*2009* ~Natural Support Thread~

SignatureBeauty

Hey Ladies! I figured we need a New Natural Support Thread, I am so tired of searching different threads for help & plus we have alot of New Naturals for 2009:yep: This is an Exciting Year for all of us and I am so Excited to stick with my Natural Journey! I am Happy that we have alot of Ladies to Help us throughout our hair journey! So any Help, Product Rec's, Advice you need to know ot to just VENT! post them here!

Thanks Ladies!!

Last edited:

msa

great idea!!

what's working for everyone right now? techniques, products, styles?

ETA: I didn't answer my own question.

I'm doing bantu knot outs pretty much every day with a few wash n go's in between. Seems to be working so far. I'm trying to have stretched hair all the time so I can avoid knots. I'm thinking of adding coconut milk back as my conditioner because my hair seemed to do really well with it. I'm not sure why I stopped. Still loving castor oil. I'm also thinking of adding green tea and aloe vera juice as a moisturizing spritz but I haven't done it yet.

Last edited:

Leeda.the.Paladin

I'm trying banding today, but it's taking my hair forever to dry. I am still kind of experimenting with products but I have been using a lot lately:

Frank Juice (oyin)
Sitrillnah (spelling is all off:lachen:) DC masque (hairveda)
almond glaze (hairveda)
KCCC
Abba Nourishing Leave In

I'm trying to stay in protective styles for the most part, usually twists/twist outs.

This thread couldn't have come at a better time.
Me and my hair doesn't get along these days.
I hate the length.
I hate the 4a patch in the back of my head.
I hate the thickness.

Grrrrrrrr. Thank y'all for letting me vent.

SignatureBeauty

Right now my problem is My Twa is not liking anything but water, it does not like shea butter Unrefined,Refined, Whipped etc. It does not like Oil Sealing, My Beloved S-curl is not even working anymore, My wash n go's look terrible so I keep wearing a scarf everyday and I am sick of this scarf, BUT my hair LOVES Qhemet Biologics and she is not gonna open until February which is a couple weeks away, but then I will have to wait another 2-3 weeks to receive it, and I am not going down that Route.

I have thought about trying Oldcrayons recipe of Giovanni Direct Leave In Mixed with Curl Activator Gel. So do anybody have any BSS Products that they use?

luxe.li.

I was in bootcamp but I think I've flunked out because of what is currently working for me.

* weekends, fri,sat,sun - wash, condition, deep condition
* weekdays, I'll flat iron my hair once then I'll keep it moisturized with coconut oil or shea butter, and I'll just wrap it and scarf it and wear a beanie to school with my bangs out.

I did this once mind you (1 week, last week) and I noticed 1/4" of new growth from Sunday to Sunday (I have newly colored streaks so that's how I can tell).

I'm going to try this again and see if I can get another 1/8 to 1/4" new growth in a week by keeping my hair moisturized, wrapped, and protected with a scarf. It's toooo cold for wash and go's right now and my hair is too short for twists, bantus, braids, it just turns into a mess and breakage......so keeping it straight right now is working....

products
* devacare low poo
* devacare one conditioner
* curls coconut conditioner
* coconut milk organix
* joico daily care conditioner
* joico kpak conditioner - <3 love!
* organic coconut oil from whole foods
* organic shea butter
* organic mayonnaise
* organic acv

That's it for me I'mm use these up until their gone!

mamauv2

I'm doing crown and glory and am on my "off time" right now. I have enough hair to plait at night FINALLY. While in braids (extensions), I just wash weekly and spray Infusium and braid spray daily (I stopped using megatek because my hair's thickness is out of CONTROL:lachen:). Now that I'm rocking the TWA, I do an oil rinse with amla and maka oil before doing a tea rinse with the same powders and follow with a cowash and DC every 3-4 days. I moisturize with some AOHSR and that's it. It seems to be working alright so far.

msa

Right now my problem is My Twa is not liking anything but water, it does not like shea butter Unrefined,Refined, Whipped etc. It does not like Oil Sealing, My Beloved S-curl is not even working anymore, My wash n go's look terrible so I keep wearing a scarf everyday and I am sick of this scarf, BUT my hair LOVES Qhemet Biologics and she is not gonna open until February which is a couple weeks away, but then I will have to wait another 2-3 weeks to receive it, and I am not going down that Route.

I have thought about trying Oldcrayons recipe of Giovanni Direct Leave In Mixed with Curl Activator Gel. So do anybody have any BSS Products that they use?

Have you clarified? Too much build up may cause your hair to act funny with your usual products. If you have clarified recently, then I don't know what else could be the problem.

I don't use BSS products but I know a lot of naturals love aloe vera juice and glycerine to moisturize. Glycerine may not be good to use in the winter since it's a humectant, but Traycee (and a lot of other people) use aloe vera juice and rosewater to moisturize. If you do try it, make sure it's the dietary aloe vera that's 100% and is supposed to be refrigerated.

BrooklynSouth

Good thread. I'm searching my stash for the right deep conditioner; cholesterol works fine but my others have been tangling my hair lately. Truly amazing how each month of transition {I'll be a year end of March}
I must change products. Still trying to balance moisture and a little bit of protein to these now hated relaxed ends and my beautiful coily new growth area.

mamauv2

Oh and I agree SB, my hair seems really picky these days too and I've been doing the wraps also. My hair hates sealing, it hates gel, it hates shea butter, it doesn't like anything except conditioner (hence the statement in my siggy). I'm pressing on with the ayurvedic regimen though and I have about 1/2 inch of scab hair that has to go. I just didn't want to feel like I was losing progress but it has to go! Maybe I'll see a difference in my hair.

pmichael52172

I'm only 7 weeks post but what is working for me so far is NOT washing each week. I go to my stylist bi-weekly and she's able to get it smoother than at home. She's teaching me as I transition (products, techniques, etc.) right now and when I wash, my hair still comes out puffy and dry. I have chin length hair and it won't go into a pony tail right now.

Mom23

Great thread. Right now I wear a wash and go during the day, and then either twist or braid my hair at night. I co-wash in the morning and evening. Twisting my hair has really helped with the knots I was getting so I will stick with it until my hair is longer and I can try different protective styles. I was having an issue with dry hair, but since I started deep conditioning more often, my hair has stayed moist.

I co-wash with v05, AO Honeysuckle Rose, or Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner. I use Giovanni Direct leave in and Fantasia gel for my wash and go's.

At night when I braid or twist I use my leave-in and then use Organic coconut oil or Oyin's burnt sugar pomade.

Happy Hair growing!! :yep:

VeryBecoming

Devil's Avocado
I think I'm going to braid my hair or something for the rest of the year. I just want it to grow and I'm kind of sick of dealing with it.

Last edited:

SignatureBeauty

Have you clarified? Too much build up may cause your hair to act funny with your usual products. If you have clarified recently, then I don't know what else could be the problem.

I don't use BSS products but I know a lot of naturals love aloe vera juice and glycerine to moisturize. Glycerine may not be good to use in the winter since it's a humectant, but Traycee (and a lot of other people) use aloe vera juice and rosewater to moisturize. If you do try it, make sure it's the dietary aloe vera that's 100% and is supposed to be refrigerated.

Thanks!! I think my hair is just being picky like mamauv2, It has been clarified and I don't use to many products, I think I just better go ahead and place a stock up order from Qhem when she opens:yep: But until then I will find ways to deal with it!!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Hey, SB! I knew you were gonna post a new thread!:wave: Right now my hair growth is off the charts thanks to the raw egg cocktail. I feel like my scalp is tingling!:pepper: Right now I'm also in the product quandary. Nothing is wowing me right now, so I'm just co washing and going. I am also practicing parting my hair with my fingers, instead of a comb. I just love playing with my hair, but I have to be careful. It is so thick I can get my hand stuck in there.:lachen:

SignatureBeauty

HEY NATRLCHALLENGE!!!! I guess this must be the Season of our hair acting crazy LOL!! I knew you was gonna be coming in and posting, I hope you got your Detangling issue resolved! I am so happy things are looking up for you!! Because You know I am watching you!

You must Really Like that Raw Egg Cocktail LOL!! Everytime you post you mention it LOL!! I want to try it but I am so afraid of Salmonella Poison is there an egg substitute powder drink mix? How often do you drink it? and what you put in it?

DozenRoses99

Great thread idea!

I've found that leaving a generous amout of conditioner in my hair after co-washing has really helped to keep my hair moisturized and less frizzy until the next co-wash. Currently, I'm using L'Oreal Vive Pro Hydra Gloss or Lustrasilk Cholesterol for my leave-in. Also, detangling in the shower has helped tremendously versus detangling on slightly damp hair out of the shower.

Faith

I think I'm going to braid my hair or something for the rest of the year. I just want it to grow and I'm kind of sick of dealing with it.
ICAM, that is why I went into braids a couple days ago. It's time my hair and I took a break from one another..lol.

To answer the OP, what was working for me was Aveda IRT, Kenra MC, AO products, coconut oil, doing tea rinses and the Indian powders like amla, brahmi, etc. The last one I did after I applied it I thought I would have a problem with tangling and my hair would not like it but after I rinsed, my hair felt GREAT. I'm going to incorporate it into my braid regimen. Making it more of a rinse than a paste so the grit doesn't stay in my braids.

What I do need help with in the long run is how to get my roots to not revert after 2 days. I use SMB and it still reverts. It's a little frustrating..hmm.

Oh also a great leave in for my usually dry 4b/a hair is Lacio Lacio. My hair loved it.

Last edited:

happynatural

Conditioner washing on a weekly basis (making sure to leave some in for added softening & conditioning). Also detangling my hair only when wet made such a difference in my hair.

I decided to start some dreads yesterday so please pray that I can maintain them properly. I had been wanting some for a while but my busy schedule made me hesitant. I also had quite a few naysayers telling me they are too hard to maintain.

I have been researching the proper products and ways to maintain dreads so wish me luck.

I'll find out soon enough.

Misshairdiva

I have not had a relaxer since Dec 07. My hair was breaking and shedding and very dry until I started using Aveda Damage Remedy Intensive Restructuring Treatment.

For the first year all I did was wash n go's. Now that its winter, I get my hair rollerset by a beautician ( I can't do it myself w/out having a mini fro on top) and then she takes a blow dryer and comb to straighten off the roots.

Evolving78

shea butter doesn't do anything for my hair either. i left that alone awhile ago. i have been just twisting my hair weekly and have been doing it since Nov. i just can't wait for it to get longer. i'm tired of this phase. but i refuse to do anything dumb or drastic. sometimes i wish i had more support from my family, but it's cool. i really dig my hair being natural. i never saw anything wrong with natural hair. i just didn't like seeing it dry, damaged and unkept.

MCMLXXII

Do you pre-poo? I pre-poo'd for the first time about two weeks ago with Vatika (from the Indian grocery store). Note: I don't like coconut oil but I purchased Vatika in the summer and refused to toss it. Anyhoo, I pre-poo'd with Vatika and I was amazed! My hair felt so rich and lush! Not sure if I can attribute it all to the pre-poo because I also twisted my hair with Qhemet...but I'm leaning towards the Vatika.

Are you using a silk scarf or cotton?

Any BSS finds? Not for me, really. I still love Aussie Moist and Herbal Essence for my daily conditioners...they work well and they're cheap!

E. Princess

What's working for me right now is baking soda rinsing, diluted Tresemme's Moisture Rich conditioner, castor oil, braids and tea rinsing with peppermint tea.

I'm kinda in a hair slump. I've been in braids off and on since April 08. I've received great growth from them, but I'm just tired of seeing myself in braids. I need to do something to spice up things. I use to exclusively do twists, but then I became all about the braids. For me, I can just keep braids longer than twists and they don't frizz as quickly. Until I'm smacked with inspiration I'll continue to wear my current set of braids.

msa

What's working for me right now is baking soda rinsing, diluted Tresemme's Moisture Rich conditioner, castor oil, braids and tea rinsing with peppermint tea.

I'm kinda in a hair slump. I've been in braids off and on since April 08. I've received great growth from them, but I'm just tired of seeing myself in braids. I need to do something to spice up things. I use to exclusively do twists, but then I became all about the braids. For me, I can just keep braids longer than twists and they don't frizz as quickly. Until I'm smacked with inspiration I'll continue to wear my current set of braids.

I always lurk in your fotki because I'm trying to learn how to do cute pinups on my hair. It just never works out for me, they always look wonky. Your hair is always so beautiful. Do you have any tips?

I love baking soda rinses as well. No need for shampoo and it makes my hair easier to detangle.