Discouraged 4a/4bs... this thread's for you!!!

AJamericanDiva

Discouraged 4a/4bs... this thread\'s for you!!!

It seems like every other day a type 4a/4b is posting about how discouraged they are and want to know whether or not they can reach their goals. Seeing is believing.
Take it from me. I am a fellow 4a/4b. As some of you may know, I've been experiencing some major postpartum shedding (tons of tears shed over that) and decided to do a braid-a-thon for one year with no relaxing in between. I started taking out my braids this week, even at week 5 as I had a lot of growth. Tonight as I took down my braids, I stretched my hair and low and behold... I'm inching closer to my goal of brastrap hair. At 5am, everyone is sleeping in my house, but when my daughter awakes, I'll have her take a backshot pic. The pic that I was able to take was a frontal shot. Later on today, I'll get rid of this grammamma maternity nursing bra and put on my red one that you usually see in my backshot photos. My goal is brastrap length. I even joined in the "Brastrap by 2005" challenge. At the rate I'm going, I may get there sooner. Here's my photo of when I started my haircare journey back in March of 2003 My starting point in March 2003 and this is a photo I took as I was taking down my braids. Me tonight, or should I say morning as I was removing my braids. Right now I am 4 months post relaxer. I don't intend to do another relaxer until next year this time and I am done with my braid-a-thon. I'm quite sure I should be well past brastrap by then, even with a good trim. Girls, be encouraged! I did not have long hair as a baby, nor even as a kid growing up. I was the "dry head pickney"! Look in my album. All the proof is there... baby pics and all. We can do it. Although it won't happen overnight, which is why I think a lot are feeling discouraged, with proper care and all the knowledge you're learning here at LHCF, I think you will succeed. At the very least, I think we are all capable of reaching brastrap length. God said something about a woman's hair being her crown or something to that effect... I pray and call God out on it, asking Him that my crown be a joy to me. I know some are thinking,
she done lost it now, but I don't think there is anything too small to ask God for. I give Him the glory for allowing me to experience the length that I have and even further discovering these hair boards where I've learned so much and have gotten nothing but love and support!
Happy growing as I know I'm rambling on now. Better go to bed now!!!

P.S. Will try and take a backshot of my hair stretched in the back and see how far I am from my goal... can't be too far!

Update 6/17/08- I will try and put those pics back in some other online album. Here is an update I posted on like page 40 or so or this thread.
Alright, Ladies! By request, here's an update... I know people have been like, "Whatever happened to AJD?"

I am a type 4a/4b... possibly even 4z!!! LOL!
This was taken in 1994... one of at least 2 big chops so you an see my hair in its natural state.

A Relaxer snapshot from over the years...

On the wagon, off the wagon... I'm pushing myself again.... this is the last relaxer shot from December 2007... need a new one now as I'm 4 months post relaxer....

Last edited:

pink_flower

Re: Discouraged 4a/4bs... this thread\'s for you!!!

DAMN..I wasnt expecting that second pic! That is some inspiration!

sithembile

Thats very inspirational, your hair is long and healthy, I'm going to start being serious with my hair journey. Since I've joined the forum a year ago, I've been focusing on products and the health of my hair, but now that I have a solid foundation, I'm going for length.

ElecEngnr

Wow, great progress pics!! You'll be at brastrap in no time

lovelymissyoli

You better GROW girl! I would resort back to braids because they give me the best growth except I want to try to grow my hair on my own. I'm not getting the best results though as I did with braids. If all else fails I'm going back to braids.

ccd

WHOA!!!!That is wonderful!!!!!!! Congrats on yout hair, length and health! it looks really strong!!!!

LuvLiLocks

Way to go JDiva, your hair looks great, and you are really an inspiration.

Cowgirl

WoW. AJD, I'm in awe.

Thank you so much for your story. I was definetly one of those in despair this week. Thanks for lifting my spirits and keeping me on track.

jainygirl

Diva, your hair is in excellent shape and your length is awesome
You're right, you will be ahead of schedule for reaching your goal
Congrats --
-- jainygirl

TBird

AJ you are an inspiration. I have a question though. I'm only about 6 weeks post relaxer and I can barely get my comb through this stuff. How are you doing it at 4 months? To me this is a miracle. :)

ubavka123

Wow, how inspiring!!! Thanks for reminding us that it really does not happen overnight, but that it DOES happen!
Me and my hair (baggage and all) are inspired!

ChoclatePrincess

Dang Diva you got me ready to put my braids back in. Your hair is starting to look like someone we both know!

PittiPat

*wiping away a tear* Congrats girl! Yes!! I'll keep hope alive!!

Leslie_C

GROW ON GIRL!

definitely an inspriration. Im also someone who wasnt starting out with a healthy full head of hair, a year ago I had to cut my hair down to practically nothing, and Ive gotten it to a little past shoulder length. Now with your inspiration, I feel like in another year Ill be proudly sporting your length.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

Wowee! That's a lot of growth. And your hair looks really healthy.
Good job!

ms_kenesha

WTG
That is a whole lot of growth, I bet you're bra-strap in back right now, if you checked

SouthernGirl

OMG Diva!!!!!!

You are an amazing inspiration
! I love to hear and see these stories. Thanks for proving that with diligence and patience, our hair can grow to exceptional lengths.
I'm also part of the brastrap challenge and you have inspired me to continue to be vigilant.

You GROW girl!

SG

Tene

Thanks for the encouragement and your hair looks awesome. It has gotten very long, you are a big inspiration.

Tonya

Girl are you sure you have not reached your goal?? I think you will be pleasantly suprised when you finish your hair! Your hair is AWESOME! Ok maybe I will try braids again soon.

DragonPearl

Girl, say no more! You've talked me into it!
I'm gonna buy some hair and I'm gonna braid my own hair this weekend. Hairbraiding challenge, here I come!

amy1234

oh my that is some growth you have there..congrats on your progress!!

laketta

wHOA!!! That is some serious growth there.
You said it took only a year to get there. Fantastic. My goal is to be below brastrap by this time next year. Congrats. I am so happy for you