No growth aids

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
how many of you ladies have gotten great results without using growth aids?

I've comtemplated biotin and other vitamins but the way I am I never stay on vitamins for too long.....after a month I start forgetting. So far I've had good results and it's only been 9 month post BC but I wonder if I could gain more growth is I used other things.

HoneyDew

Girl, most of the "hair idols" here that people hold up so high has examples of what they want from their own hair USE NO GROWTH AIDS.

Example is the Feature of the Month, If you look at all of them, you rarely, if ever, see a lady list a growth aids as part of her regimen. Yeah, you see some use a daily vitamin, or eating right, and I think I've even seen a scalp massages or two in there.

But, for the most part, I think patience and good hair care helped them reach their goals and also maintain great hair going forward.

Growth aids are just not necessary. I think they really help ladies get over humps, or grow in areas of previous thinning and hair loss, but regular use to support normal healthy hair growing, nah, your body hooks you up there. You really only have to worry about retaining the hair, in my opinion. That is where I think most people fall short.

Just my opinion.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
Girl, most of the "hair idols" here that people hold up so high has examples of what they want from their own hair USE NO GROWTH AIDS.

Example is the Feature of the Month, If you look at all of them, you rarely, if ever, see a lady list a growth aids as part of her regimen. Yeah, you see some use a daily vitamin, or eating right, and I think I've even seen a scalp massages or two in there.

But, for the most part, I think patience and good hair care helped them reach their goals and also maintain great hair going forward.

Growth aids are just not necessary. I think they really help ladies get over humps, or grow in areas of previous thinning and hair loss, but regular use to support normal healthy hair growing, nah, your body hooks you up there. You really only have to worry about retaining the hair, in my opinion. That is where I think most people fall short.

Just my opinion.
thanks HoneyDew!!!

Peacan Tan

Just my opinion.

I know, I guess I just needed to hear it from someone other than me

justNikki

I don't have the patience for it, so, I never got into them really. My hair grows like wild fire and I've done a great job of retaining length. I trim when I need to trim and shape up when I need to shape up and just don't have a need for another pill to take or concoction to apply.

I've also never understood how one says growth aid A caused my hair to grow when they didn't make sure that ALL factors remained the same, except adding growth aid A over the same period of time their hair didn't grow.

Traycee

I've comtemplated biotin and other vitamins but the way I am I never stay on vitamins for too long.....after a month I start forgetting. So far I've had good results and it's only been 9 month post BC but I wonder if I could gain more growth is I used other things.

I actually don't consider vitamins and supplements growth aids...To me I think your taking care of Health which ads in hair growth.....Vitamins and Supplements are good for me because I don't eat like I should.....Now topical hair growths I don't use....(please to get mad) I really haven't been convinced that they work

glamazon386

Just my opinion.

I agree with HoneyDew. Also, if you notice most of those people have a simple regimen and wear low manipulation hair styles. Just something to think about. I can't get with all these convoluted regimens on the board. Too many steps, products and work for me.

I'm not a hair idol, not do I have long hair (yet :look:) but I don't use any. I used to take vits a few years ago but I didn't overload on them. Just a Hair Skin and Nails Vit. I also tried GNC's Ultranoursishair. I didn't notice much of a difference with my hair (other than increased body hair and my eyelashes grew). Then I got lazy and slacked off. Haven't taken any in over a year.

I tried MN for a month maybe 2 years ago and got lazy and stopped applying it. I do think that worked though. I was in a weave and saw new growth in like 2 weeks. I might try the MN again. Other than that I haven't used anything. I had 3 trims and a dye job in 2007 and I've retained most of my growth.

ETA: If I were to have a bald patch or something, I'd pick one up and use it regularly until the hair came back though.

Last edited:

nuwoman02

Years ago I took growth aids and saw great results. In fact, I was able to hit bra strap length using them. Two years ago I went natural and cut it all off. This past summer I went back to the perm .
Right now I am growing my hair at a standard rate without growth aids.
I just take better care of retaining my growth and patience. I must say my hair grows just fine without taking twenty pills a day. :rolleyes:

FlawedBeauty

meee!!! those thing just aren't for me. i dont have the time, patience, or memory to deal with them lol. i think i've gotten great growth without them.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
thanks for your responses ladies.....as I said I thought about it but realized it's not for me.....I like challenge so I wanna see how far I get all on my own :grin:

Mook's hair

I don't think they are but, are Coconut , emu or Amla oil considered a growth aid?
Those are my favorite scalp oils.

I don't use any of the true growth aids with sulfur. I thought about trying those but my hair grows at a pretty good rate anyway.

Next week I'll be one year into my transition and I have about 5.5 inches of new growth. I'm not shedding any tears about not achieving the full 6 inches. I would probably get that extra half inch if I stopped using the blow dryer.

I had jumped in to try a couple different things when I was newer to the board (you know how it is when you first get on here)

I bought some:
1mg biotin- It broke me out horribly and I stopped in one week
MSM Glucosamine - horrible nagging headache and
random menstral spotting immediately quit.

Not too long ago, I tried the MN but it was doing nothing for me.
I really think that one works very well for those with bad dandruff and some levels of yeast on their scalp. (The logic makes sense) But if you have a normal, not flaky scalp...like mine then it doesn't improve things by much. So I left that one alone too.

I religiously take my Flinstones Complete Vitamins. These are great for hair & nails.
Sometimes I take Flax Seed oil
Sometimes I take folic acid
Sometimes I take Centrum.

Eisani

I have purchased BT, Surge 14 and hair vitamins, but I never stick to anything more than 2-3 DAYS because I have serious committment issues. My best progress has been w/NO heat and low manipulation.

cmesweet

I just take a multi-vitamin when I remember.

With all the growth aids, I'm still waiting to see someone's hair on here grow from ear length to butt crack length in the same year...if indeed, the product MADE the hair grown 2-3 inches in a month.:look:

silverlotus

With all the growth aids, I'm still waiting to see someone's hair on here grow from ear length to butt crack length in the same year...if indeed, the product MADE the hair grown 2-3 inches in a month.:look:

Me tooooo. And it's funny how these people claiming amazing growth never have progress pics or any type of pics for that matter. :look:

Anyway, maybe for the first couple months of my journey I tried vits and all that stuff but I am toooo lazy. I gave that up quick. Plus I didn't really notice a difference in my hair. Now my reggie is very simple without all the extras and my hair is coming along nicely. Like Honeydew said, it's better to focus on retention than growth. JMO.

LongiLox

Me tooooo. And it's funny how these people claiming amazing growth never have progress pics or any type of pics for that matter. :look:

Anyway, maybe for the first couple months of my journey I tried vits and all that stuff but I am toooo lazy. I gave that up quick. Plus I didn't really notice a difference in my hair. Now my reggie is very simple without all the extras and my hair is coming along nicely. Like Honeydew said, it's better to focus on retention than growth. JMO.

What hair length did you start from and how long did it take you to get to this length with no growth aids? I've thought about taking them too but with all the side effects I hear about, I can't risk it. I want long hair soooo badly and after six months of begining this hair journey, I haven't noticed much in terms of length. Overall my hair is MUCH healthier and somewhat thicker, but I only have about one inch of growth after six months. I'm a little disappointed and frustrated. :( I guess patience is the key?

glamazon386

:lachen: I know right! :rolleyes:

MissMasala5

How do you define "growth aid"? If you mean any product that is used that promotes hair growth, then yes, I use growth aids. I am on an Ayurvedic regimen, and all of the products I use seem to be giving my hair strength, health, shine and an increase in growth. I also eat certain foods that are known to promote hair health and growth as well, so I guess those can be considered growth aids. I had some thin areas that I used a mix of molasses, castor oil, garlic and EVOO on that started to fill in a little over a month. I consider that mix a growth aid.

Everyone has growing hair. Otherwise, there would never be a need to touch up a relaxer. I think a lot of ladies miss the point, and judge their progress solely by the rate new growth they see, versus actual length retention. Seeing a product give you a couple extra inches is meaningless if you are not practicing good length retention in your regimen. I couldn't care less what a person uses to give them length, be it inches over months or inches in weeks. I care more about what people are doing to RETAIN their length, as well as the overall health of the hair in general. I have seen a lot of fotkis where people show that yes, MN and or sulfur gave them longer NG in a month's time, but when they show their overall hair,complete with damaged, overprocessed, breaking thin ends...what's the point?

mzcris

Hi there

I use to use growth aids but now i don't. My regimen is very simple as well.

the reason why i stopped using growth aids is because i was out of my growth aid for a while but continued with my regimen without the growth aid and my hair still grew with no problems...as a matter of fact it grew longer in that 8 weeks period.

plus i am a recovering product junkie so the less products i have the better on my pockets!

Mrs.Green

Just my opinion.

Applause at this comment!!! I totally totally agree. Not only do they not use growth aides they have such simple simple regimens. Like wash, moisturise, seal and bun. Hurmph~ How more simple can you get. That is what I did found good products that work with my hairtype. That has worked for me. I saw great results and that is just my first 3 months on the board. I plan to stick with it. K.I.S.S.

onyxcabelo

I don't consider vitamins to be growth aids either. For the most part they just add to your system what you might not be getting from your food, other than that they mostly get flushed out of your system. I take vitamins, because I'm not good at eating all the "good things" I should. Other than vitamins, I don't use any thing to help grow my hair - I know some people have had good results, but I'm pretty much certain that I'm only going to get my usual 1/2" per month whether I put something on my head or not - this is just my opinion - so I don't spend my money on anything other than quality products that help me maintain my progress.

silverlotus

What hair length did you start from and how long did it take you to get to this length with no growth aids? I've thought about taking them too but with all the side effects I hear about, I can't risk it. I want long hair soooo badly and after six months of begining this hair journey, I haven't noticed much in terms of length. Overall my hair is MUCH healthier and somewhat thicker, but I only have about one inch of growth after six months. I'm a little disappointed and frustrated. :( I guess patience is the key?

Hmmm, this time last year I was maybe an inch or two past APL... so I get a little over .5 in/month.

Aww, don't give up on your journey. Maybe you should look at your regimen a little more closely... for ex. do you use heat? manipulate your hair a lot? How often do you d/c? Stuff like that can really affect home much hair you retain. You can even start a thread asking for suggestions on your reggie. Also, some people see their hair gain in health before they see length so don't give up. If you're doing absolutely everything right, then it's just a matter of patience. HHG!

Chameleonchick

How do you define "growth aid"? If you mean any product that is used that promotes hair growth, then yes, I use growth aids. I am on an Ayurvedic regimen, and all of the products I use seem to be giving my hair strength, health, shine and an increase in growth. I also eat certain foods that are known to promote hair health and growth as well, so I guess those can be considered growth aids. I had some thin areas that I used a mix of molasses, castor oil, garlic and EVOO on that started to fill in a little over a month. I consider that mix a growth aid.

Everyone has growing hair. Otherwise, there would never be a need to touch up a relaxer. I think a lot of ladies miss the point, and judge their progress solely by the rate new growth they see, versus actual length retention. Seeing a product give you a couple extra inches is meaningless if you are not practicing good length retention in your regimen. I couldn't care less what a person uses to give them length, be it inches over months or inches in weeks. I care more about what people are doing to RETAIN their length, as well as the overall health of the hair in general. I have seen a lot of fotkis where people show that yes, MN and or sulfur gave them longer NG in a month's time, but when they show their overall hair,complete with damaged, overprocessed, breaking thin ends...what's the point?

I don't think I consider that as a growth aid. Thats more like a hair oil for healthy hair.

Shalilac

I have purchased BT, Surge 14 and hair vitamins, but I never stick to anything more than 2-3 DAYS because I have serious committment issues. My best progress has been w/NO heat and low manipulation.

The same here. I have so many things that I should really just give away because I NEVER remember to use them. I've always been pretty good about retaining length.

To the OP- I think u would do just fine with a simple 1-2-3 regime :yep: