BKT DAMAGE OR SATISFIED!?! All BKT users please share.

texasqt

In the wake of BKTs popularity and the lack of available and reliable information concerning its effects, it's important that we keep each other informed based on our own experiences, especially if there is a certain brand or process that's causing damage. If you've used BKT, please answer the following quesitons and add any additional information that you'd like to share. I'm interested in seeing if there is a pattern as I have had excellent results using Softliss at home.

Hair type & density:

Brand:

Formaldehyde content:

Who Applied:

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes:

Deviations from directions:

How often used:

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.):

Did hair revert after non-use:

Will continue use (yes or no):

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

me-T

Hair type & density: 4a/b, medium i guess

Brand: "dh", but considering another brand due to price gouging

Formaldehyde content: i believe 2%

Who Applied: myself

Flat-iron type & temperature: babyliss pro nano titanium, 430 degrees

Deviations from directions: none

How often used: every 2months

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): very satisfied, no damage (knock on wood)

Will continue use (yes or no): hell yea lol!

Love Always

Thanks texasqt for starting this thread. I plan on getting this treatment next week and there has been some reservations in regards to BKT for the past couple of days...especially with the brand Global :look:.

Hair type & density: 3b/c medium/thick

Brand:not sure

Formaldehyde content: 1.7 i think

Who Applied: Done at salon

Flat-iron type & temperature: i think paul mitchell, she seemed to use a blow dryer more than the flat iron? done at a dominican salon

Deviations from directions: listed above

How often used: just done 2 wks ago

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): So far i am satisfied, my hair is now 3c! lol i like it alot.

Will continue use (yes or no): Yes!

sheba1

Hair type & density: 4a/b natural with super fine strands with medium density

Brand:
Global four times and DH one time

Formaldehyde content:
2% for both

Who Applied:
I only trust me

Flat-iron type & temperature:
FHI Platform four times and Croc2 one time both with 430 degree heat (the highest temp recommended for AA hair)

Oh yeah! I apply product to towel dried hair and often cowash the next day, even with the four day formula

How often used:
Lots of variation here, for me. First two times were a week apart; then waited 4 weeks, 8 weeks and 4 months

Incredibly satisfied. The biggest plus being that bkt allows me to manipulate my hair, even when curly, without fear of single strand knots. My second favorite thing is that I can get my 4a/b hair straight without direct heat with just a roller set and silk wrap. I also feel my hair has more substance; I can handle my hair more without breakage and cowash more often without "mushiness"

I will continue to use only until they pry my BKT from my cold, lifeless hands :yep:

Edited to add number of passes: I use 4 to 6 passes on the new growth and only 2 to 3 passes on the previously BKT'd area. Hair goes from kinda dull (after applied product dries) to super shiny/silky. So then I know it's time to move on to the next section.

Last edited:

goodmorningruby

Hair type & density: Medium density, very fine, predominantly 4a, sprinkles of 4b, and some 3something at the nape

Brand: Global (I think)

Formaldehyde content: 2% (I think)

Who Applied: Me

Flat-iron type & temperature: Ceramic Tourmaline, recommended 410-430 for non-virgin hair

Deviations from directions: None...I followed the directions to a "t".

How often used: Once

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): My hair suffered severe heat damage. I overestimated the amount of heat my very fine (texlaxed) hair could take. I have several strands of hair (after several washes and 6 months later) that will not revert. They are permanently straight (heat damage). My hair thinned out and shed excessively and I noticed this immediately during and after the first wash post application. I also think it might have messed with my porosity, although that could have been attributed to Phyto. I have since gotten it all under control and my hair is much healthier. But I would never do this again. I was not completely amazed by the initial results either. I could have achieved the same look with far less heat and a few quality products, but obviously it would not last as long. And the fumes, my god...the fumes...I can live without that!! I want to be clear...this treatment is not for everyone, but it can be successful; it just was not for my hair type.

Will continue use (yes or no): No. Absolutely not.

Last edited:

lwilliams1922

great thread!

Hair type & density: 4A unrelaxed

Brand: Glo bal

Formaldehyde content: 4%

Who Applied: me

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes: 430 I do the new growth 5-7 times
bEFORE doing the entire length 10 times.

Deviations from directions: I alternate between full treatments and touchups

How often used: about every 8 weeks

It works as before my hair would revert and frizz within the hour.

I will continue for now but I am looking to try a formaldehyde free that wont break the bank.

Last edited:

Thann

Hair type & density: 4, medium, texlaxed

Brand: Global

Formaldehyde content: 2%

Who Applied:
Self

Flat-iron type & temperature: Sedu Revolution, 390

Deviations from directions: None. Followed every step as written.

How often used: 1x

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): Was initially very satisfied until months passed and my texlaxed hair never reverted and my hair had considerably thinned in appearance. These sections of my hair are bone straight and my ends seem to just disappear in some sort of tapering effect. My new growth reverted fine after 2 months, but I do feel that my texlaxed hair was permanently damaged.

Possibly, but only on my natural and unprocessed hair. I would never consider using it again on MY texlaxed hair.

cutenss

Hair type & density: 3 something or 4ish, and fine (all natural)

Brand: OK :yep:, QOD MAX :nono::sad::nono:, DH :yep: but I am discontinuing them from me

Formaldehyde content: OK 1.75% the others I don't know

Who Applied: ME

Flat-iron type & temperature: BabyBliss and Maxiglide with OK and QOD MAX, and Sedu Revolution with DH

Deviations from directions: The very first time no, after that I tweeked it for MY needs

How often used: Started out once a month from May to October. Now it will be every 3 months starting in January

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): Love it :love2:

Yes. I love the way it makes me and mt hair feel. And since I will never relax again, this is the best alternative for ME :yep:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Hair type & density: 3c /4a

Brand: DreamHair

Who Applied: Myself :grin:

Flat-iron type & temperature: no higher than 430

Deviations from directions: None

How often used: only once

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): Overall satisfied! so far I have not seen any damage. As the weeks go by, my hair has more volume and straightens much easier (less tangles).

Will continue use (yes or no): If I do it again, it will be in the next 8 or so months (transitioning and would like to get used to handling my curly texture).

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I have done the BKT process on all types. Thick, medium, thin, relaxed, natural and transitioning. BKT has to be customized for every head of hair. Some people's hair takes ten swipes while others only take five. Knowing when only comes with experience. Now I'll answer questions based on my hair.

Hair type & density: 4a fine to medium strands. Looks thick because of the extra density.

Brand: Marcia Teixeira( I believe it to be the best as I have tried others)

Formaldehyde content: .02%

Who Applied: Self( I am a licensed stylist)

Flat-iron type & temperature: FHI Runway 450 degrees, ten passes

Deviations from directions: None.

How often used: every 4 months.

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.):It makes my hair especially new growth way more manageable. Makes my hair soft and silky.

Will continue use (yes or no): Yes

Last edited:

Desarae

Hair type & density: Fine 4 Relaxed

Brand: Softliss

Formaldehyde content: None

Who Applied: Self

Flat-iron type & temperature: Babyliss 450 degrees 5-7 passes

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): Not Satisfied. My hair looked fried and very flyaway. I immediately noticed heat damage and breakage. My hair felt very coated and would not accept moisture treatments. I was not impressed with the results, my hair was not silkier, shiner or stronger. Could have been the product though.

No, I'm too scurred...Maybe if I was natural I would try another brand. I personally know people who have had amazing results with different brands.

Last edited:

texasqt

Thanks ladies for sharing! Very insightful. I changed the original questions to add # of passes when flat ironing so feel free to edit your post and add this info.

carolb21

Hair type & density: 4B, thick & coarse

Brand: Global 4% & rejuvenol 2%

Formaldehyde content: 4% & 2%

Who Applied: professional 1st time, myself after

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes: 450 - 8/10 passes

Deviations from directions: did not use clarifying shampoo or blowdried hair 30-50% dry

How often used: once a month

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): very satisfied, hair felt like silk

yes, probably since I will never relax again

If you do not use a lot of product then the fumes are not bad at all. The first time I used too much and my bathroom was the pits. Once you use the comb to apply you can control the amount much better. I wanted to try the DH but the price is ridiculous.............:nono:

MarieB

Hair type & density: 2c/3a, fine to medium, with random textures throughout

Brand: 1)Marcia Teixeira, 2)Softliss, 3)Global, 4)that which shall not be named (no justice, no free advertising:lachen:!)

Formaldehyde content: 1)no idea..., 2) they claim none, but the fumes and smell were about the same if not worse than Global to me, 3)4 percent, I think, 4) 2 percent

Who Applied: 1) unsprungsalon (a local Portland salon that was linked in the big BKT thread, and only reasonably-priced salon I could find), 2-4) self

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes: unsprung, no idea; me: Tool Science, 450, 4-6 passes, more if I used too much product

Deviations from directions: salon, not that I could tell; self: skipped the naked blow-dry, opting to air-dry then apply to damp hair

How often used: about every 6-8 weeks depending on growth and how much the last one has worn off

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): Love it! My hair is so easy to manage, and I no longer fear rain (huge plus in the Pacific Northwest), wind, heat, whatever. I gave myself my last real relaxer touch-up in March, one month before my first BKT (attempted tex-lax in October, but I think my relaxer was past the good-by date so my NG just laughed at it and shook its head pityingly). I air-dry most of the time now, then wrap at night, and my hair is very healthy as a result. I never would have dared to use a fine tooth on my wet or damp hair before this, but no problems now. I am using the BKT to transition, and cutting away the damaged relaxed hair as I find it. Definitely a keeper for me!

Will continue use (yes or no): Unless something better comes along, this is my new BFF!

I would like to add that I got it done at a salon first because back then there weren't too many people on the board who had done it or were talking about it, and, while I did meticulous research, I also wanted to see how it was done firsthand and what the results were to gauge whether or not it was something I could or would be willing to do myself.

HTH!

naturalmanenyc

Hair type & density:
4a

Brand:
Lasio One day treatment once and Rejuvenol 4 times

Formaldehyde content:
2%

Who Applied:
Salon twice (Lasio and Rejuvenol) then applied at home with hubby, now I do it on my own

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes: I don't recall the salon irons but I used Maxiglide initially at 430 with 5-7 passes and FHI Runway at 450 most recently with just 2 passes

Applied to towel dried or air dried hair. I skip the naked blow dry

How often used:
Initially lasio and rejuvenol were done weeks apart, then every 8 weeks the next 2 times, then 4 months later since I was in braids and twists.

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): I noticed no damage and a slightly looser curl pattern, from 4a to 3c

Will continue use (yes or no): yes, I bought the kit and will keep using it

Last edited:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Hair type & density: 3C/4A, medium thickness, almost BSL, transitioning (with 2 inches of relaxed ends)

Brand: Softliss

Formaldehyde content: FormaldeFree

Who Applied: Br*nze

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes: RUSK STR8 100% Ceramic, 450 degrees with 7-8 passes (will never do that many again)

How often used: Once, July '09

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): Very satisifed, however, I did experience some shedding and breakage about 1 month into the treatment - but,to be fair, I have compromised ends that truly need to be trimmed (2 inches). I also think the number of passes contributed to this. The shedding curtailed with deep conditioning, heavy protein and coffee rinsing.

Yes, probably not for a few more months, my hair is well-behaved now, so I'm leaving it alone. When I flatiron, i'm not getting crazy reversion, so i'm happy. I truly thought I would have reapplied at least 4 times already, but the one time treatment really got me over the summer time Houston Humidity where I could enjoy my hair. I've been wet bunning and trying to leave my hair alone. I've straightened my hair about 4 or 5 times and it's been wonderful. I hate that others have experienced setbacks, but I'd still recommend it based on my experience.

Eisani

Hair type & density: 3c/4a, fine and dense, 25 months post tex(re)laxer

Brand:
*DH*

Formaldehyde content:
2%

Who Applied:
Me

FHI Platform, 420, 3 passes

Use Elucence Clarifying poo instead of *DH*, wash 3-5 days later, don't let it hang bone straight until 1st wash (wrap).

How often used:
Twice since October

Love the results! Feels relaxer straight, but my curls bounce right back upon washing.

Probably. If I don't, it'll be because I'm just fickle like that.

texasqt

OK, you did not ask, but I thought I could tell you what I know about BKT. I'm Brazilian and I've tried this treatment twice when living in my home country. I would say this fad started 5, 4 years ago. From what I know, in the beginning many people lost hair and some died (yes died due to respiratory issues) from the effects of excessive formaldehyde. After all the problems linked to BKT, Brazilian authorities decided to approve only brands containing up to 2%. However, everybody there knows that there are stylists that use much more than that. What I see happening in this country is that there are a lot of not very known brands selling the treatment. My personal experience taught me not to do it again because both times I had a lot of damage from heat and shedding. I know there are other brazilians on this board and maybe they could add something.

Thanks for sharing but we need to know exactly which brand did you use in the past that caused damage to your hair? Please fill out the form.

We've heard and will continue to hear the horror stories of hair loss and death but without knowing specifically who or what contributed to it (heat use) doesn't help when BKT is still being used and sold in the states. :deadhorse:

Maybe the approved 2% should still be lowered. Maybe with 4 years passing research has been done to improve the formula. IDK. Not all BKTs are the same (some are formaldehyde free) but there may be a few money hungry manufacturers that we need to steer clear of based on exactly what you explained. They don't have our best interest at heart, but together we do!
:lots:

Last edited:

Muse

Hair type & density: 4b natural, fine

Brand:
DH (searching for replacement due to price increase :nono:)

Formaldehyde content:
2%

Who Applied:
Me

Jilbere Palladium Ceramic-450 1st time, between 430-440 after; I don't count passes anymore just keep swiping until it feels right and move on

Heat temp used

How often used:
3xs so far/monthly applications for now

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): So far so good, hope this keeps up. The first time I did it I noticed SO MANY SSKs and now VERY few. I do not get the tangles that I use to get (not even close!). Hair is soft responds a lot better to moisturizers and I think this treatment totally corrected my awful porosity issue.

Did hair revert after non-use:
Sure did, this is why I do monthly treatments for now because my natural hair doesn't hold on to ANYTHING for too long:lachen:. I want to get a nice build up going then back off and do treatments every few months.

Absolutely! I cannot personally handle my natural hair and gain any real length and relaxers eat my hair and scalp up. This seems to be a happy medium. I am keeping a close eye on any negative effects and if I pinpoint any I will report them.

brittanynic16

Hair type & density: Natural 4a, very thick

Formaldehyde content: 4%

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes: FHI, 450, 10 passes

Deviations from directions: I Don't: wash first before and sometimes wash out the same day

How often used: every 6 to 8 weeks for 2 years

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): I love the BTK my hair is in the best condition its ever been in. My hair is longer than its ever been. My hair looks beautiful and people compliment my hair all the time. I have no heat damage. My hair is silky and SUPER easy to style.

Will continue use (yes or no): I don't see myself not using it.

Vintageglam

Thann - this is exactly what I said in another thread and I was told I was wrong. I think BKT was not created for our hair type and especially not for our hair that has already been chemically treated. Whilst the previous chemical treatments may make the hair more porous and therefore "take" better I feel that it may also "further weaken" the hair.

I have noticed however that naturals like Sheba and Tiffany have gotten better results with BKT especially when they use it for manageability rather than straightness.

Hair type & density: 4, medium, texlaxed

Who Applied:
Self

Flat-iron type & temperature: Sedu Revolution, 390

Deviations from directions: None. Followed every step as written.

How often used: 1x

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): Was initially very satisfied until months passed and my texlaxed hair never reverted and my hair had considerably thinned in appearance. These sections of my hair are bone straight and my ends seem to just disappear in some sort of tapering effect. My new growth reverted fine after 2 months, but I do feel that my texlaxed hair was permanently damaged.

Possibly, but only on my natural and unprocessed hair. I would never consider using it again on MY texlaxed hair.

texasqt

Thann - this is exactly what I said in another thread and I was told I was wrong. I think BKT was not created for our hair type and especially not for our hair that has already been chemically treated. Whilst the previous chemical treatments may make the hair more porous and therefore "take" better I feel that it may also "further weaken" the hair.

I have noticed however that naturals like Sheba and Tiffany have gotten better results with BKT especially when they use it for manageability rather than straightness.

Interesting. Did you also use 390 degress like Thann? My hair was texlaxed prior to use and now I only have about 3 inches of virgin hair. The rest is what was texlaxed. When I first did my treatment with Softliss I used a lower heat setting (410) and found that the treatment was not fully "baked" into my hair so it was not effective. It had gotten coarse, brittle, definitely had a coating, and breakage continued. Not until I raised the temperature and went over it again did I finally see satisfactory results. Not saying you are wrong but can you pinpoint what you think specifically may have been the issue instead of generally speaking about BKT? Could it have been the temperature? What brand did you use? Maybe certain brands are not compatible with texlaxed hair. This is what we need to know. Please complete the questionaire. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

foxee

Hair type & density: 4b natural, dense, thick strands

Brand: ɹıɐɥɯɐǝɹp :grin:

Formaldehyde content:
don't know

Flat-iron type & temperature & # of passes: BaByliss, 420 degrees, 5 passes

Did not use round brush while blowdrying.

Specific details of results (satisfied or not, damage, etc.): Did not get hair stick straight, but that may have been due to my technique and/or iron. Left hair soft as silk after a wash. No heat damage.

Did hair revert after non-use: N/A

Will continue use (yes or no): Yes!