Vitamins and Supplements...Which Ones and How Much

Which Vitamins/Supplements Are You Taking?

• Biotin

Votes: 164 61.9%
  • B-Complex

Votes: 102 38.5%
  • Evening Primrose

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Flaxseed Oil

Votes: 88 33.2%
  • Garlic

Votes: 60 22.6%
  • MSM

Votes: 105 39.6%
  • Other

Votes: 132 49.8%

• Total voters

JDandBeyond

So I have been trying to add these into my regime for a minute, but there are sooo many out there and quite frankly, I don't know what they all do!

Help a sista out! What are you taking? How much? And what does it do? Also, any side effects????

TIA!

deusa80

The only supplement I've tried so far is Biotin. I take the Natures Bounty brand(1000mcg daily). I've been doing this for about 3 months now and I have noticed that my hair is longer, especially in the back. I'm going to continue taking biotin...I think it really has increased my hair growth. I haven't had any side effects, but I believe other people have(like breaking out), so I would see what other people say.

supermodelsonya

Biotin (of course) is the vitamin that I've used and got very good results...(check out the fotki) I normally use it for 4-6 weeks then lay off it a month or so. Then I come back to it.

Kimbosheart

Can I vote for none? I used to take HF37, MSM, Omega Oils and Garlic but that was way too much and they broke me out. I now drink the egg shake every morning and all the ingredients together give me those supplements and other benefits. Plus drinking the shake is so much easier than remembering to take a bunch of pills throughout the day.

deusa80

Biotin (of course) is the vitamin that I've used and got very good results...(check out the fotki) I normally use it for 4-6 weeks then lay off it a month or so. Then I come back to it.

Is there any specific reason why you lay off for a while? What dosage do you take?

tatambabyy

I was just going to post a thread about this. While using biotin, should you also take vitamin B? I am confused.

supermodelsonya

Is there any specific reason why you lay off for a while? What dosage do you take?

Well it's my personal belief that when you first use something, you get a really good growth spurt from it before it starts to slow down. So that's why I do like 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off.

I guess so my body just doesn't get too used to it and I can still get a growth spurt when I need one.

I started off taking 1000mcg to now taking 2000mcg. No breakouts or side effects so far.

supermodelsonya

I was just going to post a thread about this. While using biotin, should you also take vitamin B? I am confused.

A lot of people take a B-complex or Vitamin C to fight off the breakouts. Some believe that taking Biotin with a B-complex also helps the Biotin works better.

I don't do either of these.

Lovestyr

i personally take biotin and b complex. i defineltely would say that i noticed a difference after taking biotin for a month. i take the b complex just to try to measure them out, because i was told they work better together. i am also getting ready to buy either hf37 or hairtopia....:drunk:

omnipadme

I take 3000 mcg/day of msm and it works great. I'm not sure if it has ever worked for my hair, but it totally eliminated dry skin on my face that no moisuturizer could and my nails look fabulous:yep:

deusa80

Well it's my personal belief that when you first use something, you get a really good growth spurt from it before it starts to slow down. So that's why I do like 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off.

I guess so my body just doesn't get too used to it and I can still get a growth spurt when I need one.

I started off taking 1000mcg to now taking 2000mcg. No breakouts or side effects so far.

Oh ok..that's makes sense. I did notice the growth a lot more when I first started, it's slowed down a bit but it is still growing. I think I will give that a try since I've been taking it consistently over the past few months.

suburbanbushbabe

I use Country Life Maxi-Hair timed release tablets for hair, nails and skin. It's like a multi-vitamin but with Niacin, Folic Acit B-12 Biotin (2,000 mg) MSM (600mg), L-Cystein and Horsetail among other things. And the price is right.

Junebug D

Biotin, MSM, a multi that contains aloe vera juice, and an Omega 3-6-9 that contains evening primrose. :drunk:

Hot40

I took biotin 5k per day saw good growth. I was taking b complex and vitamin c I ran out I wanted to start again but my skin is clear now. Taking ALA now just a week will wait a few weeks on starting biotin. Would love a sub for biotin

Tamrin

unapologetic
I take GNC Hair skin and nails. It has everything in it including 3000mcg of biotin 100 mg of MSM. I take Flaxseed oil and Calcium ( good of absorption of moisture.

Aggie

I take all of them and then some, including zinc, beta carotene and biosil (30ml liquid formula). Biosil is really great. vitacost used to carry it but now I see iherb.com with it. They sell the natrol brand. I think Jarrow doesn't carry it anymore, they renamed it Jarrowsil and not with the same great results as Biosil. Biosil made my skin glow and smooth, and it made my hair and nails grow. This will remain in my vitamin stash for a very long time.

c.maree626

i just purchased biotin because i saw that ppl get good results from it.. now that im looking at the threads.. most ppl say they take 1000mcg or 2000mcg.. im looking at the bottle and it says 5000mcg. i take one a day is this too much?

Hot40

i just purchased biotin because i saw that ppl get good results from it.. now that im looking at the threads.. most ppl say they take 1000mcg or 2000mcg.. im looking at the bottle and it says 5000mcg. i take one a day is this too much?

I took 5k my hair did great I just did not like the acne

Aggie

I take 5000 mcg as well. You just have to remember to take about 50-100 grams of Vitamin B-Complex with it to combat the acne:yep:. My skin is very smooth and ance free. I only have the occasional pimple at that time of the month but it's gone soon afterwards:grin:.

I had good results with the Biotin, but I was only taking 100mg. Since so many people complained of getting acne while taking biotion, I decided to take it every 2 days instead of every day.

Kutie85

I take all of them and then some, including zinc, beta carotene and biosil (30ml liquid formula). Biosil is really great. vitacost used to carry it but now I see iherb.com with it. They sell the natrol brand. I think Jarrow doesn't carry it anymore, they renamed it Jarrowsil and not with the same great results as Biosil. Biosil made my skin glow and smooth, and it made my hair and nails grow. This will remain in my vitamin stash for a very long time.

Aggie, How long did you take biosil before you started seeing results? I've only been taking it a month but I'm not sure if that's what contributed to my growth or something else.

Aggie

Aggie, How long did you take biosil before you started seeing results? I've only been taking it a month but I'm not sure if that's what contributed to my growth or something else.

For my skin and nails, I saw results in as little as 2-3 weeks but with my hair, it took a little longer - I'd say about 3, maybe 4 months. You have to be consistent with it to see great results. I take about 15-20 drops of the Biosil a day in grapefruit juice although the bottle says to take it with tomato juice, urghh! I took it with other juices too.

Lei*Lei

I take a hair, skin and nail vitamin, Cod Liver oil pills, and garlic pills. Every now and then i take my cal/mag but it is not regularly. I only take the hair skin, nail just for my hair...the others are for overall health, but if it benefits my hair, all the better!

danigurl18

I take vitamin c, b complex, horsetail, grapeseed extract, l-cysteine, omega 3 6 9, and i just started taking garlic

SvelteVelvet

I take One-A-Day Womens Active Mind & Body, OneSourse HSN (which contains Biotin, MSM, and Silica) Vitamin C 500mg's and NAC 600mgs. Anyone still take NAC? I just started back on them this year.

~CurlyNikki~

I take 5000mcg of Biotin (5mg) and 1000mg of MSM. I haven't experienced in break-outs of negative effects...just thicker new growth, and stronger nails. I've been taking this pair (along with a multi) for almost a year now.