Silica pills for hair growth?

LadyPaniolo

I read a passing mention in an ancient thread that someone took silica for growth, and it affected her texture.

Do any of you ladies take silica supplements? Has it in fact increased your growth? What about side effects? I don't want something that will grow my hair but also give me a mustache! :nono:

Any effect on the texture?

Any docs on here as well, please chime in with your opinion. Will this speed my growth? Is it something I should wait till I stop breastfeeding to take, or should I just give it a pass completely?

Your thoughts/experiences....

Irresistible

I have taken Alta horsetail Silica here and there through the years, I really cant say what it did for sure with my hair because I was always taking a full regimen with it. But one warning with the horsetail, its a diuretic and can cause potassium wasting so be careful if you take it and never take more than whats recommended, low serum Potassium can make you very sick and is very dangerous. Also while taking these make sure your getting plenty of potassium, also only the Alta brand is the one known to remove the enzyme that blocks Thiamine Absorption-which Silica can cause, so that the only brand I would take :yep:

LadyPaniolo

Wow, I had no idea it could cause such problems... :perplexed This is prolly why DH was like :nono: when I mused aloud about this.

Well, if I do decide to take the supplement, I'll *definately* wait till DS is no longer nursing.

I know all about taking handfuls of stuff and not knowing which one is helping!

Did your texture change from taking Horsetail? Cuz I don't want a line of demarcation in my hair, lol

Irresistible

Wow, I had no idea it could cause such problems... :perplexed This is prolly why DH was like :nono: when I mused aloud about this.

Well, if I do decide to take the supplement, I'll *definately* wait till DS is no longer nursing.

I know all about taking handfuls of stuff and not knowing which one is helping!

Did your texture change from taking Horsetail? Cuz I don't want a line of demarcation in my hair, lol

no it never changed my texture not even in the slightest, i dont know what others reported , but thats a surprising report to me

Irresistible

btw one thing it really does for sure is give you strong healthy growing nails, thats where I always saw most of the difference :yep:

jamaraa

Yes...I have and do. Silica via horsetail/shavegrass herb WORKS and works well. You have to be careful w/ it because it can interfere w/ the absorption of iron, but if anemia isn't a problem you shouldn't have any adverse affects from it. (If you have anemia, take an organic form of iron that will not build up over time, I like liver pills).