STYLE FILE: Cornrows

naturalmanenyc

My inspirations:

My hair style:

Day 20:

Link to photos: http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/i-am-rocking-cornro/

cmw45

I often hear people say that cornrows are "thuggish" or "unprofessional." I guess that kind of saddens me because I think that this mentality originates with corporate America and what it deems as "acceptable." (Note: It is only recently become "acceptable" in the military). And at one point, people thought natural highly textured hair, in any state, was "unprofessional." Note: This post is not meant to be inflamatory.

I think cornrows can be beautiful (even elegant) and am hoping to learn how to do them. Someone I look to for inspiration is Mook...who I think has a tutorial. (I'll wait for Mook to post or chime in before I raid her post for her pictures :grin:

ETA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornrows

Last edited:

tash85

very skillful!
Just a question, at the meet up... did you do your own hair in that intricate pattern?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
@ Aviah-omg!! the styles in your album are really lovely!
i especially love the cornrowed bun!

Aviah

very skillful!
Just a question, at the meet up... did you do your own hair in that intricate pattern?

Thanks. I did do that one, its also in the album. Patterns are really simple once you get the hang of it.

I still love your hair at the meetup. Really beautiful.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Thank you! I can finally see how to start a braid! I actually think I did one good one! That's a step in the right direction!:rosebud::clapping: If I could get this style down pat, my transition will be a breeze!:yep: Whoo hoo! This made my day!

Last edited:
Thank you Aviah!!! I am just learning how to get the hang of braiding like this. I'm getting good at doing my own hair, but boy, uh uh on anyone else's. I'm gonna watch your tutorials....hopefully I'll be able to do a pattern one day :)

My inspirations:

My hair style:

Your style came out beautifully and it is so close to your inspiration. And oh my! It lasted 20 days. That's great. Is there a tutorial on this somewhere? What kind of hair is it that you have coming out of the braids? ***creeping out the back door to stalk your fotki***

This is very interesting. Guess I'll be playing with my mannequin this weekend. LOL!

angenoir

Wow! This thread has some great cornrow styles!

Just one question for constant cornrow wearers?
1) Do you use extensions?
2) And if you do use extensions how has this affected your edges?

naturalmanenyc

It was synthetic hair but I do not know the brand. I had it done at the salon and she supplied the hair. It's a combo of cornrows, then transitioned to silky dreads & then transitioned to two strand twists with the twists gathered into a bun.

Crappy cell phone photo of the take down (my camera had broken) but you get the idea.

Your style came out beautifully and it is so close to your inspiration. And oh my! It lasted 20 days. That's great. Is there a tutorial on this somewhere? What kind of hair is it that you have coming out of the braids? ***creeping out the back door to stalk your fotki***

This is very interesting. Guess I'll be playing with my mannequin this weekend. LOL!

Geesh, I'm gonna have to figure this out. One more question...do you know if your cornrows went all the way down to the nape? I'm wondering if maybe she did the silky dreads/twists on top of the cornrows using the crochet method or something. I have a couple ideas, I'm just wondering how to best put this together.

naturalmanenyc

She did not crochet.

The cornrows went over the crown and then away from my scalp. She kept braiding for a few inches, stopped to do the silky dreads, and then she twisted the remaining hair. There were separate cornrows/twists at the nape.

Geesh, I'm gonna have to figure this out. One more question...do you know if your cornrows went all the way down to the nape? I'm wondering if maybe she did the silky dreads/twists on top of the cornrows using the crochet method or something. I have a couple ideas, I'm just wondering how to best put this together.

angenoir

Speaking of cornrows I still love Kara Saun's look :yep:

Attachments

• KaraSaun.jpg
    KaraSaun.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 51
  • kara saun bigger briads.jpg
    kara saun bigger briads.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 46

longhairlover

dang I wish you were in the states, even watching your vids, I still couldn't braid that nice on myself or a mannequin lmao!!!

those cornrows are really nice, inspiring me to get some done again, after alicia keys I stopped getting cornrows.

alanaj

Aviah,

I was inspired by your cornrow style. I've never done cornrows before only flat twists but I looked at your video and it helped a lot! Here's some pics of the end result.
My bun is pathetic but eventually it will get there:yep:

Attachments

• CIMG3705.jpg
    CIMG3705.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 30
  • CIMG3706.jpg
    CIMG3706.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 26
  • CIMG3707.jpg
    CIMG3707.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 26
  • CIMG3709.jpg
    CIMG3709.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 26

BlkOnyx488

I really like this style.
I might be able to do it on my head
thanks for posting

Attachments

• inspriration cornrow.jpg
    inspriration cornrow.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 11

Bublin

I would love to learn how to do inverted cornrows (the one's that don't sit ontop of your head).

HauteHippie

Oooh, cute styles! I'm thinking that I will get inverted cornrows braided into a french braid sometime later this year as a protective style. Then, when I'm done with the french braid, I'll just wear a hawk.