Oils that contain ceramides

TexturedTresses

Wheat Germ Oil
Barley Malt Oil (Really not sure about this one)
Hemp Seed Oil
walnut oil (thanks eshille)
sunflower oil (thanks eshille)
kukui oil (thanks eshille)
Eucalyptus Extract (thanks Justkiya)

Please add the ones you know to the thread.

Last edited:

TexturedTresses

I googled it. LOL. Yeah, I'm not that bright. I just did a search on google once I saw someone posted in the ceramides thread that wheat germ oil has ceramides.

JustKiya

Interesting (having done a wee bit of googling myself)

The wiki page is most informative, as is this information about ceramides, themselves, from this research paper.

Hair fragility is promoted by a multitude of factors such as the excessive, inappropriate or too frequent treatment with chemical products, the combined thermal and mechanical constraints imposed by hairdressing, and the continual exposure to sunlight, especially during the summer months. All of these factors contribute to the cumulative process of impairment of the hair fiber, which weakens its resistance to chemical and physical attack and leads to a general deterioration in the feel and appearance of hair. Polar lipids like ceramides play a vital role in the hair's external protective sheath, the cuticle. The ceramides are essential to the cohesion of the cuticle and maintenance of its protective effect for the hair shaft. Ceramides are known to protect and/or repair the hair fibers from or after attack by the various agents and treatments mentioned above. In particular, they have a barrier effect which limits the loss of proteins; Furthermore, they also reinforce cuticle cohesion, which gives the hair more strength and liveliness. (author abst.)

So basically, it's just another kind of lipid. Interesting. Thanks, again!

girlcherokee

i wonder if it would make sense to add one of these oils during the relaxer process.
adding it to the relaxer or in the conditioner before the neutralizing poo?

poookie

i wonder if it would make sense to add one of these oils during the relaxer process.

lots of folk on the board have had success adding a bit of oil to their relaxers. it's a great way to slow down the processing time, and helpful to those that are just beginning to self-relax their hair at home. i had to stop, because i noticed that the oils prevented my hair from fully processing.

i'm not sure adding oils before using a neutralizing shampoo would be all that beneficial. oil has no pH, because it's not water based, and the goal of neutralizing is to add a low ph product (the neut. shampoo) to hair of raised pH, to return it to its natural pH level. also, since oils seal, you might not want to add it until you're done deep conditioning your hair.

TexturedTresses

I'm thinking about adding these and some saa to my mop extreme moisture. i want to see if it will give it some strengthening properties.

eshille

Walnut oil/Sunflower oil contain plant ceramides....researching kukui oil which I've read penetrates the hair.

Thx for the thread..

I found this recipe today:

PRE-SHAMPOO WHEAT GERM & SAGE CONDITIONER
(Great for Split Ends & Damaged Hair)
1/2 oz of dried Sage leaves
1/2 cup of boiling water
1 tbs. of Wheat germ oil
1 tbs. of Grapeseed oil
2 drops of Rosemary oil
4 drops of Sage oil
Put Sage leaves in a glass jar, and
pour the boiling water over them,
St. aside for 30 minutes, then strain
and reserve the liquid and discard the leaves.
Add Wheat germ, Grapeseed, Rosemary
and Sage oils to the water mixture, then pour
over head and massage into the scalp.
Wrap hair with a towel, leave on for 45 minutes
to 1 hour, then Shampoo as usual

Last edited:

TexturedTresses

Walnut oil/Sunflower oil contain plant ceramides....researching kukui oil which I've read penetrates the hair.

Thx for the thread..

I found this recipe today:

PRE-SHAMPOO WHEAT GERM & SAGE CONDITIONER
(Great for Split Ends & Damaged Hair)
1/2 oz of dried Sage leaves
1/2 cup of boiling water
1 tbs. of Wheat germ oil
1 tbs. of Grapeseed oil
2 drops of Rosemary oil
4 drops of Sage oil
Put Sage leaves in a glass jar, and
pour the boiling water over them,
St. aside for 30 minutes, then strain
and reserve the liquid and discard the leaves.
Add Wheat germ, Grapeseed, Rosemary
and Sage oils to the water mixture, then pour
over head and massage into the scalp.
Wrap hair with a towel, leave on for 45 minutes
to 1 hour, then Shampoo as usual

Thanks for the recipe... I added your oils to the list on top.

eshille

Found this info on kukui oil...it's also a ceramide...ignore the Paul Brown product pump...ya gotta grab info from wherever ya find it....:lachen::grin:

"Kukui Nut Lipids,[the signature ingredient in Paul Brown products], rebuild and strengthen hair with Linolenic and Linoleic Acids, two essential fatty acids. The oil processed from the Kukui nut has a molecular structure that allows the protein and lipids to penetrate into the hair, imparting the beneficial properties of the botanicals directly into the hair shaft to replenish moisture, adding luster and elasticity."

http://www.behindthechair.com/displayproduct.aspx?ID=411

eshille

Oooh, this is good link explaining how they work, as well.... this makes more sense to me, now.

I liked this quote: " In order to be certain, researchers closely examined damaged hair - where they found confirmation, under the microscope, that in these hairs, the ceramides had disappeared."

So hot oil treatments w/plant ceramides should add them back into the shaft, if only temporarily?????

TexturedTresses

I liked this quote: " In order to be certain, researchers closely examined damaged hair - where they found confirmation, under the microscope, that in these hairs, the ceramides had disappeared."

So hot oil treatments w/plant ceramides should add them back into the shaft, if only temporarily?????

I think that makes sense. I definitely want to try this.

JustKiya

And here's a pdf about Eucalyptus Extracts....

Abstract:Eucalyptus extract, an herbal plant essence, has been investigated for its effects on
the human scalp and hair. By the application of the extract, which has been known to
promote ceramide production in the skin, the poor barrier function of scalp skin was found to
be improved. Regarding its effect on the hair fiber, by sensory evaluation, it was found that
the newly grown hair on the scalp was improved in appearance and texture, such as luster,
elasticity, bounce and manageability in comparison with the placebo hair.
Measurement of
the physical properties of the hair fibers revealed that bending elasticity and luster index were
improved by three months’ use of the extract lotion. Hair thickness was not changed but this
elasticity improvement was found to occur in the cortex, using AFM. Amino acid analysis
revealed that this extract affected the protein composition of hair.

JustKiya

yuck!!! so the ceramides in my nexxus and redken conditioners could be cow brain?

maybe that's why they cost so dang much! :grin:

:lachen: Or fish brains!!! The fish brain kind is most likely more expensive, since their brains are so much smaller. :nono: :lol:

eshille

I think that makes sense. I definitely want to try this.

It occurred to me that some of these plant ceramides may not/do not penetrate the hair and probably should be combined w/oils which we know do penetrate (evoo...coconut...jojoba...mac nut(?)...kukui) as the carrier for the efa's and any other botanical/nutrients used.

OP...such a great thread...justkiya...super info....:yep:

TexturedTresses

It occurred to me that some of these plant ceramides may not/do not penetrate the hair and probably should be combined w/oils which we know do penetrate (evoo...coconut...jojoba...mac nut(?)...kukui) as the carrier for the efa's and any other botanical/nutrients used.

Wow, Eshilee, this is a really good point. I would not have thought of this. Okay, I'm sooooooooo ready to go shopping in the health food store.

Fine 4s

What's efa?

JustKiya

Pure ceramide for sale!

45 bucks for 5 milligrams, and I'm not sure that's the chemical variant that is used for the hair (I remember seeing something about Ceramide-2, though) - but there it is. :lol: And they've got all kinds - from 2 up to 20 - and the 2 is the cheapest. :lol:

Ahh, well, there goes that thought of using it like SAA and skipping the middleman. :lol:

Makes me wonder how much they are actually putting in their products, though. :nono:

TexturedTresses

Pure ceramide for sale!

45 bucks for 5 milligrams, and I'm not sure that's the chemical variant that is used for the hair (I remember seeing something about Ceramide-2, though) - but there it is. :lol: And they've got all kinds - from 2 up to 20 - and the 2 is the cheapest. :lol:

Ahh, well, there goes that thought of using it like SAA and skipping the middleman. :lol:

Makes me wonder how much they are actually putting in their products, though. :nono:

Oh my!!!!!!!!!!! Uhm, so I'm going to have to try out the oils and see if that works. Because Humectress is cool but extreme moisture is better.