I want to self relax...Help!

godzooki

I've been thinking about this for quite some time (especially after my last disapointing salon visit) and now I'm ready to give self relaxing a try. Ok, I'm forcing myself to try it since I'm having trouble finding a trustworthy stylist in our new home town. We moved from Cali to TN (spring hill) and I've yet to find a A.A. specific, knowlegable stylist and I don't want to have to drive a long distance and still be stuck with crappy service. I'm at this momement planning my strategy and hoping to give myself a touch up within the next 1-2 wks. This is what I plan to do.

1. section hair in 4 braids, base each scalp section and coat previously relaxed ends with vaseline.

2. apply relaxer with gloved fingers starting from the nape area upwards. When finished with one section, clip and start on the other until all sections are done, smoothing with fingers.

3. smooth hairline and nape first and then resmooth sections one final time.

4. remove gloves, rinse with warm water

5. 5 min protein cond.

6. neutralize shampoo. leave on 5 min, rinse. repeat shampoo just in case.

7. moisturizing cond. 15 min under dryer or heat cap.

8. rinse in shower, leave ins and airdry.

Now, my questions or areas of concern are

1. Is vaseline ok to use to coat hair or will I have problems rinsing it out?

2. What is a box perm? I hear people complaining of them and want to be on the lookout. Is'nt it just a perm sold "anywhere"? Are sally's perms better than, say, Targets? I plan to use a mild so any suggestions? Leaning towards silk elements mild lye.

3. I would like to add some kind of oil to the relaxer before I use it to try to prevent dryness. Is this ok? Any oil prefference? (I was going to use olive oil) How much should I add and do you think this is really beneficial or should I skip it?

4. If I choose to do a color rinse in the future, is it safe to do it, say, after the neutralizing shampoo?

5. am I crazy for trying this?

I appreciate all comments and suggestions. I'm hoping that I prove successful at this and will be able to start self relaxing. I want to take the money I blow there and put it towards spa treatments!!!:grin:...or a Dyson, lol!

newflowers

1. section hair in 4 braids, base each scalp section and coat previously relaxed ends with vaseline.

Do you also have some silk proteins you can use before the vaseline? These work marvelously well.

2. apply relaxer with gloved fingers starting from the nape area upwards. When finished with one section, clip and start on the other until all sections are done, smoothing with fingers.

I think it is better to start at the crown and work outwards unless your nape is the hardest part to straighten. The nape and edges are usually the most fragile and should be saved for last.
3. smooth hairline and nape first and then resmooth sections one final time.

same as above - baby that nape and hairline

4. remove gloves, rinse with warm water
Super rinse - when you think you're done, rinse it again.

5. 5 min protein cond.
This works really well. Last time, I added the acv rinse step before this one. rinse with water, acv rinse, rinse with water, protein. I had white suds in two washes - very cool.

A box perm is one sold as a kit - I used Phyto's and I love it. I don't know about coloring.

5. am I crazy for trying this?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

Read and research, bite the bullet and do it. And then come back and let us know.

Miss*Tress

Just reiterating what newflowers said about saving the nape and hairline for last. The hair there is too fragile to leave relaxer on those areas the longest.

FYI, Sistaslick has a self relaxing tutorial in her Fotki album. She recommends practicing the touch-up with a deep conditioner first. Check it out if you get a chance.

Good luck!

godzooki

I never concidered starting at the crown but it makes sense...so after I part my hair in 4 sections, still start at one of the back sections but instead of from the nape, start at the top where the sections meet? I'd still be doing the two back sections before the two front, correct?
I had to wash my hair last night for an event so it's too squeaky clean to relax but I plan to do so hopefully by next weekend. I appreciate your taking the timme to answer a soon to be relaxer newbie's questions. I'm chewing my nails at the prospect of doing this but I'm excited.

Oh, yeah, what are silk proteins? What product has this or do you purchase it as is and from where? If it helps, I'm interested!

Last edited:

PrettyBrownEyes

I've tried 3x to self-relax and was disappointed each time. I just wanted to mention it because I know there is a lot of helpful instructions/tutorials etc. on LHCF but, when you are actually doing it it may not go as smoothly and you have to deal with the outcome (under processed in areas has been my case) until its safe to re-touch again. Just wanted to throw that out there.

MizAvalon

I'd like to suggest that you consider rinsing out each section before you move to the next. Of course this will take longer but I think it can really help with underprocessing since you're not rushing trying to get your whole head done before time runs out or you start burning. LondonDiva has a great tutorial with step by step instructions.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :)

SelfStyled

Hey there, I just wanted to give you the links that I have found really useful about self relaxing, they are written by Sistaslick. I think learning how to self relax can be so empowering. Not that I have mastered it yet, but I have been practicing with conditioners. Sistaslick says in her article that it okay to add 1/4 cup of oil to your relaxer.

Here's link # 1:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278572/getting_ready_to_relax_preparing_your.html

I found this one helpful because, I learned some things you should be doing before you relax.

Link#2

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...safely_applying_chemical_relaxers.html?page=6

She covers every thing.

Good luck to you!!!

UmSumayyah

Practice with a cholesterol conditioner first. Then you can get an idea of your speed and work on your technique.

when I did that I discovered I could not do a good job on my whole head in 20 minutes. Therefore, I relax the front half first, neutralize, etc., then do the back half of my head. HTH.

godzooki

thanks for all the great tips! I'm so nervous but I'm going to do it Sat. I will post how it came out after I'm done. I would like to try the ORS lye relaxer but don't know if Sallys carry it or just the no-lye...If they don't have that then I will try Silk Elements lye if they have it. Those two seem to have gotten good reviews. You guys are the greatest!