SISTALOCS: what's the difference and pictures please

seraphinelle

What is the difference between sista locs and dred locs?

Are there people that have pictures of either.

Thank you!

Qt girl

Sistalocs are weaved in a sort of crochet manner versus the hand rolled type. They offer the advantage of almost instant gratification since you don't have to wait for your hair to loc, and they can be woven thinner than hand rolled. Handrolled risk breakage at the base from either being too thin or being rolled too often.

thefineprint

sisterlocks are smaller than most traditional dreadlocks. they are patented so only those who have paid to receive the training can perform the service. they also typically cost more than traditional locs. they are started with a woven pattern, not comb coils, palm rolling, product (beeswax,)etc. they are also the only locs that can be started on relaxed hair. sisterlocks also provide a larger variety of style options. check out my album and here is a great link:

http://locksblogsphotos.blogspot.com/

thefineprint

my initial installation took 11 hours (i think...i can't really remember) but mine are medium sized. the micro sizes can take a few days! now i pay $40 every 6 weeks for a retightening. after a year i will learn to retighten myself and stop going to the salon (or until i decide to change it up!)

thefineprint

examples:

sareca

Those are so beautiful!!!! Ok, that's what's after mid-back length relaxed hair for me! They're SO BEAUTIFUL!

meaganita

my initial installation took 11 hours (i think...i can't really remember) but mine are medium sized. the micro sizes can take a few days! now i pay $40 every 6 weeks for a retightening. after a year i will learn to retighten myself and stop going to the salon (or until i decide to change it up!)
WOW!!! They are GORGEOUS. They're so small, you can't even tell they're locs. They look more like tiny twists....

thefineprint

WOW, those are nice!! Do you have to worry about the weight of sisterlocs like the traditional ones? I know my sis-in-law had to cut hers out because they were heavy and she started balding.

no, i have never heard of women w/ sisterlocks experiencing heaviness after they are mid-back...my consultant's hair is going on waist-length but they feel quite light. i suppose it depends on the density of your hair - i'm sure you could cut them into layers to lighten them

TracyNicole

I'm glad I'm not the only one on here with sisterlocks! I just joined and honestly thought I'd be the only one. I started my second set of sisterlocks in March. They don't get solid like traditional locks so as they grow longer you don't get that heavy weight to the hair. BTW, thefineprint your hair looks lovely:)

thefineprint

I'm glad I'm not the only one on here with sisterlocks! I just joined and honestly thought I'd be the only one. I started my second set of sisterlocks in March. They don't get solid like traditional locks so as they grow longer you don't get that heavy weight to the hair. BTW, thefineprint your hair looks lovely:)

thanks tallen! yep, lhcf has seen me relaxed, natural and now loced. i'm glad there are other sisterlockers on the board now!

thefineprint

Sisterlocks can be curled like relaxed hair, and are actually the only kind of locs that can be started with relaxed hair (although you need a couple of inches of new growth). Mine are still in the baby/fuzzy stage - they are 7 1/2 months old. Since some are so interested, here are some more. Sorry - I am blacking out the fotki pics because I didn't acquire permission to share.
Just trying to be respectful:

Last edited:

locfreeme

How much was your initial installation and how did you go about finding someone to do them?

I had locs for 5 years, cut them off and wore a fro for a while, then relaxed. I now want to go back to locs but I don't want to cut all my hair off to do so. Plus, my husband had a FIT when I cut my MBL locs so I know what'll happen if I cut all my hair off again - LOL. I'd been thinking about getting Sisterlocks but I've had such a hard time navigating the sites that are out there to get information. I'm very concerned about the initial cost and the cost of ongoing maintenance. I'm in the Chicago area.

Maybe if I can get some direction from you I can make this an early Christmas present to myself.. :grin:

sxyhairfetish

These are so gorgeous and perfect! I have always wanted locs but were to afraid to go through that awkward stage of chopping my hair all off. These however look peeerrrfect because you can still style it. How much are these initially?

darkempress

These are so gorgeous and perfect! I have always wanted locs but were to afraid to go through that awkward stage of chopping my hair all off. These however look peeerrrfect because you can still style it. How much are these initially?
THATS EXACTLY HOW I FELT BEFORE GETTING MINE....I COULDNT SEE MYSELF STARTING OVER FROM SCRATCH LIKE THAT. BUT SO FAR MY HAIR HASNT BEEN STICKING UP LIKE I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE, ITS BEHAVING NICELY SO FAR.

Amber_moon

I heard they are about $500 to install them and about $75-100 for touchups.

tallnomad

this is very tempting. i think i'm going to do this one day. i've always thought that i would get locs when i had kids because of the ease, low maintenance, etc. i do love my big natural hair though, so i know i would miss the big hair and the versatility of wearing it natural and getting it pressed when i wanted a change. i think that my 4a hair would really thrive in this style though. i'm really considering this in the next couple of years though. i get tired of dealing with my hair--that's why i have braids now---plus i'm just about done growing out the texturizer on the ends. just thinking while i type. i'm gonna figure out a way to loc my own darn hair with a crochet hook or get a friend to do that. that's some pricey maintenance but i guess it might be worth it.

Colliecole

I had locks for about 2 years. I loved my locks, but after a while I wanted more versatility. That's when I read in a magazine that you can comb locks out. The article said locks that had been in for no more than a year...but I figured I'd be brave. It took me about a month, 4 bottles of suave conditioner, and 5 broken rat tail combs till it was all out :lachen:I had to cut a couple inches because the hair was damaged, but it was still to my shoulders after all that. I relaxed it :wallbash: and now I'm growing it back out natural...:ohwell:

Looking at these sister locks is making me want to lock it up again. I'm so darn flighty :drunk:

Below: My locks at 1-2 yrs

Attachments

• Bday Week 06' 046.jpg
    Bday Week 06' 046.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Hillory's Shower 007.jpg
    Hillory's Shower 007.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 47
  • April 2006 041.jpg
    April 2006 041.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 58

thefineprint

I heard they are about $500 to install them and about $75-100 for touchups.

Well you have to look at it like an investment. Like anything, sisterlocks do come with a price and it depends on 1) the consultant + demand in your area 2)length of your hair (i started w/ 8-9 inches of natural hair) and 3) density of your hair. My sisterlocks cost $500 for the starter/test locks and initial consultation + installation+ starter kit of free products + 1st retightening due to the sheer density (i've broken my share of combs!) and the length.

The shorter the hair = the cheaper.

Before locs I was having my relaxed and natural hair braided every 2 months - I finally figured if I'm fronting $200 every 8 weeks and wearing fake hair that I could just save $$ 2 1/2 months for a style that's beauty will increase w/ age and that i can wear for free the rest of my life and still stay natural. But yes, prices vary by consultant. If you go to a trainee instead (someone who is has not yet worked on enough heads to be given a full certification yet) then it is drastically cheaper - I've heard as low as $200.

I absolutely love sisterlocks! Rollersets last for weeks and besides a retightening every 6 weeks they are virtually maintenance free. When my locs turn 1 year old I will start maintaining them at home myself with the nappylocs tool (a latching tool that retightens locks). Others have started maintaining their's as early as 2-3 months. I still pay $40 every 6 weeks (think of it as a 'touch' up) to get retightened though.

For those looking for a similar hairstyle but for cheaper - many women have been successful with micro braid locs ( check out: http://cheleskilove.blogspot.com/ )which just entails installing small braids and waiting for them to loc (about $70 i think). This can only be achieved on natural hair though.

If you are looking for a consultant or trainee go to the network list on http://www.sisterlocks.com
If you want to look at tons of sisterlocks blogs: http://locksblogsphotos.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

thefineprint

I had locks for about 2 years. I loved my locks, but after a while I wanted more versatility. That's when I read in a magazine that you can comb locks out. The article said locks that had been in for no more than a year...but I figured I'd be brave. It took me about a month, 4 bottles of suave conditioner, and 5 broken rat tail combs till it was all out :lachen:I had to cut a couple inches because the hair was damaged, but it was still to my shoulders after all that. I relaxed it :wallbash: and now I'm growing it back out natural...:ohwell:

Looking at these sister locks is making me want to lock it up again. I'm so darn flighty :drunk:

Below: My locks at 1-2 yrs

i read a blog a few months ago where the lady combed her locs out after 3 years! :yep: i didn't know you could do that. She still had a beautiful head full of hair when she was done too