Anyone using pure coconut oil on thier hair?

AmyInAtl

I read in asian countries coconut oil for the hair is a staple. I would like to try it, but first would like to know is it better pure, or as a main ingredient in a product line.
TIA. If you are using either, can you please share your experience with your product.
TIA.

Neith

Most people LOVE coconut oil here :yep: It's one of the most widely used oils on this board!

It's a little heavy for me personally though.

natural2008

I use the coconut oil that I purchased from the health food store that can be use for cooking or the skin. It comes really hard and you have to heat it up on the stove or keave it somewhere so that it can become semi soft since it comes hard. But I like it. I use that with the shea butter from the health food store as well.

jamaraa

Yes, I use it. You can get food grade stuff (ie you can eat it) from the Parachute brand at almost any Indian store. It's cheap as all get out and doesn't go rancid like olive oils. I also dig monoi too, which is pure coconut oil infused w/ flowers...smells incredible. That you'll find online.

One thing coconut oil does (either alone or as a base) is darken your hair over time, so if you don't want that, try sesame/grapeseed/jojoba/etc.....but if you want your hair dark, coconut oil is incredible value for money and results.

discodumpling

I'm using both. Pure coconut oil is a staple. I get it at the grocery store & I use it from head to toe with no greasies, pimples or other skin or scalp discomfort. Lately I’ve been using Softee coconut oil on my hair ONLY (never the scalp) which is just str8 up GREASE complete with petro AND mineral oil. But my hair isn’t complaining so…:rolleyes:

charmtreese

Coconut oil makes my hair hard and crunchy my favorite oil is castor oil. However, I do mix vatika with castor oil and use that on my NG.

Bint Yusef

Yes, I use it. You can get food grade stuff (ie you can eat it) from the Parachute brand at almost any Indian store. It's cheap as all get out and doesn't go rancid like olive oils. I also dig monoi too, which is pure coconut oil infused w/ flowers...smells incredible. That you'll find online.

One thing coconut oil does (either alone or as a base) is darken your hair over time, so if you don't want that, try sesame/grapeseed/jojoba/etc.....but if you want your hair dark, coconut oil is incredible value for money and results.
I had no idea about this.....thanks for that info.

I love pure coconut, black castor, and vatika(part coconut) oils.

SilkyandSmooth

Plenty of us here are using pure Coconut Oil. It is the only oil that I have been using for the past 3 or 4 years. I use Nature's Way Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. I buy it from Whole Foods.

jamaraa

I forgot...FORGET a product line, just buy the stuff pure. It's best that way, IMHO and MUCH cheaper. Places catering to Indian people sells this stuff far cheaper than health food stores too, tho the oil is good here too.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

I love Parachute Oil ~ The smell is bliss! All that for $4!!! Vatika is also the b*o*m*b i pick them up at local indian grocer....man i wish i'd had courage to use ayurveda products years ago...i just didn't think they'd work for my hair...time and hair loss....but no matter ~ I'll get it all back x7! Woo-Hoo!

audacity.

OP, are you SERIOUS!!!

I :love: coconut oil! I use virgin unrefined for practically EVERYTHING hair!

I use it in my Pre-poo, my Shikai-Co wash, as a daily oil, mixed with water when I blow dry my hair...

Girl, get with it! The Asians ain't the only one's who know what's good :)

Saida

My grandmother used to use coconut oil on my hair as a child, and I never liked it, but back then my hair was super healthy and long, I need to get with it again :)

Simply_Kelz

Love it. I used it to flatiron the other day, I use it every day after cowashing as a sealant, I might use it when rollerset season starts back up.

jamaraa

I love my extra vigrin Coconut oil!

Yup, this is the Rolls Royce of coconut oils in terms of sheer quality. Too bad it's so hard to get and expensive. Two things about it, it hardens up at a lower temperature than regular coconut oil (I think 76F vs 78-80 for regular) and that stuff does NOT turn.

Evazhair

I love vatika, parachute brand (very economical for large jug) and spectrum brand. It can be a little heavy, so I use it mainly for pre poo ,ng, deep conditioning and when keeping my hair up.

Zawaj

My grandmother used to use coconut oil on my hair as a child, and I never liked it, but back then my hair was super healthy and long, I need to get with it again :)

My mom used coconut oil on me from head to toe growing up. I still use it and now I have my hubster addicted to it too. I use pure coconut oil that is food grade from Whole Food Market.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I use the kind from Wal-Mart thats by the pharmacy section. I use it when I braid my hair weekly. So far so good!

2Bossay

I use the kind from Wal-Mart thats by the pharmacy section. I use it when I braid my hair weekly. So far so good!

ive recently started using thiz brand from walmart also...itz just a tad bit cheaper than the *nature'z way* brand that i waz using from the vitamin shoppe...but itz exactly the same...extra virgin coconut oil & unrefined with that same coconut smell...i use it on my hair & skin...i luv coconut oil!!!:grin:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
ive recently started using thiz brand from walmart also...itz just a tad bit cheaper than the *nature'z way* brand that i waz using from the vitamin shoppe...but itz exactly the same...extra virgin coconut oil & unrefined with that same coconut smell...i use it on my hair & skin...i luv coconut oil!!!:grin:
I am glad someone else uses it, now I know its okay to use LOL.

Tamrin

unapologetic
Coconut oil is my staple. Im in love with it so is my hair. I have bottles and bottles and I even learned how to make my own.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I used to love this stuff, as well as coconut milk on occasion, but for some reason the smell starting making me nauseous :( So I had to stop using it. It makes my hair feel great though, I'm seriously thinking about revisiting to see if I can tolerate it.

2Bossay

I am glad someone else uses it, now I know its okay to use LOL.

ya girl, i just stumbled on thiz last month!!...i waz like um okeee...same ingredientz az my other brand, so i waz sold!!!...lol....sum folkz use the stuff @ walmart found on the cookin aisle...but um, itz the refined kind...so i waz like o no!!!... im good!!!...:grin:

LovinLocks

I used to love this stuff, as well as coconut milk on occasion, but for some reason the smell starting making me nauseous :( So I had to stop using it. It makes my hair feel great though, I'm seriously thinking about revisiting to see if I can tolerate it.

Ummmm KC, do we have a lil LHCFer in the oven?????

LovinLocks

Vatika

Where can I find Vatika. I'm doing a Google search now, but am seeing distributors vs. retailers.

TIA,

LL

jamaraa

My mom used coconut oil on me from head to toe growing up. I still use it and now I have my hubster addicted to it too. I use pure coconut oil that is food grade from Whole Food Market.

How did your mother use it on you? Was it on wet hair/skin or dry? You can get it cheaper at a halal store, just FYI.

jamaraa

Re: Vatika

Where can I find Vatika. I'm doing a Google search now, but am seeing distributors vs. retailers.

TIA,

LL

Look up you local Indian grocery stores and call to see if they have it. That's easiest and cheapest. Of course you can buy it online. A member here sells it and other vedic products
http://stinastina.ecrater.com/ 10 oz= $4.99 + s/h in the US. www.mehendiskinart.com also sells it. Eastwest bazaar direct link http://tinyurl.com/5d77tt

Last edited: