Coconut Oil MOISTURIZES?

MirrorDoll

:confused:

First of all... hello everyone! It's my first time making a thread here. I've been lurking for a quite a bit, so I'm not a real newbie. I decided to join because I love the atmophere here (most of the time :lol:). There is a much nicer vibe here than most other hair boards.

Onto the question!

I always believed that oil doesn't moisturize. Water is moisture. Oils are good to lock the water in, but really not beneficial to use on your hair if your hair isn't already moisturized.

I already knew that many natural carrier oils can penetrate the hair, but I never thought of that as moisturizing.

However, some members informed me that some oils can moisturize! Coconut oil mainly, also olive oil.

What are your thoughts on this?

DaRealist

Coconut oil is a great moisturizer and I categorize it, personally, as a different type of oil because it's rather fatty. Coconut oil can penetrate the strands unlike some other oils that are better for coating and sealing moisture in.
Here's some info that really pushed me to using coconut oil more frequently:

Coconut oil is one of the best natural nutrition for hair. It helps in healthy growth of hair providing them a shinny complexion. Regular massage of head with coconut oil ensures that your scalp is free of dandruff, lice, and lice eggs, even if your scalp is dry. Coconut oil is extensively used in the Indian sub-continent for hair care. It is an excellent conditioner and helps in the re-growth of damaged hair. It also provides the essential proteins required for nourishing damaged hair. It is therefore used as a hair care oil and used in manufacturing various conditioners, and dandruff relief creams.

Mumbai, India - Researchers conducted a study to determine if coconut oil is an effective treatment for dry, damaged hair.

Previous research showed coconut oil helps prevent hair damage from combing. This study was done to compare the effects of different oils on hair in treating dryness and overall hair health. The following oils were used in this study:
  • Mineral oil - Popular in hair oil formulas in India, non-greasy, and is low cost.
  • Sunflower oil - Second most widely used base oil in hair oil formulas. Has a low freezing point and odorless at room temperature.
  • Coconut oil - Comprised of special fats which are attracted to hair proteins. This action allows the oils to actually penetrate the hair shaft.

Researchers used a variety of different hair treatments with each oil to determine the overall affect on hair structure.

And the results are:
  • Coconut oil was the only oil that reduced protein loss in damaged and undamaged hair.
  • Sunflower and Mineral oil did not help in reducing protein loss in hair.
Researchers believe these results are due to the different composition of the oils used in this study.

Researchers concluded that coconut oil can give you thicker hair with less drying and split ends. Coconut oil is the only natural oil that can penetrate the hair shaft. This helps prevent hair damage and dryness giving you stronger and healthier hair.

Research References:
Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage. Research and Development Department, Nature Care Division, Marico Industries Ltd., Mumbai, India. Journal of Cosmetic Science. 2003 Mar-Apr;54(2):175-92.

Using coconut oil hair products can help stop drynesss and nourish the hair shaft itself.

Maybe it's better to say it's a good hair nourishing treatment...

Last edited:
C

cieramichele

oil and water dont mix. It can lock in a water based leave in but not water alone. . . i think :look:

Morenita

OP: I know that you already saw this, hence the spinoff, just re-posting the link so others can see it for reference. I am not sure how to really answer your question, but hopefully somebody can shed some more light on this subject.

This link talks about a few different oils and their properties concerning moisturization:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=152473

C

cieramichele

Coconut oil is a great moisturizer and I categorize it, personally, as a different type of oil because it's rather fatty. Coconut oil can penetrate the strands unlike some other oils that are better for coating and sealing moisture in.

I say we go on a pre poo challenge: coconut oil.

DaRealist

That's a great idea, Cieramichele
It would be a tough decision though because I love my Dominican conditioners for pre-pooing. :grin:
Hmmm...I think I may try this for the rest of this month and see how my hair likes it
I'm down if you start a challenge :yep:

Eisani

^^^ Or add the coconut oil to your Dominican conds for a prepoo. I've done this in the past w/good results.

C

cieramichele

That's a great idea, Cieramichele
It would be a tough decision though because I love my Dominican conditioners for pre-pooing. :grin:
Hmmm...I think I may try this for the rest of this month and see how my hair likes it
I'm down if you start a challenge :yep:

DONE! :grin:

naturalgurl

Coconut oil and coconut milk are staples in my hair regimen. It's the bomb! FYI, castor oil is a humectant oil which draws water from the air(like glycerin), I use this lots as a gel.

Sui Topi

I really want to get on this coconut milk/oil thing. I'm not really a fan of the smell though, and it can get greasy if you use it to seal, but I guess as a pre poo its cool

MirrorDoll

Thanks everyone for your replies! :)

I also use coconut milk in some of my homemade conditioners. Coconut milk is GREAT. I've used it as a prepoo, as a conditioner right after relaxing when I used to relax, a detangler and many other things.

Straight coconut oil in didn't work for me personally though. I think it's too heavy for my hair. I assume that the milk works because it's a mixture of coconut and oil and it's not very oily itself.

My hair loves lighter oils. Jojoba, grapeseed and almond are among my faves.

DaRealist

The base for Vatika oil is coconut oil, but it has other ingredients as well:
Dabur Vatika Enriched Coconut Hair Oil Ingredients:

Coconut oil (Cocos nucifere oil), Neem (Azadirachta indica Leaf extract), Brahmi (Centella asiatica Plant extract), Fruit extracts of Amla, Bahera and Harar (extracts of emblica officinalis Terminalia belirica and Terminalia chebula), Kapur kachri (Hedychium spicatum rhizome extract), Henna (Lawsonia inermis leaf extrac), Milk (lac), Rosemary oil (Rosmarinus officinalis oil), Lemon oil (Citrus limonum oil), TBHQ (t-butyl hydroquinone), Fragrance

fluffylocks

Thats what came to mind when i thought about the possiblity of coconut oil moisturizing hair....
I think it has some of the same chains as castor oil, glycerin, and ghee which all seem to soften and moisturize hair by attracting water from the air without actually being a "moisturizer" ....

Its never made my hair feel soft and moisturized like some ladies say though, but i like it because its really light, the smell, and the protein and penetrating as you mentioned.

miami74

I usually just grab one from the grocery store. Here are the ones that I use:

Attachments

• 064-1.jpg
    064-1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 6