Timing for a Relaxer: When does it actually start?

Neala21

Ladies,

How do you time your relaxer?
On all directions or most they say to start the timer the moment the relaxer comes in contact with the hair.

Timing for normal/medium is somewhere at 18-22 minutes.

So do you follow these guidelines or do you start timing after the entire head is completed?

I've done as the directions as been left with underprocessed hair badly because it takes about 15 minutes to apply a relaxer to my entire head (my sister applies it) thru all my new growth.

My mom always started the timer after a full head application relaxer was applied. My mom would then have the timer going as I smoothed and would state if you feel any tingling its time to come out otherwise it will burn but we never went over 20 minutes with my head.

How do you follow the guideline but get optimal results without overprocessing?

ladylibra

i've always wondered this too. i always assumed it started after you did the whole head. then again i was always underprocessed so it didn't matter :lachen:

Creatividual

It is supposed to start the minute that the relaxer comes into contact with your hair. At 20 mins from when the relaxer first touched my head, I have it rinsed it out. And I time it so if at the salon, they aren't paying attention at 20 mins I'm telling them that I'm ready for it to be rinsed out.

If it takes you longer for application, I have learned on here and many DIYers on here do it, that you can add some oil to the relaxer to slow down the process some so it buys your more time w/o overprocessing you b/c you left the relaxer on longer.

Last edited:

mahogany_horizons

Yeah, it's from the minute it comes in contact with the hair. This is how my mother always did it, & it works, my hair is real healthy!

Neala21

Mizani Butter Blend has good amount of oil in it.

I was just wondering just doesn't seem like that much time as each section will be off by 4-5 minutes as I've timed it twice before.

I did my last few retouches as the moment it comes in contact with my hair. Maybe this time I will have better luck...

Because the off time for each section ( i know that's where some of the underprocessing comes from) Because while section 1 will have been on for 18 minutes, section 2 at 13 minutes, section 3 at 8 minutes and Section 4 will have been on my hair for on 3 minutes logically speaking to the whole processing time.

There is no way I can rinse section by section as I'm sure I would get the other sections wet ruining the relaxer.

What is a girl to do? Accomplished Relaxer --how do you do it?

:)scratchch oh I know there is the half half method....but I don't know...I'm not that good...and never tried it -- Any ladies with experience with the section to section or half half method- What was your process and results?

RubyWoo

I start timing the moment the relaxer comes in contact with my hair. My hair doesn't come out bone straight (it's not supposed to anyways) and I always have some wave/texture left in my hair. I use mild strength Mizani for 15 min. The next time I touch up (whenever that is) I plan to reduce the time to 12-13 min or just add some avocado oil or keratin oil in my relaxer and process for 15 min.

Neala21

I start timing the moment the relaxer comes in contact with my hair. My hair doesn't come out bone straight (it's not supposed to anyways) and I always have some wave/texture left in my hair. I use mild strength Mizani for 15 min. The next time I touch up (whenever that is) I plan to reduce the time to 12-13 min or just add some avocado oil or keratin oil in my relaxer and process for 15 min.

No...I'm far from bone straight. I'm so I highly textured it looks full natural.

I'm going to try the half half method to see how that works. I plan only to go 80% striaght. Right now its' like 2% straight. :wallbash:

MizAvalon

My timing starts from the moment the relaxer touches my hair. I relax in 4 sections though so I always have plenty of time left over. Actually I'm usually waiting around for the time to wind down.

drasgrl

My timer starts the moment the relaxer touches my hair sometimes I go a few minutes over to make sure my hair gets fully processed.

ajoyfuljoy

i've always wondered this too. i always assumed it started after you did the whole head. then again i was always underprocessed so it didn't matter :lachen:

Hey you, I'm calling you out! Why are you posting in relaxer threads, lol? :lachen: There are many of us that really don't want to see you up in here. At least I hope you are just offering advice. Even though I don't know you IRL, I'd be really sad if you relaxed :sad: cuz I love your hair :yep:

Neala21

Even for a thick haired girl with lots of new growth. We try to move quickly as possible...

I guess I might have to revamp things around so that I don't make any mistakes with my hair. I will continue to do the timing as previously done (as soon as the relaxer touches my hair the timer starts)

Thanks Ladies!!!

RubyWoo

No...I'm far from bone straight. I'm so I highly textured it looks full natural.

I know that you aren't (I've read you other thread)) and I wasn't implying that you were. I was just referring to myself and in general when I answered the question;).

SelfStyled

I've learned a couple things through trial and error.

I start the timing as soon as the first drop of the creamy crack hits my hair. It takes me ten minutes to apply, and ten minutes of smoothing. I never process over 20 min. I put my relaxer in a color application bottle- this has really helped my application time:yep:.

I divide my hair in quadrants, and start in a different quadrant each relaxer touch up.

To make the optimal use of the relaxing time, I always start smoothing first with the last quadrant. I figure that section needs the most help because it has the relaxer on it the least amount of time. On the flip side the section that received the relaxer 1st gets smoothed last.

prospurr4

As soon as the creme touches my hair, I start timing the process. I'm texlaxed, so I go through my entire head in about 6 minutes, smooth for another 6, then rinse, for a total of 12 minutes processing time.

santwon

This is interesting, I'd always kinda wondered about that. When I used to do it myself, I'd start the timer from the moment it touched my head. I don't know what my beautician used to do (and over a year later I'm SURE not about to call her up and ask).

Energist

Well for me it's as soon as that bad boy touches my ng. I don't play :nono: I work fast and set that timer, and will allow 5 extra minutes at most.

texasqt

I've learned a couple things through trial and error.

I start the timing as soon as the first drop of the creamy crack hits my hair. It takes me ten minutes to apply, and ten minutes of smoothing. I never process over 20 min. I put my relaxer in a color application bottle- this has really helped my application time:yep:.

I divide my hair in quadrants, and start in a different quadrant each relaxer touch up.

To make the optimal use of the relaxing time, I always start smoothing first with the last quadrant. I figure that section needs the most help because it has the relaxer on it the least amount of time. On the flip side the section that received the relaxer 1st gets smoothed last.

Bolded above is what I've been advised to do and it really makes a difference. Especially when I noticed that one quadrant is thinner than the others because that's the quadrant I'd always relax first. Rotating allows for the section that may have been underprocessed to be taken care of the next time around.

I'm going to try SelfStyled other to recommendations (color application bottle and smoothing with last quadrant) next time I relax too. Great Reply SelfStyled!

Lady Esquire

Rotating quandrants with each relaxer. I love this tip. I have started doing this the last few relaxers, and it helps tremendously. :yep:

I put my relaxer in a color application bottle- this has really helped my application time:yep:.

Using an applicator bottle, I need to make a mental note of this one, because I am soooooo slow.

If it takes you longer for application, I have learned on here and many DIYers on here do it, that you can add some oil to the relaxer to slow down the process some so it buys your more time w/o overprocessing you b/c you left the relaxer on longer.

Yeah, I add some cholesterol (something I picked up by mistake and has proven to be the bomb addition). I also add a capful of EVOO and hydrolyzed wheat protein. This buys me a lot of time!