Mane Taming

Stella B.

Ladies, we spend so much time dealing with new growth between relaxers or transitioning; it becomes a major part of our hair journey. How we deal with our new growth as it comes in will make our stretch do-able or extremely challenging. Right now I am 7 months post with about 3 and a half inches (lots) of new growth. I normally stretch for 17 weeks between perms, before relaxing again. I am in love:love2: with the texture and the thickness of my new growth, and decided to go on an extended stretch. I knew I had to find a way to control it daily in order to stay away from perms and straightening for a while. Since I tend to avoid heat my options for straighter hair and roots during this stretch have been minimal. I have learned a few simple tried and true ideas (thanks LHCF ladies!) to help make it through this stretch.....

I've learned:

Detangle daily on dry hair first, using fingers and hands to smooth the hair.

Dampen and moisturize daily both the new growth and the relaxed hair. Find a moisturizer that satisfies both textures of hair-the new growth and the relaxed ends. I am moisturizing twice a day-once in the morning, and again before bedtime. This means my thirsty hair needs moisture every 12 hours each day.

Stretching damp moisturized hair until dry with headbands, headwraps, scarves, will help to make your new growth lay flatter, and become more manageable.

Protective styling on most days decreases the frustration involved in styling and controlling the hair.

Layer the absorbing oils on the hair only after the hair has been dampened with water and moisturizers. Save the heaviest oils for last. Layering in the correct order is crucial to your results. We do want beautiful results!:yep:

So here's a video showing what I do to my hair daily to help me make it through this extended stretch I'm on...hoping it'll help someone else to discover what works for them.

Stella B's Mane Taming-Enjoy!!!
http://photopeach.com/album/16pxhr2

panamoni

I think my problem is that I try to style when my hair is damp, and don't wring out or let air dry at all.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

You go Stella! I luv luv luv it! Great tips. My children and I were captivated with the melody. You definitely have a knack for videos. You must create another.

Stella B.

You go Stella! I luv luv luv it! Great tips. My children and I were captivated with the melody. You definitely have a knack for videos. You must create another.
Thanks BB! I wasn't too sure about the melody in the vid, but it was an easy option on the site where I created it. My daughter on the other hand told me to select something more upbeat, but I said I needed something 'slow and classic' like me! LOL
Glad you all liked it!

Stretching damp moisturized hair until dry with headbands, headwraps, scarves, will help to make your new growth lay flatter, and become more manageable.

This is so important when stretching your relaxer. It basically compacts/flattens your new growth (I use a scarf) so there is less to deal with and if done after using the right products your new growth is so silky you may forget you haven't relaxed in awhile.

Stella B.

This is so important when stretching your relaxer. It basically compacts/flattens your new growth (I use a scarf) so there is less to deal with and if done after using the right products your new growth is so silky you may forget you haven't relaxed in awhile.

:yep::yep::yep: Yep!!! ITA with you MontegoBay! Because of my silky?:look: new growth, my attitude has changed. I am looking forward to how many months I can S-T-R-E-T-C-H this out instead of looking forward to my next relaxer! :yep::yep::yep:

panamoni

:yep::yep::yep: Yep!!! ITA with you MontegoBay! Because of my silky?:look: new growth, my attitude has changed. I am looking forward to how many months I can S-T-R-E-T-C-H this out instead of looking forward to my next relaxer! :yep::yep::yep:
How often do you wash?

Stella B.

How often do you wash?
Panamoni, Last year I shampooed my hair religously once a week at home. I have just recently extended that time from once a week to once every ten days. The longer my new growth becomes, the less I want to have to manipulate two different textures and run the risk of drying both out from the dryer heat. So now, I'm washing my hair 3 times a month instead of 4.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Stella! This is Great! I will definitely implement your technique into my attempt to smooth my hair and tame my NG.

If you can get your hair that smooth at 7 Months Post, I know I can whip this little 10 weeks Post Hair into Shape.:whip:

Thanks For Sharing. This Technique may help me stretch longer. Oh, And I love the Music, very Soothing.:band2:

*goes off to watch again and take notes*

Stella B.

Stella! This is Great! I will definitely implement your technique into my attempt to smooth my hair and tame my NG.

If you can get your hair that smooth at 7 Months Post, I know I can whip this little 10 weeks Post Hair into Shape.:whip:

Thanks For Sharing. This Technique may help me stretch longer. Oh, And I love the Music, very Soothing.:band2:

*goes off to watch again and take notes*

Yeaaaaa IDareT'sHair!! I'm so glad you are willing to give this tried and true technique a try! I was motivated by all the hair pros here at LHCF! (my hair sistas- couldn't have done it without you!!) It took months to tweak and get it right for me. I'm sure you'll have success too, after you experiment a little. My goal, like yours was to find a way to stretch longer. Once I got past 17 weeks post, I stopped worrying about my roots, and started to take control!! By 6 months post, I knew that I was taming those roots and making them happy, cause they were behavin' quite well!!!:lachen:Good luck to you in your pursuit of more managable hair, just be patient and consistent. Thanks for the compliments on the vid. It's wonderful to know I could help somebody. Remember, we can do this, yes we can!!!!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Also, I absolutely Love Alba Botanica's Leave-In!:infatuated: It's One of the Best that I have tried. It's Very Nice.:grin:

I watched it again (for about the 4th time):lachen: and I am amazed at how smooth your hair turned out 7 Months Post (and I'm complaining about 10 weeks):perplexed.

Mine always turns out kinda wavy and I think that is because I wasn't using a Scarf to dry. I was tying it down with Neck Strips. So, I think the scarf is going to be a great enhancement. :crossfingers:

Thanks Again for taking the time to show how it's done. Good Job.:nicethread:

Last edited:

panamoni

Tried the technique this morning -- yours combined with Sunshyne's. Worked great -- oh, and now that I have the Hairveda almond glaze to put on my edges before tying down -- I think that helped too. Anyway, since I've been on my HHJ the past few weeks, this is the first time where I've felt good about my kitchen. THANK YOU. Plan is to stretch 16 weeks -- most I've done has been 12. But now I'm thinking maybe 18...IDK, I'll see.

RadiantBeauty

Thank you so much Stella for that video!:hug2: The tips you shared will definitely help me with my transition! BTW, your up-do was beautiful!:gorgeous:

Stella B.

Tried the technique this morning -- yours combined with Sunshyne's. Worked great -- oh, and now that I have the Hairveda almond glaze to put on my edges before tying down -- I think that helped too. Anyway, since I've been on my HHJ the past few weeks, this is the first time where I've felt good about my kitchen. THANK YOU. Plan is to stretch 16 weeks -- most I've done has been 12. But now I'm thinking maybe 18...IDK, I'll see.

So glad you had good results!!! :grin::grin::grin: I have tried the Hairveda almond glaze too, its one of the best gels that can take the curlies right out of my nape fast! :yep: Half the battle in stretching is knowing how you're going to handle your hair each day. Sounds like you have a workable plan to help you meet your goal!!:drunk:

Stella B.

Thank you so much Stella for that video!:hug2: The tips you shared will definitely help me with my transition! BTW, your up-do was beautiful!:gorgeous:
Oh, CoCoChanel, we do know about the great benefits of Alba botanica leave-in conditioner, don't we???:yep: Thanks for the video compliments. So happy to know that you found the tips informative-nothing like sharing! Yea, right now I'm practicing mane taming with my little hurricane bun (that's what I call it):lachen: and doing so has me dreaming and thinking maybe I can transition in the future too!! It'll be a while tho, cause I'm trying to max out this stretch as long as I can! Sounds like you're thinking about transitioning soon-get your tips ready, cause you know I'll be contacting you! :grin:

aquajoyice

Thank-you Stella B!! I'm currently 15 weeks and have been struggling the past few days with detangling my new growth. Like you I love my texture but not sure on how to get the tangles out. I will definitely try your technique!!

Stella B.

Thank-you Stella B!! I'm currently 15 weeks and have been struggling the past few days with detangling my new growth. Like you I love my texture but not sure on how to get the tangles out. I will definitely try your technique!!
You're welcome aquajoyce! Hope this helps with the detangling, but I have found that it helps more with flattening the curl pattern and stretching it out after the hair has been detangled. Give it a try and let us know how it works out.

sharifeh

I'm 8 weeks post and I am struggling with tangles. My hair is officially in jungle mode.
I'm gonna pick up some castor oil and try your method!!
Thanks sooo much for this video!!
I've been wishing that people would post more detailed stretching tips. Thanks again!

Stella B.

I'm 8 weeks post and I am struggling with tangles. My hair is officially in jungle mode.
I'm gonna pick up some castor oil and try your method!!
Thanks sooo much for this video!!
I've been wishing that people would post more detailed stretching tips. Thanks again!

Thanks, Sharifeh! I had fun making the video, and was hoping that the tips that I picked up from the ladies here on the board would help me make it thru my stretch too. Castor oil is known for making your new growth really soft. It should help with the tangles. It's also a healthy hair oil, and a little goes a lomg way!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
So, how'd it go, IDareT'sHair???????

Girl, it was the Bomb!:grin:

Thank You So Much. Scarf/Airdrying worked wonders on my 11 weeks. I may even try to stretch through to October if I keep using The StellaB Method.:yep:

Doing it the way I was doing it, i.e. Gelling down and using neckstrips and 1/2 under the dryer and 1/2 air (no scarf) was leaving it kinda crinkly.:perplexed

The Scarf Method left Everything Nice and Smooth and Moisturized.

You were a Lifesaver. Thanks Gurl.:hug2:

Stella B.

Girl, it was the Bomb!:grin:

Thank You So Much. Scarf/Airdrying worked wonders on my 11 weeks. I may even try to stretch through to October if I keep using The StellaB Method.:yep:

Doing it the way I was doing it, i.e. Gelling down and using neckstrips and 1/2 under the dryer and 1/2 air (no scarf) was leaving it kinda crinkly.:perplexed

The Scarf Method left Everything Nice and Smooth and Moisturized.

You were a Lifesaver. Thanks Gurl.:hug2:

Girl, all your compliments have my brown cheeks turning red right now! There's nothing like gaining confidence in managing your hair. Right now I feel like I could do this scarf method indefinitely-forget about a relaxer!!:drunk:
We'll see if I'm singing the same tune in 3 months when I'll have more new growth than relaxed ends!:blush: We'll just wait and see...So glad you had success with the scarf method leaving 'everything nice and smooth and moisturized!!' Now that's what I call root control!!!:yep: