Retaining Length with natural hair- What your best method?

What has helped you retain the most length?

• Baggying

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Straightening pretty consistently

Votes: 13 5.0%
  • Twist/Braid Outs

Votes: 18 6.9%
  • Twists or Braids

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Bunning

Votes: 32 12.3%
  • Fully detangling more than 4 times a week

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Weaves

Votes: 22 8.5%
  • Low manipulation

Votes: 97 37.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lexiwiththecurls

To Ladies that are natural- What have you done that works best for you to retain length?
When I first went 100% natural, I used to get my hair straightened every 2 weeks and I retained waaayy more length than when I did twist outs/wash and go's. I did all natural styles from Dec 08-Jan 2010. I straightened my hair for the first time in over a year and I haven't retained as much length as I used to when I did constantly straighten. I believe it is due to my super coily/kinky hair wrapping around the other hairs and creating those balls on the end of my hair.
I am not stuck on the method of keeping my hair straight most of the time- even though it is what worked for me in the past.

I am looking for ideas and what helped others retain length and health. Is it the frequency that you detangle your hair, doing twist outs and staying away from wash and go's, keeping your hair in twists, bunning,baggying etc...? I see alot of Challenges with different styles and methods---but based on challenges that you have participated in..which worked the best for you to retain health and length? Thanks

naturalmanenyc

I have not participated in any challenges and am newly natural as of 12/2009; however, single strands knots are the one thing that I have noticed keeps naturals from retaining length. You can only get rid of them by cutting them off.

If I am wearing my hair out (sort of wash & go) I cover it in conditioner (curly primer method). I find that the coating keeps the hair from tangling around itself.

http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/curly-primer-method/

I also put in a Brazilian Keratin every few months and that has also cut down on the single strand knots. I have only noticed ONE single strand knot in the last month.

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
Well... what I can say is that retaining length for me has ALOT to do with the frequency of washing my hair. I neglected to wash my hair in the time frame that I was used to and lo and behold...note siggy pics. :(

Heat is my hair's friend too. I have to deep condition during every wash. I rollerset my hair to dry. I know for a fact that airdrying breaks my hair off. What I'm going to attempt to do is dry my hair in big braids with rollers just on the ends. Perhaps that will cut down on the drying time. I'm in the experimenting stage right now.

RoseGolden

Definitely weaves for me. Once the initial install is in, it requires no manipulation to your hair for weeks and your ends are safely tucked away. I retain so much length when I keep my hair weaved up.

Last edited:

cmw45

To Ladies that are natural- What have you done that works best for you to retain length?
When I first went 100% natural, I used to get my hair straightened every 2 weeks and I retained waaayy more length than when I did twist outs/wash and go's. I did all natural styles from Dec 08-Jan 2010. I straightened my hair for the first time in over a year and I haven't retained as much length as I used to when I did constantly straighten. I believe it is due to my super coily/kinky hair wrapping around the other hairs and creating those balls on the end of my hair.
I am not stuck on the method of keeping my hair straight most of the time- even though it is what worked for me in the past.

I am looking for ideas and what helped others retain length and health. Is it the frequency that you detangle your hair, doing twist outs and staying away from wash and go's, keeping your hair in twists, bunning,baggying etc...? I see alot of Challenges with different styles and methods---but based on challenges that you have participated in..which worked the best for you to retain health and length? Thanks

Welcome to the wonderful world of ssks (single strand knots). The only thing that has worked for me is low to no manipulation. However my hair has done better in cornrows than in individual braids (with extensions). I retained length with my first and only install...but the cornrows were put in too tight and I lost a lot of hair. So I vote for no to low manipulation; I don't know how necessary it is to maintain length once you have reached your goal but to maintain length as your grow it is absolutely key for me.

Definitely weaves for me. One the initial install is in, it requires no manipulation to your hair for weeks and your ends are safely tucked away. I retain so much length when I keep my hair weaved up.

:yep: OT: Your progress is AMAZING! Your hair looks so thick and healthy.

winnettag

For me, it's low manipulation and braiding.
I keep my hair in cornrows for 4 weeks at a time, washing and DCing every week......combing only once a month. Or I put in individual braids for 2 months, washing once a week.

RoseGolden

Welcome to the wonderful world of ssks (single strand knots). The only thing that has worked for me is low to no manipulation. However my hair has done better in cornrows than in individual braids (with extensions). I retained length with my first and only install...but the cornrows were put in too tight and I lost a lot of hair. So I vote for no to low manipulation; I don't know how necessary it is to maintain length once you have reached your goal but to maintain length as your grow it is absolutely key for me.

:yep: OT: Your progress is AMAZING! Your hair looks so thick and healthy.

Thank you so much! :grin:

naturalmanenyc

I am going to try low manipulation (via extensions). I had my second set of crochet braids installed today.

http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/crochet-braids-curl/

I plan to keep them in for 12 weeks and I expect to be APL by the time they come out.

My hair did not do well with sew-in weaves; however, I was admittedly not taking care of my own hair under the weave in between salon visits. With braided extensions, it is much easier to keep my own hair completely tucked away & moisturized while maintaining a sleek hairstyle.

tkj25

for me it's been yarn braids & twists (with my own hair). these styles allow me to keep my hair stretched, with minimal manipulation. i moisturize/spray daily to every-other day, and no-poo weekly. i dc about every 2 months, or when my hair needs it, and keep heat styling to a minimum 3-4 times a year.

NikStarrr

I think I've retained a lot since my BC--and I owe it all to twist/braidouts. That is definitely how I wear my hair the most. For me twistout/braidouts are low manip, which is what makes it ideal for me.

spacetygrss

-Low-manipulation styles such as twists/braids or twist-outs.
-Regular deep conditioning with heat
-regular conditioning rinses with twists/braids in
-maintaining my ends (keeping them moisturized, trimmed)
-regular protein treatments--it's a myth that just because you're natural you don't need protein treatments. It varies from person to person.

lilsparkle825

i think the best way to retain length for me has been braids/twists with extensions...every time that i have self-installed kinky twists, senegalese twists, or box braids, i have been able to overcome what seemed like stagnant growth or even setbacks. at the end of last winter, i was disappointed by the fact that frequent WNGs murdered my ends, forcing me to get two trims in less than 8 weeks. as a result, i just wanted to put my hair away, and i chose to do so in senegalese twists. my ends were nearly perfect when i took down my twists....so much that when i suffered severe matting and tangling from sitting in a hospital bed for almost two weeks last month, i immediately asked my cousin to help me install box braids once i got home. three weeks into my 8 week attempt to keep these in, i am hoping to have regained what i lost when i was finally able to detangle the birds' nest that was on top of my head right before christmas.

i am still tempted to install a weave as soon as possible to see if that method of retention works for me (i wanted to weave it up for the winter, but couldn't afford the hair i wanted...now that i am in a better place financially, i might change that to weaving it up for the spring or summer).

i also know wearing my hair straight works for me, but i haven't really done this longer than 4-6 weeks at any one point since my BC. i bore easily.

Chameleonchick

-Low-manipulation styles such as twists/braids or twist-outs.
-Regular deep conditioning with heat
-regular conditioning rinses with twists/braids in
-maintaining my ends (keeping them moisturized, trimmed)
-regular protein treatments--it's a myth that just because you're natural you don't need protein treatments. It varies from person to person.

I totally agree! :yep:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I retained the most length when I wet bunned most of last year, but since it's been so cold and I would like to wear hats without getting them wet and the fact that I'm preggo and after I deliver I'll be dealing with an infant, I'm on a personal box braids challenge this year to see if I can retain length like I did last year if it works by the end of the year I should be at/or very close to bsl :pray:

Bella02

Definitely weaves for me. Once the initial install is in, it requires no manipulation to your hair for weeks and your ends are safely tucked away. I retain so much length when I keep my hair weaved up.

+1.I totally agree. Weaves have allowed me to retain so much length on my HHJ.

godsflowerrr

I voted low manipulation. I only comb my hair weekly while my hair is loaded with my deep conditioning treatment. I just finger comb it during the week. I also maintain a nice balance of protein and moisture during the week which prevents breakage on the ends.

Mdmommy99

I voted low manipulation. I only comb my hair weekly while my hair is loaded with my deep conditioning treatment. I just finger comb it during the week. I also maintain a nice balance of protein and moisture during the week which prevents breakage on the ends.

What styles do you do for low manipulation? I don't wear weaves or extension braids because I don't like the way they feel in my hair but my hair is very fine and doesn't always look right in twists.

yamilee21

I chose bunning, but really, it was bunning, low manipulation (de-tangling only when washing), co-washing 3-4 a week and minimal heat (straightening 4 times per year or less) that got me past the length I had been "stuck" at for a dozen years.

cmw45

i think the best way to retain length for me has been braids/twists with extensions...every time that i have self-installed kinky twists, senegalese twists, or box braids, i have been able to overcome what seemed like stagnant growth or even setbacks. at the end of last winter, i was disappointed by the fact that frequent WNGs murdered my ends, forcing me to get two trims in less than 8 weeks. as a result, i just wanted to put my hair away, and i chose to do so in senegalese twists. my ends were nearly perfect when i took down my twists....so much that when i suffered severe matting and tangling from sitting in a hospital bed for almost two weeks last month, i immediately asked my cousin to help me install box braids once i got home. three weeks into my 8 week attempt to keep these in, i am hoping to have regained what i lost when i was finally able to detangle the birds' nest that was on top of my head right before christmas.

i am still tempted to install a weave as soon as possible to see if that method of retention works for me (i wanted to weave it up for the winter, but couldn't afford the hair i wanted...now that i am in a better place financially, i might change that to weaving it up for the spring or summer).

i also know wearing my hair straight works for me, but i haven't really done this longer than 4-6 weeks at any one point since my BC. i bore easily.

OT: I just saw your sister's album. WOW! She is so lucky to have you for a sister. You did an GREAT job on her hair. :grin:

LongCurlz

I have retained an average amount of length, I wear half wigs about 90% of the year, moisturize about every other day.

For the next six months I'm going to do low manipulation for the next 6 months to see how that works out for me mainly I'm gonna wash my hair less and not wear it "out" at all.

silenttullip

for me: conditioning, moisturizing, and sealing my medium sized twists every 3 days works and keeping my hair tiwd up helps a lot even when I wear a wig "combless human only" I still have a durag type scarf under. I keep my twists about 2 weeks. For the longest I failed to see the big deal or how to moisturize and seal but now I see the difference. Also search and destroy combined with moisture and protein balancing.

Shoediva

Wow! great job with your sisters hair. Your sisters hair is the EXACT same texture and shrinkage as my daughter. My daughter is retaining her length you can only tell when I straightening it though.. She has been wearing 2 strand twist since Oct 09.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Too frequent wash 'n gos tend to wreck my ends too, so I have to find a happy medium. Twist-outs helped me to retain more length. I wore twist-outs for the entire summer in 2009.

Last semester, I wore my hair pulled back in a ponytail, but I made sure to keep my ends sealed, and I moisturized my hair with KBB Hair Milk everyday. Even though my ends were still "out" I didn't really notice any harsh results and I still made my goal of APL by Dec 2010. I'm thinking about going back to wearing ponytails the warmer it gets.

I've just now started wearing my hair in buns during the week (and wash 'n go on weekends), and it's doing fine so far. If I reach my next goal this summer, I'll know that what I've been doing hasn't caused any adverse reactions to my hair.

I also detangle my hair every 2-3 days, to cut down on tangles. I do still get knots as an inevitable, but they haven't gotten bad at all. I think this is a big factor in why I am still able to retain length.

Last edited: