baggying Ends

Have any of you not had success with baggying your ends? I am wondering if my hair just can't take it. One thing is that they stay wet and I'm starting to wonder if that is good for "my" hair. My ends feel rough. When I just do leave-in and not baggy, they feel soft and moisturized. Does anyone else out there not have success and if so do you know why it doesn't work? It may just be that some things work for some and not for others. Can anyone put their finger on why? Thanks in advance.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
When I first started baggying, I had the same problem. I discovered that I was using waaaaay too much product in my hair, so I had to be less heavy handed with the moisturizer. When you baggy, you only need a very small amount of moisturizer to do the job. Probably about a dime to quarter sized amount, depending on the moisturizer and your hair.

Once I found the right amount that I needed, baggying made my hair super soft and moisturized. Try using a lot less and see how it works out for you :yep: HTH! :)

sholly6

I agree I love baggying my ends I saw more growth with my hair last year. Try less products and sample other types of moisturizers to get what works for you, good luck:yep:

West Valley

I just tried baggying yesterday....so far so good. I put my hair back in a ponytail and braided it and put ORS carrot oil and avoacado oil in the palm of my hand and let it soak in as I braided and baggy. My ends look great and are soft. I think you just have to figure out what works for your hair. I was trying other stuff but I find that simplicity works best with my hair. And I agree with the other poster, try using just a small amount.

kiesha8185

Have any of you not had success with baggying your ends? I am wondering if my hair just can't take it. One thing is that they stay wet and I'm starting to wonder if that is good for "my" hair. My ends feel rough. When I just do leave-in and not baggy, they feel soft and moisturized. Does anyone else out there not have success and if so do you know why it doesn't work? It may just be that some things work for some and not for others. Can anyone put their finger on why? Thanks in advance.

I baggy my ends every night. I used to baggy my hair when it was still wet, and I think that contributed to breakage. Now I only baggy my ends that are completely (air)dried. I apply a leave-in and that's it. I also baggy with a roller so that my ends are smoother and have a nice bump; it makes my hair straighter. I have a tutorial in my fotki if you wanna see. HTH

Thanks for the replies. That just might be it for me, too much product. I am going to try it w/o a lot of product and see what happens. I liked doing it and it saves my bedding with my hair being baggied. I probably am just using too much product. Thanks ladies. I'll report back

Isis

I baggy my ends every night. I used to baggy my hair when it was still wet, and I think that contributed to breakage. Now I only baggy my ends that are completely (air)dried. I apply a leave-in and that's it. I also baggy with a roller so that my ends are smoother and have a nice bump; it makes my hair straighter. I have a tutorial in my fotki if you wanna see. HTH
Great tutorial! :up: It's interesting that the baggy over your roller makes your hair straighter and ends smoother, probably along the same lines as a saran wrap, which I haven't tried. I may see how this roller baggying works on my hair. :yep:

bellebebe

baggying ends? lol I thought baggying was for the entire head. I'm a newbie well, it works for me. I do a full head baggy every night.:grin:

Eiano

I've baggied faithfully for the past 3 months. This Saturday I am relaxing so I will let ya'll know, but I can tell you that it keeps your hair soft even hours after you take the baggy off!!!:grin:

kiesha8185

Great tutorial! :up: It's interesting that the baggy over your roller makes your hair straighter and ends smoother, probably along the same lines as a saran wrap, which I haven't tried. I may see how this roller baggying works on my hair. :yep:

Thanks! I used to baggy the regular way but never liked how crinkly my ends became. So I figured I'd just do it this way, and my ends are still technically being baggied :yep: To answer your questions, it's a regular old shower cap I got from Wal mart. They stay on better and is easier to put on than plastic/ziploc/grocery bags.

Your hair is so thick and pretty! I'm assuming you'd probably need 4-6 rollers/baggies for this to work. Let me know how it works out for you!

Isis

Thanks! I used to baggy the regular way but never liked how crinkly my ends became. So I figured I'd just do it this way, and my ends are still technically being baggied :yep: To answer your questions, it's a regular old shower cap I got from Wal mart. They stay on better and is easier to put on than plastic/ziploc/grocery bags.

Your hair is so thick and pretty! I'm assuming you'd probably need 4-6 rollers/baggies for this to work. Let me know how it works out for you!
Thank you for the compliment! :)

I did this using four rollers with one bag stretched and wrapped around them, securing it with two Good Hair Days pins. Then I wore my scarf (as usual) over everything and went to bed. Today my ends are very moisturized and very smooth/straight with only a slight bump. It was a success!! :clapping:

I may do this again with my giant green magnetic rollers, just to see what happens. This will probably result in just straight ends, no bump. :scratchch Thank you again Kiesha! I love creative hair tips, especially when they work! :yep:

Last edited:

kiesha8185

Thank you for the compliment! :)

I did this using four rollers with one bag stretched and wrapped around them, securing it with two Good Hair Days pins. Then I wore my scarf (as usual) over everything and went to bed. Today my ends are very moisturized and very smooth/straight with only a slight bump. It was a success!! :clapping:

I may do this again with my giant green magnetic rollers, just to see what happens. This will probably result in just straight ends, no bump. :scratchch Thank you again Kiesha! I love creative hair tips, especially when they work! :yep:

Whoo-hoo!

I'm sooo happy for you! I wondering how this was going to work when my hair gets longer, I'm glad to hear that it worked well for you.

To be honest I should really be using two rollers...I'm struggling to fit all my hair on one roller but I don't wanna wear more than one cuz it might ruin my sleep :ohwell: Did it bother you when you slept?

Oh, and please post the results of using the giant green ones! :grin:

Puddles

On Cloud 9
[size=+1]I use Vaseline to seal my ends under the baggie. I never have dry ends.....they're always super soft.
I've been using Adrienne's Baggy Method. This method is what helped me retain more length. Just like Adrienne....I don't take my baggie off. I leave mine on till my next wash or condition wash.

The only difference......I put Elasta QP Recovery all over....then more on my pony..braid it....then put Vaseline on the entire braid...then I bag it.[/size]

Isis

Whoo-hoo!

I'm sooo happy for you! I wondering how this was going to work when my hair gets longer, I'm glad to hear that it worked well for you.

To be honest I should really be using two rollers...I'm struggling to fit all my hair on one roller but I don't wanna wear more than one cuz it might ruin my sleep :ohwell: Did it bother you when you slept?

Oh, and please post the results of using the giant green ones! :grin:
Since I prefer curl in my hair, I'll have to find a good time to do the giant green rollers. :)
BTW, wearing the rollers to bed is easy since they are in the back. I sleep on my sides. Even when airdrying in rollersets, which I almost always do, I make sure the rollers are in the back (as with the Sylver2 method) or I roll my hair in such a way on one side (when doing Macherieanour method) that I can sleep comfortably. :yep:

bxshayshay4u

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:Bump Bump Bump.....
Still confused about the whole baggying idea.
I washed my hair.
moisturized my whole head.
Put hair in pony.
Sealed the ends with coconut oil.....
a day later my hair is still in the baggy kinda wet....confused what i do next. do i mouisturize some more daily or just leave the baggy on for a few days???

how will this help my hair grow??/

grow

i've been keeping my ends baggied for over a month now and i can see a difference!

EIANO, come back and tell us how your perm went!!!
if i can see a difference after just a month, i bet your difference after 3 months AND with a fresh perm must be really something!

ElegantPearl17

:bump:Bumping for more clarification on the reason/purpose to baggy? Is it for relaxed or natural hair? How do you know what products to use before you baggy?

Americka

:bump:Bumping for more clarification on the reason/purpose to baggy? Is it for relaxed or natural hair? How do you know what products to use before you baggy?

Baggying gives additional moisture to the hair inside of the baggy. Any texture, whether chemically altered or natural, can be baggied. You can use whatever works for you. I personally use about a dime size of leave in and oil on the hair that will be baggied. I do not baggy wet or damp hair, nor do I use so much product that the hair is left damp or wet.

Kiesha8185 has/had a great baggy tutorial in her Fotki:
http://public.fotki.com/kiesha8185/2011/2-6-2010-touchup/

Hairlista also has a good one:
http://www.hairliciousinc.com/2008/05/truth-about-baggying.html

krissyprissy

When I first started baggying, I had the same problem. I discovered that I was using waaaaay too much product in my hair, so I had to be less heavy handed with the moisturizer. When you baggy, you only need a very small amount of moisturizer to do the job. Probably about a dime to quarter sized amount, depending on the moisturizer and your hair.

Once I found the right amount that I needed, baggying made my hair super soft and moisturized. Try using a lot less and see how it works out for you :yep: HTH! :)

I agree! When bagging only use a small amount to prevent mushy hair.