Relaxed Heads: What's the Secret to Healthy, Flat-ironed hair?

*Muffin*

I'm scared to death to flat iron my hair, for fear my precious strands won't be able to take the heat! But I know a lot of relaxed heads straighten their hair to help them stretch their relaxers or during the transitioning process. Ladies, please, spill the beans! :grin:

1. When and how often do you flat-iron?

2. How frequently do you relax?

3. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging?

4. Know any tricks/products that may prove helpful?

5. Does the type of flat-iron one uses (generic vs. high-end) really matter?

6.Anything else you'd like to add?

Last edited:

MizzCoco

The only thing I can add is that I still have to rollerset before I flat iron. If I skip that step, my ends are super dry and ugly. It may be my technique, tho. *waiting for more responses cuz I'd like to know too*

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America
1. When and how often do you flat-iron? I flat-iron my hair weekly after I wash, DC, and blowdry.

2. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging? I used to have a lot of breakage, but this is before I discovered LHCF. Now I have minimal breakage, and I'm sure if I didn't use heat weekly, I would retain more length, but I like neat straight hair, so I sacrifice.

3. Know any tricks/products that may prove helpful?

My tips are:
- D/C is a must
- I use protein somewhere in my regimen every week (e.g. conditioner, leave-in, etc.)
- Using a heat protectant has made a big difference in keeping my ends healthy

4. Anything else you'd like to add? I wrap my hair every night to maintain my flat-ironed hair.

Last edited:

India*32

1. When and how often do you flat-iron? I flat-iron my hair weekly after I wash, DC, and blowdry.

2. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging? I used to have a lot of breakage, but this is before I discovered LHCF. Now I have minimal breakage, and I'm sure if I didn't use heat weekly, I would retain more length, but I like neat straight hair, so I sacrifice.

My tips are:
- D/C is a must
- I use protein somewhere in my regimen every week (e.g. conditioner, leave-in, etc.)
- Using a heat protectant has made a big difference in keeping my ends healthy

4. Anything else you'd like to add? I wrap my hair every night to maintain my flat-ironed hair.

You hair looks beautiful. I have a natural, but when my hair grows out to at least neck length, I will get my hair cut into a basic bob. I already have my tools for straightening and curling. FHI baby.

India

shunemite

1. When and how often do you flat-iron? I flat-iron my hair weekly.

2. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging? Helpful. I lose less strands, especially if I'm stretching a relaxer. I'd like to alternate and roller set a little though.

3. Know any tricks/products that may prove helpful? Use it on the lowest setting possible. I love the GVP Silk Infusion. My hair feels like butter. You don't have to blow dry it to dry it straight. You can air dry or wrap and dry on low under a dryer. Always DC first.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Good Thread Muffin!:grin:

Thanks for Posting This! I would like to know the "Secrets" too......:yep:

Keep 'em coming Ladies.....Thank You.

preciousfa02

1. When and how often do you flat-iron? Once every two weeks

2. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging? Heplful. It allows me to stretch longer in between relaxers

3. Know any tricks/products that may prove helpful? I recently purchased beyond the zone turn up the heat heat protectant & its the best. My last relaxer was on the 20th of june & after I flat iron my ng it looks like oi relaxed my hair (smooth,slicky & blinging) wrapping my hair & adding tension (thanks to tracee) or pulling lightly on my ng to "catch it"

*CherryPie*

1. When and how often do you flat-iron? Once a week

2. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging? Helpful, never damaging

3. Know any tricks/products that may prove helpful? Don't use oil, or too many products befor flat ironing. You won't get the bouncy straight hair if you use too much stuff on your hair before ironing. Make sure to use a true heat protectant. Not just Chi silk infusion. We're not even sure it's really a heat protectant.

4. Anything else you'd like to add? Flat iron in small sections, with quick swipes. You don't want to make contact with the iron for too long.

I think that's it.

Oh. and I always add a little serum to my hair after I'm done for shine.

xcuzememiss

I blow dry my hair in a downward position on cool. Then I apply I.C. Fantasia heat protectant and straightning serum(pink bottle). I only use a Tiny bi on each section, concentrAting on my ends and roots. Too much will deff weigh down the hair. Even though I only use a small amount it coats my strands very well. Then I close the iron on my hair pretty tigh and gently and quickly slide it through.

Tarae

1. When and how often do you flat-iron? Not very often. Now that I reached my goal, I'll probably be flat ironing more often.

2. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging?
Now that I know how to really take care of my hair, it's not damaging. It's a good alternative when I want straight styles but don't want to roller set (I HATE HATE HATE rollersetting my own hair).

If I'm going to flat iron/blow dry, I use some type of protein (mainly Aphogee 2 min) followed by a DC. I dry under a hooded dryer in 4 braids. I blow dry those 4 sections on low heat if necessary. Always use a heat protectant.

4. Anything else you'd like to add? I either wrap or pin curl to maintain the style. Moisturize with SheScentIt butters.

outspokenwallflower

When I'm not bein' lazy, once a week or every other week.

Helpful...

You must deep condition-- this means having something that incorporates moisture and something that incorporates protein...
Don't use too much product; you wont be happy with the results.
Heat protectant is your friend...
Do small sections at a time...I used to be so frustrated until I realized my sections were too big and that's why the results werent adequate.
Use the temp that is right for your hair texture-- the higgest setting doesn't mean the best results.

4. Anything else you'd like to add?
Just wash weekly (DC'ing a MUST of course) and be gentle with your hair is all I can think to add...also, it helps to have a good quality tool (quality doesnt equal quantity-- the priciest tools arent always the best!) and it helps to have ceramic/ionic incorporated in the tools as well.:yep:

Katt73

1. When and how often do you flat-iron? Once every 7 - 8 days after I wash and blow dry.

2. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging? Helpful. Believe it or not, I lose less hair and get less breakage than when I roller set or use Caruso's. My comb glides through my hair after flatironing as opposed to snagging on tangles using the other methods.

3. Know any tricks/products that may prove helpful? Using Lacio Lacio and Chi Silk Infusion as leave-ins is all I need to ensure bouncy, shiny flat-ironed hair. Experiment to determine what heat setting you need. As someone else said, use a quality flat iron...not the $9.99 Conair from the drugstore. You don't have to break the bank...I love my GVP "Chi" from Sally's for only $59. Finally, I detangle thoroughly first...shower comb, then finer toothed comb, then paddle brush...before flat ironing. After that, NO MORE HEAT FOR THE WEEK! I maintain using pincurls.

4. Anything else you'd like to add? Unlike what I used to think, heat isn't always the devil if used responsibly: on clean protein/moisture balanced hair and no more than once a week. My hair does better with heat than without.

*Muffin*

Wow...thank you so much for the great advice ladies! I definitely learned some things I never knew before. So less product is better, huh? My aunt always told me to put a lot of product in my hair to prevent the iron from "frying" my hair. You ladies have simply GORGEOUS hair, and some of you flat-iron weekly. This thread is definitely altering my perception of flat-ironing. I have a question about heat-settings. I think one or two of you mentioned that it's better to flat-iron on a lower heat setting. Is there a way to tell if the flat-iron is too hot (without touching it, of course :grin:)? Those heat-settings are like Greek to me. I believe one lady that is a member on this forum presses her hot comb against a paper towel, and if it discolors the paper towel she knows her straightening device is too hot.

Last edited:

Your Cheeziness

1. When and how often do you flat-iron? I flat iron on occasion or when I visit my stylist for a relaxer. I would say once a month or so. I don't have a set schedule.

2. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging? Flat ironing is only damaging when done on too high setting, without heat protection of some sort, and/or if the hair is not healthy and free of splits. Jmo.

3. Know any tricks/products that may prove helpful? Since heat styling changes the keratin shape in the hair, I recommend a light protein and deep conditioning for the wash regimen. My favorite heat protectant is Matrix (orange bottle) but it does contain alcohol, but my hair does not dry out at all.

4. Anything else you'd like to add? I dont' think there's anything to be afraid of when dealing with flat ironing if it's being done no more often than weekly. Have a stylist set the temperature according to your hair, use a heat protectant, trim splits, and deep conditioning regularly for optimal styling.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
1. When and how often do you flat-iron? Once a week

2. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging? Helpful, never damaging

3. Know any tricks/products that may prove helpful? Don't use oil, or too many products befor flat ironing. You won't get the bouncy straight hair if you use too much stuff on your hair before ironing. Make sure to use a true heat protectant. Not just Chi silk infusion. We're not even sure it's really a heat protectant.

4. Anything else you'd like to add? Flat iron in small sections, with quick swipes. You don't want to make contact with the iron for too long.

I think that's it.

Oh. and I always add a little serum to my hair after I'm done for shine.

Is Aphogee Green Tea a true heat protectant?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Aphoghee is the most awesome heat protector I've ever used. It also helps keep my hair strait longer.:clapping: No need for BKT for me with this product.:yep: Also, for relaxer users, it is said to make your relaxers last longer with the use of it. It says it preserves color and chemical services. Using this with heat locks in the keratin like BKT.

Last edited:

Bella_Atl

1. When and how often do you flat-iron? I flat iron almost every day but I wouldn't suggest it on 4s. I have mixed (3s and 2s) hair leaning more towards caucasion.

2. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging? The verdict is still out on that one.

3. Know any tricks/products that may prove helpful? Use a heat protectant. Make sure your hair is CLEAN!

4. Anything else you'd like to add? I think if you flat iron a lot you need to wash your hair more. And use only a heat protectant. You don't want to burn a bunch of products onto your hair. I also DC twice a week with a hair steamer.

Highly Favored8

I can do it once or twice a month that is it.

I find it helpful in dealing with my NG still only then it is done once or twice a month.

For me I protien treatment 2x a month this helps me a lot.

4. Anything else you'd like to add?
I only do flat irons for progress picutres for my hair.

PikiNiki

I relax about every 5 months. I flat iron about once or twice a month at the most. I used to do it weekly prior to starting my HHJ. I use Ojon Restorative treatment as a pre poo, wash with Ojon Tawaka Cleanser, DC with HairVeda or SheScentIt/alternate Joico K-Pak Reconstructor. As a leave-in, I use Ojon Restorative Leave-In, and Revitalizing Mist. I then air dry. Just prior to flat ironing, I use Ojon Shine and Protect Serum as well as adding shine to finish.

SelfStyled

Is Aphogee Green Tea a true heat protectant?

Sorry this is off topic OP. Okay....I am not so sure that Aphogee Green Tea is a heat protectant per se, I think that it is activated by heat, meaning that if you Flat Iron it in , it will infuse Keratin into your hair, making your hair stronger like DDtexlaxed explained. Like a mini BKT, kinda sorta.

Now on the other hand, the Aphogee Pro Vitamin, says that it, "Adds lightweight moisture, improves body and shine, and protects against heat.

Khaiya

Thanks for this thread OP, i always thought weekly flat ironing = bald heads, even every 2 weeks. For that reason i only do it monthly or less. Its good to know its not as taboo as i though. Since i dont use a steaming hot iron anyway, maybe i could increase the frequency, the tips here have been GREAT, thanks again!

DarkHair

I flatiron once every other week, (rollerset the weeks in between) when I wash my hair

2. How frequently do you relax?
I relax every 12 to 16 weeks

3. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging?
flat-ironing is helpful, but I also rollerset

any heat protectant
small sections

5.Anything else you'd like to add?
the secret to healthy, flat-ironed hair is the same secret to healthy $ex....protection!!!

Desarae

1. When and how often do you flat-iron? Once, maybe twice a month.

2. How frequently do you relax? Every 6-8 Weeks :)nono:Too often, i'm trying to do better)

3. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging? I find it helpful when I need a quick style and don't feel like rollersetting, want to show some length, or want a little SWANG....
It can be damaging for ME if I do it more than once or twice a month, don't use enough leave-ins/heat protectant, use more than 2 passes.
(I have fine hair)

Use small,thin sections and a slow, but fluid motion going down the section and you won't have to go over it but once, maybe twice.You'll also avoid the dreaded "flat iron marks"

Tap the roots 2 or 3 times before bringing the flatiron down if you have NG. I use the comb chase method when ironing other's hair with a fine tooth heat proof comb.

I like using Mizani Thermasmooth Shampoo and Conditioner and follow up with a bit of Rusk Smoother Leave In (Quarter size)Follow that up with Chi Silk Infusion (Dime Size)and Finish with Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide (3 pumps 1 on roots, 2 on ends) Get the Hint: Smooth, Smooth, Smooth?? Using smoothing products will produce a smoother flatiron job with LESS HEAT. They smooth your hair from the start, they're really worth it.

5.Anything else you'd like to add? Watch DontSpeakDefeats flat iron tutorial. It helped me perfect my flatironing skills. I'm a beast with my $25 flat iron and I get zero damage now:grin:.

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
1. When and how often do you flat-iron? About once a month

2. How frequently do you relax? 10 weeks

3. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging? Since I dont flat iron regularly, I dont find it damaging.

4. Know any tricks/products that may prove helpful? The chase method does wonders for my 4b hair. I flat iron in small sections, and chase with a brush straightener. My hair comes out super straight and silky. Without the chase method I was never able to get a silky smooth flatiron. Love it.

I'm scared to death to flat iron my hair, for fear my precious strands won't be able to take the heat! But I know a lot of relaxed heads straighten their hair to help them stretch their relaxers or during the transitioning process. Ladies, please, spill the beans! :grin:

1. When and how often do you flat-iron? I try to flat iron once or twice a month, I wear lots of ponytails and don't care what my ends look like.

2. How frequently do you relax? I try to relax every 3 months, but my new growth is unbelieveable, so I have to relax sooner, but the min is 8 weeks. The straighter the hair the longer you can go with stretching and you won't have to use a flat iron cuz it's already straight. (My opinion)

3. Do you find flat-ironing helpful or damaging? It's helpful for me, cuz wet hair or air dry hair breaks my hair off, I get too many knots and tangles so I have to blow dry and flat iron, but I try to get it straight as possible so I won't have to bother it.

4. Know any tricks/products that may prove helpful? I use oil sheen, I use Pantene Oil Sheen, I like it. Chi Silk Infusion(just started again, but I like so far). I mean less is more.

5.Anything else you'd like to add?
DEEP CONDITION, DEEP CONDITION, DEEP CONDITION!!! Don't be afraid to flat iron, but keep it to a min, try to rollerset, or try silk wraps, I'm switching over to that, cuz flat ironing is getting boring. Find a good flat iron, Andis flat iron snags my hair.

*Muffin*

DEEP CONDITION, DEEP CONDITION, DEEP CONDITION!!! Don't be afraid to flat iron, but keep it to a min, try to rollerset, or try silk wraps, I'm switching over to that, cuz flat ironing is getting boring. Find a good flat iron, Andis flat iron snags my hair.

I have an andis :blush:. What kind of flat-irons are good? I read up a little on them, and the ones with pure ceramic plates are best (like the FHI runway and the Hanna Elite), but those are very expensive. I hear the chi works well for relaxed hair.