Relaxer ph info

beana

due to my recent urge to switch to lye, ive had to do some ph homework, below is a small list. Please feel free to add

Mizani relaxers: was not given a breakdown for each but their ph range is from 11.5-14 (the lowest ends of the range are the no-lye and fine /color treated formulas)

Design Essentials
Sensitive scalp (no lye) 11.5-12.5
Lo-lye 12.2
Time release (mild) 12.5-13
Regular 13-13.5
Super 13-13.5 :eek: same as the regular!

Phyto relaxer: ph range from 9-12

Affirm: was told i had to be a licensed stylist to get this info :confused:

no word back on ORS lye yet:mad:

surprisingly the no-lye formulas all have lower ph levels than their lye counterparts.

Radianthealth

It makes sense that a no-lye relaxer would be lower in PH because they are supposed to be weaker.

I guess this is useful in finding the formulation that will be most gentle on your hair while still getting the benefits of lye:confused:

lana

What PH should our hair be? What do you do to lower or raise the PH to where it should be?

loveable37

I never understood anythin about PH balance all tha but i do know it located on my shampoo bottle tha what we suspose to use after a relaxer treatment.

beana

the ph level is important (at least for me) because it lets you know how much the cuticle is raised during the relaxer process/ how fast a relaxer processes your hair. I have read sveeral articles that state that women shouldn't use relaxers with a ph over 12, so for women that would like to stick to this the ph level is useful info.

Also, my reasoning for looking this up is because i have fine hair that processes very easily... so being that i just purchased the DE regular i may consider adding oils or a dollop of conditioner to "pad" the relaxer formula a bit and delay the straightening.

morehairplease

beana said:
due to my recent urge to switch to lye, ive had to do some ph homework, below is a small list. Please feel free to add

Mizani relaxers: was not given a breakdown for each but their ph range is from 11.5-14 (the lowest ends of the range are the no-lye and fine /color treated formulas)

Design Essentials
Sensitive scalp (no lye) 11.5-12.5
Lo-lye 12.2
Time release (mild) 12.5-13
Regular 13-13.5
Super 13-13.5 :eek: same as the regular!

Phyto relaxer: ph range from 9-12

Affirm: was told i had to be a licensed stylist to get this info :confused:

no word back on ORS lye yet:mad:

surprisingly the no-lye formulas all have lower ph levels than their lye counterparts.

thanks bunches for doing this! I am really interested in the DE mild.

CAPlush

Thanks, I am very interested in the pH values of ORS lye formulas. I hope they get back to you soon.

There should be some standardization or labeling of pH ranges for relaxers so consumers can make better informed choices.

CAPlush

lana said:
What PH should our hair be? What do you do to lower or raise the PH to where it should be?

Your hair (and the rest of your entire body) should be slightly acidic, maybe around 5.5-6.5.

You can lower and raise the pH by using various different products that have lower or higher pH's. For instance, when you want to relax your hair, you must raise the pH for the chemicals to work from slightly acidic(5.5) to alkaline (8-9 or so), so you use a relaxer with the appropriate pH for you. When you want to bring the pH down, add neutralizer (something acidic) to get it back closer to your body's pH. This is why water (pH 7)will stop the action of the chemicals but will not get your hair back to it's acidic state. You need good acidic shampoo and conditioner to get your hair back to your body's acidic range.

A stylist told me that Phyto does not work at an alkaline range, it works around 6-7, that seems to be true since it seems the mild version only has a pH of 9.

gymfreak336

CAPlush said:
Thanks, I am very interested in the pH values of ORS lye formulas. I hope they get back to you soon.

There should be some standardization or labeling of pH ranges for relaxers so consumers can make better informed choices.

ITA; Thanks for posting Beana.

beana

CAPlush said:
Your hair (and the rest of your entire body) should be slightly acidic, maybe around 5.5-6.5.

You can lower and raise the pH by using various different products that have lower or higher pH's. For instance, when you want to relax your hair, you must raise the pH for the chemicals to work from slightly acidic(5.5) to alkaline (8-9 or so), so you use a relaxer with the appropriate pH for you. When you want to bring the pH down, add neutralizer (something acidic) to get it back closer to your body's pH. This is why water (pH 7)will stop the action of the chemicals but will not get your hair back to it's acidic state. You need good acidic shampoo and conditioner to get your hair back to your body's acidic range.

A stylist told me that Phyto does not work at an alkaline range, it works around 6-7, that seems to be true since it seems the mild version only has a pH of 9.

thanks for this info, i found it very helpful!