Ayurveda users which do you prefere Tea or Paste and why?

caramelma

Hi ladies. I would like to know which ayurveda application do you prefere using tea or paste? and which one do you feel benefits the hair most? I currently use my powders mixed with conditioner and I'm not sure if I'm getting all of the benefits that others are getting from using the tea or paste. I tried the paste but it caused to much breakage for me:ohwell:

AtlantaJJ

I'm not too crazy about the pastes either. I do a henna gloss with oil and conditoner, and I don't get breakage. I don't think I would ever use straight paste. I infuse powders in oil sometimes and use the oils on my hair and scalp. My fine hair does not like the grit...

rben

I started out using the pastes which are ok but I find the teas more moisturising so I tend to do more of them. I do pastes for a proper henna application but definitely teas for my normal washes 2 or 3 times a week.

that_1_grrrl

It depends on my mood. Right now, I like pastes more because I can just take the powders and mix whatever I like in there without having to take the time to make a tea. In fact, a bunch of goodies to them, and use them as DC.

Missi

I love the tea...i feel like the heat from the tea stimulates my scalp...which is the affect that i really want

Urban

I use teas when I'm in braids, it's just easier that way. Pastes when I'm not, because it's a more concentrated mixture, I just feel like I get more out of the powders.

Desert Skye

Thank you for asking this. I am brand new to ayurveda and did my first paste with Brami powder today. I did not know what in sam hill I was doing, but I will tell you I did make a mess:nono:. I am under the dryer right now so I dunno the results, but I may try to make the teas next time because I got this stuff all over me and the floor.

Prose Princess

Paste because it works better for me. The tea is nice because it's easier to rinse out, but the fact is, it just doesn't get my hair as soft as the paste.

Aggie

I like teas more. I add oils to my mixes, strain and use as a tea rinse.I don't particularly care for the grit in my hair either except when I'm henna'ing my hair or doing an ayurveda cowash loaded with mostly Tresemme remoisturizing Conditioner:yep:. The teas rinse out a lot easier IMO.

mscocoface

Teas, with hair as thick as mine I am usually pulling out twigs for days afterwards. With the tea I can use it for multiple reasons and not worry about the byproduct.

Also I can add different products to the teas such as conditioners, oils, etc.

Teas are the best.

Last edited:

hurricane

The tea was too drying for my hair. I use the paste now. Sometimes I just mix the powder straight into the condish. and sometimes I make a paste then mix it with the condish.

flowinlocks

Depends on where I am in my relaxer stretch, if it's the first 4 weeks after my touch up. I'll do paste mixed with cond. From 4 to 10 weeks it's less & less pastes & more teas. The pastes are more potent & leave my hair softer, but the teas rinse easier with the heavy NG. Also the herbs that release mucilage like Fenugreek are best when used as a tea.

ETA: Updated reggie.

Last edited:

Stepiphanie

I have only done the pastes. I feel it's more concentrated and I haven't had any mishaps, I usually add oil and a bit of con to ease the application. My hair always comes out soft.I will try the teas soon

AngelDoll

I prefer strained tea rinses, because the grit from the powders take forever to rinse out of my hair. I have experienced really good results doing it this way.

qdeez21

I prefer the pastes, it seems to penetrate my hair better and is easier to prepare and I never have a problem getting the grit out (lots of conditioner). I'll tell you what I do have a hard time getting out....the oil:( from pre pooing.

Overall I think it depends on your hair texture

Eisani

I prefer teas, but my boo told me how his sisters back home do it so I'm gonna try it and see if it's easier to rinse the pastes this way. IDK...I need to ask him again for some specifics, or talk to one of his sisters-yea, that would be better so I can get it from a female perspective lol.

Desert Skye

Whoa, ok so the results of my using the paste for the first time was really dense and thick looking hair. I used just Brahmi powder and water ( I think I will mix with oil next time). My hair looks also a bit darker. I am loving this.

missnk

Ive always traditionally done it as a paste just from watching others - I guess I'll try doing a tea this weekend and seeing what happens!

Faith

Teas are easier to rinse out but the problem is keeping them in your hair for 1 hour. Are all you tea people managing to keep it in for a while or is it a quick 5 minute thing? I do paste because I figure you get more out of it by keeping it in for about 1 hour as they recommend.

that_1_grrrl

Teas are easier to rinse out but the problem is keeping them in your hair for 1 hour. Are all you tea people managing to keep it in for a while or is it a quick 5 minute thing? I do paste because I figure you get more out of it by keeping it in for about 1 hour as they recommend.

When I did tea rinses, I would pour the rinse on my head (I was bent over a bathtub) and then put a shower cap on. :perplexed Okay, writing it out made it seem really ridiculous.

Miss Monae

I have a question, I am considering doing this for the first time, and I wonder if i could do the tea method, and mix in a pack of gelatin to make it stay in my hair longer. What do you guys think?

JustKiya

I prefer to use them mixed with my DC conditioner, full stop. If I have to, I'll use a tea. The only mud going in my hair is my triple sifted henna. :lol:

hurricane

I have a question, I am considering doing this for the first time, and I wonder if i could do the tea method, and mix in a pack of gelatin to make it stay in my hair longer. What do you guys think?

I would just use the tea. The more potent the better.

MizzCoco

I tried the paste and i HATED it! Took forever to wash out, and even with my most moisturizing DC, i still had a lot of dryness and breakage. Maybe i did something wrong??

Cassandra1975

I prefer the pastes, it seems to penetrate my hair better and is easier to prepare and I never have a problem getting the grit out (lots of conditioner). I'll tell you what I do have a hard time getting out....the oil:( from pre pooing.

Overall I think it depends on your hair texture
I have used the paste twice so far and have not had any problems rinsing it out. I don't have a ton of hair though, so that may be why. :grin: I just make sure to whisk the powders really, really well before adding the water. Then I whisk again while pouring in the water. It comes out smooth and I just apply to my hair with a hair color application brush.

I have been leaving it on for 30 mins, but I guess I need to leave it on for an hour. I love the results. I have been following with my sitrinillah DC and my hair glossy and dark.