Slowly but surely...nape progress pics

locabouthair

January 2008, I went to a stylist and I dont think she washed out the relaxer properly. As you can see thats not regular breakage.

December 2008 I need to trim it a little.

What I did: From the time that area broke off to now I did not perm it. I wore it natural, so I didnt perm it for 11 months. Stylist would complain but I didnt care.

I made sure I moisturized and sealed it at least once a day. I tried doing massages once in a while but I got lazy with it.

And thats it. I know it's not spectacular. I dont get 6 inches a year more like 3 and I have to trim the rest of my hair to even with the nape but I'm happy. I've been dealing with broken spots for a while now and to see some progress makes me feel good.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Great progress, loca!!!

Your hair looks so healthy and full! From the way you be talkin about your hair, I was expecting it to be all dry and crispy :lachen:

Dposh167

:dance7: great job loca!...i know ur glad to see some progress in that area!...good idea for not perming it for months.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Ima have to start doing that too (not relaxing the nape), cuz I shaved mine in August like a dodo:perplexed, and I have a 1/2 inch back there!:sad:

Lady Esquire

Loca! That is a new, thicker, healthier head of hair! You are doing so great with it. I know how frustrating that nape area can be, but it seems like you're on top of it.

Lady Esquire

Its night and day Loca, really great progress. I might actually try that myself.

First Sylver, now Loca. I am inspired to stretch...really stretch. I may relax right before the new year this month, and then try an ultra stretch. I need to give my hairline some room to breathe and heal.

And if I cannot manage the entire head, maybe just not relax the front.

Thanks Loca.

Last edited:

gymfreak336

First Sylver, now Loca. I am inspired to stretch...really stretch. I may relax right before the new year this month, and then try an ultra stretch. I need to give my need to give my hairline some room to breathe and heal.

And if I cannot manage the entire head, maybe just not relax the front.

Thanks Loca.

How long would an ultra stretch be for you?

hondahoney007

Congrats on your progress!!! I had the exact same problem Sept 2007. I was going crazy. It took me a while but I have recovered(set back pics in 2007 fotki). I make sure that my hair is rinsed an extra time when I get my touch ups.

SelfStyled

Great progress, loca!!!

Your hair looks so healthy and full! From the way you be talkin about your hair, I was expecting it to be all dry and crispy :lachen:

What are we gonna do w/ you?:lachen:

Get it Loca- that nape is looking great. Your hair is looking very nice.

HHG

hopeful

:congrats: You did it! I am so happy for you, I know that your nape was giving you trouble. My nape area is so delicate, it is hard to remember that I must treat it separately and so delicately. I sometimes forget because the rest of my hair can handle heat and a little rough handling, but not my nape:nono:. My nape grows slowly too so I know how you feel, I get like 1/4 -1/3 an each there per month. Keep up the good work girl. Your nape looks really nice and healthy:yep:!

Lady Esquire

Great progress, loca!!!

For real...! Loca just had us imagining a brillo head, and here homegirl is working with healthy and full hair. :lol:

How long would an ultra stretch be for you?

a year sounds good. or close to that. indefinitely (w/o causing breakage).

gymfreak336

For real...! Loca just had us imagining a brillo head, and here homegirl is working with healthy and full hair. :lol:

a year sounds good. or close to that. indefinitely (w/o causing breakage).

:eek: A year! You are a brave woman :lol: but you have done 6 months so I know you can do it. Keep me posted. If this 6 month stretch goes okay for me, I might consider going alot longer.

Lady Esquire

:eek: A year! You are a brave woman :lol: but you have done 6 months so I know you can do it. Keep me posted. If this 6 month stretch goes okay for me, I might consider going alot longer.

I have no idea if I can go that long. But my hairline is jacked, so I need to try something different.

Girl, you can do it. And if you struggle, just keep adding weeks to each stretch until you figure out the best way and the best combination of prods. Keep us posted.

gymfreak336

I have no idea if I can go that long. But my hairline is jacked, so I need to try something different.

Girl, you can do it. And if you struggle, just keep adding weeks to each stretch until you figure out the best way and the best combination of prods. Keep us posted.

How are the hairlines of your parents? If I think of anything else you can try or someone you can talk too, I will let you know.

I think I can do it. I have an idea of how I am going to deal so I will just go from there. When it gets tough, you know I will be here talking about it.

locabouthair

Thanks so much ladies!!

I couldnt have done it without your help.

Tiffers and Lady Esquire it does get really dry sometimes especially when I need a relaxer for some reason. Thanks for the compliments!

Ladies with nape problems, try not relaxing it for a couple of months, it definitely helps:yep:

I read the old thread where others have problems with their nape and they said that they relaxed it every other touchup but I wanted to give that area a break for a while.

I think it was easy for me to do it because the nape broke off to the ng, so I didnt have to worry about the demarcation line because it was natural.

Lady Esquire

How are the hairlines of your parents? If I think of anything else you can try or someone you can talk too, I will let you know.

I think I can do it. I have an idea of how I am going to deal so I will just go from there. When it gets tough, you know I will be here talking about it.

My biological dad has a George Jefferson thing going on.

Mom has been addicted to weaves since the 80s, but her sisters and my sisters all have thick and healthy hairlines.

I am going to buy the saw palmetto. I have been hesistant but now I need to get aggressive. I remember what you said about your dad using it.

gymfreak336

My biological dad has a George Jefferson thing going on.

Mom has been addicted to weaves since the 80s, but her sisters and my sisters all have thick and healthy hairlines.

I am going to buy the saw palmetto. I have been hesistant but now I need to get aggressive. I remember what you said about your dad using it.

Yeah, my dad has been using it for years and he still has a good amount of hair on his head. Have you tried going to a hair transplant place. Not for a transplant but they can give you an idea of what type of hair loss you really have going on in a consultation. The ones I have been too have given me very interesting tidbits of info.