Scary MSM side effects

HollyGolightly

Have any of y'all experienced any weird MSM side effects with your period? I just figured out that whenever I take it, it makes my period come earlier and last longer, sometimes as long as two weeks! I realized this when I took MSM last night for the first time in a few weeks, and my period started a few hours later. My period had just stopped two days before! I realized that my period started being off after I started taking MSM a few months ago. I'm not tripping, am I? Have any of y'all experienced side effects like that?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
MAHOGNEY329 said:
This might be a dumb question; but what is MSM?

[/ QUOTE ]

msm = methylsulfonlmethane

It's a natural form of sulfur that is used to promote joint health.

Here is a link where you can find out about MSM

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
Keisha_gurl said:
Have any of y'all experienced any weird MSM side effects with your period? I just figured out that whenever I take it, it makes my period come earlier and last longer, sometimes as long as two weeks! I realized this when I took MSM last night for the first time in a few weeks, and my period started a few hours later. My period had just stopped two days before! I realized that my period started being off after I started taking MSM a few months ago. I'm not tripping, am I? Have any of y'all experienced side effects like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

How much msm are you taking? This is def a side effect. I think if you lower the dose this may help.

I had the same thing happen to me when I was taking 4000mgs but it stopped when I decreased it to 1000mgs,

HollyGolightly

Oh goodness, I just looked at my bottle. All along I thought it was 1,000 mcg, but its really 1,000 mg (aka 1 gram!)

elite_chiq

Well according to a this doctor on some website (i forgot the linki) he said that the INPURE msm will give problems with periods. The pure won't HTH

happylocks

I did not know that for sharing everyone. I take MSM VS on and off. I dont know if there was any side effects. I had some problems with Cysine,

A_Christian

Woah! I recently stopped using MSM for the same reason!
I was deeply saddened to throw it away but I know that's what was causing my cycle to start earlier. The same thing happened when I was using Ultra nourishair.Other possible causes were ruled out in both instances. I guess too much biotin and too much msm throw my body chemistry off. From now on I'm sticking to just taking a multi-vitamin. My hair grew a lot when I was just taking a multi-vitamin when I was younger, so I'm not worried about it too much.

Tene

[ QUOTE ]
Redpoetess1 said:
Actually the only thing I've gotten from MSM is wavy new growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here

OnceUponAtime

MSM is sulfur, which is second only to water in your body chemistry. MSM supplements are only questionable if you do not use a reputable brand with Lingnisul, OptiMSM and TriMedica are some good examples.

What distinguishes a good brand from a poor brand is it's source. Poor quality brands have sulfur that is processed in countries with substandard water quality. Water is used in the crystallization of sulfur. You probably have heard the saying, don't drink the water, by travelers. That's because some countries do not filter impurities to the standards we're accustomed, and the result is bacteria left in the sulfur that makes us ill.

MSM is water soluble, and any excess your body does not use will be flushed from your body. It is safe, but you must drink water with each dosage and the higher the dosage, the more water you must consume, otherwise, your body will detoxify and you may have cold/flu like symptoms.

Sulfur is good for your entire body. It helps to fight the effects of aging.

Here is a good thread started by Poohbear, where I list other thread links to review and give a breakdown of how sulfur is used in the body.
A secret to hair growth...

OnceUponAtime

I should clarify.

The CVS brand may be okay, but look at the back or bottom of a lable and see if there is a little sign with Opti, Lignisul or TriMedica on it. If there is, then that means CVS is buying the good sulfur for it's MSM.

I'm not saying that the MSM isn't triggering your increased menstrual flow, just that this is the first time I've heard that reaction and I wonder if there might be another explanation, like using it in combination with another supplement.

HollyGolightly

The only thing I've taken with it is Biotin. I think the problem was that I was taking an ultra high dosage. For a while, I would take it every day, and it gave me headaches and weird lower back cramps too. But on the plus side, it did make my hair grow in a lot wavier. I'm not going back to taking it tho. I'ma just throw my cheap little bottle away.

debyjay

Wow, I have been having this period for longer than I care to remember, it started a while ago and has yet to stop, I got fed up and saw a doctor last Friday who did an exam and found nothing wrong. He said there was not much left, me -- I'm thinking it's enough already.I have decided to stop taking vits at least until this period ends if it ever does. Then I'll decide. I am so fed up with the whole thing.

Scasey

Yes MSM will jack up your cycle. It had me off track a few times. Nevertheless, I never minded b/c before I knew about it I had major back issues. Now I don't, so I am going to deal with the side effects.

HollyGolightly

[ QUOTE ]
debyjay said:
Wow, I have been having this period for longer than I care to remember, it started a while ago and has yet to stop, I got fed up and saw a doctor last Friday who did an exam and found nothing wrong. He said there was not much left, me -- I'm thinking it's enough already.I have decided to stop taking vits at least until this period ends if it ever does. Then I'll decide. I am so fed up with the whole thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what my doc said when I went in a few months ago. I'm glad I figured out what was wrong on my own. I don't know if I'm gonna even bother taking a lower dose of MSM. It's not worth it.

G

I haven't noticed any side effect just yet but I will keep my eye on things. Thanks for making us aware.

I thought I was going throught the big M... every 2 weeks for 7 days, so the doc put me on the patch ...I wish i had another use for it
but it still came after 2 weeks.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I have not noticed any scary side effects and I have been taking 4000 mg (Vitamin Shoppe powder form - OptiMSM quality) per day. Prior to that, I was taking 3000-4500 mg (GNC pill) without a problem. I drink at least 70 oz of water a day. I have been taking MSM for about a month now.

ximenia

I posted in another thread that the 1000 mg dose was irritating my kidneys too much but it was only at that dose that my hair grew in soft and wavy. I eventually stopped taking it, wasn't worth it. No period problems though.

cafe au lait

I haven't noticed side effects like that. I have been taking it for about 2 months, I started with the pill 1000mg a day my period came right on time and if anything it reduced the flow of my period as I use to suffer from the heaviest flow; actually after 2 days I kept thinking my period was over as the flow was so minimal. (It didn't reduce or increase the days that I suffer from my period. it just decreased the flow. which I am glad about) I have recently switched to MSM crystals and now take 4000mg twice a day. I haven't had my period this month so I can't say if the increased dosage will have a bad side effect on my period. (I hope not)

CurlyCrly

cafe au lait said:
I haven't noticed side effects like that. I have been taking it for about 2 months, I started with the pill 1000mg a day my period came right on time and if anything it reduced the flow of my period as I use to suffer from the heaviest flow; actually after 2 days I kept thinking my period was over as the flow was so minimal. (It didn't reduce or increase the days that I suffer from my period. it just decreased the flow. which I am glad about) I have recently switched to MSM crystals and now take 4000mg twice a day. I haven't had my period this month so I can't say if the increased dosage will have a bad side effect on my period. (I hope not)

so, you are taking 8000 mg each day? I was thinking of increasing my dosage since I am not seeing any scary side effects.

edited: nevermind...I see that you answered this question in another thread. :)

Last edited:

cafe au lait

CurlyCrly said:
so, you are taking 8000 mg each day? I was thinking of increasing my dosage since I am not seeing any scary side effects.

I think that's the beauty of the crystals it sounds like a lot but it's only a heaped teaspoon=4000mg. I don't get any side effects (no headaches or breakouts or whatever) I did get a bit of headache when I tried to start with a higher dosage but as soon as I cut back I was fine and now I have gradually increased it to 8000mg a day without any problems. I read somewhere on this forum that You also have to take a high dose of Vit. C. I currently take 3500mg of chewable vit. C. I know I am suppose to take twice the amount of the MSM dosage but I can't suck on 16,000mg of vit. C. everyday?? Good luck

CurlyCrly

cafe au lait said:
I think that's the beauty of the crystals it sounds like a lot but it's only a heaped teaspoon=4000mg. I don't get any side effects (no headaches or breakouts or whatever) I did get a bit of headache when I tried to start with a higher dosage but as soon as I cut back I was fine and now I have gradually increased it to 8000mg a day without any problems. I read somewhere on this forum that You also have to take a high dose of Vit. C. I currently take 3500mg of chewable vit. C. I know I am suppose to take twice the amount of the MSM dosage but I can't suck on 16,000mg of vit. C. everyday?? Good luck

No, it doesn't really sound like a lot compared to the pills. I am taking 1/2 teaspoon at a time and it's 2000 mg. Can't taste it. I'm going to start taking a little more. I have read mixed opinions about the effect of vit. c, if any, and the amount to take when taking MSM. I am taking 2000 mg of vit. C per day, but will increase it as I increase the MSM. I may get the Vit. C in powdered or liquid form when these are gone. It's so much easier for me to take powders and liquids.