I BKT'd today!

Dove56

Hello ladies,

I finally did my BKT today! I started at 9:30am and ended at 1:00pm :drunk:. Here's some info:

My hair is 3b/c/6z in the crown..lol. I am currently tex-curly-relaxed-ish...that's the only way to describe it. I relaxed after 9 years of being natural do to nothing but sheer boredom. I was sick of buns, ponytails, frizz, knots and not being able to wear my hair straight. In retrospect I don't really regret it. I would have loved to be able to do both EASILY but that wasn't the case. I'm trying the BKT to see if I can forgeo relaxing (I relaxed twice last year) wear it curly AND wear it straight without any drama.

What BKT brand did I use: 2% Global Keratin

Patch test: I have eczema and allergy issues so I tested this on my skin for 24 hours before I put this stuff in my hair. Luckily, I wasn't allergic.

Hair health: My hair is very, very strong. It is medium textured and in pretty good health. I have some subtle highlights and I need one more trim to completely eliminate the honey blond highlights from 2007.

Length: Tons of layers added 3 weeks ago. I am BSL. I am thinking of cutting to a shoulder length bob.

Process: I shampooed 3 times with Global Clarifying shampoo.

I blowfried then parted my hair in about 6 sections and then applied the treatment. After that I blowfried my hair again. The fumes were extremely irritating while I was blowfrying :spinning:. I used a fan, opened windows and wore a mask! I suggest a fume extractor; I wish I would've had one! I won't do the treatment again without one!!!!

Flatiron: Flatironing took FOREVER. :perplexed I used the Babyliss Nano Titanium 1". This flatiron is so beyond wonderful I have no words. It makes my Chi Ultra look like a Vidal Sasson from Wal-Mart!

Temperature: 425° MAX. Some years ago I used a flatiron from Sally's on 450° and my hair hit the floor. My hair was badly burned :nono: . NO WAY was I doing that again. I've used Maxi-glide on the highest setting (428°) and my hair didn't burn. Around my edges I used 400°. The steam and fumes are just not any good. I didn't like how my eyes felt and I don't like how they feel now. IF I end up liking this treatment I may just go to the salon and let them do.

My hair felt coated and ‘waxy’ until I flatironed it then it was silky straight, soft and very smooth. I went over each section no more than 5 times. If the 425° and FIVE swipes of a flatiron don’t ‘bake’ the keratin into my hair nothing will because that is an insane amount of heat!

End result: My hair is very soft, swingy, full of body and super straight. I hate lounging around the house with my hair down so I tried to wrap it and that was a workout..lol. It’s so straight it just doesn’t want to behave. I don’t know how people with naturally straight hair do it! Texture is a beautiful thing! I posted some pictures in my Fotki. It is overcast today so when the sun comes out I’ll take some more.

My thoughts: I don’t like the fumes but so far I the treatment. I will know for sure if it’s all it’s cracked up to be after I wash on Monday (4/20). My hair is about a 3a now so it’ll be interesting to see how it dries. My goal is to be able to roller set with super sleek, silky results. I’m trying to minimize the heat at least until the bleached ends are gone. If I like this I will definitely do it again next time and try the Coppola Keratin system.

Last edited:

ShantWhite

Wow! You and your hair are SUPERMODEL BEAUTIFUL!!!! Great job for a do-it-your-selfer :yep:.

*Just a note: since you don't have a quicklink in your intro thread, I had to go to your personal page and cut & paste your link, but it wouldn't connect because you have it listed as "fokti" and not "fotki".

Dove56

Wow! You and your hair are SUPERMODEL BEAUTIFUL!!!! Great job for a do-it-your-selfer :yep:.

*Just a note: since you don't have a quicklink in your intro thread, I had to go to your personal page and cut & paste your link, but it wouldn't connect because you have it listed as "fokti" and not "fotki".

Thank you so much. :drunk: After viewing that Youtube tutorial I figured it couldn't be too hard! It was but I saved some $ in the process...lol. :)

sheba1

Thanks for sharing your experience, Veejee! Looks beautiful. Sorry about your eyes not feeling right after :( feel better

yodie

Your hair is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your results.
Seems like BKT just gets better and better with each person's review.

Dove56

That's some swingin' beautiful shiny hair you have there. The results are great!

Wow, your hair is gorgeous and SO ARE YOU! Can't wait till you update Monday.

Thank you! I can't wait either. I wrapped it last night and I LURVE how it looks this morning. :grin:

Great results, you are very pretty and your hair looks great.

Thank you! :)

Absolutely lovely!

Thanks! I can't wait to see how it does on after the first wash.

Beautiful hair.:yep: I am going to do this soon too. Where did you buy the Global Keratin from?

I purchased mine from Ebay. I bought enough for only one treatment and it included 3oz of product and 3oz of Global Clarifying shampoo.

Your hair came out really great!

Thank you!

Thanks for sharing your experience, Veejee! Looks beautiful. Sorry about your eyes not feeling right after :( feel better

I feel so much better today. :yep: My eyes don't feel so irritated thank goodness. I won't do it again without the fume extractor. :nono:

Dove56

Your hair looks stunning. Wow.

Thank you. :drunk:

WOW!:2cool:
Your hair and that shine is beautiful!
You did an awesome job! Please post pics after you shampoo!

I will post them ASAP. :yep: I usually don't wish my weekends away but Monday can't come fast enough..lol. :grin:

Your hair looks amazing! Great job.

Thank you. :)

Your hair is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your results.
Seems like BKT just gets better and better with each person's review.

I think I'm going to love it minus the fumes. :ohwell: The fume extractor will definitely make the process much more comfortable. :yep: It's worth the results so far. Monday will tell the tale though. :drunk:

Your hair came out so silky. It's beautiful.

Thank you! It does make your hair very smooth.

Here's an inexpensive fume extractor to help eliminate bad smells, itchy eyes, etc.
http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp...=&utm_campaign

Thanks Yodie!! :notworthy