BKT: my wave pattern did not come back

winterinatl

All natural!
Alright, so I shared my BKT experience with you all, really enjoyed it for a while.

I applied two times: one over freshly relaxed (NOT bone straight, my hair never gets bone straight w/o damage) and two-three months later over the newgrowth. First time, i applied QOD gold as directed, which was too much heat IMO.

Second time, I focused on the roots and then ran my fingers through the rest and flat ironed about 3 passes, very nice results.

The new growth was relaxed, easier to manage. Check.

However, I decided to go ahead and re-relax, ending my transition, because ...I just wasn't ready and the newgrowth still reverted.

So two weeks ago I relaxed. With Elucence.

And guess what? No waves came back....I used to wear wavy ponytails all the time, wash and go, and now cannot. And this is after two washes.

I know some had wondered about this, and I'm here to let you all know that that BKT was a little too permanent to me.

Oh, and for the record my stylist said my hair felt really, really weird after she processed. She said she had to give me extra conditioning treament to get it feeling "silky like normal" again and that my hair normally doesn't have problems like that.

I did not share the BKT experience with her cause I didn't want to hear her mouth....

So there ya go; relaxed heads, be careful :)

poookie

you relaxed your hair after BKT and your waves didn't come back? Sounds normal to me, relaxer removes the curl and kink in the hair.

winterinatl

All natural!
Of course relaxer does that.

My hair, even relaxed, is not bone straight - which is why I'd try the BKT over the whole head anyway.

The majority of the hair that had been treated with BKT, which had already been relaxed, did not revert back to the original relaxed texture. It's very nearly bone straight, no wave pattern left to do a wash and go.

I'm pretty sure the newgrowth I treated came back; but the RELAXED hair did not, which I was counting on, as the companies say getting a new relaxer basically rinses the BKT off the hair.

I don't know why it did not come back but I miss my curly ponies :(

Last edited:

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
So how long ago was your last BKT?? If it's less than 8 weeks the BKT is still there. You relaxed on top of BKT, which gave you bone staright hair. No suprise.

naturalmanenyc

I'm confused. You relaxed and used BKT and thought your curls would come back?

I'm nearly 100% natural and use BKT. My curls always come back.
I'm confused about how BKT works, or is thought to work, for relaxed hair?
Does BKT make a relaxer last longer?

sheba1

Awww WinterinATL, I'm so sorry to hear of this. I'm afraid, I was quite aware that wave pattern would not return in texlaxed hair. I crossed my fingers for you when I heard this is what you wanted, but I was pretty sure it wouldn't go down like that. Please try several Kiya Fizzles (salt added to conditioner) over the coming weeks. Hopefully it will begin to wear. Good luck, friend

Hey guys, for clarification, WinterinATL had texlaxed hair; lightly processed and leaving a wave behind. She BKT'd on top of that and that created a bone straight result that she hoped would be temporary. But BKT's impact is much stronger (and therefor lasts longer) on damaged or processed hair.

When she texlaxed her new growth I believe she was hoping her previously BKT'd hair (that done over texlaxed hair before) would return to wavy.

I've actually warned several texlaxed ladies away from BKT. For those looking for a bone straight result, it's mana from heaven. But for those looking to still have curl in the relaxed hair, it just won't be.

Last edited:

cocoaluv

Do you do your BKT yourself or get it done at a salon. Can you recommend a salon if you know of one.

poookie

Of course relaxer does that.

My hair, even relaxed, is not bone straight - which is why I'd try the BKT over the whole head anyway.

The majority of the hair that had been treated with BKT, which had already been relaxed, did not revert back to the original relaxed texture. It's very nearly bone straight, no wave pattern left to do a wash and go.

I'm pretty sure the newgrowth I treated came back; but the RELAXED hair did not, which I was counting on, as the companies say getting a new relaxer basically rinses the BKT off the hair.

I don't know why it did not come back but I miss my curly ponies :(

sorry... must have misread your post. i wasn't sure if you relaxed than BKT'd or BKT'd then relaxed.

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!

You aren't the only one. As far as I know it just makes your hair starighter and stronger.

msa

But when you relax, you don't relax the total length of your hair right? Just the new growth. So the relaxer wouldn't really be able to strip off the bkt on the length of your hair. And even if it did, the length of your hair would still be straighter because of the relaxer.

I'm sorry you can't wear your waves anymore though...I guess you could do braidouts to get the same effect.

jennboo

I thought bkt was an alternative to a relaxer? You're supposed to use both a relaxer and bkt? I'm confused.

winterinatl

All natural!
Awww WinterinATL, I'm so sorry to hear of this. I'm afraid, I was quite aware that wave pattern would not return in texlaxed hair. I crossed my fingers for you when I heard this is what you wanted, but I was pretty sure it wouldn't go down like that. Please try several Kiya Fizzles (salt added to conditioner) over the coming weeks. Hopefully it will begin to wear. Good luck, friend

Hey guys, for clarification, WinterinATL had texlaxed hair; lightly processed and leaving a wave behind. She BKT'd on top of that and that created a bone straight result that she hoped would be temporary. But BKT's impact is much stronger (and therefor lasts longer) on damaged or processed hair.

When she texlaxed her new growth I believe she was hoping her previously BKT'd hair (that done over texlaxed hair before) would return to wavy.

I've actually warned several texlaxed ladies away from BKT. For those looking for a bone straight result, it's mana from heaven. But for those looking to still have curl in the relaxed hair, it just won't be.
I wish I had read that before; however the promise of super staight hair suuuucked me innnn :lol: . I thought that after the cuticles would open up from relaxer (rinsing down hair shaft ) would knock it out.

Booooo :ohwell: .

winterinatl

All natural!
But when you relax, you don't relax the total length of your hair right? Just the new growth. So the relaxer wouldn't really be able to strip off the bkt on the length of your hair. And even if it did, the length of your hair would still be straighter because of the relaxer.

I'm sorry you can't wear your waves anymore though...I guess you could do braidouts to get the same effect.
This thought JUST occurred to me, very , very good point. I figured the small presence of the relaxer would be harsh enough.

Braidouts aint the same, but, my hair is still quite nice.

I am happy I didn't muck about and end up having my hair all fall out or something.

Thanks for y'all's support, hopefully this is helpful for someone else!

winterinatl

All natural!
I thought bkt was an alternative to a relaxer? You're supposed to use both a relaxer and bkt? I'm confused.
BKT is protein based; it binds itself to your hair to strengthen, smooth and straighten. It works best on damaged hair (colored, heat damaged, relaxed) because the damage gives the solution more purchase to bind.

Which is what did my waves in; the damage of the relaxer let the BKT last a long time, but now it's not coming off like i thought it would. Perhaps it will in the future.

I have a really, really persistent wave pattern, it is sort of unnerving that it is finally knocked out :ohwell:. BKT (even with Sabino) nor relaxer on their own have made my natural texture bone straight, but the two together did it for sure.

Thann

I had the same experience. I never expected for my somewhat texlaxed hair to go back after the BKT, but its scary straight and the texture is still somewhat weird for me as well.

addaboutmyhair

I have texlaxed hair with BKT over top. My waves come back but it takes a lot more than 2 washes. Think in terms of months...

bedazzled

It has been said that it takes 3-5 months for the BKT to wear off. In 3-5 months you could very well have your waves back.

cutenss

Dnn't worry your will get your waves back. Try clarifying THEN DC well for the moisture. Youa gentle shampoo such as Euclence or ORS Aloe shampoo. Then your favorite DC preferably with heat. This should help to strip off the remaing BKT, without drying out the hair. Plus using any sodium chloride products will speed up the stripping as well. HTH :yep:

hothair

Pretty sure the texture will be back... in about 6 months.

Texlaxers should really not use this if they like some texture in their hair , even on natural hair it relaxes your curl, not drastically but it does. Keep in mind it was created for folk to get hair straighter and it does that REALLY well

Thann

Winterinatl,

It it been a couple of months for me as well(BKT in late March) and Im skeptical as to any of my texture returning. My hair is still stick straight when wet and even airdries the same. I went back to using my regular shampoo in May (Joico MR) and in August I started clarifying weekly for 5 weeks (Joico K-Pak Chelator) ands still the same. This summer I had ro take a sewin out after only barely 4wks b/c my briads had loosed and wouldn't hold.....my hairs too straight after washing it just got worse.

I'm not downing the BKT one bit, and actually enjoyed it. I would just warn anyone who prefers texture in their relaxed hair to give this more thickness that BKT works better on hair that bond is already broken by chemicals (ie relaxed, texlaxed hair) so there is a strong possibilty that your results may be permanent.

Dove56

The BKT plus texlaxed hair does give bone straight results. It' was amazing for me to see my hair bone straight. That was a first! I now know that I don't want bone straight hair! I don't like it. I'd much rather have my naturally curly hair BKT'd. Then I could flatiron without reversion (I'm not experiening reversion on my BKT'd new growth YAY), BUT have the option to still wear it curly. I can wear my hair curly with a relaxer (3A instead of 3b/c) or just BKT it and probably end up 3A. I'm not doing both anymore.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm scared of BKT for this reason. I use the Aphoghee green tea and it got my 5 month post NG relaxer strait with just my hot air brush. I'll never need another relaxer again.:nono:

princessnad

Maybe it will take a while for it to ware off from the texlaxed parts. To speed it up, use products with sodium chloride. I actually found that a lot of great products contain salt when trying to find a sodium chloride free alternative when I started BKTing. Good luck.

goodmorningruby

My hair never reverted either...this was my horrible experience with BKT:

I got serious about my hair care regimen back in March 2009, where I did a big chop on my dread locks (intentional ones hehe). I decided I would grow my hair out naturally from the TWA and it grewly unbelievably well. I originally intended to relax the hair after I was satisfied with the growth, and I did in July of 2009, but instead of relaxing, I texlaxed with Phyto I (No-Lye). My hair came out beautifully, but I was gravitating more towards straight styles at the time and I didn't want to use heat all of the time. Hindsight is 20/20 because I should have just fully relaxed...

I started researching the BKT, thinking it would help me maintain straight styles. I found all of the information on it that I could and I did a home application, which isn't recommended, but I've been a DIYer for years and didn't regard that as being a huge issue. I did the treatment step by step, to the T. As I'm sure you know, the BKT requires you to use INTENSE heat with a flat iron on hair with ONLY the Keratin treatment on the hair, after blowdrying with a brush TWO TIMES. You're also supposed to have chemically treated hair. When I was looking into the BKT originally I was immediately scared about this tremendous amount of heat and manipulation, but after asking around and doing some more research, and seeing all of the beautiful and satisfied results, I figured that the BKT was supposed to act as a major heat protectant. So I went ahead and did the treatment and the results lasted for what seemed like only a few days, because very soon after that I noticed unusually large amounts of breakage and shedding. My hair was coming out in clumps! The hair was literally FRIED! You could basically see through one individual hair strand, it was transparent. The strands were starting to look more and more disgusting by the day. It hardly looked like hair. I panicked. I had literally ZERO shedding before the BKT, so it was devastating. The treatment is supposed to last up to about 4 months MAX, and then the hair should revert, but because of the immense heat damage that my hair has suffered, I have to gradually cut off the hair because it is so damaged that it WON'T revert. Before the BKT, my hair was on its way to APL, but because I've had to cut off hair, I will be lucky to make it to SL after my 6 month stretch is over in January. My ends still won't behave...I have extreme dryness (could also be attributed to the no-lye, which I've decided is not for me), products won't take easily, etc. PERMANENT DAMAGE that I have to CUT OFF! It's a H.A.M.

Here's basically what happens when you do a BKT:
-Chemical service (not required but strongly recommend for optimal results)
-Clarify
-Blow dry with brush
-Apply Keratin treatment
-Blow dry again with brush
-Flat iron hair on at least 450 degrees! passing through each section at least 10 times!
-Leave the hair alone for 2-3 days
-First wash w/ shampoo sans sulfates

So on top of having a chemical in your hair, you're manipulating it with a brush and blowdryer, and then damaging it further with no heat protection with a flatiron set on 450 degrees, passing through the hair over and over until all of the "steam" from the formaldehyde has gone away! Even if I had put heat protectant in my hair, the treatment wouldn't have come out right because the treatment's effectiveness relies on the heat itself. I don't even know what possessed me to so much as think this was a good idea for my hair.

I took this from a website:
http://www.unsprung.net/BKT.html
Of all the current straightening procedures, the BKT is the simplest and safest for the hair. Unlike the TR solution, there is no way for the BKT solution to cause damage to the hair, as far as we can tell. No scalp bends, no overly broken down hair, no breakage. However, just like a TR, damage CAN be done during a BKT with the flatiron. During a BKT, it is recommended that the hair be flatironed at 450 degrees, which is simply too hot for some hair. Knowing when the 450 degree recommendation applies and when it doesn't, requires the skills of an experienced thermal straightening technician. If the hair can not take 450 degree heat, and is processed at a lower temperature, then the BKT might not last as long.

I didn't realize that the temperature could be lowered to spare the hair unnecessary heat if it couldn't take it because I was under the impression that it was 450 degrees or bust. Even then, if the temperature setting is lowered, the BKT can revert back much, much quicker and there goes hundreds of dollars out the window! (Having this done by a professional costs BIG $$!) And on top of that, the results that I have seen with the BKT can be achieved through other means, definitely.

Getting a BKT done properly is definitely possible, but is it worth the money, and potential long term damage? To me, no. I would highly recommend that you research the BKT fully if you are considering it and make a well-thought out final decision, because even after all of the research and preparation that I put into performing a home BKT, the outcome was horrific. This is just my own personal experience, and I still believe it can work for the right people under the right circumstances, but I strongly recommend exploring the alternatives.

goodmorningruby

As a side note, I KNOW that my BKT damage is the result of my own stupidity and carelessness, so I hope this doesn't scare anyone away from BKT too badly.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
In my experience the BKT does wear off it just takes waaaaayyyy longer than 4 months.

I think for most of use who don't shampoo as frequently as daily it will take a year or more for it to finally wear off.

Mine wore off way faster when I was doing shampoos 3 times a week. Not just co washes but shampoo and conditioner.

It's supposed to last for 4 months. Remember this product was not originally designed for afro textured or highly textured hair.
Just think if you wash your hair about once per week. That's 52 shampoos in a year.

If you shampoo your hair daily that's 365 shampoos in a year.

So the person who shampoos daily will wear off their BKT way faster than someone who shampoos weekly.