Hair Dryness

shurgood

This is my first post to the board and I just wanted to say that this board is extremely informative. I have a problem with my hair always being extremely dry. Do you all have any suggestions for products that I can use? I've stopped using hair grease because I've been told that it mostly clogs up the hair pores. Any info would be helpful.

H

honey_jammz82

Hi and welcome! I would try a natural oil like jojoba oil, or maybe distilled water with glycerin or s-curl.

OnceUponAtime

Nice to meet you shurgood
honey_jammz recommendations are good.

I'm not one of the LHCF experts, but while you're surfing through the boards, look at some of the routines of the members. A good place to start is at the home page under features of the month. Those women are phenomenal.

You may want to try a hot oil treatment before you shampoo and find a good moisturizing conditioner. Make you sure you deep condition as well.

Hope that helps

soulchild

I used Kenra Moisturizing conditioner for the first time not too long ago, and it is REALLY moisturizing and softening. As far as oils, sweet almond oil is good. QP mango butter is a good moisturizer.

CheerBear

Ok, sorry if this is a stupid question but I just gotta ask...What's the point of doing prewashing conditionning ang hot oil treatments and such???? Won't the nice moisturizing stuff you just put in be washed away because of the shampoo?

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Probably...depending on your shampoo. It could be the reason for your dryness as well. I do not shampoo often. I do condition "washes", which is from the book "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey. I use either White Rain or VO5 conditioner to "wash" my hair with conditioner once per week or so. If shampooing with shampoo, I use Elucence Moisture Benefits shampoo, which has been the most gentle shampoo I've ever used. I deep condition using Elucence Moisture Balancing Cond. mixed with shea oil.

My hair is not very dry. Even if I let it air dry with no products on it, it still feels moisturized and soft, which is MY test for whether my hair is TRULY moisturized.

Spagirl

Shurgood....You might need to try a clarifier to get rid of any buildup as a possible cause for the dryness your experiencing as well. Along with the other things the ladies have suggested, through a leave-in on your hair before you use the oils to finish up.

Welcome to LHCF!

CrownnGlori

I have done condition washes on and off for so long I don't remember where I got it. My hair used to be so dry it sounded like I was combing hay instead of hair. I know that my hair is always better when I work 1 or 2 in a week. I just used Vo5 Pina Colada Moisterising. I really softened and moisterized.

OnceUponAtime

Cheer Bear, I don't think your question is stupid at all. Some shampoos (like Nexxus for one expample) don't strip oils. So, the moisturizing benefits are not lost even though the oily feeling is no longer there.

ccd

[ QUOTE ]
CheerBear said:
Ok, sorry if this is a stupid question but I just gotta ask...What's the point of doing prewashing conditionning ang hot oil treatments and such???? Won't the nice moisturizing stuff you just put in be washed away because of the shampoo?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never did the pre sham. treatments either before this board but I did it twice and I liked it .... (but its an extra step for me and I don't always feel like doing it) I found that is "protects" the hair form the shampoo actually. If you have an extra layer of conditioning, it seems to reduce the dryness after the shampoo. I guess it depends on you hair, some textures soak up the oil and some it just sit on top of the hair.

For me, a really good (thick, moisturizing) conditioner works, 20-30min under a hooded dryer with a plastic cap on......

You have alot of options here, I agree with reading the feature of the month.... I read alllllll
, find a "model" and you can start experimenting.

AND>>>>WELCOME

jellynote

Welcome
everything that the ladies have recommend is a good idea. I also use distilled water, jojoba, castor, avocado and other oils, but for me I wash my hair every 4 days and I condition wash every 2 days and my hair isn't dry at all anymore

Allandra

Welcome to the LHCF.

Like a few members have mentioned above, you may need to clarify your hair. Also moisturizing conditioners and moisturizing leave-in conditioners are good in keeping moisture in the hair. I also like creamy moisturizers.

S

Stylepink

Welcome to the Board!

Everyone her had great advise to give. Just keep on trying different things until you find something that works for you. It will take some trial and error, but the results are well worth it. I have very dry 4a/b hair and Keracare product and Elasta QP products work very well on my hair. You may want to give the Keracare Humecto Conditioner a try. I love the results!

Britt

I would clarify and do a couple conditioner washes. Also find a good moisturizing conditioner. After u condition wash u can spray S-Curl throughout your hair, I find it to be very moisturizing
I think Salerm has a great moisturizing conditioner. As a matter of fact I am going to post a review about it.

shurgood

Thank you all for your responses.
I have a question, though, what is a clarifier? Do you mean a clarifying shampoo?

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
shurgood said:
Thank you all for your responses.
I have a question, though, what is a clarifier? Do you mean a clarifying shampoo?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, we mean a clarifying shampoo.