Help!!!! Whenever I detangle, I ALWAYS lose wayyyy toooo much hair...!!!

SherylsTresses

Everytime I detangle I ALWAYS lose far too much hair. :wallbash: I admit I have lots of overprocessed hair from getting retouches every six weeks (which I no longer do) but dang!!!!! I should be able to keep most of my hair by now. :perplexed Maybe I just don't understand how to detangle with lots of conditioner under running water..... I have also tried detangling with leave-ins as well. Please help me by answering the following questions:

1. How do you detangle your post relaxed hair?
  2. Do you detangle AFTER deep conditioning with heat?
  3. Do you normally lose a lot of hair?
  4. Is it normal to lose a big ball of hair everytime you detangle?

My regi:

1. Separate hair into sections with clamps
  2. Prepoo with ORS mayo & egg and alternate with moisturizing conditioners
  3. Shampoo with KeraCare or Nexxus Phyto Organics Theratin
  4. Deep condition w/ KC or NPO humectin mixing in 1 tbsp EVOO, JBCO and honey with heat for about 35-45 mins--I lose a lot hair here when I detangle with wide tooth comb
  5. Rollerset or scarf method using KC leave-in, setting lotion and silken seal--I lose a lot hair here using wide tooth comb
  6. Keep style using 6 pins curls
  7. Moisturize with KeraCare headress or Mizani H20 NT, seal with EVOO
  8. Baggy every night when bunning
  9. Clarify monthly with KC 1st lather

I get retouches every three months now. I'm gaining length but my hair seems to be getting thinner and thinner. I've noticed that some of you detangle or comb through wet hair with absolutely no problem? How do you do that...?!?!?! My next retouch is scheduled for August 1st. I'm grateful for any help I can get...!!! :yep:

ETA: My braidouts are ALWAYS dry and brittle at the ends on its second day.

Last edited:

msa

Are you losing shed hair (long hairs with the bulb on the end) or broken hairs? If it's broken hairs, detangling on wet hair may be too much for your hair. There are a number of people who have to detangle on dry hair before they wash and just keep it separated throughout the wash and styling process.

SherylsTresses

Are you losing shed hair (long hairs with the bulb on the end) or broken hairs? If it's broken hairs, detangling on wet hair may be too much for your hair. There are a number of people who have to detangle on dry hair before they wash and just keep it separated throughout the wash and styling process.

I always lose broken hair only, no bulb. I've tried detangling on dry hair also but while rollersetting, I still lose a lot of hair. Maybe I shouldn't rollerset anymore???

msa

I always lose broken hair only, no bulb. I've tried detangling on dry hair also but while rollersetting, I still lose a lot of hair. Maybe I shouldn't rollerset anymore???

Well that's definitely a problem. I suggest you detangle your hair before you wash. Make sure you use a wide tooth comb and lubricate the hair first with some oil (I suggest coconut oil) or detangler. Use small sections and make sure to be gentle. That's the part where people mess up the most. You can do everything right but if you're impatient and rake through your hair, then you'll just be breaking your hair.

After you detangle, braid each section and keep it that way while you wash so that it can't get tangled up again. Then when you rollerset it should still be detangled.

Also, if your hair is super weak when wet you may want to check and see that you're getting enough protein. Oh, and a seamless comb may help as well.

MoniintheMiddle

It is easier for me to detangle during my prepoo phase. I use ORS hair mayonnaise for my prepoo. I also mix a little olive oil with this. Detangling is much better for me this way because my hair is in a protective style during the week and this allows the shed hairs to comeout without tangling with my 7.5 post new growth.

After my DC, i do a minor detangle with my fingers

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
How big are the sections that you detangle in? I lose a LOT less hair when I detangle in 1 inch thick sections. Anything bigger and I lose huge clumps. I also use leave-ins that help with slippage like Beauty Without Cruelty Leave In or Surya Henna Color Fixation Leave In and always top with a serum to add even more slip

SherylsTresses

Well that's definitely a problem. I suggest you detangle your hair before you wash. Make sure you use a wide tooth comb and lubricate the hair first with some oil (I suggest coconut oil) or detangler. Use small sections and make sure to be gentle. That's the part where people mess up the most. You can do everything right but if you're impatient and rake through your hair, then you'll just be breaking your hair.

After you detangle, braid each section and keep it that way while you wash so that it can't get tangled up again. Then when you rollerset it should still be detangled.

Also, if your hair is super weak when wet you may want to check and see that you're getting enough protein. Oh, and a seamless comb may help as well.

I have some coconut oil and and a seamless comb. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks again MSA...!!!

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I get breakage too. So I decided even less manipulation is best for me. Then I learned that my comb was also a culprit. It wasnt seamless. Instead of my usual DC's and CW's all week, I only DC once a week (for now) braid it up for the week and put on my half wig. I know what you mean about alot of breakage, since I can't seem to avoid it i've resorted to not touching my hair until it time to detangle.

SherylsTresses

How big are the sections that you detangle in? I lose a LOT less hair when I detangle in 1 inch thick sections. Anything bigger and I lose huge clumps. I also use leave-ins that help with slippage like Beauty Without Cruelty Leave In or Surya Henna Color Fixation Leave In and always top with a serum to add even more slip

:ohwell: My sections are usually about an inch. As I get closer to retouch time, my sections do get smaller.

SherylsTresses

I get breakage too. So I decided even less manipulation is best for me. Then I learned that my comb was also a culprit. It wasnt seamless. Instead of my usual DC's and CW's all week, I only DC once a week (for now) braid it up for the week and put on my half wig. I know what you mean about alot of breakage, since I can't seem to avoid it i've resorted to not touching my hair until it time to detangle.

:ohwell: I think I had a seamless comb but I'll double-check to make sure. I hate gaining length with such thin hair. I was MBL but I trimmed back to a thin BSL.

SherylsTresses

:ohwell: Thanks Keyawarren! I'm always bragging about LHCF and fotki sites to my friends and family. But with my hair growing but very thin, they do not believe me.

kami11213

I suffer from the same problem occasionally, my detangling method doesn't change but depending on the week I will lose anywhere from a few strands to huge balls and it'll be weeks before I notice is slow down. The hair that I lose is mostly shedded, some broken.

I normally detangle after DC under the dryer for 30 min, I'll add more conditioner to my hair and then section it off in 4. I'll take one section down and make about 1-2 inch parts and work from the bottom up w/ a seamless comb SUPER slow. Once I'm done w/ a section I'll twist it up and clip then start the next section.

Working slower has helped. When I'm 1-5 wks post relaxer I don't detangle in the shower, I'll detangle when I'm about to rollerset. I lose way less hair doing this and b/c my hair is freshly relaxed anyway I dont have many knots or tangles. I HTH :look:

SherylsTresses

I suffer from the same problem occasionally, my detangling method doesn't change but depending on the week I will lose anywhere from a few strands to huge balls and it'll be weeks before I notice is slow down. The hair that I lose is mostly shedded, some broken.

I normally detangle after DC under the dryer for 30 min, I'll add more conditioner to my hair and then section it off in 4. I'll take one section down and make about 1-2 inch parts and work from the bottom up w/ a seamless comb SUPER slow. Once I'm done w/ a section I'll twist it up and clip then start the next section.

Working slower has helped. When I'm 1-5 wks post relaxer I don't detangle in the shower, I'll detangle when I'm about to rollerset. I lose way less hair doing this and b/c my hair is freshly relaxed anyway I dont have many knots or tangles. I HTH :look:

Hello Kami! Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely try this method also...!!!

krissyprissy

Since I made the switch to Joico products I lose way less hair now. I recently cut a lot of my hair due to breakage. Plus I choose styles that dont require me to comb my hair everyday. Half wigs, french rolls, and flex rod sets. Also invest in seamless combs. I see your in Memphis so go to Golden Beauty Supply on Elvis Presley Blvd and look for Royal Crown seamless combs. Cost $5 to $7

SherylsTresses

Since I made the switch to Joico products I lose way less hair now. I recently cut a lot of my hair due to breakage. Plus I choose styles that dont require me to comb my hair everyday. Half wigs, french rolls, and flex rod sets. Also invest in seamless combs. I see your in Memphis so go to Golden Beauty Supply on Elvis Presley Blvd and look for Royal Crown seamless combs. Cost $5 to $7

Will do and thanks soooo much! I just passed by that beauty supply store. When I last visited Los Angeles, a stylist did my hair with Joico K-pak products. My results are in my avatar..... :yep:

Ladybug33

Don't forget to try a serum as someone mentioned. I remember using the CHI silk infusion on wet hair prior to detangling and it helped.

SherylsTresses

Are there anymore sistas that don't have problems detangling? If so, I'd love to hear from you.

BUMPING FOR MORE RESPONSES:bump:

jcdlox

I used to get breakage when combing my hair wet both in the shower and out until I started using protein conditioner in my regimen. It stops breakage and has made my hair stronger and softer (better able to hold moisture). If you aren't sure how your hair responds to protein start with a light protein conditioner or one that is protein/moisture balanced. Also, as someone else suggested a good oil or serum to lubricate your hair before combing will help.

Hi, I am almost six months post. I don't detangle on dry hair. I wash my hair in sections, then I use my hello hydration conditioner to detangle b/c I find that it has good slip and is cheap so I can use alot of it. I apply the conditioner and then place my head under the shower head and then detangle with my shower comb while the shower stream is running through my hair. Between the conditioner and the shower stream there is lots of slip and is easy to detangle. Then I deep condition my hair. I don't have to fight with my hair too much here b/c I have already detangled. But b/c I already detangled my hair I am able to get my conditioner all the way through my hair meaning every strand. I then steam my hair which I find helps to soak the conditioner in even further. Then I rinse and maybe run my comb through my hair again while under the shower stream washing the dc out. The I apply a leave in with lots of slip. I currently like Elucence moisture balancing conditioner. With all these steps I don't really lose any hair. Hope this helps.

SherylsTresses

Hi, I am almost six months post. I don't detangle on dry hair. I wash my hair in sections, then I use my hello hydration conditioner to detangle b/c I find that it has good slip and is cheap so I can use alot of it. I apply the conditioner and then place my head under the shower head and then detangle with my shower comb while the shower stream is running through my hair. Between the conditioner and the shower stream there is lots of slip and is easy to detangle. Then I deep condition my hair. I don't have to fight with my hair too much here b/c I have already detangled. But b/c I already detangled my hair I am able to get my conditioner all the way through my hair meaning every strand. I then steam my hair which I find helps to soak the conditioner in even further. Then I rinse and maybe run my comb through my hair again while under the shower stream washing the dc out. The I apply a leave in with lots of slip. I currently like Elucence moisture balancing conditioner. With all these steps I don't really lose any hair. Hope this helps.

:yep: Exactly what I needed, thank you. Now I think I understand detangling in the shower with head full of conditioner.

Are there anymore sistas that don't have problems detangling? If so, I'd love to hear from you.

BUMPING FOR MORE RESPONSES:bump:

I'm natural and curly when I air-dry I can usually detangle in the shower with just water, unless I hadn't combed my hair in a many days. In cases like those I detangle with a wide-tooth comb dry by:

separating my hair (as much as I can) into four parts, clipping three sections up and grabbing one section (usually one in the back) with my fist. I hold on pretty darn tight near the bottom, comb through very slowly (and I mean slowly) and adjust my grip taking a little section at a time until I reach the scalp. Repeat until they're all done. Then I jump in the shower and co-wash. When I blow-dry & flat iron...no tangles at all but that is also because when I air-dry I don't wrap my hair like I do when I blow-dry & flat iron....so it gets into all kinds of craziness.

That's also how I comb children's hair btw no matter what their hair texture and never a tear is shed:yep: I think the key is the 1) tightness of the grip (not pulling the hair down, squeezing it with your hand) you shouldn't feel anything snagging from your crown. And 2) passing the comb through slowly. If you look at your hair while you are doing this you'll see the importance of it, when the comb is going through your hair your strands are shifting. You have to give the hair time to "get out of the way". Does any of this make sense?

CG