What Did You Learn Today?

LaidBak

I've said many times that I learn something new every time I log in to this site. So I can't help but wonder, what did you learn today? Did you discover a new product, or a new technique? Did you have a personal revelation about your hair? Did you realize that something you thought was true is actually not true? Share with me....

What did you learn today?

For me, today I learned that I really do have a curl pattern and not just a fuzzy mess. I just needed enough NG and moisture retention in that NG to actually see it. I love the way it looks and I wish I could experience a full head of it without all the waiting.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Believe it or not LB......I was thinking of Starting a Thread Like this....IK(scary).

Anyway: I learned that it's good to allow your Hair to Just Rest. From all the manipulation, relaxing, combing, styling etc...

I've also Learned that there really is a balance of protein and moisture that is attainable.

ooops! was I only suppose to just do 1:look:

LaidBak

Believe it or not LB......I was thinking of Starting a Thread Like this....IK(scary).

Anyway: I learned that it's good to allow your Hair to Just Rest. From all the manipulation, relaxing, combing, styling etc...

I've also Learned that there really is a balance of protein and moisture that is attainable.

ooops! was I only suppose to just do 1:look:

Girl no! Share as many lessons as you'd like.
You know we seem to be on the same hair wavelength. :yep: I think I have found my balance by using moisturizing DCs and adding liquid protein sources for strength only when necessary.

Oh! Today I also learned that I am transitioning to texlaxed, but not on purpose. My ends are bonelaxed. But because I have been "protecting" my hair with SAA before my relaxer they haven't been taking as well. So I have about 2 inches of texlaxed hair. I think that is why there has been less breakage at my line of demarcation.

brucebettye

I learned today that the main reason why my hair is breaking is because I stopped cowashing my hair. Good thing I come on this website often.

tuffCOOKiE

I learned today that I have a huge porosity problem (I've always known this, actually) but I believe I have to tools (now) to combat it!

HeShotMeBangBang

i learned that oiling my hair first then applying conditioner really strenthens my hair

peppermint tea is a wonderful thing to put on the hair

that grease and a water based moisturizer doesn't condition my hair enough, I need a lotion in there.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Not today: :grin:

1) But I have Learned that Stretching your Relaxer up to a certain point can actually be good for your Hair.

2) You got to know your Hair and know your Limit with stretching and take special care with both the NG and the previous relaxed hair at the same time. Not only keep it well Moisturized, but Keep it Strong too.

3) And I have learned that everything, be it product, tool, regimen, techinque is not for everybody.:nono:

4) That you can recover from a Setback.:wallbash:

5) Most importantly, that it takes time and it is a process. By this time next year, just think how much further along we will all be. In knowledge and overall appearance.:yep:

LaidBak

Today I figured out a way to style my hair in a french roll that can be done with absolutely no heat. And I have NG so not using heat to smooth the front is saying a lot. It goes w/o saying that this is a good thing for the health of my hair.

Bianna125

I learned that airdrying my hair with the scarf method worth wonders and keeps the front smooth until I cowash next!

LaidBak

I learned that Sebastian haircolor leaves my hair with a super rich, super shiny color! Off to go hoard me some Colorshines!

dachsies_rule!

Girl no! Share as many lessons as you'd like.
You know we seem to be on the same hair wavelength. :yep: I think I have found my balance by using moisturizing DCs and adding liquid protein sources for strength only when necessary.

Oh! Today I also learned that I am transitioning to texlaxed, but not on purpose. My ends are bonelaxed. But because I have been "protecting" my hair with SAA before my relaxer they haven't been taking as well. So I have about 2 inches of texlaxed hair. I think that is why there has been less breakage at my line of demarcation.

I didn't know that SAA keep relaxers from taking as well. I just started using them on my hair...sprayed my hair down with them the day of my last relaxer! I guess that's what I learned today :grin:.

sharifeh

what's SAA?
I learned that I need to incorporate vitamins (or chlorella) into my regimen because my hair growth is not optimal. for my HHJ, I've been focusing on external products only so far, and I think I have those partially figured out by now, my product base is good, I think.
But I take no vitamins and my diet is nothing to write home about. So I have to get on that.

that_1_grrrl

Well, I learned yesterday that I can do 4 large twists. I also learned this week that I can do a lot with my stretched hair.

Now, what I learned today. I was in Dearborn, which has a large Arab population. There was a beauty supply store. On the door, there was an ad for Dr. Miracle's something or other with an Arab model. Apparently, they market that crap to Arab women too.

sharifeh

Well, I learned yesterday that I can do 4 large twists. I also learned this week that I can do a lot with my stretched hair.

Now, what I learned today. I was in Dearborn, which has a large Arab population. There was a beauty supply store. On the door, there was an ad for Dr. Miracle's something or other with an Arab model. Apparently, they market that crap to Arab women too.

is dr. miracle's mostly marketed towards black hair?
lots of arab women have type 3 and 4 hair
like hispanics their type hair ranges from 1-4
maybe that's why

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I learned how Proud I Truly Am from All the Knowledge on this Forum ! This is such a Great Place to be.

Especially those of us that are really struggling with setbacks and trying to overcome a few Challenges.:ohwell:

Whether we are attempting to Transition, Stretch, contemplating a BC or dealing with Breakage, Thinning Hairlines, Itchy Scalp or Split Ends.

There is always someone there and willing to help. Someone that's been there and has a "solution."

That's what makes us all Sisters.:grouphug3:

that_1_grrrl

is dr. miracle's mostly marketed towards black hair?
lots of arab women have type 3 and 4 hair
like hispanics their type hair ranges from 1-4
maybe that's why

Being a Black Latina who grew up around Blacks, Latinas, and Arabs, I know there are a LOT of similarities in hair amongst us.

***In fact, there is this fine a** Arab guy that goes to my school who has 3b hair, a damn nice afro***

As far as I know, Dr. Miracle's was something targeted towards Black hair. I had never seen it advertised for any other ethnicities before! I could not see if it was the relaxer or any of that other junk they make.

Okay, I went to their site, and every woman on there was Black, lol. I don't know what to believe!

Last edited:

SEMO

I learned how Proud I Truly Am from All the Knowledge on this Forum ! This is such a Great Place to be.

Especially those of us that are really struggling with setbacks and trying to overcome a few Challenges.:ohwell:

Whether we are attempting to Transition, Stretch, contemplating a BC or dealing with Breakage, Thinning Hairlines, Itchy Scalp or Split Ends.

There is always someone there and willing to help. Someone that's been there and has a "solution."

That's what makes us all Sisters.:grouphug3:

I agree. This place is awesome. I don't think I would have been able to successfully go natural without this site. You guys are awesome. :hug2:

Pandora1975

I learned that if I wash my hair, it needs a dc too- no quickies for me evidently. Also that banding my hair for air drying is useless- just tangles. I learned that large hairpins are awful for my hair to hold magnetic rollers. Also that my hair is obnoxiously thin again and how to suck it up and start over on my routine- again.

tash85

I've learnt every last thing I know from this forum, from protein moisture balances to porosity control.

Without you guys I would still be none the wiser and would know the first thing about how to look after my natural hair

what have I learnt?: that my natural hair is managable, is fashionable, is sexy, is professional and, last but not least, is ALL MINE!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I learned today:

Since I am Phony-Bunning for the Summer Months, I will probably have to Up the Times I Clarify My Hair.:ohwell:

This is because of all the Leave-In's Gel, Serum, Moisturizers etc....to get it to lie flat enough to Bun.:perplexed

Therefore: Regular Clarifying is going to be an essential of my Summer Regimen to remove all the Product Build up.:look:

dachsies_rule!

what's SAA?
I learned that I need to incorporate vitamins (or chlorella) into my regimen because my hair growth is not optimal. for my HHJ, I've been focusing on external products only so far, and I think I have those partially figured out by now, my product base is good, I think.
But I take no vitamins and my diet is nothing to write home about. So I have to get on that.

SAA are silk amino acids. You can get some pure from Lotioncrafters online.

Black Hoya Chick

my hair likes me setting it in 2 braids at night instead of up in a bun. AND to keep my edges most i must make sure the satin scarf covers them too even if this means covering some of my ears (which hurts a bit)

Last edited:

msa

I learned on Saturday, while out with friends, that while I love wigs as a protective style they make me feel fake and uncomfortable. So, I might give them up.

Truth

Today I learned to go easy with my product, so I can stop having "white" hair ... I shingled but it was so "white that I just threw half of it up and went about my day....So yeah..that's my lesson..

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I learned on Saturday, while out with friends, that while I love wigs as a protective style they make me feel fake and uncomfortable. So, I might give them up.

Everything about you is So For REAL !:lachen: That's why I was kinda liike: :shocked: When I read your post about You wearing a wig:perplexed

I thought maybe you were Tyna' Hide from somebody:sekret:

Amari

Today I learned it's ok to seal w/ serum.My hair tends to hate oil,thats why i'm constantly selling/swapping my stash.My hair loooves serum,especially for airdrying.

msa

Everything about you is So For REAL !:lachen: That's why I was kinda liike: :shocked: When I read your post about You wearing a wig:perplexed

I thought maybe you were Tyna' Hide from somebody:sekret:

LOL. Yeah doesn't it seem out of character for me? I grew up wearing braids and I've had a few weaves over the years. And then I got into wigs last year. This whole time I've just been trying to convince myself that they're "just a protective style" and I need them (or something) to retain length.

But alas, it's not true. I know I can find some way to wear my hair that allows me to retain length without using fake hair. It's funny because I'm so used to being the only natural in the room. And on Saturday, in two different arenas, there was another natural whose hair was GORGEOUS. And there I was with my wig on feeling fakey fake fake.

So umm, I'm really rethinking this whole wig thing. I don't like feeling like a hypocrite and that's how wearing wigs makes me feel.