***Knockout Nape and Edges in 2010 Challenge***

panamoni

***ETA: Length Checks!! To keep us all motivated, we'll do length checks throughout the year!!***
1st - January 1st (starting pic)
2nd - March 15th-30th
3rd - June 15th-June 30th
4th - September 15th - September 30th
5th - December 15th - December 31st (FINAL)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Ladies,

Who's with me to have a healthy nape and flowing edges by December 2010?!?
The GOAL of this challenge will be to
1) grow your nape and/or edges to the same length as the rest of your hair and to
2) thicken the hair in the nape and edge areas.

Challenge Rules

1. Nourish:
- Apply your choice of products (Castor Oil, Conditioner, BeeMine, Mega-tek/OCT) to your problem area nightly.

2. Stimulate:
- Massage your scalp on the nape/edge area for 5, 10, or 15min. per night. Optional: Apply essential oils (peppermint, lavender, rosemary, thyme, cedar, etc.).

3. Protect:
A. Wear a silk/satin scarf, tie the knot away from the problem area and rotate nightly, or switch to a bonnet, if you wear a scarf at night.
B. Wear your hair up, cover cloths and winter scarves and hats with silk/satin scarves when you wear turtle necks, wool tops, and winter gear.
C. Cornrow your nape when you wear your hair down, your edges at night, and both when you wear a protective style such as weaves or wigs.

4. Style Wisely:
A. Limit direct heat and chemicals to your nape and/or edges (stretch relaxers, no “catching edges” with blow dryers and flat irons). Use hooded dryers or air dry, and make the most of your moisturizing and smoothing products.
B. Alternate the side you wrap your hair to daily; instead of wrapping, use pin curls.
C. Alternate the side you wear your part on daily or weekly.

Terms
- This challenge runs through December 31, 2010.
- You must check in daily or weekly to hold yourself accountable and discuss challenges and progress.
- You must post starting and ending pics.

Commitment Statement: (cut and paste)
“I will apply __(product)___ to my __(problem area)____ and massage my scalp for ____(# of minutes)____ nightly. I will ____(protect)_____ my nape/edges and will _______(style wisely)_______.”

Inspirations
Starronda, Neith, Irresistible, MD Lady, Renewmetoo , Kami11213 and so many others (feel free to let me know others who should be added)!!

Last edited:

panamoni

Participants
:gorgeous:Panamoni
:gorgeous:GirlTalk
:gorgeous:Scotchbonnet
:gorgeous:Cherepikr
:gorgeous:Barbie83
:gorgeous:MochaWisdom
:gorgeous:Nymane
:gorgeous:Hairbrat Dani
:gorgeous:CherieMarie
:gorgeous:Cici22
:gorgeous:Ladysaraii
:gorgeous:Ajacks
:gorgeous:Tayflea
:gorgeous:Jaded Faerie
:gorgeous:Tressajalen
:gorgeous:Reyna21
:gorgeous:Kandigyrl
:gorgeous:Rosa Praeclara
:gorgeous:TickledPinkies09
:gorgeous:Prisangela
:gorgeous:Anna9764
:gorgeous:MsCocoFace
:gorgeous:Soude
:gorgeous:keysha1983
:gorgeous:bamachic08
:gorgeous:drea53
:gorgeous:epiphany braids
:gorgeous:blacksapphire
:gorgeous:mohair
:gorgeous:Pretty1008
:gorgeous:taz007
:gorgeous:coco_diva4
:gorgeous:Smiley79
:gorgeous:Mel1804
:gorgeous:SistaSista
:gorgeous:AsianAfricanPrincess
:gorgeous:BSweet
:gorgeous:purplepeace79
:gorgeous:djkforeal
:gorgeous:aegis
:gorgeous:alshepp635
:gorgeous:JessCNU
:gorgeous:quasimodi
:gorgeous:Adaoba2012
:gorgeous:prettykinks
:gorgeous:wish4length
:gorgeous:lizzyb168
:gorgeous:djkforeal
:gorgeous:Mz.Shug
:gorgeous:Ashleescheveux
:gorgeous:amwcah
:gorgeous:Bluetopia
:gorgeous:shae101s
:gorgeous:dimechiq
:gorgeous:Diam0ndiva
:gorgeous:stellagirl76
:gorgeous:lawyer2be371
:gorgeous:wheezy807
:gorgeous:SherylsTresses
:gorgeous:sophia_reed
:gorgeous:Demi 1974
:gorgeous:lamaria211
:gorgeous:carlana25
:gorgeous:AMAKA127
:gorgeous:pureebony
:gorgeous:TressObsessed
:gorgeous:Salsarisma
:gorgeous:pringe
:gorgeous:Tif392002
:gorgeous:Kiki82
:gorgeous:determineddiva
:gorgeous:SimplyBlessed
:gorgeous:Lisaaa Bonet
:gorgeous:locabouthair
:gorgeous:IntheMix08
:gorgeous:Jen-Lise
:gorgeous:Bnster
:gorgeous:MsSharee06
:gorgeous:hair4romheaven
:gorgeous:Bmack
:gorgeous:sonia1965
:gorgeous:kroeskop
:gorgeous:Zedster
:gorgeous:Quty_Bug

Last edited:

panamoni

OK, here's what I committ to:
I will apply JBCO and MT (alternating) to my nape and massage my scalp for 10 minutes nightly. I will put my hair up when I wear damaging fabric and put a silk scarf around my wool scarves and under my winter hats to protect my nape and will alternate my parts and use pin curls.

ETA: I'll post starting pics in a week and a half when I get my next relaxer.

Last edited:
I am on this challenge! I decided to do this anyway - (see my fotki) - so I may as well join to help keep mi on the train. '

I will apply Megatek every night. massage for 5 mins. Sleep with silk scarf and cap. I will style wisely. :)

panamoni

Great -- I've added you ladies...
I see you're only massaging for 5min..:yawn: Tempting..guess I'll have to remember to do it when I'm watching tv and watch the clock.

Has anyone ever used a massaging tool (scritcher sp?)?

Barbie83

I'm in!

I will apply a homemade mix of jojoba/coconut oil, peppermint oil, and rosemary oil to my edges (actually all over my scalp) the night before I wash/cowash (sundays and wednesdays) and massage for 10-20 minutes, then leave in overnight. I will not wear tight ponytails and I will switch the position of my buns daily. I will also continue avoiding heat and stretching relaxers 12-15 weeks.

I'll post starting pics tonight!

ETA: I might go ahead and add MegaTek on top of my oil mix. Might as well use it up :rolleyes:

Last edited:

nymane

Commitment Statement:
“I will apply __Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Lemongrass Creme___ to my __Nape & Edges_ and massage my scalp for __5 mins_ nightly. I will _wear a satin/silk scarf to protect_ my nape/edges and will_wear low manipulation styles__.”

I will post pics Oct 16th

CherieMarie

I will apply castor oil to my nape/edges and massage my scalp for at least 5 minutes nightly. I will wear a silk/satin scarf to protect my nape/edges and will wear low manipulation styles.

Here is a starting pic.....yes its pretty bad and it has been this way since march...no growth at all.

Attachments

• IMG00002-20090531-1014.jpg
    IMG00002-20090531-1014.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

panamoni

So, how did you guys do on the first night? I almost forgot to massage, so I got out of bed at 1am, and tried to do it while reading a book to make the time pass by. I just used Mega-tek last night.

GirlTalk

I will post my starter pics this week-end! I will start massaging my hair tonight...too dang sleepy last night!!!

Barbie83

rubbed black & bossie natural scalp oil (spiked with a few drops of peppermint oil) into my temples last night and massaged for 5 minutes. Felt soooo good, the tingle was amazing!

I'm rocking a loose twistout bun today, no more tight ponies for me :)

I love babying my edges! This challenge was a great idea :yep:

jaded_faerie

“I will apply castor oil/mtg/or hair growth pomade to my edges and massage my scalp for 5 minutes twice a day. I will sleep on a satin pillow case and will wear styles with the least amount of tension on my edges.

panamoni

rubbed black & bossie natural scalp oil (spiked with a few drops of peppermint oil) into my temples last night and massaged for 5 minutes. Felt soooo good, the tingle was amazing!

I'm rocking a loose twistout bun today, no more tight ponies for me :)

I love babying my edges! This challenge was a great idea :yep:

As soon as I get my retouch next week, I'm going to work on practicing making loose buns :)look:I will have stretched for 26 weeks, so the chemicals are limited) and the Southern Tease.

DarkandLovely

I'm in!!!
I will apply castor oil/ mega tek/essential oil misture to my nape/edges +/-massage my scalp for 5 mins nightly. I will protect my nape/edges and will style wisely.

pisceschica

I am not in this challenge. But for massage I would recommend wahl massager with attachments.

http://www.amazon.com/2-Speed-ALL-B...ef=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1255050487&sr=8-4

I use this every night for about 5-10 minutes while I am watching tv. Usually I put MTG on my scalp and then dr. miracles on my nape front hairline. I don't have an issue with either but thickness would be nice. Plus I saw the miracle it did for one woman I saw who had very little edges for her they have filled in nicely. I had not seen her in a while so it was a nice shock and I asked her what she used.

ladysaraii

“I will apply Castor Oil and Emu Oil to my edges and nape and massage my scalp for at least 5 nightly. I will take care to protect my nape/edges and will use loose buns and wigs

Incidently, I have a wahl and I guess now I have another use for it

GirlTalk

I massaged my hair tonight IC Pure Tea Instant Oil Moisturizer mixed with black castor oil on my edges & nape.

panamoni

A couple of weeks ago I found some Keihls Scalp Massage oil that I had purchased years ago in the backseat of my car -- so, I used that to masage my nape and temples last night for 10min, while reading a book again.

I think the collars to the blazers that I wear have had a big impact on my nape not retaining length (as well as winter scarves). So, I'm bunning.

Barbie83

starting pic:

:blush:Oh my! You never realize its so bad until u see it up front in yo face! :blush:

Definitely committing to this challenge.

*Runs for the Black n Bossie and Peppermint Oil*

cici22

I'm in :yep:

Commitment Statement:
“I will apply Bee Mine to my nape and edges and massage my scalp for 5 minutes nightly. I will use a satin pillowcase and moisturize my nape/edges daily and will wear low manipulation styles.”

I'll post pics sometime next week. :)

andromeda

Count me in! :yay:

“I will apply castor oil to my napes and edges and massage my scalp for at least 5 minutes nightly. I will moisturize and wear a silk scarf/bonnet for my nape/edges and will wear low-manipulation/protective styles.”As part of this challenge and my holistic health, I will try to take in at least 70 g of protein every day.

Here are my starting pics:
Nape
View attachment 44674
Edges (don't mind the half wig:giggle: I was in a rush, maybe I'll re-take them)
View attachment 44670
View attachment 44672

Last edited:

kandigyrl

I will join in.

“I will apply MT/OCT and/or Jbco to my nape and edges and massage my scalp for 5 minutes nightly. I will wear silk/satin scarves or bonnets to protect my nape/edges and will style wisely.”

tressajalen

I want in! I will apply __oil___ to my __edges____ and massage my scalp for ____5 min____ nightly. I will ____wear a satin scarf at night to protect____ my nape/edges and will _______not apply heat to my edges_____.”

panamoni

I will add you ladies on Monday when I'm not on my phone.

I used Megatek last night to massage my nape while reading. Tonight I think I'll use JBCO since I had a protien treatment earlier.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
I am in too BUT with one added rule: I will make sure my diet includes sufficient protein, b vitamins and silica. This is important because BACK IN THE DAY when my diet included these nutrients I had NO problems with growing out nape. In fact it was super long. In recent years however I have had no success and ongoing broken nape in spite of doing everything OP noted. I have been really paying attention to protein for two months and my nape hair no longer breaks at the slightest touch. I just started this week with b vitamins (Brewer's Yeast) and silica to further strengthen hair and maximize growth.

So ladies, pay attention to your diet!!!!

ajacks

I would like to join. I seriously need to improve these areas.

Commitment Statement:
“I will apply OCT and oils (not yet determined) to my edges and nape and massage my scalp for 10 minutes nightly. I will moisturize, braid(Mook's method), use a satin scarf for my nape/edges and will continue to wear sew-ins and other protective/low-manipulation styles.”

Pictures to follow.