A Hard C & G challenge. Don't join if you can't hang.

MJ

I've officially completed this Challenge. I participated from Aug. 11, 2007 - Sept. 12, 2008 (13 months) :yay:. This is my last post in this thread. Happy growing everyone :).

ETA:

At Nonie's request that I share my experience...

I started this challenge at the same time I started the Wig challenge. By that time, I was (still am) a member of the Bootcamp challenge.

The Hardcore C&G portion of my regimen involved wearing cornrows or small plaits under my wigs for the ultimate low manipulation. (The Wig portion involve wearing the wigs as a protective style, and the Bootcamp portion involved the daily moisturizing, weekly deep condition, and very limited direct heat.) I have been very consistent with these challenges. They work very well together.

In the 13 months that I've been doing this challenge, I have had significant growth. Nothing dramatic, but I've retained just about all the growth that I received. I do regret not taking length shots before I did my last set of cornrows 3 weeks ago. But in the back, my hair grew from nape/neck length to past collar bone length (stretched), and, in the front, from between the eyes to chin length (stretched).

The challenge wasn't easy by any means. It was a challenge to always be wearing the same style, having my friends look at me funny and make stinging comments to me because I was wearing wigs, feeling frustrated and disappointed because I didn't get 6" in a year, etc. But I kept focusing on my ultimate goal. That keep me going.

Technically, I will still continue to do the Hardcore C&G because I plan on wearing cornrows underneath my wigs through at least May 2009, which will be my 3-year natural anniversary.

I'd said the post above would be my last because I figured that since I've completed the challenge there's no need to continue posting. However, I think I'll post pictures in this thread in December when I post updated pics for the other challenges. It was the OP's pictures in her Fotki, which is no longer available, that encouraged me to stay focused and consistent. The pictures were very inspiring.

Last edited:

Nonie

Thank you, MJ, for sharing your positive journey. Once again you've proved patience and faith really can take one far. Congrats on your accomplishment. :clap:

I'm in twists now and haven't felt like taking them out, so perhaps I will be signing up again too. :scratchch I'll sleep on that a little more though, coz I did have fun wearing my hair out. I even dusted my "Are You Nikos' Cousin?" T-shirt and wore it when I rocked my 'fro, just in case anyone was wondering. :lachen:

Do let us know when you officially start back for the next leg. I might be right behind you.

baddison

natural for good
I've officially completed this Challenge. I participated from Aug. 11, 2007 - Sept. 12, 2008 (13 months) :yay:. This is my last post in this thread. Happy growing everyone :).

ETA:

At Nonie's request that I share my experience...

I started this challenge at the same time I started the Wig challenge. By that time, I was (still am) a member of the Bootcamp challenge.

The Hardcore C&G portion of my regimen involved wearing cornrows or small plaits under my wigs for the ultimate low manipulation. (The Wig portion involve wearing the wigs as a protective style, and the Bootcamp portion involved the daily moisturizing, weekly deep condition, and very limited direct heat.) I have been very consistent with these challenges. They work very well together.

In the 13 months that I've been doing this challenge, I have had significant growth. Nothing dramatic, but I've retained just about all the growth that I received. I do regret not taking length shots before I did my last set of cornrows 3 weeks ago. But in the back, my hair grew from nape/neck length to past collar bone length (stretched), and, in the front, from between the eyes to chin length (stretched).

The challenge wasn't easy by any means. It was a challenge to always be wearing the same style, having my friends look at me funny and make stinging comments to me because I was wearing wigs, feeling frustrated and disappointed because I didn't get 6" in a year, etc. But I kept focusing on my ultimate goal. That keep me going.

Technically, I will still continue to do the Hardcore C&G because I plan on wearing cornrows underneath my wigs through at least May 2009, which will be my 3-year natural anniversary.

I'd said the post above would be my last because I figured that since I've completed the challenge there's no need to continue posting. However, I think I'll post pictures in this thread in December when I post updated pics for the other challenges. It was the OP's pictures in her Fotki, which is no longer available, that encouraged me to stay focused and consistent. The pictures were very inspiring.

THank you for your update! This is inspiring, and I know there is hope for me too!! I joined on May 4th, 2008 - to be exact. Originally, I joined with the intention of only doing the hardcore C&G for 6months. I'm almost there, and now I'm considering doing it for the full 1year!! I am encouraged!:yep:

baddison

natural for good
OK, y'all are so sweet. Y'all got a girl all misty-eyed and ish! Thank you kindly!

Believe it or not, I think S Curl is the secret. Honestly you should give it a try. I tried it on my mom and it had the effect of turning her pointy 'fro into a nice round one. :yep:

This is how my mom's hair looked before I insisted on trying my voodoo on her:

So I insisted she shampoo her hair with Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo and condition with Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner (I think a DC would have been ideal but we didn't have a dryer handy and were kinda short of time anyway). After towel drying, I had her apply S Curl the spray and comb. From then on her regimen until wash day became baggy at night after plaiting, comb in the AM. No need to apply anymore S Curl if the hair feels moist and soft and usually it does.

Here's how her afro looked after we made her regimen that simple and straightforward:

I think S Curl just makes even those pointy ends curl so there are none sticking out. If you're not too worried about shrinkage, then you really should try it.

ETA: I should mention though, that before you baggy, you should put your hair in plaits as it'll be easier to comb in the AM. Also I usually appreciate my hair better after a night of baggying; not so much on wash day since S Curl on damp hair can leave your hair feeling a bit dry after the water dries off--if you don't apply enough of the S Curl. So a second application might be necessary the night of wash day before plaiting and baggying.

Yup:yep: your mom's "before" is definitely what my head is looking like! I guess I'll give your solution a try. Thanks.

anherica

Here is my progress! I've been in twists and braids for a year, and frankly can't find a good reason not to do it for another one. Pics on top are from August '07 when I joined the challenge and pics on the bottom are from September '08 when I remembered I needed to update. These are shrunken twists, so some of my length is hiding in there. :yep: (I'll take some stretched pics and add them too during next wash day.) I had one trim of about 1-1.5 inches during the challenge due to some crispy ends that I couldn't save. I think I'm gonna ride this on into next year.
Congrats ladies for sticking with it! It was a great challenge and your progress so far is wonderful!:yay:

[url=http://www.pikistrips.com/clicked/27794553][img]http://hosted.pikistrips.com/comic_strip/s/image/27/794/553/comic-p.jpg[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:

Nonie

Anherica your hair is beautiful! I love how full it is, and the progress... :notworthy

I'm in twists now...although not yet on this challenge coz I am sure I'll want to wear my hair out soon. But what I wouldn't give to have them look as full as yours. BTW, I too love shrunken twists. Call me strange but I love the "lie" natural hair tells of its true length when it is "at rest". I love the surprise factor.

anherica

Thanks Nonie!! I love shrinkage too, it's always a nice surprise when I actually check length. I would love to wear my hair loose, but when I reminisce about the last time I did that (the detangling session that followed) I change my mind. :spinning: I'll live vicariously through you, until I get up the nerve again. :grin:

I_shure_do_wish

Well I decided to revisit an old theard, Im doing my own personal challenge and have been reading through some old theards regarding braid regimens and I have a few questions;

How do you baggy in your braids I dont quite understand that concept?

How do you keep your hair moisturized, specially what was/is your routine. What sorts of products did you use?

Thanks in advanced!

Nonie

Well I decided to revisit an old theard, Im doing my own personal challenge and have been reading through some old theards regarding braid regimens and I have a few questions;

How do you baggy in your braids I dont quite understand that concept?

I just put on a plastic cap over my braids. I might cornrow them if I want to wear a braid-out, or just leave them loose if I plan on putting them up in a way that their shape doesn't matter. Or I might wrap them to get a straight look in the AM.

How do you keep your hair moisturized, specially what was/is your routine. What sorts of products did you use?

Thanks in advanced!

I just wash/condition at least twice a week, one of those might be a CW. That's all I do for my moisture...and the baggying every night or when wearing wraps/hats. I don't do anything else. A lot of people spray their braids w/ braid spray or a spritz of their own making. Others follow the moisturizing regimen on Robin's website www.growafrohairlong.com

Last edited: