After Relaxer Hair Care

NikkiGirl

I was wondering what you ladies do to baby your hair after a fresh relaxer. I am specifically interested in what you do like the week after? What really works to keep the hair from being dry while encouraging strength?:grin:

tri3nity

I use my non-sulfate Avalon olive and grapeseed shampoo and do a mild homemade protein treatment with silk and wheat aminos added to my favorite conditioner. Your hair is already weakened by the chemicals in the relaxer so, although my elasta shampoo for relaxed hair is supposed to be gentle and I love how it makes my hair feel, it has sodium myreth sulfate in it. So, I dont use it until I'm maybe 2 to 3 weeks post. I also do a protein treatment about 5-7 days pre-relaxer as well to strengthen the strands.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
During the Week, I usually use Moisturizing Daily Treatments and try to Stay away from Protein based 'products' and concentrate on replenishing moisture.

However, the next wash day, I will do a Protein Treatment Followed Up with a Moisturizing Deep Conditioning Treatment.:yep:

This week (1 week Post), I used Nexxus Keraphix for about 3-5 minutes and DC'ed under Heat Cap with Alter Ego Garlic to combat any 'potential' dryness and/or shedding.:yep:

chasturner84

The week after, I normally use a moisturizing poo and use a light protein condish like ApHogee 2 min Reconstructor. I use a moisturizing DC for about an 45 min with heat, add a tiny bit of protein leave in to my moisturizing leave in, and seal. I pay close attention to my ends during this time because their true colors will show 1-2 weeks after my relaxer. After that protein week, it's just moisture and babying my ends until my hair tells me otherwise.

shunemite

The week after, I normally use a moisturizing poo and use a light protein condish like ApHogee 2 min Reconstructor. I use a moisturizing DC for about an 45 min with heat, add a tiny bit of protein leave in to my moisturizing leave in, and seal. I pay close attention to my ends during this time because their true colors will show 1-2 weeks after my relaxer. After that protein week, it's just moisture and babying my ends until my hair tells me otherwise.
Same here. I do a nice DC and dry hair on low heat. I use a protein filler for protein, I like the fact that it has hydrolyzed keratin in there. It's better than collagen for my hair. Keracare humecto is good friends with my hair for moisture. I wear my hair out very much during this time coz I like the way that it looks :grin: Honestly though, I have trouble balancing moisture and protein........... sometimes I do too much humecto and have mushy hair then sometimes too much protein and my hair is hard.

Jaegermany

Because I relax with ORS ...immediately after I DC with ORS Repleneshing Pak.

The next wash day after that I use Aphogee 2 Min. Reconstructor and follow up with a moisuttizing DC usually Keracare Humecto or Organix Vanilla Silk Conditioner mixed with Coconut oil.

After that I usually do moisturizing DC....until I see signs of lack of protein......

fattyfatfat

quick question ladies:

does your shed a lot the week after a relaxer? my hair is shedding more than normal since I relaxed this past Sunday.

NikkiGirl

Hey,

My hair was shedding a little after my relaxer. Not tons, but I don't like to lose any hair. I was originally going to wear it down for a week, but my long-term goals are more important. So I washed and deep conditioned and put it back into a bun. And when I took it down to check, I combed and it wasn't falling at all. So long story short, the relaxer may have dried it out some. But mine still doesn't have the normal slip I get from conditioning before a relaxer, so I think I will clarify this weekend. Does clarifying hurt the week after a relaxer?

sunnieb

I was wondering what you ladies do to baby your hair after a fresh relaxer. I am specifically interested in what you do like the week after? What really works to keep the hair from being dry while encouraging strength?:grin:

My hair always feels dry after a fresh relaxer so I wash it two days later. :grin: For this wash, I use Motions Neutralizing Shampoo first. Then I follow that with the Motions Moisture Plus Shampoo. I DC w/heat for 20 minutes using my Motions Moisture Plus After Shampoo Conditioner. I airdry with my leave-ins and go back into my normal wash/cowash routine for the week after (Cowash 2-3x a week, Shampoo/DC 2x a week <1 w/protein 1 w/moisture>).

My hair retains moisture and feels so much better! :lick:

Last edited:

sunnieb

Hey,

My hair was shedding a little after my relaxer. Not tons, but I don't like to lose any hair. I was originally going to wear it down for a week, but my long-term goals are more important. So I washed and deep conditioned and put it back into a bun. And when I took it down to check, I combed and it wasn't falling at all. So long story short, the relaxer may have dried it out some. But mine still doesn't have the normal slip I get from conditioning before a relaxer, so I think I will clarify this weekend. Does clarifying hurt the week after a relaxer?

I never shed after a relaxer so maybe washing soon after helps me.

I use a clarifying shampoo the week after a relaxer (and every 2 weeks after that) with no problems. :yep: I use a no-lye relaxer so clarifying is a must.

LushLox

I concentrate heavily on moisture, so I will amplify my steam treatments, only for the first few weeks then go into my normal routine and incorporate protein DC's. I will also use a chelating shampoo for the first two shampoos.

amwcah

I do an ApHogee hardcore protein treatment(to add strength to my hair strands) followed by a moisturizing treatment(to soften and hydrate the strands).

gymfreak336

First wash after the relaxer, I shampoo with a mild shampoo like joico kpak or mizani botanifying shampoo. I condition for 10-15 minutes with a mild protein conditioner like elasta qp breakage control serum and follow with a detangling conditioner for a minute to detangle. I do a stronger protein treatment three weeks after the relaxer.

sunnieb

My hair always feels dry after a fresh relaxer so I wash it two days later. :grin: For this wash, I use Motions Neutralizing Shampoo first. Then I follow that with the Motions Moisture Plus Shampoo. I DC w/heat for 20 minutes using my Motions Moisture Plus After Shampoo Conditioner. I airdry with my leave-ins and go back into my normal wash/cowash routine for the week after (Cowash 2-3x a week, Shampoo/DC 2x a week <1 w/protein 1 w/moisture>).

My hair retains moisture and feels so much better! :lick:

Interesting....now that I'm self-relaxed, my hair is never dry after a relaxer! :yep:

My basic regimen is still the same though! :grin:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I don't do anything special...I also self relax and don't find my hair to be dry after.

frizzy

My hair is not dry after a relaxer either. I steam DC after relaxing.

I like to do a full head henna then indigo treatment after I relax. The hair is straight and it goes on like a dream. I have done this the same day with no problems.

I also like to do a clay mask on the scalp. I feel like this will get out any relaxer that is in my hair follicles, pull out any impurities and clarify the scalp. I don't do this the same day, but in a perfect world I will do this on my first or second wash after relaxing. I don't coat the hair, I just put it on the scalp.