how to minimize breakge when taking out braids?

Kayanna1212

its not that big its kinda small when wet but more then normal.
im not sure..i sometimes see white balls on the end of my hair strands.
And umm my hair loooks horrible thats why im staying in braids..
braids is not making my hair grow worth pooh

jamaraa

Braids, I assume you're speaking of micros, are not my fav means of growing one's hair out. There's way too much room for error in terms of it being too tight, hair loss/weakening, and the take down w/ it's matting/dreding issues.

Alright, I'd get a spray bottle of water and whatever oil you got on hand, even cooking oil....and get to work SLOWLY! If they've been in awhile, you're gonna have some matting so you'll probably need a small toothed comb and maybe a rat tailed one too.

White balls on ends= shedding and hair w/o= breakage It's normal to have at least some shed hair on take down cuz you've not removed your sheds for an extended period. Some breakage is gonna happen if there's been matting, but the oil and water will help minimize it.

Last edited:

SelahOco

I agree with the advice given above. You're going to have a ton of shed hair after wearing braids for several weeks. If you lose 100 strands a day, multiply that by the number of days you have your hair in the braids.

If you get your ends clipped before the braids are put in, how do you ends look after you remove them? It may not be breakage - but if you're wearing micros it may be.

I never removed my micros when they were dry. I use Suave or something to moisten it a bit.

If you have matting at the roots, take oil on your fingers and gently work the matted part thru with your fingers. Your shed hair will start to release when you do this. Just look at the ends for the white bulbs.

shunemite

I agree with the methods above, and most of all, do it SLOWLY. Allow yourself about 3 to 4 days. I'm not saying it'll take that long, but if you back yourself into a corner, you know what I mean, like, I'm going to a wedding on Saturday and today's Friday morning, you're gonna rip your hair out. Your hands will get tired and you'll just start yanking in frustration.

So: start in the back, SLOWLY. Don't have friends or family "help" you if they're impatient and yank.

If you get tired, STOP.

For itty bitty knots, use a toothpick or the sharp end of a floss pick.

Ever since I've taken mine down like this, I lose very little hair. And one time I was a dumb butt and left them in for 4 months, and I still didn't lose that much hair.

beans4reezy

For each braid:

Unbraid
Finger detangle
Spray very well with a mixture of oil/water/conditioner
comb with a fine toothed comb

Be very careful and allow yoursellf a day or two to finish.

Nonie

Use fingers to undo your micros and go slowly. I usually undo my hair when watching some show. Fingers allow you to feel your hair so that you can be careful that you don't dig in too far down the braid and cause tangling towards the ends.

Shed hair with a bulb is normal. If you consider that 100 hairs are shed a day, then you can expect to have a lot of hair coming out when you undo braids that have been worn for quite a while.

The advice on Robin's website might also prove helpful in undoing braids: http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html

BTW, I don't like to undo my braids wet. Once in a while I've had to when I needed go have my hair looking neat after a wash and noticed a braid looking bad so had to redo it, and I can assure you, my hair is more difficult to undo when wet. The extension hair tangles more as does my hair. When my hair is dry, the undo is this easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j68_fk46rNk

TemiLnd

Also, make sure you are washing your braids.
Another thing to add to all the above is to do a hot all treatment on your hair the night before you remove it. You get more slip and and the lump should be softer.

jamaraa

Use fingers to undo your micros and go slowly. I usually undo my hair when watching some show. Fingers allow you to feel your hair so that you can be careful that you don't dig in too far down the braid and cause tangling towards the ends.

Shed hair with a bulb is normal. If you consider that 100 hairs are shed a day, then you can expect to have a lot of hair coming out when you undo braids that have been worn for quite a while.

The advice on Robin's website might also prove helpful in undoing braids: http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html

BTW, I don't like to undo my braids wet. Once in a while I've had to when I needed go have my hair looking neat after a wash and noticed a braid looking bad so had to redo it, and I can assure you, my hair is more difficult to undo when wet. The extension hair tangles more as does my hair. When my hair is dry, the undo is this easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j68_fk46rNk

Since you do it dry and w/ your fingers, do you oil the matted hair to loosen it?

hothair

I take mine down dry and with no products, I use similar steps to Nonie then detangle each part with my fingers and a pick if there's matted hair, I then comb before I take down the next

Reasons: I find if my hair is damp/with product its harder to unmat. Also loosening a lot before combing makes me loose a lot more hair. Make sure you don't wet before fully detangling your hair WILL dred up. HTH

Nonie

Since you do it dry and w/ your fingers, do you oil the matted hair to loosen it?

I never have matted hair. I think a few things are to thank for that:
  • the fact that I don't use any leave-in products or braid spray means I don't get any build up;
  • the fact that I am careful when conditioning not to apply conditioner to the base of my braids (I avoid putting conditoner on my scalp) means no build up at the base of the braid that causes knotting up;
  • the fact that I use shampoo and wash my hair twice a week focusing more on cleaning my scalp but also squeezing the shampoo through my hair during the rinse and rinse for long ending the wash with an ACV rinse/dunk means I do keep my hair fairly clean and free of dust build-up that can cause knotting up;
  • the fact that I do my own braids and touch them up one at a time as soon as I start to notice looseness at the base till all are redone, particularly along the perimeter, means that I don't allow that knotting to happen and I remove shed hair pretty regularly.