Naturals: curl clumping/ puffy ends

alanaj

For some reason my ends refuse to clump and have definition. My roots are so well defined and curl beautifully but then we reach the ends and its just a cloud. How do you get your curls to clump/ get definition at the ends?
I've tried Teri's way for clumping hair and gels and no dice. I've also cut some of the ends thinking that I might have scab hair at the ends but they still refuse to stay together!:wallbash: I have mostly 4a hair.
Any suggestions?

autumnbeauty29

I have a large section of my hair that is like that. I have heard the term "snapp hair" used (straight napps). Just like yours it has some curl definition at the root but as it works towards the ends it is straight, mine also will not hold a twist at night when doing a twist-out for the morning. I have no answer, so I'll bump, because I'm in the same boat.:ohwell:

What is scab hair?

alanaj

So far I have been keeping my hair twisted or braided for 4 or 5 days. Then I DC and wash with GVP's knock off of Nexxus Moisturizing shampoo or co wash. I detangle with lots of conditioner and then put a cream leave in in it and oil to seal. When its braided I spray my hair at least twice a day with a liquid leave in and use a mixture of alive, avocado and grapeseed oil. My hair has been feeling much more moisturized and I try to keep my ends moisturized when they are out but still i get the fuzzy ends and well defined roots

alanaj

Scab hair is the hair that grows out right after you've stopped the relaxer. It shows the residual effects of the chemicals so even though its not processed hair it isn't showing your true texture. For me, while transitioning, I had a about half an inch of scab hair that was dry, frizzy and completely different from both the relaxed textures and natural textures on my head.

Jenn22588

I've tried Teri's method and it doesn't work for me either. The denman does help alot but sometimes I don't get full definition after having it in a style until the 2nd or 3rd wash n go. For me the more I touch my hair the less definition. Also I had the best clumping ever when I cowashed after having my hair straight for a week. I know straightening is not a solution just putting it out there.

Nonie

Do you dust or trim regularly? Not sure if this would help but if my ends act weird, I always suspect that a little tidying up might be necessary. I wear twists almost all the time and if the ends look scraggly, I'll snip them off and it seems to make them look better.

This may be a dumb question but why do you want clumping at the ends? Isn't that what leads to knotting? I am always trying to separate my strands and keep them from clumping when I finger comb. And actually, until maybe last year, I had no idea that when people talked about wanting "definition" they also meant clumping. :look: It's funny how some of the things folks wish for are some of the things I work on preventing. :giggle:

alanaj

Well my hair will have curls at the roots but at the ends it turns into a bunch of seperate strands and just a cloud of hair. I want my curls to show not some crazy halo of strands!
Anyways I tried "The Cherry Lola Treatment" (well my own version of it) and I got some definition! Here's the link http://www.cherrylola.com/?p=442
I used conditioner, amino acids, a tiny bit of baking soda and blackstrap molasses. I kept it on for maybe 15 mins with no heat and the back of my hair turned from afro with no definition into coilies! the front didnt get as defined but once i put some gel in it it turned into waves and curls where none were before. I suggest this to all of you who are trying to get definition! plus the amino acids are so very cheap and available in the grocery store

alanaj

I tried this again with a tbsp of sour cream added to the mix. Talk about curls! The parts of my hair that I thought were just maybe growing in straight, curled right up. Someone commented on the Cherry Lola site saying that amino acids are very important to curls and keeping their form. I must agree cus this concoction worked great.
I'm gonna give it a rest now and see how long the curls last.

Here's a pic after my 1st treatment

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
My hair does the exact opposite. When I'm detangling with my denman my ends clump and the roots stay puffy.

PrincessKia

This is so interesting. I've noticed for years when wearing my wash n' goes that I have the same problem but at opposite ends. When my hair was shorter it was fine. I'm talking it was a little longer than shoulder length or collar boned length. But then once it started getting longer I noticed that my roots are always puffy and my ends are curly. (Which is probably why I'm always straightening my hair because it just doesn't look the same now)

infojunkie

Well my hair will have curls at the roots but at the ends it turns into a bunch of seperate strands and just a cloud of hair. I want my curls to show not some crazy halo of strands!
Anyways I tried "The Cherry Lola Treatment" (well my own version of it) and I got some definition! Here's the link http://www.cherrylola.com/?p=442
I used conditioner, amino acids, a tiny bit of baking soda and blackstrap molasses. I kept it on for maybe 15 mins with no heat and the back of my hair turned from afro with no definition into coilies! the front didnt get as defined but once i put some gel in it it turned into waves and curls where none were before. I suggest this to all of you who are trying to get definition! plus the amino acids are so very cheap and available in the grocery store

Thanks for the heads up, I'm definitely going to try this.

SEMO

If a Denman brush can't help clump your curls root to tip then you probably have dry ends like some ladies said, or maybe scab hair like you were thinking. Or maybe you are simply manipulating the ends of your hair too much while they are drying. That will frizz them right up (including allowing your ends to rub up against your clothing).

alanaj

If a Denman brush can't help clump your curls root to tip then you probably have dry ends like some ladies said, or maybe scab hair like you were thinking. Or maybe you are simply manipulating the ends of your hair too much while they are drying. That will frizz them right up (including allowing your ends to rub up against your clothing).

I;m pretty sure that my ends arent dry as my hair feels very soft. It's just that in certain parts the ends are a completely different texture than thte rest of the hair. It;s wiry dry and frizzy, in those cases I'm pretty sure that it's scab hair. Then again since I'm newly natural I just am in awe of it when it's wet and can't keep my hands out of it. I know that makes it frizzy but it doesnt feel dry at that point just fuzzy.

Rain20

I tried this with sour cream(yogourt is too runny for me) and it seemed to make my hair dry. Maybe I will use less aminos and less baking soda next time.

alanaj

Yea I would say no more than a teaspoon of baking soda for about 1.5 or 2 cups of product. I was always a lil bit weary of the baking soda so I put less than I think the original recipe called for and I think it works about better that way. Especially if you're leaving it in for a while

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Instead of using yogurt you can also use conditioner. Check out you tube for some videos. I am so psyched with my natural education!:woot: