What is the purpose of hot oil treatments

kenyana

I know of 2 kinds of hot oil treatments. The kind u can make by urself (warm olive, jojoba, coconut, grapeseed... etc oils) and the kind that is sold in stores.

1. Hot oil treatments R pre-shampoo treatments. Oils get attatched to the dirt in hair and make it easier for shampoos to work. ---&gt; Shampoos consist of an oil-loving or lipophilic/hydrophobic part (that the oils attatched to the dirt are attracted to) and a water-loving/ hydrophilic part that 'wants' to flow down the drain with the rest of the water as u shampoo - and so the the whole " <font color="red"> dirt--&gt;oil--&gt;shampoo--&gt;water </font> " chain gets washed out.
If a cold oil treatment was done and sufficient shampoo were used the hair would be left 'squeaky clean'... but vulnerable.

During a hot oil treatment, some oil is able to penetrate deeper into the hair strands (&amp; out of the shampoos reach
) where it remains conditioning the hair, smoothing the cuticle surface and making hair glossy. Other 'hot oiling' properties or benefits will depend on the oil used (Some oils aid hair growth, some are soothing, some are anti-oxidants,etc.

I prefer 2 use store bought hot oil treatments; The one I use (VO5)contains oils and hydrolysed proteins ...thats a bonus 4 me coz I don't need to buy other protein treatments!

katie

thanks for the response kenyana.
So hot oil treatments should only be done as a pretreatment?

kenyana

Yup! I think so katie.
The instructions on the VO5 hot oil do specify that it needs to be shampoo'd off after a minute. I leave mine on for about three minutes and then shampoo it out. I figure the manufacturer knows best &amp; so I wouldn't leave it on too much longer than they suggest.

G

I always used hot oil treatments after I shampooed and conditioned. Now it seems as if it is better to use it before shampooing...Question: Before doing a pre-shampoo hot oil treatment, does the hair need to be wet? Or is it applied to dry hair followed by shampoo?

NAY007

When I used to do hot oil treatments I always did them before I washed my hair. I always used olive oil (sometimes mixed with vegetable oil and honey). I would warm it up, soak my hair with it, squeeze all the excess oil out and then leave it in my hair for as long as possible. It always depended on how much time I had that day. And I always did my hot oil treatments on dry hair.
Lately I've been very lazy and always want to be done fast so I haven't done a hot oil treatment in maybe 10 months.

G

I know there are other people who do pre-shampoo hot oil treatments..do you wet the hair or apply it on dry?

Cres81

I use the Queen Helene Hot oil, and I use it after I shampoo. The instructions say to use it after you shampoo,but I have done hot oil treatments with other products that say to use prior to shampooing.

CaramelKiss

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
I know there are other people who do pre-shampoo hot oil treatments..do you wet the hair or apply it on dry?

[/ QUOTE ]

I apply it on dry hair. I use Weleda's rosemary hair oil. Talk about stimulation for the scalp! Anyhow, I will apply it in the morning and then go on with my day and then shampoo in the evening. It makes shampooing much gentler on my hair and adds shine to my hair.

I can't say that I've done a hot oil treatment on wet hair, but during my daily rinses in the warm weather, I always apply oil to my leave-in while my hair is still wet to lock in the moisture. Either way, you won't lose. Try both and see what works best!!!

KinksnCurlz

I use Africa Best (at least i think that's what it's called
) on my hair and my 3 year old's hair. it smells absolutely yummy. I dampen my hair with my spray bottle, and use a little bit of conditioner (suave coconut or whatever i have that's cheap) and sometimes i use olive oil - which i haven't done in a while. I do this about once every 2 weeks.
I did use honey, olive oil and conditioner once, i liked the results