Help - Large Bald Spot - EEK

hennagirl

Please help, my friend has a large, I mean large 3X4 bald spot. What would you suggest for a topical treatment? She is not stressed, hasn't recently given birth, hasn't been burnt with relaxers, isn't ill. She has seen a dr who verified she is not ill. Please suggest something, she is going to have to wear a wig, if this gets any worse. Thank you for your help.

lnhair

I suggest she try MTG or boundless tresses or she can even try surge. I feel the first two or the best choices to get her growing back as quickly as possible. I suggest she stretch her relaxers, just to be on the safe side.

Golong

I say have her list everything she has used since the onset of the balding. If she used anything different, a new product perhaps she has added. Maybe different chemicals from different products aren't mixing well thus her sudden baldness? Just help her narrow down the problem, if she is healthy then its got to be something.

lisana

If she went to the doctor and she still doesn't know then she needs to be encouraged to go to another doctor. I fshe can't afford to , then she may want to do some research on medical or hair loss boards like WebMD

PinkAngel

You stated she hasn't been burned by a relaxer. I hadn't either, but I did leave traces of relaxer on my scalp which caused alopecia back in December. Thankfully it's grown back now. I used a topical essential oil blend (consisting of rosemary, cedarwood, jojoba & a few others)2xs per day to stimulate the growth. I'll post the recipe in a moment or you may try a search b/c there was thread regarding it in the past.

ETA:
Essential Oil Blend for Hair Growth
1. Thyme essential oil - 2 drops
2. Atlas cedarwood essential oil - 2 drops
3. Lavender essential oil -3 drops
4. Rosemary essential oil -3 drops
5. Jojoba oil - 1/2 teaspoon
6. Grapeseed oil - 4 teaspoons

Add the first four ingredients into a small glass jar. Mix well. Now add the remaining two ingredients. Mix thoroughly.

Massage this mixture into your scalp for at least two minutes every night. Wrap your head in a warm towel after treatment.

Last edited:

loveable37

I have a SISTER-IN-LAW right now with a 3/4 INCH BALD in here head iits been there for years she never knew what caused it .
ShE FOUND OUT IT WERE DUE TO STRESS!!!!!!:confused:

Nonie

msshic said:
You stated she hasn't been burned by a relaxer. I hadn't either, but I did leave traces of relaxer on my scalp which caused alopecia back in December. Thankfully it's grown back now. I used a topical essential oil blend (consisting of rosemary, cedarwood, jojoba & a few others)2xs per day to stimulate the growth. I'll post the recipe in a moment or you may try a search b/c there was thread regarding it in the past.

ETA:
Essential Oil Blend for Hair Growth
1. Thyme essential oil - 2 drops
2. Atlas cedarwood essential oil - 2 drops
3. Lavender essential oil -3 drops
4. Rosemary essential oil -3 drops
5. Jojoba oil - 1/2 teaspoon
6. Grapeseed oil - 4 teaspoons

Add the first four ingredients into a small glass jar. Mix well. Now add the remaining two ingredients. Mix thoroughly.

Massage this mixture into your scalp for at least two minutes every night. Wrap your head in a warm towel after treatment.

Thank you!!!

I have preached and preached about how good this stuff is for bald spots and even shared my experience. And before I had my BC in March, the bald spot I had in December 2003 had been replaced with hair that was about 10 inches long, and that is with my regular trimming and without me using that blend again after September 2004. I no longer needed it coz my hair had grown back. I guess I could've continued using it, but I'm so lazy. And I've never looked back. You can see pics of my hairloss and regrowth in a thread I posted in 2004. Please don't stop on page one; there are more pics later on in the thread. And I will see if I can find a pic from earlier this year or later last year that shows you how full my hair was in the spot that once had none.

I'm so happy to hear someone else that has tried this and seen that it works. The only other person I know of is our alopecia survivor, VickiD who refused to rely on just one method of treatment but combined anything and everything she could find - including this - and has never looked back as far as I know.

ETA: Duh! Forgot to give the link to the thread with my story. Sorry. Here you go.

Last edited:

Nonie

I'm sorry I couldn't find a picture that really focuses on the spot so you can see that there really is life after a bald spot even long after you give up the blend. But here is a summary of that thread in pics. I long forgot that I had a thyroid test done and it came back normal at the time I discovered the spot (Just saw some notes made back then). I was under stress around the time, so that and a food sensitivity might've been to blame.

Dec 2003 - very smooth bald spot about the size of a quarter, give or take:

Jan 2004 - the surface is no longer slippery smooth; some hair is sprouting near the center :

April 2004 - HAIR!!! The spot is no longer bald!

Sept 2004 - New hair growing in nicely - but you can see the difference in length between new hair and the hair that always was (bottom right pics, I twisted the two lengths for comparison):

I tried to recreate the original part in Sept 2004 to give a good comparison between the barrenness of Dec 2003 and the fullness of Sept 2004. So you can understand the location of this part - as this will help you locate the spot in the pics taken within the last year - it is made diagonally from the right-hand corner of my head (behind the ear) to the left hand corner of my head by my temple. (I was parting my hair to braid it when I found the spot). In the pics, I'm bending my head forward and the hand you see is my left hand is going over my head to the right-hand side somewhat behind my right ear.

These are the only pics I could find taken within the last 12 months that show that general area. If I had thought about it, I would've taken a pic to show the hair in that very spot:
Sept 2006:

December 2006

Please know that it takes up to 6 months for the blend to work, so your patience and persistence will be required. Trying to eat only wholesome food won't hurt. Don't let sugar or salt take the place of other nutrients that could be nourishing your hair follicles. Ask yourself every time you're about to eat, what good will this food do to my body? What nutrients will it give me? Is there any junk that I could replace with something with healthier goodness? And keep a positive mental attitude.

Last edited:

hennagirl

Thank you everyone for your posts, support and ideas. This is particularly frustrating as she is getting married in the fall and doesn't want to get married in a wig if she can help it.

AtlantaJJ

Thank you everyone for your posts, support and ideas. This is particularly frustrating as she is getting married in the fall and doesn't want to get married in a wig if she can help it.
I hope this turned out happily ever after...Any updates HennaGirl?

Lady Esquire

I advise against the wig for now, because they cause a lot of friction and stress to the scalp which might worsen her condition. I would also go see another derm who is more familiar with this type of problem. I recently visited my derm and she did all kinds of tests to rule out certain illnesses. She referred me to a endocronologist cause my testerone levels are extremely low, which may be the reason for mine. If that is not the reason, she will do biopsy in that area.

In the meantime, she has prescribed Minoxidil/Betamethasone to apply as a topical. She also approved my taking Biotin, B-Complex, (iron for my anemia) and my multis. I have also been applying BT as a supplementary topical (but only alternating with the Minoxidil...as to not interfere with its results).

Hope that helps.

AtlantaJJ

I advise against the wig for now, because they cause a lot of friction and stress to the scalp which might worsen her condition. I would also go see another derm who is more familiar with this type of problem. I recently visited my derm and she did all kinds of tests to rule out certain illnesses. She referred me to a endocronologist cause my testerone levels are extremely low, which may be the reason for mine. If that is not the reason, she will do biopsy in that area.

In the meantime, she has prescribed Minoxidil/Betamethasone to apply as a topical. She also approved my taking Biotin, B-Complex, (iron for my anemia) and my multis. I have also been applying BT as a supplementary topical (but only alternating with the Minoxidil...as to not interfere with its results).

Hope that helps.

My derm actually approved me wearing a lace front wig past my hairline as a great protective style. She also had me on the same Rx as you... I just rotated in a home made BT mixture and that seems to be doing the trick. I don't use the lace front adhesives any more, I just use bobbie pins, and the lace is so light it does not cause friction or breakage for me. I also take it off as soon as I get home and do my treatments (and most weekends) so my scalp can breathe... They have been a life saver for me as I deal with my hair challenges!

Lady Esquire

My derm actually approved me wearing a lace front wig past my hairline as a great protective style. She also had me on the same Rx as you... I just rotated in a home made BT mixture and that seems to be doing the trick. I don't use the lace front adhesives any more, I just use bobbie pins, and the lace is so light it does not cause friction or breakage for me. I also take it off as soon as I get home and do my treatments (and most weekends) so my scalp can breathe... They have been a life saver for me as I deal with my hair challenges!

When I wore wigs, they were never lace front. Based on what you're saying, the lace front sounds like it is so much more gentle than the cheapies I was using. Well maybe the OP's friend, if she has to wear a wig, then the lace front sounds like a good option.

AtlantaJJ

When I wore wigs, they were never lace front. Based on what you're saying, the lace front sounds like it is so much more gentle than the cheapies I was using. Well maybe the OP's friend, if she has to wear a wig, then the lace front sounds like a good option.
Most definately!! If you get the right color lace, you don't have to worry about a wig cap, I would just make my hair flat by drying my hair laying flat combed back. Some people do cornrows ...Very loose ones with no added hair would be good so that they won't cause tension on the scalp.