Show them haters!

Kawaii1

Got any good stories about haters who said your hair won't ever be that long and you showed them? Maybe hair dressers or family, friends? I wanna hear, :grin: We always hear about haters but never about getting hater revenge.

ladylibra

meeeeee!!! my family (namely my mother) wouldn't shut up when i cut my relaxed ends off and only had 2 inches of natural coils left on my head. they all agreed i looked cute, but said i'd regret cutting off all my hair like that and it would take forever to grow back IF it ever did!

i was around APL when i first started transitioning, and i'm back at APL now (stretched length). 2.5 years is not forever ladies! like they say, a watched pot never boils. i didn't focus on how fast my hair was growing, i focused on discovering my natural hair and keeping it healthy. i'm finally getting thru to my little sister... she was excited for me about my hair but she didn't want to go natural because she didn't want to deal with severe shrinkage and prefers to wear her hair straight more often than i do. so i talked her into textlaxing which she has converted over to, using heat less often, doing more conditioning treatments and protein treatments... just taking better care of her hair in general. that hard-headed girl is actually taking my advice and not only do her old relaxed ends look better, but her textlaxed roots are thick, shiny and healthy-looking.

i am glad i proved the haters wrong, but more than that i'm glad i turned my sis into a believer. :yep:

laCriolla

oooh wee

I haven't been on the forum long enough to have proved them wrong **YET**
but

I've noticed that since my hair has been looking better and is growing longer, I HAVE MORE HATERS!! :grin:

I know that sounds egotistical but let me explain-
When I first joined the forum, I told my friends about it. they thought it was crazy and then just left it alone. But one person in particular STAYS telling me, every day, how the forum is psychotic and that the members are obsessive, and that now I am, too. That I am crazy for putting cooking oil (coconut- unrefined!!) in my hair, and that there are more important things in life. She teases the members names and the shorthand for goals (apl, bsl). It's been long enough now where it kind of bothers me. I regret telling her about LHCF.

Well, who said taking care of yourself isn't important?

Now this SAME woman is extra mean and nasty every day. I guess she's a hater. I also peeped she went out and bought herself some hair.
However, no one has ever said to me that I can't reach my hair goal. Probably because I haven't shared my BSL hair goal.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
oooh wee

I haven't been on the forum long enough to have proved them wrong **YET**
but

I've noticed that since my hair has been looking better and is growing longer, I HAVE MORE HATERS!! :grin:

I know that sounds egotistical but let me explain-
When I first joined the forum, I told my friends about it. they thought it was crazy and then just left it alone. But one person in particular STAYS telling me, every day, how the forum is psychotic and that the members are obsessive, and that now I am, too. That I am crazy for putting cooking oil (coconut- unrefined!!) in my hair, and that there are more important things in life. She teases the members names and the shorthand for goals (apl, bsl). It's been long enough now where it kind of bothers me. I regret telling her about LHCF.

Well, who said taking care of yourself isn't important?

Now this SAME woman is extra mean and nasty every day. I guess she's a hater. I also peeped she went out and bought herself some hair.
However, no one has ever said to me that I can't reach my hair goal. Probably because I haven't shared my BSL hair goal.

What's wrong with her? She has got a chip on her shoulder about something. What did you do? LOL

Seriously though, I had a stylist tell me my hair would never be as long as the weaves I used to wear. They used to be between APL and BSL. She made that comment when I told her that I was using the weaves to grow my hair back. At the time I believed that wearing a weave would help me grow hair down my back:rolleyes:. So anyway I haven't seen her in about a year and 2 months when I got my last weave put in. So I'm patiently waiting until I hit full BSL in December to go pay her a visit with my hair out, pretend I was in the neighbourhood, say hi, make small talk and do the head flick. I can predict she'll ask me if I wearing a weave.

sxyhairfetish

I have haters, but... Before I grew my hair long I told my friends chris and melanie as we were walking that I was going to grow my hair long. This was when my hair was short and I was introduced to Cathy Howse's book. The reply from them was so quiet that I could hear the crickets chirping. *No i really heard them, it was night time* So when they gradually seen the length getting longer and longer they said "Girl you hair is getting soooo long what are you doing?" and I said "I told ya'll way back when, that I was gonna grow my hair long and ya'll didn't say A WORD." They told me that they didnt beleive me because they couldnt imagine me with long hair. Mind you before I met them, my hair was always been a longer than shoulder length before I cut it. Now I got melanie asking for hair pointers... But she doesnt seem to want to give up the glue in weaves... soooo... Cant help you there lady.

laCriolla

What's wrong with her? She has got a chip on her shoulder about something. What did you do? LOL

:grin:

I didn't do anything! Honest! :angel: I think that when the health of my hair improved, and I walked by, the natural shine just blinded her.
Hater kryptonite. :lachen:

tenjoy

I have always had apl hair. but the stylist or friends, when they see a little extra length the first thing out their mouth is "u need your ends clipped". Im like for what? as uneven as they may be, they are not split or breaking.

Always trying to clip ur ends..............Haters

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
Oh heck yes!! I had a ex-boyfriend of mine break up w/ me because I decided to cut my hair to chin length(yes...for real!):wallbash:. He said that I shouldn't have done it and that it wouldn't grow back that long, I was only at shoulder length at this point. He's best friends w/ my brother-in law so he came to visit last month. Best believe I made sure to use a cheat (HYH challenge) that day:grin:!! Ladies, I rollerset and then flat ironed my past-BSL hair silky straight and flaunted it...and my beloved SO in his face:lachen:! Yeah, I know that was a little petty, but it FELT SO GOOD ya'll!

Last edited:

Hair Iam

I'm not even APL yet, and the haters are coming out of the wood work. Well its really one woman in my office who is obsessed with me and my hair, She is so negative and loves to gossip with others about my hair. Someone overheard her. I went and confronted her, she acted a if she had no clue about what I was saying. Mind you I'm not asking for her opinion, or even talking to her about hair..so where she gets the nerve from is beyond me. She is Italian has long black hair about BRA STRAP. She is just so negative I truly have had to take it all to the Lord in prayer, just not to lose my cool or self control. She has made statements at different times for example. Someone made mention they liked the reddish highlights I put in my hair" out of nowhere , she chimes in " I hate the color of your hair".....I was left with my jaw to the ground...when did I ask her for her opinion. Another time she jumped in to say Oh now that Summer is over your hair wont be growing" Oh look how long you've been trying to grow your hair(April 2006 I had 3 inches of natural hair at the longest points) I'm 2-3 inches from Arm pit...is that a long time?. "If your looking for me to say I like your hair I don't " I have had to pray for this woman, so seldom you you run across someone who is so negative.
I have boiled it down to this "Who did this to her". either a husband, or parent must have treated her so negatively , this is all she knows. We are both Government worker's , women in their 40's , I have never tried to compete with her in any fashion. I know no one knows the length of my hair as I have only worn it to work straight 2 in 2007. Is she negative or hating?
Well as for me , it motives me even more....
I say this to the Lord ...Now Lord God you must prepare a table in the presence of my enemies ..and I know He will!:grin::grin:

MizAvalon

Oh heck yes!! I had a ex-boyfriend of mine break up w/ me because I decided to cut my hair to chin length(yes...for real!):wallbash:. He said that I shouldn't have done it and that it wouldn't grow back that long, I was only at shoulder length at this point. He's best friends w/ my brother-in law so he came to visit last month. Best believe I made sure to use a cheat (HYH challenge) that day:grin:!! Ladies, I rollerset and then flat ironed my past-BSL hair silky straight and flaunted it...and my beloved SO in his face:lachen:! Yeah, I know that was a little petty, but it FELT SO GOOD ya'll!

I bet it did! It felt good just reading that! Serves him right.:grin:

I'm not even APL yet, and the haters are coming out of the wood work. Well its really one woman in my office who is obsessed with me and my hair, She is so negative and loves to gossip with others about my hair. Someone overheard her. I went and confronted her, she acted a if she had no clue about what I was saying. Mind you I'm not asking for her opinion, or even talking to her about hair..so where she gets the nerve from is beyond me. She is Italian has long black hair about BRA STRAP. She is just so negative I truly have had to take it all to the Lord in prayer, just not to lose my cool or self control. She has made statements at different times for example. Someone made mention they liked the reddish highlights I put in my hair" out of nowhere , she chimes in " I hate the color of your hair".....I was left with my jaw to the ground...when did I ask her for her opinion. Another time she jumped in to say Oh now that Summer is over your hair wont be growing" Oh look how long you've been trying to grow your hair(April 2006 I had 3 inches of natural hair at the longest points) I'm 2-3 inches from Arm pit...is that a long time?. "If your looking for me to say I like your hair I don't " I have had to pray for this woman, so seldom you you run across someone who is so negative.
I have boiled it down to this "Who did this to her". either a husband, or parent must have treated her so negatively , this is all she knows. We are both Government worker's , women in their 40's , I have never tried to compete with her in any fashion. I know no one knows the length of my hair as I have only worn it to work straight 2 in 2007. Is she negative or hating?
Well as for me , it motives me even more....
I say this to the Lord ...Now Lord God you must prepare a table in the presence of my enemies ..and I know He will!:grin::grin:

This post made me so mad I caught myself grinding my teeth. It takes about 6 - 9 months to get from full shoulder to APL. You are going to make it to APL and when you do thank God and keep growing.

BlackPearl1

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Kawaii1

Them d*mn haters! I can't wait to get long so I can show some of these folks in my life, :grin:

Man that italian chick is trippin! She must be jealous of you for some reason to keep clockin you all the time. She needs to let it go. She is probably jealous of your awesome hair or something.

NYAmicas

Seeker
I have haters, but... Before I grew my hair long I told my friends chris and melanie as we were walking that I was going to grow my hair long. This was when my hair was short and I was introduced to Cathy Howse's book. The reply from them was so quiet that I could hear the crickets chirping. *No i really heard them, it was night time* :lachen:So when they gradually seen the length getting longer and longer they said "Girl you hair is getting soooo long what are you doing?" and I said "I told ya'll way back when, that I was gonna grow my hair long and ya'll didn't say A WORD." They told me that they didnt beleive me because they couldnt imagine me with long hair. Mind you before I met them, my hair was always been a longer than shoulder length before I cut it. Now I got melanie asking for hair pointers... But she doesnt seem to want to give up the glue in weaves... soooo... Cant help you there lady.

I would have to say that I think my friends could probably be accused of trying to set me off my path. The thing is they met me when my hair was about APL (very damaged but at a decent length) but then it broke off very badly after I highlighted it. Now that it has grown back (thanks to boards like these and a lot of trial and error) they make fun of my CO washes, my protective styles, my stretching, anything I do even though it works and their hair has never reached past the length it was when I met them.:nono: They like to think I have "good hair" so wont listen to anything I try to tell them so their hair can be nice and healthy.

Oh and some of these other stories are downright ridiculous! Breaking up with someone over a hair cut (though I did have an ex tell me my long hair "made me" and he'd be very upset if I cut my hair) and the Italian woman who sounds 4 but is 40-I dont even know where to begin on that one.

Last edited:

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
I bet it did! It felt good just reading that! Serves him right.:grin:

Yeah girl! The look on his face was priceless:lachen:! ESPECIALLY after he saw my SO...my sister and I were crackin up afterwards:grin:. That breakup hurt me, right after he dumped me he started dating this girl w/ waist length hair:perplexed that's around the time I started gluing in tracks which damaged my hair even worse. Well, time heals all wounds and also grows a lot of hair...I'm blessed!

Last edited:

laCriolla

wow that guy just wanted to date hair. did his mom have long hair? just wondering.

i guess it's best you found out sooner as opposed to later!

the italian lady at work needs to DO SOME WORK instead of stalking you and your hair progress. hmmm.... best revenge would be to out shine her at work. just naturally. by getting your work done while she's spying on you. crazy lady.

Hair Iam

Yeah girl! The look on his face was priceless:lachen:! ESPECIALLY after he saw my SO...my sister and I were crackin up afterwards:grin:. That breakup hurt me, right after he dumped me he started dating this girl w/ waist length hair:perplexed that's around the time I started gluing in tracks which damaged my hair even worse. Well, time heals all wounds and also grows a lot of hair...I'm blessed!

Hi loss love, I bet your SO is a more thoughtful man

Hair Iam

wow that guy just wanted to date hair. did his mom have long hair? just wondering.

i guess it's best you found out sooner as opposed to later!

the italian lady at work needs to DO SOME WORK instead of stalking you and your hair progress. hmmm.... best revenge would be to out shine her at work. just naturally. by getting your work done while she's spying on you. crazy lady.

Funny you would say this, your so right ..I'm going to do exactly what you said. Not so much to get back at her but its another area to show God's work in my life. Thanks laCriolla;2941401.

Ps. your funny:lachen::lachen:

Christa438

I know there have been a lot of ladies reaching their goals. I need to hear some more "I showed them" stories for inspiration. :grin:

GeorginaSparks

My mother is the #1 culprit. She would laugh and make stupid jokes when i was applyong olive oil. cholesterol or buying stuff for my hair. :nono: Then this past easter and i wore my hair down, she said who did my weave. I said does this look like a weave? Its my hair you know what my hair looks like and she was digging her hands in my hair in the restaurant. She asked what i did and i said the stuff you were laughing at.

Christa438

My mother is the #1 culprit. She would laugh and make stupid jokes when i was applyong olive oil. cholesterol or buying stuff for my hair. :nono: Then this past easter and i wore my hair down, she said who did my weave. I said does this look like a weave? Its my hair you know what my hair looks like and she was digging her hands in my hair in the restaurant. She asked what i did and i said the stuff you were laughing at.

Dang, you had to show mommy :rolleyes:. LOL, Im planning to show my sisters and cousins at the end of this year (last year progress wasn't good enough to reveal). Everybody always gets together for Christmas. By then, I should be approaching BSL/BSB. They haven't been mean or nasty to me, but they have made jokes and clearly doubted that I could grow my hair down my back. My angelic mama is supportive though and has even made suggestions, bless her heart, but you know she has some of them old school ways--some good, & some are :nono:...let's just say "ain't no way..."

Last edited:

Lioness

It's sad that there are still people out there who think black women can't grow long hair, and when someone voices their belief that they can do it, there is someone, namely one of our "own" saying that it can't be done....
Knowledge is power...

Last edited:

Lioness

Seriously though, I had a stylist tell me my hair would never be as long as the weaves I used to wear. They used to be between APL and BSL. She made that comment when I told her that I was using the weaves to grow my hair back. At the time I believed that wearing a weave would help me grow hair down my back:rolleyes:. So anyway I haven't seen her in about a year and 2 months when I got my last weave put in. So I'm patiently waiting until I hit full BSL in December to go pay her a visit with my hair out, pretend I was in the neighbourhood, say hi, make small talk and do the head flick. I can predict she'll ask me if I wearing a weave.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:
Sounds like something I would do :lachen:

chebaby

I have always had apl hair. but the stylist or friends, when they see a little extra length the first thing out their mouth is "u need your ends clipped". Im like for what? as uneven as they may be, they are not split or breaking.

Always trying to clip ur ends..............Haters
i've noticed this too. i just now started taking extra good care of my hair but even before my hair was never shorter than APL and they always wanted to chop off my "bad" ends. mind you that my ends were NEVER raggidy. before i even knew about good hair care i always moisturized my ends and wraped my hair at night. but they always had them scissors waiting for me

Nola Darling

Oh snap!:lachen:

cutenaynay

I have alot of stories ..even when my hair was longer people thought that I had a weave in..like black girls can't have long or even healthy hair! now when I first cut it some people at school thought it was a wig!! and there was another time this white man on the street told me "Nice wig" I said "this is my hair not a wig!!!".. Wow I guess that was a compliment but why is that unbelievable that a black girl can have hair like that,lol lol its alright im not sweating I love the haters.

Oh yea and my mom is a big one too I love her sooo much but after I cut my hair ..I didnt hear the end of it. Even up to this day she will be like " Hmm right now your hair should be long and flowing ..now you don't got none!!" :lachen::lachen:LOL LOL Thats just motivation I brushed that off and kept it moving:yep:

Last edited: