The Bra-strap and Beyond Support Group

Boadicea

This isn't a challenge (I suppose it could be viewed as one). It's not a contest. It's a support group for those who feel Bra-stap length (BSL) just isn't long enough for them. You don't have to wear specific styles or use certain products. Just do what works for you.

We are all currently at different lengths, and where 20 inches of hair stops on one person may be longer or shorter on another.
This thread is purely to keep those of us with long hair goals on track and to achieve and maintain long healthy hair whether relaxed, natural, texturized, dyed, etc.

The only specific "end date" is when you reach your own personal goals.

While on your journey, it's highly recommened to have a journal and to use it as often as you find necessary. If you want a physical one, many bookstores offer attractive journals and diaries.

It is also imperative to find a regime that works for you and to be consistent. Even if you do product hop, if you keep a journal you'll be able to record which products worked best for you and which you'd rather avoid.

If you wish to join please post the following with your own results:

note: There are 3 sections of Bra-strap length (BSL): top, middle, and bottom. Please include these measurements

Current hair length: 21.5 inches
How tall are you?: 5'2"
BSL (top): 23 inches
BSL (middle): 24 inches
BSL (bottom): 25 inches
Waist: 27 inches
Tailbone: 32 inches
Bottom: 37 inches

If you're only going for waist length, you don't have to include the last two, etc.

Also, please post your current wash and vitamin regimen

Here is mine:

Last trim: 09/06/04 amount: 1/4"
Last relaxer: 07/06/04 Desiner's Touch Lye

Shampoo: Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo
Conditioners: Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal
Rinse: Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal
Leave-in: Salerm 21 silk protein, Frizz Ease Texture Correcting Serum
Moisturizer: Monoi oil
Pre-shampoo treatment: EVOO (Mon.) and LeKair Cholesterol Plus (Thurs.)
Deep conditioners: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Reconstructor Deeeeep conditioner twice monthly
Appliances: Lady Dazey soft bonnet dryer, Vidal Sassoon Ion Molecular Steam Setter
Supplements: None

Wash cycle:
I wash my hair twice a week: Monday and Thursday after I do a pre-shampoo treatment. Twice a month, I apply Aussie's 3 Minute Miracle Reconstructor Deeeeep and rinse it out when I finish washing. I then put Pantene's Daily Moisture Renewal on my hair to detangle.

After towel-drying my hair (which consists of draping the towel over my head and gently wringing it once), I apply my leave-in and detangle my hair again and put it in a bun or braid/s or ponytail.

The next day, I take my hair down and apply Monoi oil to my dry hair for moisture and put my hair back up. At night, I sleep with my hair in a bun, single braid or pigtails, and put a satin bonnet on my head. I trim my ends when necessary.

It's also a good idea to create monthly albums to document your progress. I highly recommend Fotki.

My own hair journal and album are found in my signature. I hope to make it to BSL (top) by Dec. 2004 or Jan. 2005.

Last edited:

Nanyanika

Thanks for coming up with a wonderful idea. This sounds great, support is exactly what i need right now. I'm not following a consistent regime right now. I do have an online journal to track my progress, routines, products etc. I think i may start to take monthly pics in addition

Height: 4.9ft
bra-strap: 23 inches-equivalent to half an inch past bra-strap, depends also on bra.
Mid-back:25 inches
waist-length: 27 inches. I do have an online journal, to keep track of my routines, products etc.

Last relaxer and trim: 02/06/04 amount: 1/2

Shampoo: CON Shampoo
Deep Conditioners: Lekair cholesterol and keracare humecto
Rinse: None
Leave-in: Arosci, infusium, surge 14
Moisturisers: Profectic Breakfree, Roothealth, s-curl, sta-sof-fro
Supplements: Manatech products

Tai

I will also participate. I have to wash and measure. This will be my first official measure.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Wow, Boadicea!
This is a great thread.

I'll measure myself and get back to this thread.

Faith

I'll add my info later..thanks for doing this Boadicea. I was just saying to ballet_bun that we needed one:)

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Yes, I love support groups!!

Current hair length: 17 inches from hairline to ends relaxed
How tall are you?: 5'4"
BSL (top): 24 inches
BSL (bottom): 25 1/2 inches
Waist: 31 1/2 inches
Tailbone: 36 1/2 inches

Last trim: 09/03/04 amount: 1/2"
Last relaxer: 08/21/04 Revlon Regular lye

Shampoo: NTM Daily Cleansing, Dumb Blonde, Nioxin Cleanser Nexxus Therape
Conditioners: NTM Daily Deep, Nioxin, Nexxus Keraphix, Dumb Blond, Vo5, GF 3 min mask
Leave-in: Salerm 21 silk protein, NTM silk touch
Moisturizer: Monoi oil, , S-curl, Mango butter, vitacream, CDHHB
Pre-shampoo treatment: EVOO and
Appliances: Dazey Natural wonder hard hat dryer, Unil Flat iron
Supplements: MSM 1000mg, Biotin 10mg, Vitamin B complex, One a day multivitamin (soon to add l-cysteine and viviscal)

I am currently on the bun challenge until August of next year!

Boadicea

[ QUOTE ]
abainaa said:
How fo i add this to my favorites?

[/ QUOTE ]

Scroll all the way down to the bottom where it says "Extra Information" and click on the second to last link, "favorite threads toggle" and it'll appear in your My Home section.

Thanks for joining, ladies! I just did my measurements this afternoon when I washed my hair and gave it a trim. I added the height thing because I was curious about the ranges in BSL for different people.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
how do you guys measure your hair? my hair is longer in the back than in the front, so someone help me out with that

Boadicea

There are two popular ways to measure: General and Specific.

General: With a soft measuring tape, place and hold the beginning (metal part) of the tape on the middle of your hair line and drape the tape over your head. Make sure that the very tip of the metal is touching the edge of your hairline.

With your other hand, reach back and pinch the tape at your hair's longest point. Hold the tape firmly, careful not to pull your hair, and bring the tape back around so you can read the measurement.

It's a good idea to try this at least twice to see if you get the same reading.

Specific: This method is great if you have layers or breakage. If your hair is all one length, this method is pointless unless you're measuring your hair going back in one direction versus parted on the side of in the middle with the hair combed down.

With your measuring tape, part your hair in sections and measure each section from scalp to ends and record your findings. Always make sure to measure the exact same areas.

pink_flower

Current length:21 inches
Height: 5'1"
Top of BS: 22 inches
Bottom of BS: 23.5 inches
Midback: 26 inches

Last relaxer : 8/22/04 with Soft and Beautiful NO LYE
Last trim: ??? I dust my ends whenever

Shampoo: Fantasia Pure Tea Shampoo
Conditioner: Cream of Nature Nourishing, Feria Moisturizing or Generic Joico K-pak
Leave in: WGO
Styling products: Lets Jam gel and Smooth N Shine gellation
Daily Moituizer: Wave Nouveau Lotion
Appliances: Vidal Sassoon steam setter, soft bonnet dryer, and Jilbere ceramic iron(not often)

Routine: I wash and deep condition with heat 1-2x a week. Then I detangle with my Denman brush and airdry loose or in a bun. I try to avoid direct heat.

WaterMoccasin

Yay! Ok, here goes:

Current hair length: 21.5 inches (my best guess...it could be 22 but I didn't get to measure at the last straightening cuz I couldn't find my tape and I don't think I will be straightening/measuring again until December)
How tall are you?: 5'4"
BSL (top): 21 inches (long torso, but high bust)
BSL (middle): 21.5 inches
BSL (bottom): 22 inches
Waist: 31 inches

My current wash regimen:
Conditioner wash once a week
Wash w/ shampoo and deep condition/treat every 1 and a half-2 weeks. While conditioning, detangling as much as possible.
After washes, I use Infusium moisturizing leave-in conditioner. Then part hair (or not) and continue detangling, then bring on the world of curls gel (depending on product availability I might spray on some Care free curls moisturizer or Scurl moisturizer first). Bun bun bun!
I tie my hair down every night. Oh yes, I surge sometimes.

Last trim: February 2004- 1/2 to 1"
Last texturizer: 08/06/04- Motions (lye?)

Shampoo: Herbal essence hydrating, VO5 strawberries & cream, Dove, Suave (when i need to clarify)
Conditioners: Pantene Hydrating curls, Dove, VO5 strw/cream
Deep conditioners/treatments: GF 3 min mask, 10 en 1, Lustrasilk cholesterol/detangler, Herbal essence (I'm not buying the Herbal essence again by the way- as soon as they're empty that's it), Millenia mud volcanic ash treatment
Leave-in: Infusium Moisturizing leave-in
Moisturizers: Care free curl/Scurl moisturizer, world of curls moisturizing gel
Protein/hardcore treatments: Aphogee
Supplements: Currently 1. Seven Seas Cod liver oil w/ evening primrose and 2. One-a-day (active)

calbear

I definitely want to join - my hair appointment will be next week. Will get measurements then and post again. This is a great idea.

B

ballet_bun

This is a great thread Boadicea!

I'll join, but I was doing a "no-measuring challenge". I'll post the specifics of my regimen and measurements a little later.

skegeesmb

Current hair length: 23.5 inches
How tall are you?: 5'7"
BSL (top): 23.5-24.5 inches (depending on the bra)
BSL (middle): 24.5-25.5 inches
BSL (bottom): 25.5-26.5 inches
Waist: 29.5 inches

My current wash regimen:
Wash whenever I feel like it. That's usually 1 week, or if my hair itches really bad, which ever comes first.
I then do a deep conditioner every 4 months and a protein reconstructor every 6 weeks.

I then either do a braid out, or I rollerset, and flatiron my hair straight.

Last trim: July 20th about an inch.
Last texturizer: March 20, 2004- Revlon Realistic Regular

Shampoo: Sauve clarifying, Pantene Pro-V smooth and sleek
Leave-in: Infusium Moisturizing leave-in
Moisturizers: Wildgrowth Hairoil
Protein/hardcore treatments: Aphogee
Supplements: Currently Nothing. I'm tired of taking vitamins.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I'm in! I can't give measurements until the weekend when I get my touch up so I will edit this part when I getmy touch up.

Height: 5'9"
Current legnth: 22 inches (before I started braids)
Top of Bra Strap: 25 inches (depends on the bra)
Bottom of Bra Strap:

Last T/U: March 2004
Last Trim: August 28, 2004 (when took out braids for good)
Next T/U: September 11, 2004 - Motions

Regimen: I shampoo once a week, co wash once or twice in between shampoos, deep condition weekly, moisturize daily, air dry in ponytail only (on bun challenge), treatments as needed.

Pre Treat - Evoo or jojoba w/ coconut milk and or honey

Shampoo: CON, NTM daily, Elasta QP Creme Conditioning shampoo or Nexxus Therape

Conditioners (after shampoo): Elasta QP Intense, Pantene R&N, NTM Daily, Nexxus Humuctress

Leave Ins: NTM Silk Touch, Salerm, Infusium (only while in braids)

Conditioners(Co Washes) - Vo5 Strawberries & Cream, Suave Humuctant and Milk and Honey

Deep Conditioners: Motions Silk Protein, Aubrey GPB, Elasta DPR w/ coconut milk added, NTM Moisture Mask

Protein or Moisture Treatments: Nexxus Emergencee, Salerm Wheat Germ Mask - all with heat

Moisturizers: Elasta Oil Recovery, ORS Olive oil lotion, NTM silk touch leave in, Worlds of curls (bun only)

Supplements: 2,000 MSM, 2,000 flax seed oil, b-complex, biotin, sea kelp, vit c

Faith

Current hair length: 24.5 inches
How tall are you?: 5'3"
BSL (top): 22 inches
BSL (bottom): 24 inches
Waist: 28 inches

Last trim: September 5, 2004 Amount: 1/2" to 1"
Last relaxer: August 4, 2004 with Affirm Lye mild

Pre-shampoo treatment: Hot six oil, castor oil and honey
Shampoo: Millcreek's Biotin
Moisturizing Conditioners: Pantene S&S, KeraCare Humecto, Garnier Fructis 3min Mask
Mild Protein Conditoners: Affirm 5n1, Aubrey GPB, Elasta QP Intense
Intensive protein conditoners: Aphogee, nexxus emergencee
Leave-in: Elasta Qp recovery, Redken Anti-snap, Frizz Ease Texture Correcting Serum
Moisturizer: WGO, unbraid spray, scurl

Supplements: Brewers yeast (nails and skin), Omega 3-6-9 (for my skin) and a multi vitamin

Current regimen:
I wash my hair once a week. I'm doing the no poo thing for a while. I deep condition for about 1-2 hours each time. I use a protein conditoner 2x/month (the intense is really moisturizing and made my hair really soft).

Last trim: September 5, 2004 (before that August 4,2004)
I'm going to try and STOP trimming my hair so much. And just dust it 1x/month. I'm not going to even it out until my challenge is over in August 2005.

Faith

Current hair length: 24.5 inches
How tall are you?: 5'3"
BSL (top): 22 inches
BSL (bottom): 24 inches
Waist: 28 inches

Last trim: September 5, 2004 Amount: 1/2" to 1"
Last relaxer: August 4, 2004 with Affirm Lye mild

Pre-shampoo treatment: Hot six oil, castor oil and honey
Shampoo: Millcreek's Biotin
Moisturizing Conditioners: Pantene S&S, KeraCare Humecto, Garnier Fructis 3min Mask
Protein Conditoners: Affirm 5n1, Aubrey GPB, Elasta QP Intense
Leave-in: Elasta Qp recovery, Redken Anti-snap, Frizz Ease Texture Correcting Serum
Moisturizer: WGO, unbraid spray, scurl

Supplements: Brewers yeast (nails and skin) and Omega 3-6-9 (for my skin)

Current regimen:
I wash my hair once a week. I'm doing the no poo thing for a while. I deep condition for about 1-2 hours each time. I use a protein conditoner 2x/month (the intense is really moisturizing and made my hair really soft).

Last trim: September 5, 2004 (before that August 4,2004)
I'm going to try and STOP trimming my hair so much. And just dust it 1x/month. I'm not going to even it out until my challenge is over in August 2005.

sengschick

The Bun Master
I'm in. My ultimate goal is to have 24 -26" of even hair. I'm short-waisted so it should be a managable length for me.

Current hair length: 17.25 inches
How tall are you?: 5'10 1/2"
BSL (top): 20.5 inches
BSL (middle): 21 inches
Waist: 26 inches

Last trim: 03/04 amount: ?"
Last relaxer: 07/04 PhytoRelaxer (texturized)

Shampoo: Nexxus Therrape/Phytojoba/Nacidit Avocado (rare)
Conditioners: Nexxus Humectress/Nacidit Avocado Rinse/AO GPB/Nature's Gate Aloe
Rinse: ACV (once a month or when needed)
Leave-in: Nature's Gate Conditioners, Lacio Lacio, Salerm 21 (rarely)
Moisturizer: Castor, Avocado, Shea (limited), World O' Curls or Stay Sof Fro
Pre-shampoo treatment: various conditioners, hot oil (sporatically, since I'm wash n' wearing)
Deep conditioners: Nacidit Avocado Cream, Nexxus Emergencee, Keraphix, Deep Brilliance Reconstruct
Appliances: nada, heating cap for deep conditioning
Supplements: taken in 3 month cycles. Vivi (7 more weeks)-- GNC Ultra Hair & Nails-- Phyto-- Vivi

Wash cycle:
My wash cycle varies. Sometimes it's daily, but it's getting colder so sometimes it's a 1-2 day cycle. I'm air drying exclusively. If I wash @ night I let it hang to dry, if I wash before my day begins I let in dry in a french twist. I poo as needed, typically every 10 days or so. Since I'm condition washing frequently I don't deep condition w/heat as often as I used to. I need to resume and do it @ least once a week. I use a protein conditioner once a week and a heavy protein (Emegencee) once every other week.

jupiter

aight here it is

Current hair length:
crown 10" sides 5" and nape 8"
How tall are you?: 5'10"
BSL (top): 19 inches
BSL (middle): 20.5"
Waist: 27.5 inches
Tailbone: 34 inches

Last trim: 05/03 amount: 1/4"
Last color:06/04 Dark N Lovely

Shampoo: Suave
Conditioners: Suave
Moisturizer: Monoi oil
Pre-shampoo treatment: EVOO and conditioner (Mon.)Deep

Supplements: None

Wash cycle:
I wash my hair threee times a week: Monday and Wednesday and Saturday. Monday I do a pre-shampoo treatment.
After towel-drying my hair I apply my Surge Plus 14 on the scalp and the Woojee cream from the ends to the roots.
At night, I sleep with a satin scarf on my head.

1st goal shoudler length by December

sengschick

The Bun Master
[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
Stupid question are you guys measuring form hairline to ends?

[/ QUOTE ] No it's not
, you never can tell. My measurements are from crown to ends.