To the ladies that do their own relaxers.

Mz.Shug

When and why did you start self-relaxing?

How have you benefited from it?

Were there any setbacks when you started?

I'm considering self relaxing any advice?

Son26

I started last year. I got tired of spending $80 every 2 months, arriving on time for my appnts but having to wait an hour before my stylist relaxed my hair, having thin hair because of over-processing, spending 4 hours in the salon even when it wasn't busy, etc.

How have you benefited from it? I no longer have thin, lifeless strands. My stylist would keep the relaxer on too long and I always got burns. I don't go over the maximum amount of time (relaxer never burns), but my hair still comes out straight, but bouncy, and it's not stuck to my scalp the way it used to be after I got a relaxer at the salon.

Were there any setbacks when you started? The first time I self-relaxed I was very nervous. I didn't put enough relaxer creme on the new growth, so my hair was under-processed. The 2nd and 3rd time my hair was just right - it looked better than all the relaxers I got at the salon.

I'm considering self relaxing any advice? I researched the self-relaxing threads on this site, and decided that relaxing in 2 sections made a lot of sense. Make sure you put a lot of relaxer creme on both sides of the new growth and smooth your hair with the back of the comb (using my fingers didn't get it straight enough).

MonPetite

Five Years ago. I was tired to stylists ruining my hair and didn't have the tools to go natural yet.

My hair stayed on my head. :look: In all seriousness, while I was relaxed my hair had shine, thickness and a supple, smooth feel. It retained length and was far more lovely than it had under any stylists hands.

Nothing a good DC and a protein treatment couldn't cure.

Use a chelating shampoo before your neutralizing poo if you use No-Lye.

Rinse your relaxer, rinse with neutralizing shampoo, use a vinegar rinse, rinse with neutralizing poo again -AND LET IT SIT FOR AT LEAST TEN MINUTES!!!

chrstndiva

I moved and I couldn't find a decent stylist in my area. After the last one, my hair had thinned out even more and broke off seriously and I went from APL to just at SL with lots of even shorter breakage. I have been self-relaxing since November '08.

I have learned a lot about my hair and am still learning what works for me. I know when I need moisture or protein and I have a better idea of what products are best for my hair. I trimmed off the damaged hair little by little and now I am growing back a thicker healthier head of hair. My hair is now below SL and I am shooting for APL by the end of the year. Also, I am saving a lot of money. My relaxer used to cost me $100 and I used to relax every 5-6 weeks. Now I relax every 8 - 10 weeks.

No major setbacks for me. Since I am now stretching my relaxers longer, I am still learning how best to deal with my new growth, but that remains my biggest challenge.

Read the newbie stickies, the articles by SistaSlick and read up on the products and techniques that you are interested in. All these things really helped me, because I used to be very dependent on my stylist to take care of my hair, now I can take care of my hair myself and it's a lot cheaper.

HTH

CAPlush

Several years ago when a stylist damaged my hair with a relaxer and it all broke off in clumps.

I save money, can do my own relaxer, and get the results I want.

No, I was on this board and studied the self-relaxing threads with fervor until I came across and combined all of the methods that I knew would work for me. The last thing was choosing a relaxer, and I went with ORS lye and have stuck with it.
Study the self-relaxing threads on this board until your eyes hurt. Take it step by step. First, choose a relaxer product. Decide what you will do to prep your hair. Plan out your application process. Plan out the neutralizing process. Plan out your follow up conditioning process. Plan everything beforehand, buy up all of the products and accessories you will need. Then follow your plan. It's not hard once you know what you're doing, but at least for me it was way more than just buying a kit.

CAPlush

Five Years ago. I was tired to stylists ruining my hair and didn't have the tools to go natural yet.

My hair stayed on my head. :look: In all seriousness, while I was relaxed my hair had shine, thickness and a supple, smooth feel. It retained length and was far more lovely than it had under any stylists hands.

Nothing a good DC and a protein treatment couldn't cure.

Use a chelating shampoo before your neutralizing poo if you use No-Lye.

Rinse your relaxer, rinse with neutralizing shampoo, use a vinegar rinse, rinse with neutralizing poo again -AND LET IT SIT FOR AT LEAST TEN MINUTES!!!

I love this advice. I am a firm believer that your neutralizing process should be about as long as the relaxer application. You brought your hair up in pH slowly, I can't understand why normally people believe it would instantly come back down to normal with a little neutralizing poo.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
When and why did you start self-relaxing?- My mom was always a DIYer, so I just followed in her footsteps. I think I was about 14 when I started doing my own relaxers

How have you benefited from it?- I enjoy not having to be at the mercy of some stylist. No arguing, feeling uncomfortable, having to correct the mess that someone else has done.

Were there any setbacks when you started?- Nope, not that I can think of

I'm considering self relaxing any advice?-
*Always keep aloe vera juice in the fridge. If you get relaxer burns, immediately spray it on and massage it into the burned spots. By the morning, you won't have any scabs, but the spots WILL be tender. Just massage the juice on your scalp for the next few days until the tenderness subsides :yep:
*While neutralizing, really massage the shampoo in to make sure it reaches every strand. Leave it on for 10 minutes to let it do its job
*The wash after you relax your hair, use a neutralizing poo again to make sure all of the relaxer is out
*Don't skimp on the relaxer cream while applying it. Use globs of it, to make sure all of the ng is covered. If you don't use enough cream, random spots will be underprocessed

Last edited:

blackpearl81

When and why did you start self-relaxing? I started self-relaxing when I went to college (1999) and my mom wasn't around to do it anymore:perplexed

How have you benefited from it? I personally hate going to the salon becuz they never, ever get it right and I always end up coming home "fixing" it. In all of the years I've self relaxed, I realized what I was doing wrong when I joined LHCF. I never based my scalp until recently...yea I kno, I kno....and I've recently switched from no-lye to lye which was the best hair decision I've made in a while. I find it beneficial to self-relax becuz I have more control over the outcome. And its cheaper :blush:

Were there any setbacks when you started? Well, I always overprocessed becuz I was told to not wash it out until it burned :wallbash:, so I did't even time the process! I can't even tell you how many scalp burns I've had:nono:

I'm considering self relaxing any advice? Research, research, research. Make sure you section, base ur scalp, and protect your previously relaxed hair. Make sure to rinse several times to ensure that all relaxer is out and pleaze time the process....scalp burning just means trouble...I had to learn that the hard way....HTH!!! Good luck chica!

LushLox

I can't contribute because I haven't started self relaxing yet, but I will be, so I'm bumping for you OP. Great thread! :)

ShiShiPooPoo

When and why did you start self-relaxing?I started about 3-4 months ago. I was getting tired of inconsistent results at the salon and lazy stylists who don't know anything about haircare and sitting in the salon ALL DAY.

How have you benefited from it? My hair is how I want it and I feel more in control and not like I am placing such an important thing (such as hair health) in the wrong hands.

Were there any setbacks when you started? A little breakage and I needed a trim which I did myself as well. I used protein to repair the breakage.

Get some high quality products. Since I've been doing it myself I have upgraded just about everything. I bought a steamer, a salon dryer, and I changed out my combs...just about everything. People don't even know I do my own hair and are :blush: when I tell them. It looks better than when I go to the salon.

Good Luck!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I started so that I could be free of stylists. No one takes care of my hair or is as gentle with my hair as I am. I'm going to see if I can find and bump this HUGE self-relaxing thread for you. Be sure and find London Diva's info. on self-relaxing in that thread. (there will be a link to her blog or another thread in that thread--if confused, PM me!)

SelfStyled

This is a great thread!

I started self relaxing in September 07 because a Stylist over processed my hair and I had to cut it into a very short bob. I figured why pay someone else to mess up my hair. Not to mention in Massachusetts good stylist are very hard to come by.

Do you know since I have started self relaxing I have not suffered one scalp burn ever. Ever. I think the stylist used to put the creme directly on mu scalp:rolleyes:

I can't say that I have saved money:look: because what I used to pay the salon now I buy hair products, lol.

My hair is much thicker now that I do it myself.

I did have one setback that came to not neutralizing properly about a year and a half ago. Now that I neutralize correctly I have not had a setback at all. I wash 2x with the neutralizing poo and let it sit for at least 5 min ea time

Make sure you use enough creme, scrimping will lead to under processed hair. Make sure that apply relaxer to the top and bottom on your resistant areas ( i hope that made sense). Like say you have a section, apply to the top and the underside.

Sistaslick's article was very helpful to me and I review it before each and every touchup. http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...safely_applying_chemical_relaxers.html?cat=69

ETA:practice your application with conditioner beforehand.

prospurr4

I started self-relaxing MANY years ago, after my first and only trip to a beauty salon. I had just gotten my virgin hair relaxed, and after it was over, I thought, "I could have done that myself." So, I have been self-relaxing ever since.

I have saved tons of money, tons of time waiting around a salon, and gotten to "know" my hair.

Oh, heck yes! I was soooo overprocessed it was a shame. I wish there were hairboards around when I started; I could have saved a lot of hair. :ohwell:

Read and prepare as much as you can before you do it. There is so much great info. on this site.

janeemat

Get some high quality products. Since I've been doing it myself I have upgraded just about everything. I bought a steamer, a salon dryer, and I changed out my combs...just about everything. People don't even know I do my own hair and are :blush: when I tell them. It looks better than when I go to the salon.

Good Luck!

ShiShi, what kind of combs do you have?

MA2010

I started self relaxing and self everything when I moved to Italy about a year ago. There is no AA beauty salon that I know of, so I figured I had to become a "Do it yourselfer".

I've saved tons of money, I've grown to understand and love my hair, I've learned what works, and I actually think I do a great job at it.

My first relaxer became a texlax real quick but I didn't mind. :grin:

Here is a great thread on adding silk amino acids to relaxers to prevent damage: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=112817

Relaxer info:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=157899

Mt self texlax thread with pics: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=274363

janeemat

Well let me answer:blush:

When and why did you start self-relaxing? April 4th 2009. My regular stylist starting charging me $125. Tried another stlylist and that was a hot mess; waaaaay underprocessed and tangled like you wouldn't know. 16 wks post was to much for her. This was a corrective and it turned out very nice.

How have you benefited from it? I have only self relaxed once, but will be from now on. My hair was not tangled and I handle it very gentle unlike most stylist.

Were there any setbacks when you started? As stated, I was underprocessed and suffered some breakage.

Read and study all of the information on this site and you will do fine.

MAMATO

I started relaxing at my second application, I was 19 and was a broken student. My parents (specially my father) were so against me relaxing my hair so there was no way they would finance me. I had never been a frequent relaxed head. I'd get a relaxer everytime I feel like my arms were not enough to detangle my hair, which was every 2 or 3 months depending on the season. Setbacks: nothing major but I am sure I had some...

Desarae

When and why did you start self-relaxing? I've been self relaxing for 8 years. (Since I was 14)

How have you benefited from it? Saved money, time, and hair.

Were there any setbacks when you started? Yes, me being so young I really didn't know much about hair and my mom wasn't much help in the hair department. I'm sure I overprocessed and underprocessed a few times, but nothing dramatic. But now that i've researched all of the relax threads, and Sistaslicks' articles, I'm a pro and get professional results (better than ''professional") every time. I've always said, if anybody's gonna mess my hair up it's gonna be me, I'm sure not gonna pay anybody else to damage my hair again!

Research
Use a Timer
Practice with conditioner
Base your scalp
Work on clean hair for even results
Rinse all the relaxer out thoughly before neturalizing
Use a protien conditioner before shampooing
Neutralize thoroughly
Work in sections
Don't comb through the hair with the creme on. Just part and smooth
Try apply to newgrowth only*
Try not to apply directly to scalp *

You'll get better with practice! Good luck to you:yep:

I started self-relaxing September 2008 because I was tired of my hair stylist being rough with my hair and pulling it out. I had bald spots in my hair from where she had broke it off. When she blamed it on me I was done. :ohwell: I had a string of bad hair stylist so I decided to just take care of my hair on my own. I discovered LHCF around August 2008 and had done a bunch of research.

My hair is the longest it has been since childhood. My hair is healthier and I have learned how to care for my hair. Oh and no burns at all. :yep:

No, but I was very underprocessed the first few times. The very last relaxer I did a corrective and it was fine but I wish I would have kept it underprocessed because now I am thinking about texlaxing and I miss my waves :wallbash: I use Mizani BB and its great.

Before I self relaxed I did a ton of research. I decided to relax in two sections and that was great. I based my scalp well and made sure I had all the products laid out that I needed. I started off using gloves but soon realized it was easier for me to do the back without them because I can feel where the new growth ends. I know some people think its bad but it works for me. Lasly, make sure you rinse, rinse, rinse....

Cleve_gryl

When and why did you start self-relaxing? About two years ago, after I joined this board :yep: My stylist also was burning up my hairline, apply the relaxer there first. I got fed up with bald spots on my temple.

How have you benefited from it? It's much less expensive than going to the salon and spending $100 for a touch up and trim I didn't need. I also can control where I apply the relaxer, how long I leave it on, and the products I use during and after.

Were there any setbacks when you started? The only setbacks were before I started self relaxing (stylist setbacks). The setbacks are what lead me to LHCF in the first place.

I'm considering self relaxing any advice? You could always practice with conditioner to get the feel of how you're going to apply it. When I first did it at home, I had an arsenal of mirrors set up in the bathroom :look:. Now, its no biggie!! I feel around my NG and feel I'm a pro at it. Good luck to you! You have a wealth of knowledge here, use it to your advantage!

audacity.

When and why did you start self-relaxing? in high school (a long time before LHCF :grin:); because it was convenient and cheap!

How have you benefited from it? $$$$$$$ and time

Were there any setbacks when you started? when i started self relaxing? i don't think so...

I'm considering self relaxing any advice? you don't have to relax bone straight; underprocessing is ok :yep:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I started self relaxing when I wanted to texturize. The reason why I did it myself was because the process seemed pretty complicated and I didn't trust a stylist to do it right. I figured that if I self-relaxed, the only person I could blame was myself.

So far, I have remained independent when it comes to my hair care, which means money saved.

Setbacks? Nope.

If you're self relaxing, do strand tests first. That way you can determine what time/method works best for you.

*Michelle*

I started in 1981 (and have been doing it off/on since). I fluctuated between natural and relaxed for yrs. But the past 10yrs I've been texlaxed and love it. I had gone to a stylist and was burned by the chemicals...needless to say that was it! Also what made me enroll in cosmetology school that yr.

I maintain a healthy head of hair. If it's not I have nobody to blame but me!

I had some breakage in the nape area the first couple of times.

Find a technique/product that works for you. After you rinse the relaxer, but before you neutralize use a good moisturizer (with no heat). While rinsing...rinse, rinse, rinse and did I say RINSE!!??

Last edited:

Denise11

I've been self relaxing for over 25 years, and I love it. I haven't had to worry about stylists taking out my hair. No setbacks either.

By the way I've been relaxing my 2 daughters' hair too. No problems for them either.
They are grown up now, so they do it themselves now.

Aggie

When and why did you start self-relaxing? I started self relaxing when I joined lhcf and that was in October 2007.

How have you benefited from it? Oh absolutely! I am saving a minimum of $105 every 8-10 weeks in relaxer treatments, I suffer from way less over-processed hair, I am now texlaxed and loving the change.

Were there any setbacks when you started? Oh sure. I had to transition from no-lye relaxers to lye relaxers and I experienced a little breakage from that transition especially in the center of my head. Then I was using the wrong strength relaxer (regular) which was too strong for my fine strands. I soon realized I had to make another switch to mild relaxers and that turned out to be really good for my hair. It still made my hair kinda straight so I decided just 4 months ago that I will begin texlaxing my hair by adding oils to the relaxer. Great choice!

I'm considering self relaxing any advice? Research self-relaxer information and know your own hair, whether it's thick, fine, medium, etc in order to determine the strength of the relaxer that's perfect for your hair. Know what you want to do with it. Do you like your hair 'bone straight' or do like a 'wash and go' type of look? There are many fotkis that have relaxer info in it. You can also check out the relaxer steps by Sistaslick on www.associatedcontent.com. Just put her name "Audrey Sivasothy" in the search field and all of her articles will come up. She has quite a few articles that you will find very helpful to you in this new hair journey. HTH!

sqzbly1908

Got tired of paying ridiculous amounts of money to only go home and re-wash/do my hair. Also when I started using the Mizani Butter Blend (lye) it was hard finding other stylists that used it. I started self-relaxing the end of last year

How have you benefited from it? Yes, I am doing more to my hair during the relaxer process than the stylists and my hair has really benefited from it - I only go the salon when I need a trim.

Were there any setbacks when you started? Yes - I underprocessed a couple of areas but over all I was pleased with my progress as I did not have any breaking or shedding-especially since it was my first time. I was mad prepared and nervous as h***, but I am getting more acclimated

I'm considering self relaxing any advice? My hair has really thrived with using a the mid step (after relaxer - before neutralizing shampoo) of Ultra Sheen Duo Tex - I have very fine hair and this definitely makes my hair stronger and then after I rinse the relaxer I use a moisturizing conditioner - i.e. Kenra MC, Nexxus Humectress - then rollerset. - I studied (still do) the self relaxing tips located in the Stickies area of the board

locabouthair

When and why did you start self-relaxing? because everytime I would get bald spots/broken patches when a stylist relaxed my hair. I was trying of paying people to jack up my hair.

How have you benefited from it? I have except for the one setback I had (see below). I get to neutralize as long as I want and not hear someone complain about the ng

Were there any setbacks when you started? The third time I did it, I rinsed it out in the shower insteda of the sink like I usually do and I guess I didnt rinse it that well because the nape is broken off. Plus I kept it on there for too long.

I'm considering self relaxing any advice? Rinse out the relaxer THOUROUGHLY. Let the neutralizer sit on the hair. Dont go over the time. Dont overlap. Protect the relaxed ends with conditoner and oil.

imaccami

When I went to college I just fell out of the habit of going to the salon every week. It got to be that I started going only for relaxers. Then I just got fed up with spending my entire Saturday there, so I just went to the drug store and bought a relaxer. My sister and I decided to self relax; I would do the front of my hair and she would do the back, and vice versa for her hair. Over time we didn't need any help and were able to do it on our own. I've been self relaxing ever since.

I have control over my life, schedule and hair. It really is my worst nightmare to have to go to the salon. I remember a thread from a while back about whether or not someone should go to the salon for their wedding day, I really don't know if I will.

Nothing major. It actually helped me connect the dots and realize that the scabs were from the relaxer getting on my scalp. I know this sounds idiotic, but I really had no idea where those scabs came from. Now that I can completely rinse and neutralize, I never get scabs anymore.

The other ladies have said it and I'll echo it, rinse rinse rinse rinse. It takes me about an hour to an hour and a half to relax my hair. Applying the relaxer takes 22 mins, the rest of the time I'm in the shower rinsing and neutralizing my hair, mostly rinsing. Any spot that's sore or tingles gets rinsed until ALL the tingliness goes away. Part your hair with your hands and try to make sure that every single part of your scalp gets direct water spray on it. I play music so I have an idea of how long I'm rinsing. I'm like, "I'll rinse this spot until the end of this song, I'll leave the neutralizer in for this entire song." etc.