How do you wash your hair with ayurvedic powders?

Neith

Do you just put some powder in your hair/scalp and rinse it out?

I would just be... afraid of doing that because henna is really hard to rinse out. I'm assuming any powder is going to be hard to rinse out.

When you make tea with it, how do you go about doing that? Does the tea actually clean your hair?

How about adding it to your shampoo? Does that work without leaving powder residue in your hair?

Sorry for asking, but I need baby steps. Most sources don't go into detail about what is actually done.

omnipadme

I agree- henna is a pain to rinse out. I mix the "dirt buster" shikakai with brahmi in a cup with a sufficient amount of conditioner & it doesn't make the hair hard. I only use a small spoonful of each. I pay the most attention to my scalp, massaging the roots, and I just run my fingers through the rest of my hair to distribute. I do this after pre-pooing with alma and nyle herbal oil, so I think that makes the rinsing process easier.

MeechUK

MeechUK
Hi Neith,
you can add it to your conditioner for CWs or make it into a tea. I wouldn't add it to your shampoo because it will strip your hair of its natural oils. The powders do not leave as much residure as Henna, but you can sieve the tea or use a coffee perculator before you use the tea. The powders have a gentle cleaning affect.

MeechUK

likewtr4chklit

Hey there, I've been doing research too, b/c I plan to start an Ayurvedic regimen in Feb. I went to HennaSooq.com and was given the impression that you can mix the powder with warm water or tea until it becomes a paste and massage it through your hair. Apparently Shikakai has a lather to it??

Urban

I've used shikakai and amla teas and have never had a problem with rinsing them out. Even when I was in braids. The shikakai actually does clean, as good as shampoo, I reckon.

I wouldn't put shikakai into your shampoo though. That would probably really dry your hair out.

shae101s

I use a mix of brahmi, amla and shikakai powders to make a tea (thanks to AngelDoll) and I like strain it before I put it in my applicator bottle using a pantyhose so all the grits are gone..then I wash my hair with it, rinse with conditioner and it all comes out and my hair is left feeling real soft!

ResultsMayVary

I just made a video on my attempt and technique washing with Amla --> here.
I will say it was hard for me to get it all out but I am sure with time it will get easier.

and i love the way my hair felt after it was all soft and manageable ...:grin:

likewtr4chklit

I use a mix of brahmi, amla and shikakai powders to make a tea (thanks to AngelDoll) and I like strain it before I put it in my applicator bottle using a pantyhose so all the grits are gone..then I wash my hair with it, rinse with conditioner and it all comes out and my hair is left feeling real soft!

I didn't think to use an applicator bottle. Do you still get a lather out of it?

shae101s

I didn't think to use an applicator bottle. Do you still get a lather out of it?

There's no lather per say,...it's more like I placed liquid shampoo on and then rub a little, let sit for like 5 or so minutes then rinse out only using a conditioner. Try the applicator bottle and see how it works for you, you may end up loving it! :)

Noir

I make a very very concentrated tea (quite thick but nit as thick as a paste) and then apply to my hair using an applicator bottle. Actually I do this with any type of hair cleanser it is so much easier :yep:

audacity.

Hey there, I've been doing research too, b/c I plan to start an Ayurvedic regimen in Feb. I went to HennaSooq.com and was given the impression that you can mix the powder with warm water or tea until it becomes a paste and massage it through your hair. Apparently Shikakai has a lather to it??

no, the shikakai does not have a lather to it.

i use my shikakai like this here and focus primarily on my scalp...basically use it the same way that i would use shampoo.

i use amla oil to lock-in/seal

that's the extent of my ayurveda for now....

hth!

camilla

1 THANK YOU DO YOU USE THE SAME AMOUNT FOR THE TEA AS YOU WOULD THE PASTE?
2 CAN YOU PUT THE TEA IN THE FRIDGE AND SAVE UNTIL NEXT WASH

SORRY TO BOMBARD YOU WITH QUESTIONS BUT I JUST DID THE AMLA SHAKIKI PASTE AND MY HAIR WAS A LITTLE DRY AFTER?? I CO WASHED IT OUT SEVERAL TIMES FOLLOWED BY A MOISTURIZING COND
I PRE POOED WITH AMLA EVOO AND ANOTHER OIL BRAHMI I THINK MAY BE I USED TO MUCH SHAKI KI AND MOT ENOUGH AMLA:perplexed

Last edited:

camilla

I make a very very concentrated tea (quite thick but nit as thick as a paste) and then apply to my hair using an applicator bottle. Actually I do this with any type of hair cleanser it is so much easier :yep:

NOIR WHAT IS YOUR RATIO??????:perplexed

Neith

Thanks guys :)

I think I will try it in tea and mixed in with conditioner to see which one I like most.

Has anyone noticed any changes in hair color/texture after using any of these powders?

I like the color of my hair now and I don't want it to darken. I heard that alma and shikakai darken hair.

likewtr4chklit

I remember reading Candy C's Ayurveda thread and she said that Amla is the moisturizer and Shikakai is the cleanser, so I think you're supposed to use more amla.

shae101s

1 THANK YOU DO YOU USE THE SAME AMOUNT FOR THE TEA AS YOU WOULD THE PASTE?
2 CAN YOU PUT THE TEA IN THE FRIDGE AND SAVE UNTIL NEXT WASH

SORRY TO BOMBARD YOU WITH QUESTIONS BUT I JUST DID THE AMLA SHAKIKI PASTE AND MY HAIR WAS A LITTLE DRY AFTER?? I CO WASHED IT OUT SEVERAL TIMES FOLLOWED BY A MOISTURIZING COND
I PRE POOED WITH AMLA EVOO AND ANOTHER OIL BRAHMI I THINK MAY BE I USED TO MUCH SHAKI KI AND MOT ENOUGH AMLA:perplexed

Not a problem here's what i used:

1 tsp brahmi
1 tsp shikakai
2 tsp amla
1 cup hot water
1 cup cold water
(the amount of the water you use depends on the size of the applicator bottle, I used a little less than a cup of each).

Oh I don't know why it became hard..I let mine sit for the 5 mins and then I rinsed out with the cheapie conditioner...Try that mix and see how it works for you. Also prior to washing...I pre-pooed over night using Amla oil...and without rinsing the oil I aplpy the tea mix to my scalp, let sit, then rinse out using the co-wash method.
Let me know how that works out for you :)

Faith

I used 1 tsp of amla, henna, brahmi and shikakai and added 2 tbsp of DPR, plus some water. Next time I will try it without the conditioner and instead of mixing the shikakai in with the rest I will just make a separate paste and apply it to my scalp rinse then apply the rest of the powders.