Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

Jace032000

okay ladies. I decided to straighten my hair for the new year so took my weave out couple days ago, washed, but didn't dc or prepoo :rolleyes: so I did an overnight dc last night. Washed this morning followed by aphogee 2min. Oh and I went back to dark hair. The crown needs to be redone

Your hair looks beautiful---and full!!

fluffyforever

I'm a 4b or tighter (pen spring sized coils). I want to start wearing my hear straight, but I have a big problem with keeping my hair detangled. I can only detangle or comb through my hair when wet with a slippery conditioner. Once it dries, even if I keep my hair in twists or braids, its tangled again. So when it comes time to straighten, its a fight to do the comb chase method.

Does anyone know of a good blow-dry cream that provides lots of slip? Or maybe there is a very slippery serum I can add right before my flat iron passes that I can use to detangle? Or does anyone use a combination of both?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
fluffyforever Try It's a 10 miracle leave in spray. It will change your detangling life. Bomb.com.GET.YOU.SOME.STAT It's also pretty light so if you're looking to flatiron and have flowy non-weighed down hair, it can be the only product you'll need to use on wet hair before you blow dry or rollerset then flatiron. I prefer to use it on wet hair, roller set then flat iron without adding any additional products. It also serves as a heat protectant.

It's in a spray bottle but comes out pretty thick. Section your hair in 4-5 sections after washing and spray maybe 2-3 pumps in your hand then run it through each section. The comb will glide through! I use it weekly when I roller set and I detangle with a small tooth comb so that should tell you how good it is. (and my hair is THICK) You can find it anywhere really...target, cvs, rite aid, salons etc for maybe $16 bucks. I normally buy it once a year when Target has their BOGO free salon product sale...so I get 2 for the price of 1.

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I am on a weave right now but I have to testify about the Paul Mitchell super skinny line of products. I used the shampoo, conditioner, and serum.
Omg my hair (kinky straight weave) is the sleekest it's ever been!! And my leave out is super straight

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Muse

@fluffyforever Try It's a 10 miracle leave in spray. It will change your detangling life. Bomb.com.GET.YOU.SOME.STAT It's also pretty light so if you're looking to flatiron and have flowy non-weighed down hair, it can be the only product you'll need to use on wet hair before you blow dry or rollerset then flatiron. I prefer to use it on wet hair, roller set then flat iron without adding and additional products. It also serves as a heat protectant.

It's in a spray bottle but comes out pretty thick. Section your hair in 4-5 sections after washing and spray maybe 2-3 pumps in your hand then run it through each section. The comb will glide through! I use it weekly when I roller set and I detangle with a small tooth comb so that should tell you how good it is. (and my hair is THICK) You can find it anywhere really...target, cvs, rite aid, salons etc for maybe $16 bucks. I normally buy it once a year when Target has their BOGO free salon product sale...so I get 2 for the price of 1.

lulu97 This stuff sounds good! I am loosing too much hair to detangling. Are you a 4a/b?

ktwatkins

So I love my hair straight, but I use the instyler. I'm so happy I tried it because I absolutely love it! Here's a pic.

Attachments

• image-18185381.jpg
    image-18185381.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 163

ktwatkins

? Do you find you get more volume than with flat irons and what is your hair type? I may purchase

I would say the majority of my hair is 3B. I do get more volume with the Instyler and its so much quicker than the regular flatiron.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Muse I have about 25 months of natural hair and 6-7 inches of relaxed ends. My natural hair varies from kinky/curly in the crown, and comes in more of a wave every where else. So if it can detangle my hair with few hairs in a small tooth comb, it can do the same for any texture :)

Muse

@Muse I have about 25 months of natural hair and 6-7 inches of relaxed ends. My natural hair varies from kinky/curly in the crown, and comes in more of a wave every where else. So if it can detangle my hair with few hairs in a small tooth comb, it can do the same for any texture :)

lulu97 Thanks. I'm going to pick some up tomorrow. I just read a bunch of really good reviews. I was thinking about getting the Silk or the Keratin versions of the leave in. So far all of my local stores only have the keratin one though. Have you tried the Silk or Keratin versions of the leave in?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
lulu97 Thanks. I'm going to pick some up tomorrow. I just read a bunch of really good reviews. I was thinking about getting the Silk or the Keratin versions of the leave in. So far all of my local stores only have the keratin one though. Have you tried the Silk or Keratin versions of the leave in?

I've tried both and they run neck and neck and perform about the same on my hair. If I had to choose, it would be the regular one in the blue bottle with the purple cap. No reason really, it's just a few bucks cheaper. However if the store I'm in is out of the regular one I would def pick up the one with keratin.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My scalp was super itchy today and im only 4 days post blowout. I had to make an executive decision to put some aveeno baby lotion on my scalp mixed with a few drops of olive/tea tree oil. The itchiness and tightness is gone and my hair is still light and flowy. I really wanted to just cowash but I paid too much for this lol

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
So I flat ironed this afternoon after my class. Guess who just wet her hair in the shower :( let me order that turban now

Muse

I've tried both and they run neck and neck and perform about the same on my hair. If I had to choose, it would be the regular one in the blue bottle with the purple cap. No reason really, it's just a few bucks cheaper. However if the store I'm in is out of the regular one I would def pick up the one with keratin.

lulu97 I picked up the It's a 10 keratin leave in yesterday and used it to detangle before straightening. WOW! You were not exaggerating about this stuff. It helped detangle my hair like nothing else. It also made my straight hair smoother, shinier, and it feels stronger. I love this stuff!:love:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I'm still banging and swanging my flat ironed hair. Been doing a traditional wrap at night to maintain and putting a small pea size amount of Carol's Daughter hair balm on the ends and my edges just to tame the flyaways. Not trying to look sexy just had to crop out my face. lol

Last edited:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
So I flat ironed my hair for the first time in near 18 months. Can I say how much I loved two new products?

I prepped my hair by mixing Hydrotherma Protein Moisture leave in with Sabino Moisture Block then two strand twisted into 8 sections. I weighed the ends down with clips so that my hair dried as straight as possible. In the morning, I added a dime size or smaller Mizani Iron Curl and a drop of Sabino to each section then flat ironed in 2passes. To ensure that my ends were smooth, I used a scant amount of Iron Curl on the second pass.

Loved the final results altho my technique with the flat iron needs some work.

Jace032000

I have been MIA for almost a month now. Work has been kicking my booty! Anyhoo, I broke down and went and got my hair flat ironed (I know, I know after I signed up for the bun challenge and no heat etc). I went a month though lol---that's the longest I've ever gone without flat ironing my hair (usually I do it every 2 weeks). So here is what the results looked like---I think it' safe to say I'm officially BSL? What do ya'll think?

Attachments

• 12210062176_019f904907.jpg
    12210062176_019f904907.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 12209853464_e3ba07cf91.jpg
    12209853464_e3ba07cf91.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 185
  • 12209451605_101bbb6989.jpg
    12209451605_101bbb6989.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 209

MilkChocolateOne

I have been MIA for almost a month now. Work has been kicking my booty! Anyhoo, I broke down and went and got my hair flat ironed (I know, I know after I signed up for the bun challenge and no heat etc). I went a month though lol---that's the longest I've ever gone without flat ironing my hair (usually I do it every 2 weeks). So here is what the results looked like---I think it' safe to say I'm officially BSL? What do ya'll think?

I think you are arm pit length.

ajoke

Jace032000 Thank you so much! :) I'm new to the game so I've only flat ironed once every 4 mths this year. I'm on a new regi of using heat every 2 weeks alternating direct and indirect (rollersetting). I watched Sistawithrealhair on YT and she uses Grapeseed oil to moisturize. I also like Safflower oil. They're both very light oils. I only use a little bit and then braid it up and cover. So far so good! It's not oily when I take them down either. I'm praying my heat protectant and use of cones help to prevent heat damage. I also do a good protein DC and moisturizing DC with my washes. But, honestly, I don't know if I'll be doing curly styles anymore.

As a fine haired natural, I completely agree with us needing more product. I flat ironed my hair 3 weeks ago for the first time in 2 years or so. I typically blow dry 2x a year or so, but get too scared to flatiron. I have been feeling stressed out by my hair lately and considering relaxing, because it requires so much manipulation to look good and I lose my edges with corn rows and braids.
Anyway, I followed some advice I saw on YouTube- I washed and deep conditioned my hair. Applied some leave in, then chi silk infusion and heat protectant and braided it for 2 whole days until my hair was fully dry. Then I took out the braids, added more chi silk infusion and heat protectant and then flat ironed. After the first pass (180 degrees C) I used a fine toothed comb and flat ironed again. My hair stayed straight for three weeks, when it started puffing a bit at the roots, I added some coconut oil and braided it. I am just under the steamer after finally washing - no heat damage! So I might keep this regimen. No ssk, no breakage, Minimal manipulation. I just put my hair in a bun and kim. That's really what I need at this time.

Jace032000

Can anyone tell me what ACV is? I've seen this in a number of threads and can't seem to figure it out. Thank you!

Last edited: