Corporate naturals...

Lil'MissSunshine

Hi Ladies...
Do you ladies have any style ideas for naturals working in corporate environments and/or other formal settings. This is not easy to come by in magazines. I know that some you don't really straighten often, so what do you do in the meantime? I would soooo appreciate pics or advice. Thanks again!:grin:

yodie

what about a twist out pinned up into a chignon?
I think that would work.

Don't have any pics, but I'm transitioning and wear my hair like this, if I'm not wearing my half wig.

I usually twist my hair back as if I'm cornrowing it. I also do bantu's all over.

So, either of those styles and just pin it up. You can also add a little weft to the mid back of your hair for density and length and just pin it up. This worked wonders for me. Doesn't have to be straight and allows for the natural look.

Cheleigh

I wear my hair in a pony puff (which in my mind is the equivalent of a pony tail for straight hair); a bun, a chignon, a sloppy french roll, or just down in a shake and go occasionally. Any sort of two-strand twist styles (especially in a bun or ponytail) are great too.

When my hair was too short for those styles, I just wore a shake and go daily with a scarf headband or click-clacks. It really is no biggie--all of my (white) coworkers wear their hair in the same style daily, so it's not like anyone really cared--only my black female coworkers will show up with a phony pony one day, a wig the next, and a regular straight do the next week. :lachen:

bluediamond0829

im transitioning and just startd wearing my twa/afro out. I don't think I have enough 2 pull up into a bun or ponytail. but thts one good style tht I wld do when my hair got longer is a bun. my coworker she was natural but she just 2 keep hers straightened out but not 2 where it was very straight.

Tallone

I too bun everyday. I actually have a clip on bun that I use. I slick my own hair back (actually on type 4 its not slick its more wavy, think Billy D. Williams ) I clip the bun on. Im thinking of trying the Curlformers. Gin's looked great

Right now, just either a wash n go with a scarf or pantyhose stocking or a half wig. I prefer to not wear the wigs soo much.
I am kinda style challenged right now though...my hair is too short for anything else right now :wallbash:

JustKiya

I wear most anything, really. *thinks*

Last year, I wore two flat twists down either side of my head, two strand twists, two strand twists in a bang in the front and a tinybun in the back, twistouts, banta knots, multiple flattwists going frontways/sideways/etc, TWA.

This year, I've mostly worn two strand twists in a flat twisted updo. Yeah, I've gotten boring, but it lasts me two weeks, so I'm happy.

I'm going to explore that 100 Protective Styles thread though, and see if I can find something new.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

what about a twist out pinned up into a chignon?
I think that would work.

Don't have any pics, but I'm transitioning and wear my hair like this, if I'm not wearing my half wig.

I usually twist my hair back as if I'm cornrowing it. I also do bantu's all over.

So, either of those styles and just pin it up. You can also add a little weft to the mid back of your hair for density and length and just pin it up. This worked wonders for me. Doesn't have to be straight and allows for the natural look.

I sort of have my hair like this today. I left the front part out to frame my face (aka big arse 4head):lachen:

AfroKink

There are a lot on www.crazycoil.sili.net
Lys

MJ

No offense, but I'm not going to be wearing my hair like that. It is not cute :nono:. I work in the financial district. I wore a TWA for a year and then a rebellious afro for about three months. I've been wearing wigs since I joined the wig challenge last August. I plan on wigging it until I get the length that I desire.

kblc06

No offense, but I'm not going to be wearing my hair like that. It is not cute :nono:. I work in the financial district. I wore a TWA for a year and then a rebellious afro for about three months. I've been wearing wigs since I joined the wig challenge last August. I plan on wigging it until I get the length that I desire.

What's wrong with her hair styles :look:? CC typically has alot of beautiful intricate styles-especially for c-napps and very tightly coiled 4bs. Her buns and updos are amazing :love: (and, if I'm not mistaken, she works in a corporate environment)

Je Ne Sais Quoi

She wears these styles to a corporate job? That first one looks like she was just chilling at the house on the weekend and was playing in her hair. In the 2nd series of pics I like what she did with the back. I don't like the side action but I can totally see a beautiful and sleek updo based on the back part:yep:

I have a question though. Why does it seem like her hair is so super dry? Does it have to do with the texture or just a preference for styling products?

AfroKink

I wish you the best then.

Lys

AfroKink

She wears these styles to a corporate job? That first one looks like she was just chilling at the house on the weekend and was playing in her hair. In the 2nd series of pics I like what she did with the back. I don't like the side action but I can totally see a beautiful and sleek updo based on the back part:yep:

I have a question though. Why does it seem like her hair is so super dry? Does it have to do with the texture or just a preference for styling products?

It looks like that because she's a true c-napp. My hair looks similar (I have a couple pics in my album). Even when it's moisturized it *looks* dry...

http://public.fotki.com/missalyssa/hair-tings/sl-challenge/

Lys

Last edited:

Cheleigh

It looks like that because she's a true c-napp. My hair looks the same (I have a couple pics in my albmu). Even when it's moisturized it *looks* dry...

Lys

When I was first transitioning, I didn't initially appreciate the beauty of her hair, but every time I see her hair or hair like it, I want to put my hands in it--it looks so soft, like a cloud. :yep:

Bre--she has a hair type I rarely see loose and long. I think it's sort of rare, but then a lot of folks have said they have this hair type, so maybe not so rare, but relaxed, pressed, braided, loc'd, or worn short more often.

glamazon386

I don't like those styles either MJ. :look: The first one has too much going on. OP - Twists, buns, puffs, wash and go, twist outs, braid outs, etc. Personally, I like for my hair to look polished like it is in a style. I rarely wear it out and let it do what it does. As long as it looks neat and coherent I don't see the problem.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

It looks like that because she's a true c-napp. My hair looks similar (I have a couple pics in my album). Even when it's moisturized it *looks* dry...

Lys

Ok, I learn something new every day. Now you say it just looks dry, but it really isnt? Does it feel dry? Do you experience more breakage? Sorry for all the questions but i've not experienced this and i'm genuinely curious :)

Je Ne Sais Quoi

When I was first transitioning, I didn't initially appreciate the beauty of her hair, but every time I see her hair or hair like it, I want to put my hands in it--it looks so soft, like a cloud. :yep:

Bre--she has a hair type I rarely see loose and long. I think it's sort of rare, but then a lot of folks have said they have this hair type, so maybe not so rare, but relaxed, pressed, braided, loc'd, or worn short more often.

I wish I could see her hair up close because to me it just doesn't look soft at all (and i'm not trying be funny/disrespectful, etc). Thats why I was asking why it looked so dry. I need to do a search on this "cnapp" type of hair. I am going to visit the ladies link above too because truth be told i'd like to see more up dos that maybe i can copy.

NaijaNaps

All I can say is WOW at some of the comments in this thread. I'm not gonna get into it...

I have a very corporate job as well. I wear my natural (cNap) hair the way I want to and will be damned if someone at work tells me I can't wear my hair the way it naturally grows out of my scalp.

All the pics I have in my album reflect all the styles I wear at work. \

The end.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Lys

I checked out your link :yep: I can see now what you mean about the texture of cnapp hair. But honestly, your hair doesn't look like it's "dried out" for lack of a better term. I guess their are different levels just like with all the other hair types. I wish there were more of this type of hair on the board because frankly i'd never really heard of it and would love to see a little more variety here (unless yall are already here and i'm just not paying attention :lachen:)

MJ

It's funny how people take offense when you don't agree...

I'll say it plainly then: With my hair and the shape of my head, I would look a mess if I wear styles like that. Done. In my 26 years, I've spent 20 of them being natural so I know what works for me.

Nonie

I think I understand where Bre-Bre and MJ are coming from. I don't think they are trying to be disrespectful at all. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

For example, when I wore my hair like this, I thought I was caliente and consider that do one of my best creations to date, but my hubby thought it was ugly and looked like I had spiders on my head. Good thing is I dress for Nonie and not for anyone else, so he just learned to live with spiders.

When I visited a stylist and got a BC I never asked for, she worked on my hair for about 2 hours and when she finally said, "There you are!" and I looked up and saw in the mirror the style she was letting me go out the door with, my eyes nearly popped out. I thought she was kidding. First the horror at having lost over 5 inches of hair. And then I see the UGLIEST hairstyle I have ever seen. So many people seem to love it, but hayle naw! Makes me think of a crazy woman sitting in a corner rocking back and forth while twirling her fingers in her hair. I am sure you all can guess the style I'm talking about: finger coils. My hubby and I were on the same page on this and while he was madder that I let someone cut my hair, he was not amused that I would walk out in public like that. I didn't realize how ugly it looked till I looked at it up close after being out in public and just cried. BTW, that's how my hair looks with many products on it. It had been washed and conditioned with Aveda line then finger twirled with Paul Mitchell. Results: coarse, stiff napps. :nono: BTW, I gave that style a couple of days to look better LOL but when it didn't happen, I untwirled and finger combed and while I haven't used a comb on this hair, I'd sooner go to work with this uncombed do than the stylist's idea of cute.

Another difference of opinion is in the look I got after applying products for a twist-out. A twist-out without products didn't look bad to me and I was comfortable with it. I think I even wore it to work on a friday pulled back with a pretty scarf. But while trying to follow another guru's regimen, I applied her recommended products for my twist-out and this is what I got. :lol: To me that was a scary mess...but it was the weekend so I just wore it like that LOL and hubby didn't mind it at all. I was shocked at his reaction coz he likes neat styles, but he said it didn't bother him. No kidding beauty does lie in the eye of the beholder!

So the styles I'd consider corporate worthy--even though I've been known to go looking crazy to work--are styles that don't make anyone wonder whether you just didn't have time to comb your hair and styles that aren't so busy that they're distracting. I think simple cornrows are very neat and I'm yet to meet anyone who didn't like my hair when I wore it like this or like this. I think Jennifer's hairdo in her avi rocks. Guapa's avi do is very neat and smart. Pulled back puffs look neat too or a single braid/cornrow at the back and tucked under. Even a single French braid down the center of the head would not be a bad idea.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.

I think it has less to do with texture and more to do with that she no-poos, uses butters in her hair and only clarifies with vinegar.

According to her 'routine' section, she hasn't used shampoo since 2003 and notes a buildup problem.

And while I like CC's album and appreciate her contribution, I wouldn't wear any of those styles to work either.

To answer the OP's question, I'm boring so my day to day is normally a puff or twists.

discodumpling

OP

I work in NYC's financial district in a corporate position and I wear my hair however I want to. Because i'm in grow mode my fave protective style is plain old braids. I'm open to any style that accomodates my current length.

I've received nothing but positive comments since I started growing my hair out naturally last April, from not only colleagues and higher ups but my clients love it too. :rolleyes:

I have worn similar styles to CC's to work. I like the creativity. IA that true c-napp hair is hard to find. The range of our textures never ceases to amaze me!

Sunshine_One

I usually wear a combo of: Big braid outs. (part dwn mid 2 braids each side) Twist outs and wash'n go pony puffs. I have pics of these styles in my fotki.

HTH

AfroKink

Ok, I learn something new every day. Now you say it just looks dry, but it really isnt? Does it feel dry? Do you experience more breakage? Sorry for all the questions but i've not experienced this and i'm genuinely curious :)

I don't have much of a comparison because I only get to play in my hair. But I would say it doesn't feel dry, because when it's dry it feels different than when it's been moisturized, although it looks similar.

*Bre~Bre* said:
I checked out your link :yep: I can see now what you mean about the texture of cnapp hair. But honestly, your hair doesn't look like it's "dried out" for lack of a better term. I guess their are different levels just like with all the other hair types. I wish there were more of this type of hair on the board because frankly i'd never really heard of it and would love to see a little more variety here (unless yall are already here and i'm just not paying attention :lachen:)

My hair looks more like the second set of pics I posted for CrazyCoil. I think it's because they were both taken inside, with artificial lighting. The first pic of CrazyCoil is natural outdoor lighting. Mine looks like that under the sun, except my hair has a lot more red it in.

I started a detailed Fotki a year ago. Then I got lazy.
Lys