Relaxed ladies who stretch: Do you comb your new growth?

hillytmj

Before you relax? I normally don't do anything to my new growth but moisturize it and DC. I was told long ago not to comb new growth before a relaxer because it will cause breakage.

The only problem is that when I finally let my stylist relax it (8-9 weeks post), the new growth is so packed and tight against my scalp. I am EXTREMELY tenderheaded, so it's no fun when she has to work that relaxer through my new growth. Also, some breakage occurs during the process because the new growth is so dry. :nono: During the summer months, my stylist can hardly part her comb through the new growth.

Do you all use any products to help soften the new growth before a relaxer?

Also, how long should you wait to get a relaxer after you've washed your hair?

Butterfly08

Once a week with a wide tooth comb unless I am rollersetting - then I will use a rattail. :yep: Other than that I typically cowash every couple of days and the water and conditioner loosens up the new growth.

It probably depends upon what type of style you are going for. For straight sleek styles, you probably need to comb more. For braidouts, rollersets and other textured looks, constant combs outs are not necessary.

mistee11

Before you relax? I normally don't do anything to my new growth but moisturize it and DC. I was told long ago not to comb new growth before a relaxer because it will cause breakage.

The only problem is that when I finally let my stylist relax it (8-9 weeks post), the new growth is so packed and tight against my scalp. I am EXTREMELY tenderheaded, so it's no fun when she has to work that relaxer through my new growth. Also, some breakage occurs during the process because the new growth is so dry. :nono: During the summer months, my stylist can hardly part her comb through the new growth.

Do you all use any products to help soften the new growth before a relaxer?

Also, how long should you wait to get a relaxer after you've washed your hair?

I moisturize my new growth with Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Mask (co-wash) or use my Mega Tek. Then I'll get some shea butter and work that in my palms and through my fingers and massage it in to the roots. I'm then able to gently pick the new growth with an afro comb. This helps detangle. For the most part when I'm pressed for time I'll grab my bottle of Wet and Wavy Tangle Free or Pantene Detangling Spray. Try to look for products that contain glycerin and some other detangling conditioning agents to soften your new growth.

Mars_Reiko

I don't comb my new growth. I wouldn't have any hair if I did :lachen:. Like Butterfly08 said, the water and conditioner loosen up my kinks.

newflowers

I'm on week nine of my stretch and won't relax until the first week of February. I comb with a wide-tooth comb every time I wash and condition or cowash. I apply Phyto 7 and camellia oil. My hair stays strong and moist and breakage isnot a problem. I do a protein condition at weeks one, six, and eleven (the week before relaxing).

I tried the low manipulation for a week - my hair was so tangled and matted - never again. My mason pearsons and my deman are best friends.

RosesBlack

The only way I can stretch relaxers is to keep my NG detangled otherwise it's prone to matting and I hate tearing out s much hair when it is time to relax. It's far easier for me to do a good job of relaxing my hair if I've kept it detangled.

I don't detangle dry though. I make sure I put something moisturizer or coconut oil on the entire length of my hair before detangling. I also use a fairly large wide toothed comb after finger combing, then a slightly smaller comb.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Oh no...I never even try to. I use shea butter and S-Curl to soften withor without the Scarf method. When I use that most people can't tell I need a retouch.

LovinLea

i don't comb it. it's too hard.

before my touch-up, i base my scalp with vaseline so i have to part through the NG and separate it, so that i can get to my scalp. it's not so packed together anymore.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Yes I comb my NG while rinsing out my DC, that's why it's very important to DC with very moisturizing conditioners with major slip that help soften and loosen up that curl pattern. I poo and DC like 4 days b4 relaxer, I just follow my normal hair schedule, but will not shapoo it b4 4 days.

MoniintheMiddle

I agree with mistee. I went 27 weeks during my last stretch and it was not too diifficult when I finally got a touch up because I keep the newgrowth well moisturized. My NG needs more moisture than my relaxed hair and keepping the NG moisturized helps maintain both textures.

Musicachic

I just stretched to 8 weeks, which I know doesn't seem like much, but I used to go every 4 weeks due to the thickness of my new growth. The last week or so I really couldn't come through the NG unless I was in the shower after just rinsing out conditioner. Other than that it was too thick. But stretch till you feel comfortable. Don't stretch till the year 2020 if you don't like how your hair feels or looks while stretching. There is a lot of different techniques you can learn and such to make it easier to some degree. But do you! Haha... I think 8 weeks was a big accomplishment for me. I just got it relaxed today. One good thing about stretching is after the relaxer the new length of your hair can be more dramatic as opposed to getting more relaxers and it growing little by little. My cat even looked at me a little funny... Like she was confused.

:band:

TexturedTresses

When I rollerset, I use a denman brush which smoothes it out and detangles really well. I don't comb through my new growth after that until wash day. Although i could because the denman smooths out the curls and makes them into waves.

eta: also, putting your moisturizer directly on the new growth helps A LOT.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Only on wash day with conditioner in it. DC's 3x/wk, co washing 1x/wk, and moisturizing 2x daily keeps it manageable. I also grease my hair. I was 17.5 weeks post and it was difficult to part when self relaxing but I only finger parted. I did not use a comb.

Lady Esquire

Like you, hilly, I don't do much to my new growth, unless its wet (DC, detangling under showerhead). My new growth will snap, crackle and pop....so I have learned the hard way. If your NG is packed and tight against your scalp, you may want to rollerset, flat iron, or lightly blow dry on cool, a few days prior to getting it professionally relaxed..........to aid the stylist and to prevent him or her from pulling on all of your NG.

I think 72 hours is a safe time to wait from your last wash.

The wash before and the wash after my relaxer, I like to do an intense protein such as Nexxus Emergencee, or Aphogee Intensive Treatment for Damaged hair (depends on how much protein I need). If my ng is extremely tight, I used to follow the protein treatment with an intense DC with olive oil, coconut oil, coconut milk, honey and conditioner. I'd heat it up and apply it to my hair, and sit for 30 mins under heat. The ng used to melt with that concoction. :yep:

DanaDane

Yes. I also use a denman like someone upthread--if anything, as more new growth comes in, it's my relaxed hair that gets more tangled and difficult. My new growth is shiny, moist--needs very little product intervention compared to the old relaxed hair.

HeyItsHoney

Only in the shower with a wide tooth comb. I always feel like I need to comb it, but I just leave it alone. I've found out the hard way that combing=breakage.

I'm 8 weeks post right now and this is always the time when it really starts getting out of control. I put pure shea butter on it and massage it through. My new growth just laughs at coconut oil. I have noticed the ponytail rollerset method can stretch the new growth just enough to comb it that day (sometimes).

I start wearing more hair accessories and updos and I use a soft bristle brush to smooth the outside.

pmichael52172

Ladies, where can I get a denman brush?

I saw them at Sally's while looking for something else, but I didn't know which was best for me so I figured I'd come back later. I will too, because they are cheap.

Other posts have said CVS, Target, and Walmart. I just know Sally's for sure.

sunnieb

I NEVER comb dry newgrowth. Only when it is loaded with conditioner (rinsing/detangling in the shower) or damp and full of leave-ins when I'm preparing to airdry.

The night before my relaxer touchup, I do a protein deep conditioner (no shampoo) and this helps to loosen up my newgrowth so my stylist can work through it easier.

taz007

My so-called "stretch" is only 10 weeks long. I NEVER comb dry new growth :nono:. In fact, I pretty much stop combing my hair after week 8.

If I do comb my hair is is only after shampooing and DCing and full of some type of leave in conditioner.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I NEVER comb dry newgrowth. Only when it is loaded with conditioner (rinsing/detangling in the shower) or damp and full of leave-ins when I'm preparing to airdry.

The night before my relaxer touchup, I do a protein deep conditioner (no shampoo) and this helps to loosen up my newgrowth so my stylist can work through it easier.

My so-called "stretch" is only 10 weeks long. I NEVER comb dry new growth :nono:. In fact, I pretty much stop combing my hair after week 8.

If I do comb my hair is is only after shampooing and DCing and full of some type of leave in conditioner.

Ditto what they said. 7 months into this stretch i have learned to comb my hair with a wide tooth comb only when

A. loaded with conditioner in the shower

B. Saturated with watery leave-ins like S-curl

Never ever ever comb through NG dry. It's way too stressful on the hair, especially the relaxed ends.

Earlier in the stretch I was using a Deman type brush to detangle in the shower, not anymore. I think that with alot of NG and relaxed ends, it does more harm than good. I just take my time with the wide-toothed comb :yep:

Last edited:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
At first I never combed my NG during long stretches because I was a lo mani mama but then I realised that I would lose a lot of hair on retouch day and it was just too much too handle. Now I detangle everything from root to tip with a detangler and moisturising products. Good to go.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I comb my new growth.
During the stretch, when I'm about 10 weeks post, I comb my new growth about twice a week (not counting wash day) with Care Free Curl and some kind of oil for lubrication.

The day of the relaxer, I also comb my new growth. I apply a little coconut oil, and slowly comb through it with a wide tooth comb. It can be tricky doing this, because too much oil keeps my hair from processing all the way, and I have to be careful not to scratch my scalp with the comb. But I do find that combing the day of makes for a better relaxing session, because my new growth is very kinky and shrinks up alot. Combing it first makes it easier for my stylist to get through, which subsequently makes it more comfortable for me.

I also never comb through dry, naked new growth though. It's a recipe for breakage.

sunnieb

Bump....

Great info, plus this thread received a ton of views, so I know ya'll interested...