Product Review: Silk Elements, Biolage, Argan Oil

westNDNbeauty

In preparation for flat ironing my hair later this week, I am completing a protein treatment followed by a series of moisturizing treatments. Today I purchased:

Silk Elements Megasilk Moisturizing Treatment $10
Biolage Conditioning Balm $44 (the really big jar)
One n' Only Argan Oil $8

I literally did a half and half conditioning treatment. After a protein treatment (aphogee 2 step) I parted my hair down the middle and applied (generously) the Silk Elements to one side and the Biolage to the other. With a plastic cap, I went under the dryer for 1 hour. When I rinsed there was no notable difference between how either side of my hair felt. I plaited my hair in 8 big plaits. Detangling was a breeze for both sides. Plaiting was also easy. Hair felt very moisturized all around.

The noticeable difference now appears as my hair dries. The side that I used the Silk Elements on is noticably smoother. My ends curl better (biolage side is frizzy) and not only does it look smoother, but feels so as well. It really does feel silky.

Before plaiting my hair, I used about 2 quater sized drops of Argan Oil and ran it through and massaged it into my hair. Smells nice. Hair felt great. I guess I'll be able to really review it when I put it to use the same way I use the Chi Silk Infusion (silk wrapping after flat ironing)

All in all, I am going to return that huge tub of Biolage back to Ulta and keep and eye out for Silk Elements Megasilk Moisture Treatment sales at Sallys. Heck! Even without a sale, I would still purchase. It's the bomb digity!

Will be doing another treatment (overnight) on Monday night. Will flat iron on Tuesday. Might post pics of the results. Stay tuned.

Update: So I have now unloose the braids I put in. I must say, there is a noticeable difference on each side. Both sides feels soft but visually and tactily different. The side I used Silk Elements on has a more defined braid-out. My fingers seems to just glide as I run my fingers from root to tip. It is also shinier. While the Biolage side exhibits a more looser (poofy) braid out with slightly more dull hair. I would compare the results to how your hair looks with the use of setting lotion in your braid outs to not using setting lotion. Use of setting lotion makes your hair smoother and more defined in whatever pattern you set it in (with a soft hold) as compared to not using setting lotion, you will have a pattern, but it will be looser and may not last as long.

DEFINITELY WILL BE RETURNING BIOLAGE TO ULTA TODAY! I'm glad they take used products back. One of the only reason I shop there (plus the discount coupons they send :)

Cant wait to condition again and flat iron!

Last edited:

LushLox

Thanks OP. I'm hearing too many good things about Silk Elements, I'm going to have to get some. Sounds like you've got a good preparation technique for flat ironing too.

Mz.MoMo5235

i use the megasilk stuff too... nice to know its better than some of the more pricey items. guess i'll stick with it lol. thanx

Beekay305

I am sooooo in love with the Silk Elements Megasilk Moisturizing Treatment :lick:, but I can't find the tub anywhere! I keep having to buy those $.99 packages. :wallbash:

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
so many people are having good results with the Silk Elements. ugh i tried it ut i really didn't get the full effect. i bet its because i was bein cheap and tried to use that lil pack on all this transitioning hair. :lol: i'll try it again. guess i gotta bite the bullet and buy the jar. ♥

westNDNbeauty

Thanks OP. I'm hearing too many good things about Silk Elements, I'm going to have to get some. Sounds like you've got a good preparation technique for flat ironing too.

Thanks. Usually dont get to prep for my flat iron job for so long, but i'm on winter vacation and on my way to see the fam whose never seen my hair straigtened. Gotta make sure its lookin right!

so many people are having good results with the Silk Elements. ugh i tried it ut i really didn't get the full effect. i bet its because i was bein cheap and tried to use that lil pack on all this transitioning hair. :lol: i'll try it again. guess i gotta bite the bullet and buy the jar. ♥

yes. do it! i had a little pack and the jar. but i found the little pack did not cover my strands well enough (just on 1/2 of my head) so i had to break out the jar and slater it on.

Its a new staple of mine!

westNDNbeauty

I am sooooo in love with the Silk Elements Megasilk Moisturizing Treatment :lick:, but I can't find the tub anywhere! I keep having to buy those $.99 packages. :wallbash:

Hopefully someone posts when Sally's has another sale. That Cyber Monday 20% off plus free shipping would of been perfect for you. I know for sure should that sale come around again (New Years?) I'll be stocking up on atleast 3 jars of it!

RocStar

Thanks so much for your review.

I really like the Silk Elements Megasilk Olive Moisturizing Treatment (the one in the greenish/blueish jar).

It works amazing on my hair.

NikkiGirl

I use the Silk Element Mega Silk Moisturizing Treatment and the Leave-In Moisturizing Creme and they are both great. Glad to hear others and getting good results too.

Barbara

Princess
Silk Elements Megasilk Moisturizing Conditioner (with extra virgin olive oil added) performed a "miracle" on my hair! I added it to my stash of staple conditioners.

I was at Target today, and I looked at the Biolage Conditioning Balm, and the price was almost $24. I know it's a very good conditioner, but I don't need another expensive one. Suave Professionals have a "knock off," that I need to try.

Now since I know that Silk Elements is better, I don't need to try Biolage. Thanks for your review.

la mosca

Great review! I think I have some Silk Elements somewhere in my stash, but I never seemed to get great results from it. I'm inspired to go dig it out and try it again!

beana

Silk elements megasilk treatment is my absolute favorite conditioner!!! I think its amazing and im glad to hear it worked well for you!

westNDNbeauty

It is discontinued in the UK. If you live in the US you should be fine. I currently have 4 jars left....I am gonna stock up on my next trip to Sally's just in case.

Can you tell I LOOOOOOVVEEE this stuff? :grin:

panamoni

I have the Biolage right now, and I'm trying to use it up. I agree that I've had better...glad to see someone else confirm it. Wish I would have tried it soon after purchasing from Ulta so that I could have returned it as well.

When I was at Sally's the only Silk Elements in the jar I saw said it was a mayonaise. Is this the same one?

I found silk elements to be really good. The argan oil is OK. I think its worth a try but I probably won't be buying another bottle.

westNDNbeauty

I have the Biolage right now, and I'm trying to use it up. I agree that I've had better...glad to see someone else confirm it. Wish I would have tried it soon after purchasing from Ulta so that I could have returned it as well.

When I was at Sally's the only Silk Elements in the jar I saw said it was a mayonaise. Is this the same one?

No its not the same one. The bottles are similar. You should look for the one that says mega silk moisturizing treatment. It usually costs about $10.99 for a jar.

MelodicVessel

I just purchased both the mega silk moisturizing treatment AND the intense mayonnaise treatment two days ago. I just KNEW the mayo one was NOT the right one, but I purchased both because the cashier was like "you know how good mayonnaise is for our hair, this one is the best". Whatever lady!

Anywho, I can't wait to try it!
Anybody try both? Is there that much of a difference?