Venting: Taking down braids...

DaR3alM3

I told my daughter to do hers this weekend and she got tired and took the easy way out and cut her d@#m hair. I have been working on her hair seriously since Aug 09. Now, I have to go in and operate.

PPGbubbles

yea it is definately not fun :(

I wan to do box braids with no extensions but I am terrified that I will loose all my hair trying to remove them

FroFab

I told my daughter to do hers this weekend and she got tired and took the easy way out and cut her d@#m hair. I have been working on her hair seriously since Aug 09. Now, I have to go in and operate.

Wow...that's bad. I've been trying to be patient and un-braid from the tips so that I'm not ripping my ends and causing knots but my arms are so tired. I've been at this longer than it took to put them in. Part of me wishes I'd just kept them in longer, but its been a month and I'm afraid of it locking up. :nono:

LadyPaniolo

It can be really easy if you do a little groundwork first. The night before takedown, apply a gallon and a half of cheapo conditioner, mixed with oil. Tie your braids up in a grocery bag and sleep on a towel in case of leakage.

In the morning the braids should slide right off from the scalp on down and off. The trick is to hold the braid at like a 45 degree angle to your head as you slide down.

lovelyone80

i think I am one of the few who enjoys taking down braids. all the girls in my dorm use to come to me to take them out because I'd only charge $10 and take less than 2 hours (even if you had micros). and i don't cut hair or pull it out and I detangle as I go along.

I'm a pro...doing this since I was 8 years old!

FroFab

It can be really easy if you do a little groundwork first. The night before takedown, apply a gallon and a half of cheapo conditioner, mixed with oil. Tie your braids up in a grocery bag and sleep on a towel in case of leakage.

In the morning the braids should slide right off from the scalp on down and off. The trick is to hold the braid at like a 45 degree angle to your head as you slide down.

I didn't add extensions so I've just got to deal with this with care. This is, however, a good suggestion for the next time I get extensions.
THX

loveable37

DEFINITELY will keep this in mind soon as i get tired of mines its finna be a months but since this hair not cheap im waitin at least 2 months depends on how my hair reacts after taking them down either i go natural or cut all my hair off aleast i have couple inches of newgrowth.:nono:

DaR3alM3

I wish I would have known this Sat. Live & Learn.

yardyspice

I had a lot of growth with braids but I hate taking them down! I was going to put up a thread about a product called Take Down that a lady on the forum used to take down her dreads. Has anyone ever heard of anyone using this for dreads?

Attachments

• Take down poster3.jpg
    Take down poster3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 16

thehairmaverick

Does it matter what type of oil? Should it be a thick oil or thin one? I'm taking my braids down this weekend...

beans4reezy

Patience and distraction are key for me in taking down my braids. I make sure that I have my Martin or The Jeffersons DVD collection on and I go to town! Watching television is a good distraction for me while I take them out. By the time I am done, it never feels like it took long.

Leeda.the.Paladin

This is so true. I always saturate mine with oil (especially the ends) before taking them down, makes things go much smoother.

Nonie

i think I am one of the few who enjoys taking down braids. all the girls in my dorm use to come to me to take them out because I'd only charge $10 and take less than 2 hours (even if you had micros). and i don't cut hair or pull it out and I detangle as I go along.

I feel the same way. Heck, it's how I pass time while watching TV. I'm always undoing and redoing a braid. I actually enjoy it...and sometimes my hubby has to remind me that we have company and it's not very becoming to fiddle with hair in front of guests. :giggle:

Patience and distraction are key for me in taking down my braids. I make sure that I have my Martin or The Jeffersons DVD collection on and I go to town! Watching television is a good distraction for me while I take them out. By the time I am done, it never feels like it took long.

That's my way too. Only I don't like Martin. Too goofy and exaggerated are his antics that they are just annoying to me. :nono: I usually just watch whatever is good on TV or rent a DVD or two.

Do those who find it a pain use a comb? I don't; I use my fingers and it's really a HIH diseased chick's dream to undo braids.

jcdlox

I just took mine out last night for the first time. It took 4 hours and two times through the movie SAW :spinning:

LadyPaniolo

Does it matter what type of oil? Should it be a thick oil or thin one? I'm taking my braids down this weekend...

I haven't found that it matters what kind of oil you use. I've used olive oil, sweet almond oil and even regular old canola oil out of the kitchen cupboard :lachen: it just needs to be really really slick in your head. This way the braiding hair slides right out nice and easy as you please.

ITA that you need some kind of distraction, like a good DVD or TV show. Doing that with nothing to watch would have me :spinning: in no time.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
OK, good.. I used to think something was wrong with me.. :laugh:

How about take them down, detangle, wash, condition, blowdry and re-braid... I did this for my older sis once. Patience or determination..not sure which. lol