Ask a long haired natural

Miss AJ

Idk if this has been done before but instead of bombarding all my inspirations inboxes with elevendy billion PMs lol I figured it would be easier to ask general questions here and all the long haired nappies can chime in where they see fit! Alright I'm gonna go first:

1. Is it difficult to deal with long (APL and longer) natural hair?

2. Do you go through a ton of products?

3. If you are military or know a long haired napp in the military, how do you (or they) stay within regulation? I'm Air Force and for women the bulk of the hairstyle cannot exceed 3 inches(an example, I wore buns when my hair was long so my bun is not allowed to stick out further than 3 inches from my head). My ultimate goal is WL and my hair is thick so im not sure if it would even be possible for me to keep WL hair.

BostonMaria

Hey Miss AJ, I don't mind answering your questions:

Not at all. I BC'd when I was about NL (maybe shorter) and I've tweaked my regimen whenever I felt like it was time to make a change. If anything I find it easier to do my hair now because worse case scenario I can just slap it in a ponytail if I don't feel like doing much.

2. Do you go through a ton of products? No. When I was newly natural I went through so many bottles of products, but it was mostly because I was experimenting and was trying out what worked for me. Now I am trying to keep it simple. A few bottles of oils, Suave conditioner, AOHR, shea butter and my rollersets is all I need this winter. I realized a few months ago (maybe when I became MBL) that I didn't need to do so much anymore. I also noticed that the majority of the women with long hair on this forum didn't have a complicated regimen either.

3. If you are military or know a long haired napp in the military, how do you (or they) stay within regulation? Sorry I'm not in the military. My cousin is in the Navy, has natural hair, and keeps it in a short NL bob.

Miss AJ

is this gonna go by hair type? that'd be really helpful

Ah I forgot about that. I assumed most posters had their hair types in their siggies but my main focus was all the long haired members who don't relax because long curly hair of any type takes more to care for than naturally straight or relaxed hair IMO.

FNP-2009

NOt difficult, but I'll be completely honest, I spend a LOT of time in a ponytail because of a lack of a style. No bangs, nada.
I use Ojon leave in once every 6 weeks, shampoo w/ Nexxus Aloe Rid and Condition w/ Nexxus Ensure. Flat iron once a month, and wear wet dn curly when I'm a lazy bum!
Sorry, not a member of the DoD

BostonMaria

How often do you comb your hair and with what?

I comb my hair every day. Right now its rollerset, which is how I keep it in the winter. I will wake up and comb it. Then at night time I will apply an oil or shea butter then put it in a high ponytail or do one braid before I go to bed. I'm using a Jiberee (sp?) comb. In the summer time I co-wash pretty much every night and detangle every day, protective bun at night. I detangle with the Jiberee comb and then follow it up with my Denman brush. I stopped detangling 100% with the Denman because I noticed much breakage. I use it more to pop the curls.

thanks Maria! bumping for more responses...

My pleasure. Hope it helps others.

NOt difficult, but I'll be completely honest, I spend a LOT of time in a ponytail because of a lack of a style. No bangs, nada.
I use Ojon leave in once every 6 weeks, shampoo w/ Nexxus Aloe Rid and Condition w/ Nexxus Ensure. Flat iron once a month, and wear wet dn curly when I'm a lazy bum!
Sorry, not a member of the DoD

Hey FNP-2009, what's "DoD" stand for?

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
I'm not APL yet, but I don't have any problems dealing with my hair. I've been natural my whole life, and I've pretty much have it under control by now.

I do not use an excess of products, although that's subjective.

When I was active duty (go Seabees!), I would keep my hair in a French braid or two cornrows - neat, clean and off my collar.

Hope this helps. HHJ

DoD - department of defense

Last edited:

FNP-2009

I comb my hair every day. Right now its rollerset, which is how I keep it in the winter. I will wake up and comb it. Then at night time I will apply an oil or shea butter then put it in a high ponytail or do one braid before I go to bed. I'm using a Jiberee (sp?) comb. In the summer time I co-wash pretty much every night and detangle every day, protective bun at night. I detangle with the Jiberee comb and then follow it up with my Denman brush. I stopped detangling 100% with the Denman because I noticed much breakage. I use it more to pop the curls.

My pleasure. Hope it helps others.

Hey FNP-2009, what's "DoD" stand for?

Department of Defense....thanks Miss AJ.
Oh yeah, I forgot.......I use a slk head scarf EVERY night, come hell or high water! My poor husband is so used to it, that if I fall asleep, he'll wake me and REMIND ME!!!!!! HAHAHA Poor man!

Miss AJ

Department of Defense....thanks Miss AJ.
Oh yeah, I forgot.......I use a slk head scarf EVERY night, come hell or high water! My poor husband is so used to it, that if I fall asleep, he'll wake me and REMIND ME!!!!!! HAHAHA Poor man!

That is awesome lol. I'm extremely dilligent about not letting my head touch a pillow without a scarf or bonnet on. I can be dead dog tired or stumbling in from a night of drinking and STILL reach for that bonnet before crash landing on my bed lol.

pinkchocolatedaisy

Do any of you (long haired naturals) use protective styles or did you to get to where you are now? I love wearing twists but with 3 kids (my 2 youngest are 3 and the other 8 mos) it's hard to spend hours on my hair. So lately I've been doing w-n-g's and pony/puffs.

PhonyBaloney500

Harder to deal with? No.

Use more products than normal? No.
ETA: OK MAYBE. Because my liter of Elucence isn't going to last me two years like it used to. I might get a year and a couple months out of it. BUT I used WAY more conditioners back in the day in my experimental junkie stage. I recall using Avalon Organics a lot (it was on sale often), Jessicurl (great stuff), etc. NOW I mostly JUST use the Elucence. So it's probably about even. Now I use the Elucence as the detangling conditioner almost exclusively.

Combing hair? Once a week with conditioner with a shower brush (earth something from Whole Foods or Denman when it's not sliding off the base and acting up).

Hair type: 4a mostly.

Last edited:

FNP-2009

You go girl!
Hey, how do you determine hair type
I've never had a chemical straightening, but I do flat iron.
I wash it and wear it curly with a leave in and some gel.

BostonMaria

Maria: Do you airdry your rollersets or sit under the dryer?

Last year I used to air dry, but my hair is too long and thick now. I think it would take me 8 hours to naturally dry LOL no lie! So I have a bonnet dryer and I just fall asleep with it on. Its pretty old and doesn't get hot. I am going to invest in a Pibbs soon. The winter has its benefits though - I don't flatiron anymore. I just rollerset and put it up in a ponytail. I get the prettiest cascading curls. If I tried to do this in the summer time I'd look a HAM.

By the way, my DH says I'm plugging myself into The Matrix whenever he sees me with my hooded dryer. :grin:

You go girl!

Here you go: http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types

Last edited:

FNP-2009

Oh, and I comb it every day, whether I want ot or not!
I wear a ponytail just because half of the time, I don't like it touching me!!!!!! And I work in the ER, so i don't want it touching ANYBODY ELSE!!!!
How are you able to comb once a week? I would KILL for that!

Miss AJ

You go girl!

When I first learned that there was more to hair typing than just straight, wavy, curly or nappy lol I was going by the Andre Walker hair typing system (http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types). There is another system (I can't recall the name right now) but at the time I was too young to go that deep into the curl pattern of each individual strand or determining thickness of strands lol so I still use the Andre system somewhat. My hair type is nappy lol but i believe I am 4a with some areas of 3c....maybe.

Miss AJ

Last year I used to air dry, but my hair is too long and thick now. I think it would take me 8 hours to naturally dry LOL no lie! So I have a bonnet dryer and I just fall asleep with it on. Its pretty old and doesn't get hot. I am going to invest in a Pibbs soon. The winter has its benefits though - I don't flatiron anymore. I just rollerset and put it up in a ponytail. I get the prettiest cascading curls. If I tried to do this in the summer time I'd look a HAM.

By the way, my DH says I'm plugging myself into The Matrix whenever he sees me with my hooded dryer. :grin:

LOL! My 4a hair got pretty straight the one time I did an airdried rollerset so I think when my hair gets longer I'll rollerset and bun and once it gets poofy I'll do out styles.

Ms. Feliz

When I first learned that there was more to hair typing than just straight, wavy, curly or nappy lol I was going by the Andre Walker hair typing system (http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types). There is another system (I can't recall the name right now) but at the time I was too young to go that deep into the curl pattern of each individual strand or determining thickness of strands lol so I still use the Andre system somewhat. My hair type is nappy lol but i believe I am 4a with some areas of 3c....maybe.

you're probably talking about the LOIS hair type system.
I'm not natural but I thought i'd put my little two cents in. :look:

keelioness

Oh, and I comb it every day, whether I want ot or not!
I wear a ponytail just because half of the time, I don't like it touching me!!!!!! And I work in the ER, so i don't want it touching ANYBODY ELSE!!!!
How are you able to comb once a week? I would KILL for that!

Your ponytail is awesome? what is your hair type? and do u dye ur hair? reggie please:drunk:

Miss AJ

@MS. Feliz-YES! That's the one! Thanks cuz I was gonna be up all night trying to figure it out lol.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
well im natural and yes i do go through alot of product, and it is harder to deal with natural long hair. it hard to comb somtimes, well most of the time.

Miss AJ

well im natural and yes i do go through alot of product, and it is harder to deal with natural long hair. it hard to comb somtimes, well most of the time.

Hey I was in your fotki earlier drooling over all that hair. Do you buy the normal sized bottles or larger salon sizes? How long can you make them last before having to repurchase products?

FNP-2009

Your ponytail is awesome? what is your hair type? and do u dye ur hair? reggie please:drunk:

Thank you...GOd Bless you!
I bleach to get it light, then deposit an ash based toner. Then follow RELIGIOUSLY after every dye job with a clear cellophane or a leave in Ojon.
I'm not sure of hair type, I don't go to shops. But I am looking into it right now ans it might be a 3a or 3b or 3c, who knows? That hair typing thing is hard!
All I know is that it's STILL on my head no matter how many times I bleach it!!!!!:wallbash:
Sorry for the stupid question....what is "reggie please"?

Last edited:

MissMeWithThatIsh

Idk if this has been done before but instead of bombarding all my inspirations inboxes with elevendy billion PMs lol I figured it would be easier to ask general questions here and all the long haired nappies can chime in where they see fit! Alright I'm gonna go first:

IMO, the longer it gets, the easier it is to deal with, especially when wet. It's also easier for me to slick back into a bun, especially as the front gets longer.

The only "difficulty" is detangling and dealing with thickness, and you'll deal with that even with shorter hair. And to be honest, if you count a person who BKTs as technically natural, the BKT cuts down on my styling while keeping my curls "natchal" as possible.

2. Do you go through a ton of products?

It depends. I don't think so. I buy lots of different conditioners, but I don't really "go through" them. Depending on how I want to style or care for my hair, I have an array of things, but it's all about trial and error. I get rid of, or "donate", things I'm not using that another PJ can play with.

3. If you are military or know a long haired napp in the military, how do you (or they) stay within regulation? I'm Air Force and for women the bulk of the hairstyle cannot exceed 3 inches(an example, I wore buns when my hair was long so my bun is not allowed to stick out further than 3 inches from my head). My ultimate goal is WL and my hair is thick so im not sure if it would even be possible for me to keep WL hair.

Slicked-back buns and wigs, I know for basic, I'll probably need cornrows or a serious slick-back bun regimen, but I won't mind. Yt women usually do the "twirl" bun (twirl the longer lengths around their hair. For the most part, I honestly think the right "short" chic wig can make for a killer military style, especially if your hair doesn't "act right" one morening.

Miss AJ

Lauryn, i still consider naturals who BKT as natural but idk too much about it...is it permanent? My bff back home did the twirl bun when she had natural WL hair and I probably can too when I get there but I can't remember how big it was.

Miss AJ

LMAO @FNP! Sorry, reggie is my lazy way of typing 'regimen' and BKT is brazilian keratin treatment.