Fine Haired Ladies...What Brand/ Strength Relaxer Do you Use?

InJesusName

Ladies I finally came out of the closet:lachen:! ...

I HAVE FINE HAIR. I feel much better now!

I have successfully stretched for 14 weeks and can't take the dual textures anymore, so I want to relax (again).

I went to a salon for a "texlax" and the lady left the relaxer in too long, so I reluctantly went back to bone straight. I see that most fine haired ladies prefer a "texlax" to maintain some type of fullness.

What types of relaxer (s) do you use? What strength? I am thinking about Silk Elements Mild with Lye. Any input?

FlawedBeauty

I texlax using ORS Relaxer Kit, regular strength. After I rinse I DC with the ORS Replenish Pak that comes with it. I usually slap it on the Pak, cover with a plastic bag, and let it sit for 1-2 hours. :)

bluediamond0829

I was going to the salon they were using Affirm sensitive scalp i believe regular on me lye...

but i just self relaxed with ORS no-lye regular

but way back when i was self-relaxing i was using the kiddie relaxers than i found out that their ph is about the same as a regular relaxer....

so i may try something mild but i didnt have a problem with using the regular and it got my hair really nice and straight...

SandySea

For years my hair dresser used Mizani sensitive scalp relaxer and I loved it. Then I wanted more texture, to I self-relaxed with ORS no-lye regular. Didn't like the effect, but that was because I didn't smooth the relaxer. I ended up with a weird texture. Last touch-up I used optimum care regular and I loooove it. My hair was silky and straight, but has texture when wet. It's been strong with no breakage. I'm thinking about going to my old hair dresser and going back to the mizani, just because I'm scared to do any more at home relaxers. I also may ask for optimum care--I think either would be fine.

-P.S.--I really like this new found fine hair pride on the boards now. I always hated to hear the fine-haired girls downing their texture. You can have beautiful hair regardless of how many cuticle layers you have :grin:.

Last edited:

Artemis

-P.S.--I really like this new found fine hair pride on the boards now. I always hated to hear the fine-haired girls downing their texture. You can have beautiful hair regardless of how many cuticle layers you have :grin:.

ITA :drunk:

I use Mizani lye. This past touch-up I moved up to regular strength, as mild wasn't cutting it on my hair these past few months...I blame the biotin :look:

gymfreak336

ITA :drunk:

I use Mizani lye. This past touch-up I moved up to regular strength, as mild wasn't cutting it on my hair these past few months...I blame the biotin :look:

the biotin is no joke

I have used design essentials for my latest touchups. I think I will be using mizani the next time around. Nothing was wrong with design essentials but I just want to try the butter blend.

I use Deisgner Touch no lye relaxer. I' going to try Phyto II for my next relaxer, in about 10 weeks. I'm also going to try texlaxing next time.

Artemis

the biotin is no joke

I have used design essentials for my latest touchups. I think I will be using mizani the next time around. Nothing was wrong with design essentials but I just want to try the butter blend.

For real, esp. when you go from 1000 mcg to 6275 mcg!! Crazy!!

I may try DE relaxer once I've used up my mizani...which may be awhile...

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I am using ORS Lye and I love it. It was the first time that I self relax and got my hair straight like I wanted to.

InnerSoul

I used ORS no lye on my last relaxer(July) and I left it in too long and the dryness that took over was no fun:nono:... therefore on my next relaxer in December I will be using Mizani lye.

Cayenne0622

I was using Designer's Touch Lye (Mild). I tried Affirm and I tried Silk Elements...they were okay. My last 2 relaxers I've been using Optimum Multi-mineral (Mild)and I'm pretty happy with it!:grin:

Hersheygurl

What types of relaxer (s) do you use? What strength? I am thinking about Silk Elements Mild with Lye. Any input?

Hi InJesusName,

I am texlaxed but am also fine-haired. When I wanted it straighter, I used Affirm regular strength ( didn't care much for it as it left me very over-processed). I have had luck with Vitale Pro High comfort and Vitale relaxers in general in mild. Also very impressed with Revlon Realistic in mild.

I tried SE mild, and initially loved the results, but had a bout of horrible shedding afterwards and my hair felt strangely doll-like. The first couple days it was beautiful, but then came the sheddding. Too scared to try that one ever again.

yardgirl

My stylist used Design Essentials no lye for my last relaxer and Affirm Sensitive Scalp a few times. I'm switching stylists and I just bought the 30 oz tub of Mizani Butter Blend Medium so we'll see how that goes.

JJamiah

I use Motions Moisturizing Lye Relaxer ;) won't be switching anytime soon unless they stop making it. I have been using only this relaxer for years, My new hair (since I cut it all off years ago) has only had this relaxer in it.

MissLawyerLady

I recently used Linange Shea Butter relaxer (lye). It is wonderful. My hair processed nicely and got straight but not lifeless straight, which is what usually happens with my fine hair. With Linange my hair has lots of body and thickness. I self-relax.

I used SE Mild lye prior to Linage and my hair was so super straight. It was shiny, but lifeless and the shedding was major! I'm loving the Linange!

adaniels29

Hello Ladies,

I use Silk Elements MegaSilk Relaxer - Mild and dilute it with conditioner. I add equal parts of relaxer and Silicon Mix Bamboo conditioner. I then add a tablespoon of coconut or extra virgin olive oil. I mix this in a plastic bowl and apply. Diluting the perm slows down the relaxer and I'm left with a really nice wave pattern and I'm not bone straight.

Mystic

I used phyto1 for almost 2 years before I went natural and it gave my fine strands thickness that no other relaxer have ever been able to do. Unfortunately, overtime, it created havoc on my strands and my hair was scary dry. When I wash, my hair was so hard, it was annoying to comb out. I am scared to use it again for those reasons even though I have a box in my closet.

Fast forward to recently, I used MBB regular and it worked well but didn't contribute to thickness. My hair was so soft and felt like butter. Next I tried Linange reg and it worked well also. Unfortunately regular relaxers began to rob my strands of the thickness I need and it was disheartening to see my scalp (see-thru) after a relaxer which I truly hate. With phyto, I had total fullness after a relaxer but my hair was dull; with Linange, shine galore. Only problem is my hair started going down hill where thickness was concerned. In addition, I relaxed myself and damaged the sides of hair (it seems) as my hair started to break from the root so now my sides are thin and see thru - work in progress. My last relaxer with Linange was a mild one but I still have breakage on my hairline and side and still not enough thickness yet. Maybe I need to give this Linange mild relaxer some time before I go switching again (sucks because the very first time I used phyto I saw a dramatic difference in the thickness of my strands - oh well!). Maybe lye relaxers make my hair too soft lol and no lye makes it dry but gives me more body - I dunno.

My ideal relaxer would be one that gives me everything that phyto 1 gave (thickness, strength and body) but NO DRYNESS! combined with the softness, shine and awesome feel that Linange gives. If I found that combo, I would be sold.

Last edited:

Aggie

My last texlaxer was 19 months ago and I used Mizani Butter Blend Mild strength for fine textured hair.b It is the perfect relaxer for my hair. It does not get the hair too straight but that's also perfect for me because when my hair is relaxed bone-straight, it looks even finer. That look is a :nono: for me.

godsflowerrr

Silk elements mild with lye is the truth! (The one in the brownish container.) I used this on someone and her hair felt like butter!! I was so in love with it and never used anything else on her. I wish I knew about this relaxer when I was relaxed...I was using motions and there is no comparison.

againstallodds

I just relaxed today with MBB fine/color treated. I used the entire MBB line, except the Microfusion condish. My hair has so much body. I love it!