Should a daily moisturizer be water-based?

soulie

I've been using Jane Carter Solution Nourish and Shine for the last couple of weeks as a daily moisturizer and I love it! Today I recommended it to someone in another thread. A member responded and said she likes it but doesn't consider it a daily moisturizer because it doesn't have water. It works great for me, but I'm just wondering, is it truly a daily moisturizer?

The well-loved ones, e.g., Elasta QP Mango Butter, Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 and NTM Silk Touch Leave-In don't work for me at all, so maybe my hair is just being "special"?

Last edited:

TheQueenBeeMaya

i'm a newbie, so i'm sure someone else could offer better advice, but i don't use a daily moisturizer that's water based because i have pressed hair and that would cause reversion

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
i just started using the JC Nourish and Shine, and my hair has never felt better! I used the Elasta Qp, water based right, my hair was dry and frizzy with in 30 mins of using it. Giving it to madukes to use on her weave. I have been using NTM silk touch and Abba nourishing daily leave in. They are ok, but still not enough, not long lasting like the nourish and shine. my hair has never felt better than with the nourish and shine. It must depend on your hairs needs. I figure I'll use the water base every few days. Its crazy how the un-water based product leaves my hair feeling great and the water base, is not even coming close.

msa

Water is the only true moisturizer. But, the JC could have conditioning and nourishing (obviously since it's called nourish and shine) properties that help to keep your hair moisturized, pliable, and feeling good. Especially if your DC leaves your hair well moisturized already.

If it's working for you, keep using it.

soulie

Water is the only true moisturizer. But, the JC could have conditioning and nourishing (obviously since it's called nourish and shine) properties that help to keep your hair moisturized, pliable, and feeling good. Especially if your DC leaves your hair well moisturized already.

If it's working for you, keep using it.

Oh I'm definitely going to keep using it! I just wondered on a philosophical level :grin:

msa

Oh I'm definitely going to keep using it! I just wondered on a philosophical level :grin:

LOL. Reading is fundamental right? On a philosophical level, I know in my case a daily moisturizer should be water based. In fact, my only moisturizer is water. I don't think something can be a moisturizer if it doesn't have at least a little bit of water in it. But, that doesn't mean it's not doing other things like conditioning/nourishing/strengthening.

soulie

LOL. Reading is fundamental right? On a philosophical level, I know in my case a daily moisturizer should be water based. In fact, my only moisturizer is water. I don't think something can be a moisturizer if it doesn't have at least a little bit of water in it. But, that doesn't mean it's not doing other things like conditioning/nourishing/strengthening.

Do you know me from another board? :lachen:

shtow

The only time I use water based moisturizers is if I am wearing my hair in braidouts, bantu knots, twist outs, or wash and goes. 99% of the time my hair is straight so I either use oil based moisturizers or just EVCO. A good DC and leave in are good enough and straight hair plus a water based moisturizer is a disaster! I find it causes more breakage from the friction and frizz.

Nayeli

Mine needs to be.

My hair loathes oil moisturisers, or anything moisturiser that does not have water as its first or second ingredient.

lennet93

OP, I had the same question after reading the other thread..lol I use Jane Carter as well. I love it but I feel like my hair needs something with some water in it. I'm going to try to nourish and shine cream since it is water based.

soulie

OP, I had the same question after reading the other thread..lol I use Jane Carter as well. I love it but I feel like my hair needs something with some water in it. I'm going to try to nourish and shine cream since it is water based.

I'm considering trying it when the weather is milder here. Let me know how it works for you, please?

soulie

What are the main ingredients in it?

From the Jane Carter website:

Nourish and Shine:

Ingredients : Shea butter, Kokum butter, Illippe butter, Mango butter, Vitamins A, D, & E, pear and grapefruit essential oils.

Hair Nourishing Cream:

Ingredients : Purified Water, Shea Butter, Kokum Butter, Illippe Butter, Mango Butter, Vtamins A, D, & E Orange, Grapefruit, Palmarosa, Cedarwood, Geranium, Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Bergamot, Rosemary Essential Oils, Jojoba, Glycerin, Polysorbate 80, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl acrylate Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sorbic Acid.

Jazala

From the Jane Carter website:

Nourish and Shine:

Ingredients : Shea butter, Kokum butter, Illippe butter, Mango butter, Vitamins A, D, & E, pear and grapefruit essential oils.

Hair Nourishing Cream:

Ingredients : Purified Water, Shea Butter, Kokum Butter, Illippe Butter, Mango Butter, Vtamins A, D, & E Orange, Grapefruit, Palmarosa, Cedarwood, Geranium, Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Bergamot, Rosemary Essential Oils, Jojoba, Glycerin, Polysorbate 80, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl acrylate Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sorbic Acid.

Thanks!!!:grin::grin:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I Prefer a Creamy Moisturizer. Not necessarily "oil" based. I find that a water-based moisturizer works exceptionally well.

The oil should be to seal or lock in the moisture.

Moisturizing and Sealing has helped my Hair tremendously. It doesn't "look" dry and it doesn't "feel" dry, it is very moisturized, shiny and healthy in appearance:grin: