HELP! COLOR AND RELAXER TOO CLOSE TOGETHER!!

Wolftrap

This post is actually for my mom. She put color in her hair and got a relaxer fairly close together. Now here hair is shedding and her ends are really rough. What can she do for this? Are there any treatments or anything she can do to get her hair back in shape? She has hair type 2. Don't even ask me why in the first place she decided to relax her hair she said it was too curly with the humidity but she did relax it and now its a mess. Help!

G

[ QUOTE ]
Wolftrap said:
This post is actually for my mom. She put color in her hair and got a relaxer fairly close together. Now here hair is shedding and her ends are really rough. What can she do for this? Are there any treatments or anything she can do to get her hair back in shape? She has hair type 2. Don't even ask me why in the first place she decided to relax her hair she said it was too curly with the humidity but she did relax it and now its a mess. Help!

[/ QUOTE ]

First...it was an extremely bad idea to get two chemical services so close together. Tell dear sweet mom that it is a NO NO.

Well try the Motions CPR treatment. This should be done weekly along with bi weekly hot oil treatments. She should not do any type of thermal services (curling irons) until her hair is fully repaired.

Roller sets and Bantu Knot Sets should be the way to go until her hair is repairs. Try ordering some Salerm 21 leave in conditioner too. The Neutrogena Triple Moisture treatment should be good for daily use long with the serum. After putting the treament on, rolling it up in Bantu knots, place a plastic bag over it for a couple of hours.

Remove the bag, top with silk scarf until the morning. She will have nice fluffy curls thereafter.

The NTM leave in should be done daily. Shampoo with a moisturing shampoo weekly. I love Pantene for relaxed hair.

Just no more heat.

Drink a LOT of water.

Wolftrap

Thanks for the suggestion. My mom is simple and there is no way in the world she is gonna do daily washes. She is looking for a weekly treatment for her hair. She doesn't use heat so that is not an issue. Do you think Aphogee or Pentrait used weekly may help?

webby

Think Slim
To add to what Reginia said, damaged hair is not going to become undamaged, but with proper, gentle care she can make sure that the new growth is healthy.

In addition to the conditions that Reginia recommended, I'd like to add that your mother should try to get Dominican deep conditioners. Your from NY, if from the city, you should be able to get dominican products just about anywhere. I recommend that she also try Nexxus Humectress, which will help to retain moisture. Also, stay away from products with alcohol, as they are very drying.

Lastly, since the hair is probably severly damaged, regular trims will help to keep the hair looking healthy while chipping of the damaged hair.

HTH

Wolftrap

She goes to the Dominican salon weekly. And no they didn't put that in her hair she decided to play home beautician on her own. I know she is going to have to start clipping her ends cause I looked that them today and they look very frizzy. She just made me mad as to why she would do something like this.
The woman never relaxes her hair but just decides one day this is what she wants to do. She always tells me when I have my hair a certain way "oh I want my hair to be like that". I keep trying to tell her that we do not have the same hair type so it won't look like mine but so I guess to get it to look like mine she decides to perm it herself.

webby

Think Slim
Wolftrap, your mother sounds just like mine. My mother has very fine hair, soft hair, but it looks hard and kinky. She wants to have her hair look like mine, but her hair doesn't respond to relaxers well, even mild ones.

She's trying to grow her hair back out now from a relaxer that she had, but all of the things that recommended to you are working for my mother. It's almost like the child is raising the parent

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
She needs strength and moisture. Try a really good protein conditioner and then follow up with a moisturizing one with a heating cap or hot towel. She is going to need to add moisture to her hair as much as possible. Since she wont do daily treatments try a daily leave in conditioning spray. The one I like is by ION, Ion Anti Frizz Solutions Leave in Condtioner. You can get it from Sally's. It has a very fine mist so you can mist the hair lightly but it doesnt dampen it enough to mess up your style. I rely heavily on it during the first week after my relaxer, especially for my crown area, as it gets really dry and I worry about breakage. Just spray it 3-4 times thoughout the day or when ever you think about it. And also maybe a light oil moisturizer or spray to help seal in the moisture. Shes going to want to handle her hair as little as possible. If she doesnt want to do a roller set she can try wrapping her hair and use a silk scarf to tie it up at night. That way she wouldnt need to use heat to smooth her ends. HTH. Good luck!

Wolftrap

Thanks enhantment. I actually just got my mother to start wearing a silk scarf. She has NEVER worn a scarf before. She was all into how she looked when she went to bed in front of her husband which is crazy to me but oh well. My mom has ALOT to learn about hair health. Being a type 2 I think she should really have a lot more growth and healthier hair but her hair has always been looking bad since I can remember. She only started taking care of her hair once her hubby noted that I always keep my hair looking nice and he wanted me to show her how. So when I told her she immediately said that is too much work and I had to fight to get her to wear the silk scarf I mean my mom never even went to hair stylists she always did her own hair. But we were making progress until she tried this little fiasco. I don't know what I'm going to do with her but anything simple like weekly treatments at the salon would be very easy for her.

G

[ QUOTE ]
Wolftrap said:
Thanks for the suggestion. My mom is simple and there is no way in the world she is gonna do daily washes. She is looking for a weekly treatment for her hair. She doesn't use heat so that is not an issue. Do you think Aphogee or Pentrait used weekly may help?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aphogee is a strong protein conditioner which may make it kinda hard. Do a creme conditioner like Motions CPR.