Has the steamer really made a difference in your hair?

yodie

Haven't purchased my steamer yet - no more charging for me!! (DANG)

For those of you using a steamer, has it made a drastic difference in moisture retention and overall condition of your hair?

Anyone think the steamer is just alright and not noticing great results?

atlien11

Steam treatments have really helped my hair ALOT. I dont have to use as many conditioner washes because my hair doesnt feel dried out. I get one done almost every two weeks and my hair feels great. Its moisturized without feeling OILY and weighed down. I need to get one for my house but in the meantime i just get them done at the salon.

Im still trying to figure out if you should get them with a shower cap on or off though :ohwell:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I don't have a streamer, I also do my steaming with the turbie twist and regular dryer. I love the results that it gave me. My hair detangled with such ease, it was soft and felt moisturized, and I had the best flatiron results I think because of it. I will definitely keep this as a part of my reggie from here on out.

yodie

I don't have a streamer, I also do my steaming with the turbie twist and regular dryer. I love the results that it gave me. My hair detangled with such ease, it was soft and felt moisturized, and I had the best flatiron results I think because of it. I will definitely keep this as a part of my reggie from here on out.

Do you wet a towel, wrap your hair and then sit under the dryer?
Not sure how to do the turbie twist.

Last edited:

donewit-it

I've only done it once and I want to do it sooner than the two weeks prescribed to really see.
i don't have ant patience.:grin:

youwillrise

It's cheaper, but seems like it doesn't work as well.
How about getting in the shower without a cap on. Does this steam your hair?

i was just about to ask the same question.

how about getting in a hot shower with a cap on?

would that help?

oh...and how long are you ladies steaming each session?

Last edited:

eshille

It's cheaper, but seems like it doesn't work as well.
How about getting in the shower without a cap on. Does this steam your hair?

I'm sure you would get some steam but I think it's the concentration of steam that really infuses the hair. Those hoods on steamers are there for a reason..but in the in-between time...try it and lets us know...:yep:

yodie

I'm sure you would get some steam but I think it's the concentration of steam that really infuses the hair. Those hoods on steamers are there for a reason..but in the in-between time...try it and lets us know...:yep:

I've done it several times and I don't think it's done much.

adw425

I didn't buy a steamer. I wanted one badly, but was having great results with the heat cap and then it got hot here. My upstairs gets very warm as it, especially when I take a bath or shower and the heat/humidity hangs around for hours, so introducing a steamer into my house is not a great idea right now. I have a mastex heat cap. I run a stocking cap under steaming hot water and wring out with dishwashing gloves and put on. I put a plastic cap on over that, then the heat cap Sometimes I heat the wet stocking cap in the microwave. My heat cap cools down after about 25 minutes. I turn it off for about three minutes and turn it on again. When I do it for a 20-30 minutes, my hair turns out moisturized, soft, silky and tangle free. My hand just glides through wet hair. When I do it for 4e5-60 minutes, my hair is super soft, silky, detangled and moisturized. I wish I could try out a steamer to see if I would get better results. I just do not think I will. I do once a week. Sometimes I do the the 30 minute steam once and the longer steam on the weekend. It has been extremely beneficial to the health of my hair -- meg-moisture and moisture retention.

Lissa0821

I have recently purchased a steamer and have only done one treatment so far. Compared to the hot towel with heating cap the only difference I have experienced is a reduced amount of breakage of my ends. Both processes mositurized my hair but with the steamer I didn't feel the need to moisturized and seal my ends every day, which works to my advantage as I have fine hair. I am five weeks post and with the steamer my new growth is much softer. This is just my opinion I think the steamer just magnifies the hot towel with the heating cap by ten. You can still get good result with that method, the steamer results seems to be a little longer lasting. I usually have the hair issues in the summer with frizzy dry ends so I expect to see the end of that with my steamer. To be honest between my Pibbs and my steamer I have no more room for anything in my walk in closet.

Dee-Licious

I'm sitting under Dennis now.

I was away from him for almost a month and I'm soooooo happy to be back with him. He makes my hair feel GREAT!!

I'm a person who loves straight hair and relaxes when I get tired of dealing with the newgrowth... no stretching for 3 months here.

Well, that's in the past. Dennis makes my newgrowth so soft and manageable that I'm thinking of holding out relaxing again til September or October (last relaxer was early May). I see why steamers are so good for naturals

SmartyPants

Yodie...

How long are you staying under the dryer for the turbie method? I stay under the dryer for a full hour EVERY week. Also, what conditioner are you using. I use Nexxus Humectress to do my turbie twist steamer. The difference I am noticing is that the comb goes through my hair like it's going through butter. This method is allowing my to go for my first 8 week stretch (I am doing an 8 week stretch this time because I waaaaaaaaaay underprocessed my hair last time). After this 8 week stretch I plan to go for a 12 week stretch. I have never been able to go past six weeks (using BT) because at some point when I did my weekly roller set, it felt like the comb was ripping through my hair. Not so with the turbie twist steam treatment--I can't afford a real steamer either.

yodie

I have recently purchased a steamer and have only done one treatment so far. Compared to the hot towel with heating cap the only difference I have experienced is a reduced amount of breakage of my ends. Both processes mositurized my hair but with the steamer I didn't feel the need to moisturized and seal my ends every day, which works to my advantage as I have fine hair. I am five weeks post and with the steamer my new growth is much softer. This is just my opinion I think the steamer just magnifies the hot towel with the heating cap by ten. You can still get good result with that method, the steamer results seems to be a little longer lasting. I usually have the hair issues in the summer with frizzy dry ends so I expect to see the end of that with my steamer. To be honest between my Pibbs and my steamer I have no more room for anything in my walk in closet.

That's just it. I don't have room to store a stand up steamer. I may have to reconsider and get a tabletop.

yodie

I'm sitting under Dennis now.

I was away from him for almost a month and I'm soooooo happy to be back with him. He makes my hair feel GREAT!!

I'm a person who loves straight hair and relaxes when I get tired of dealing with the newgrowth... no stretching for 3 months here.

Well, that's in the past. Dennis makes my newgrowth so soft and manageable that I'm thinking of holding out relaxing again til September or October (last relaxer was early May). I see why steamers are so good for naturals

Do you have a stand up or table top steamer?

yodie

Yodie...

How long are you staying under the dryer for the turbie method? I stay under the dryer for a full hour EVERY week. Also, what conditioner are you using. I use Nexxus Humectress to do my turbie twist steamer. The difference I am noticing is that the comb goes through my hair like it's going through butter. This method is allowing my to go for my first 8 week stretch (I am doing an 8 week stretch this time because I waaaaaaaaaay underprocessed my hair last time). After this 8 week stretch I plan to go for a 12 week stretch. I have never been able to go past six weeks (using BT) because at some point when I did my weekly roller set, it felt like the comb was ripping through my hair. Not so with the turbie twist steam treatment--I can't afford a real steamer either.

I haven't tried the turbie twist. Seems like alot of work. Call me lazy, but I'd just rather click a button and sit underneath something. I should be able to afford a real steamer sometime next month.

Coffee

I use my hair steamer every other week and I have seen an improvement in my hair. It stays moisturized longer and I don't have to use as much leave in condish. While getting my pedicure today at JC Penny's I asked the price for using their steamer and was told it is $45 for 30 minutes! I have paid for my steamer at least twice!!