2 years, 7 months, fully natural and approaching BSL (Pic Heavy)

Hi Ladies,

I just thought I'd share my progress with you guys. This is nothing special for those of you with hair down to your knees, but it might be helpful for the newbies. It's been two years and seven months since my last BC (I've been natural for longer, but this is my latest go 'round).

I cut off all my damaged hair back in September of 2006 - it was probably about 1 1/2 - 2 inches long. I personally chose not to transition because, for me, dealing with the two textures was just too much and it didn't make sense to me. And because I didn't want to use heat at that time, cutting it all off worked for me:

Here's a pic of what it looked like dry with NO PRODUCTS (looks like a different head of hair, huh? I need PRODUCT in order to get beautiful curls - don't be fooled!!!):

Continued to sport a fro for a VERY long time...my hair grew OUT before it started growing DOWN:

I have to give props to twists for getting me through the in-between stages:

And last year, I really started babying my hair. Once I got pregnant, I really started using more natural products...bentonite clay for deep cleansing, coconut oil for moisturizing, and less manipulation. I started wearing more buns, and just doing less to it.

I got it straightened last summer for a trim and was just below shoulder length:

Got another trim just before I had MK and was almost APL (although, the front was shorter):

And I just got it trimmed again today. The front has grown a lot and is catching up to the back. The trimming has done wonders at evening it out.

I always said my goal was BSL natural hair. Not sure if I want to deal with it much after that point. But I post this to highlight the following:

- Hair does grow with TLC
- Find a routine and STICK WITH IT if you know it works for YOU
- Don't look at regimens of people's hair you WANT, look at regimens of people's hair that resembles YOUR OWN
- Sometimes natural products are better, sometimes not
- It's all about nurturing the ends of your hair. It's the oldest and most open to the elements and splits ends start here and no place else.

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
I'm speechless!!!! WOW...You and your hair are beautiful....A total inspiration!

yamilee21

Wow, your hair has grown beautifully. It look so full and healthy.

But I am intrigued by your opening comment... are there really people on this forum with knee-length hair?
:eek:

Miss_Luna

Excellent progress! You're hair is gorgeous.

Quick question: How often did you detangle when you were wearing your fro everyday?

LivingDoll

I have to echo the previous poster. I'm speechless too. I love your hair at every stage! You are truly an inspiration!

CarLiTa

my goodness!!!!:love:

you have THE most amazing head of hair. the thickness, the lushness... to die for :love: :love:

Thanks y'all. It's been hard to stay focused. But there is a lot of inspiration out there on fotki and definitely here, of course! I gotta say thanks to all of you guys, and definitely my homegirl Jazzi who really got me started on the information front with this journey and doing it right. The bohemian routine is her creation and is WONDERFUL for those with a new BC.

But nothing is better than patience!

lusciousladie07

I love your hair.. your hair reminds me of mine as a child... right now it kind of looks like your hair did when u did the big chop but even shorter... Did you have a problem with dryness and if so.. what did you use to moisturize but keep the curl?? Again...luvin the hair!!