Weekly Heat: What are you all afraid of?

Christelyn

Okay, so I found a regimen that is really working for me. For the last several weeks, I've been washing, DCing and doing a light protein every to every other week. I also bought a banging flat iron (Paul Mitchell Express Pro) that leaves my cuticles flat, so my hair is shiny and bouncy. Plus, I'm hardly experiencing any breakage. In fact, my hair looks and feels that healthiest it's been since I've started doing it myself.

BUT...I keep hearing from many members in the group about heat has been so bad for their hair, which makes me a little nervous.

What are your reasons for avoiding heat? (BTW, I protect my hair with Ted Gibson's Hair Sheets before I flat iron).

prospurr4

No fear here...I avoid heat because I prefer curly or textured styles over straight hair. So, I see no reason to use heat.

I'm glad your new regimen is working for you.

Rei

remember, what works for one, will not necessarily work for others. My hair cannot take that much heat, and it dislikes a lot of proteins. Too much heat is what lead me onto this board in the first place, so I'm not going to get burned again, lol. But if it works for you, don't fix what's not broken :)

Same here for me. My hair looks shiny and is very soft and I flat iron every week. I do keep up with protein treatment to pull resilience back in my hair. Just dont forget to airdry every once in a while. As a rule for everything...too much of anything is bad.

jaszymeen

i think you should be fine just as long as you protect your hair while using the heat. also you know what your hair can and cannot handle.

tdwillis

Very interesting question. I think a lot of people do this, but just don't claim it on the board. :look:
I grew up getting my hair pressed once a week and I when I was grown, I thought it was totally normal. A couple of months ago, I tried no heat and it was a mess and breakage all over the place. If it works for you, go for it. I agree that DCing and protein treatments are key if this is going to be your regimen.
Question, can you tell me how you protect your hair with the hair sheets?

silkii_locks

Too much heat gives me split ends like crazy. So in my opinion it's a trade off, more heat=more trims=less retention.

Last edited:

that_1_grrrl

To be honest, I don't have anything to fear. When I was relaxed, I used a blow dryer and a curling iron every week. My hair was still thick and strong, and I didn't even know about heat protectant (I think my damage came from combs and lack of moisture). My hair can take heat.

But at the same time, I feel I shouldn't risk it. My hair is in great health, and I do not want to see what I've accomplished go down the drain. Plus, I really have no reason to use heat. My favorite hair style is my wash 'n go.

cutiepiebabygirl

remember, what works for one, will not necessarily work for others. My hair cannot take that much heat, and it dislikes a lot of proteins. Too much heat is what lead me onto this board in the first place, so I'm not going to get burned again, lol. But if it works for you, don't fix what's not broken :)

co-signing!!

This is so true...I personally can not take a lot of heat. I have literally burnt my hair out that way. But in defense of heat users, if it's working for you and your regimen..then great! I don't look down on others that are doing things differently from me. I think we all can learn from each other..and decide what's best for our individual head of hair.

I say monitor your hair very closely...you hair will let you know how much heat it can / can not take!!:yep::yep::yep:

LushLox

I prefer curls, I think it makes for a more romantic and feminine look. I don't even own a flat iron. The only time I will ever straighten is when I go to the salon for a touch up, which is quarterly.

1Aleeesha

It works for me too.

I Deep Condition on dry hair (either overnight or under the dryer), then rinse in the shower, sometimes do an oil rinse, and/or sometimes shampoo, Either way I condition again while I'm in the shower... Get my bathe on, then rinse. Come on out, apply leave-in (lately it's been Potion No.9, by the way a little bit goes A LONG way!) S-curl Moisturizer (a little bit goes a LONG way too!) foam wrap lotion, and seal with oils and a serum.

I air dry then flat iron, about once a week never more than once a week for about 3-4 weeks. Then, that next week I Deep Condition on dry hair every other day so that's about 3 days in that week. Then I go back to my flat iron once a week for the next 3-4 weeks. I always rotate between Protein and Moisturizing conditioners (Often I mix them together too). All this is so I don't over moisturize or over protein it.

There's nothing to be afraid of as long as I deep condition the mess out of my hair like this LOL. If I didn't I would see lots of breakage I am certain. So I always say deep conditioning is my friend :grin: I go through more conditioner in my life than I do any other hair product LOL.

msa

I'd be interested to see how your hair is doing after 3 months of this regimen. It seems like it never really works out in the long-term, from what I've seen on the board.

mxdchiq86

well, what i fear, is my hair being in the condition it was a few years ago.. while i was flat ironing constantly. granted, i was not using a heat protectant or practicing any of the healthy hair care practices that i do today but, cutting back on heat has only done good for my hair.

my question is, NOT using heat weekly.. what are you all afraid of? lol.. there was a point where i felt self concious when i DID NOT flat iron. i'm glad i got over that hump, and so is my hair.

don't get me wrong. i still flat iron my hair.. probably more often than alot of people but, heat WEEKLY would not work for me. my hair thrives in its natural state.

gissellr78

I use heat weekly...Less tangels = less breakage....

But what works for some doesnt work for others....I rollerset and then blow out the curls with heat protectant ofcourse:grin:

Christelyn

Very interesting question. I think a lot of people do this, but just don't claim it on the board. :look:
I grew up getting my hair pressed once a week and I when I was grown, I thought it was totally normal. A couple of months ago, I tried no heat and it was a mess and breakage all over the place. If it works for you, go for it. I agree that DCing and protein treatments are key if this is going to be your regimen.
Question, can you tell me how you protect your hair with the hair sheets?

I put the hair sheets on just after I dry and before I flat iron. I got the idea when a previous poster put up an article from Essence.com in which the product was mentioned. Great stuff by the way.

Christelyn

well, what i fear, is my hair being in the condition it was a few years ago.. while i was flat ironing constantly. granted, i was not using a heat protectant or practicing any of the healthy hair care practices that i do today but, cutting back on heat has only done good for my hair.

my question is, NOT using heat weekly.. what are you all afraid of? lol.. there was a point where i felt self concious when i DID NOT flat iron. i'm glad i got over that hump, and so is my hair.

don't get me wrong. i still flat iron my hair.. probably more often than alot of people but, heat WEEKLY would not work for me. my hair thrives in its natural state.

Unfortunately for me, mine does not. Last summer I tried twists and twist outs, and got more breakage than I had ever seen in my life. I think it has to do with how fine my hair is, and how easily it is tangled. No tangles, no breakage.

Christelyn

Quote: Is there anyone left who actually loves their natural texture? Or am I the only one?

Interesting question, and a fair one. I like my texture, and I really liked the look of twistouts. The problem was that my hair was dry and broke, broke, broke. If the purpose of my styling was simply to highlight my texture, then I wouldn't mind the breakage so much, but after all, this is the LONG HAIR CARE FORUM. (SMILE)

Christelyn

OP how much length have you retained/growth have you gotten and kept with this regimen?

The hair grows regardless, but I have to say the difference in retention. I don't have a lot of breakage on styling day, and I am very careful with my manipulation through out the week. I don't flat iron again, I use a light oil, finger comb or gently comb with a seamless comb as a roll it once a day. A comb never completely goes through my hair from root to tip again until wash day. I'll post pictures next week. I'd like to keep a record, and I have a feeling that you ladies will keep me honest. :drunk:

msa

Quote: Is there anyone left who actually loves their natural texture? Or am I the only one?

Interesting question, and a fair one. I like my texture, and I really liked the look of twistouts. The problem was that my hair was dry and broke, broke, broke. If the purpose of my styling was simply to highlight my texture, then I wouldn't mind the breakage so much, but after all, this is the LONG HAIR CARE FORUM. (SMILE)

I've just been contemplating that question lately, I didn't expect you to answer...that's why it's in my siggy...I hope you don't think I was trying to question your motives for straightening or how you feel about your hair.

TaurusAngel

I use heat often and i enjoy it. The key is to dc weekly, combined with protein. My hair loves protein so it is easy for me. Shtow is one member who uses heat weekly and she is at BSL right now i believe, so it is possible to use heat and retain. You do have to be careful though. I don't use it weekly but i do flat iron every other week. :)

*Michelle*

Not afraid here! I bdry and f-iron weekly. I rollerset about once a year and never do braid outs...my hair is just fine. With that said I do use premium products/tools and think that is one of the keys.

PGirl

Using heat DAILY is a no no (which is what I did prior to LHCF). But ....I use moderate heat weekly. In fact I went to my stylist today for my relaxer after a 17 week stretch (will take pics soon). She told me she didn't need to trim my ends because they are so healthy. I was shocked and pleased because she always wanted to trim in the past. I think you can do it in moderation and with care and be just fine. Whatever works for you. Just make sure you baby your ends.

Samory07

I'm about 10 weeks post relaxer and before I decided to transition to natural I would wash, condition, blow dry and flat iron my hair every week. And I can't say that my split ends came from heat, I think that they just come naturally with time. Just make sure you keep your ends moist and trimmed and heat shouldn't really be a problem...But it also depends on how your hair reacts to heat....Now that I'm transitioning I enjoy wearing perm rod sets and braid outs not necessarily because of me not using much heat but I love how the curls look. HTH :)

Nya33

I love the way my hair comes out after a good blow dry and flat iron but if i do it more than once a week my hair will shout at me, breakage, hard and the ends start to look a bit raggedy.

I agree if your hair can handle it then its fine but low/no heat is fab for your hairs overall strength and health.

My hair has been at its healthiest when i stay away from heat and let it air dry. When i'm doing a length check and straighten it, it looks nice then i need to stay away from the heat for a few months.

Indirect heat for me is cool though, so i still do my deep conditions with heat.

vkb247

I prefer my hair curly and I fear that heat will destroy my curl pattern, even if it is on one strand I don't want that.

I also want to grow my hair very long and I fear the accumulated damage as my hair gets older. Heat is just additional stress on the hair that makes it more likely to become damaged.

If I was natural I might use more heat. But relaxing is my poison of choice.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Okay, so I found a regimen that is really working for me. For the last several weeks, I've been washing, DCing and doing a light protein every to every other week. I also bought a banging flat iron (Paul Mitchell Express Pro) that leaves my cuticles flat, so my hair is shiny and bouncy. Plus, I'm hardly experiencing any breakage. In fact, my hair looks and feels that healthiest it's been since I've started doing it myself.

BUT...I keep hearing from many members in the group about heat has been so bad for their hair, which makes me a little nervous.

What are your reasons for avoiding heat? (BTW, I protect my hair with Ted Gibson's Hair Sheets before I flat iron).
That's great that you found a regimen but everyone's hair can't take that much heat. Everyone's hair is different.....one person could flat iron daily and still have healthy hair and get growth while another could use it once a month have a total setback. It's not so much that people are scared of the heat, just the damage they may get. You may find out that somewhere down the line you see damage or splits too and you may not.....some people just know what will happen so they choose to avoid it.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
The hair grows regardless, but I have to say the difference in retention. I don't have a lot of breakage on styling day, and I am very careful with my manipulation through out the week. I don't flat iron again, I use a light oil, finger comb or gently comb with a seamless comb as a roll it once a day. A comb never completely goes through my hair from root to tip again until wash day. I'll post pictures next week. I'd like to keep a record, and I have a feeling that you ladies will keep me honest. :drunk:
So you have retained a good amount of length with this regimen?

SuchMagnificent

Taking a Break from Posting
I flat iron every week and a half..(approximately 9 days). But I also have incorporated P.S. into my regimen as well. My problem before I joined was that I wasnt deep conditioning at all or using a heat protectant and flat ironing 2 to 3 times per week. Now I only use heat on wash day. On week one I wash and style on Thursday then again on the Saturday of the next week. I dust, trim, whatever I need to do but I havent mastered the wash and go's or braidouts yet. I think my hair is in good shape and is growing...