Texlaxers Support Thread

KnottyGurl

I performed a search and did not find a support thread dedicated to texlaxing. I only found a few threads with great, but little information. I'm currently relaxed but will be stretching and texlaxing in hopes of transitioning. I've underprocessed before, but not on purpose. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right when I do "do it on purpose".

If you already texlax, post some tips, products, pics. Share your method of texlaxing (how many parts/sections, how long you leave the relaxer on, etc.) or best products to use (relaxer, mosturizers, etc.) to help those of us that want to texlax too. Give us something!:lol:

I plan to texlax in about 10 more weeks, so......HELP!

TIA, ladies!:D

Gg

Last edited:

Radianthealth

Sorry Geechygurl

Here I is :wave:

Just Kidding :lachen:

I have been texlaxed for about a year. There is a difference between my texlaxed hair and my relaxed hair.

My hair is 4b and fine so texlaxing gives me body fullness and the texture that I love.

When I texlax I mix Silk Elements lye relaxer with olive oil and apply to my hair for 12-15 minutes. I will probably switch to mild silk elements to reduce the risk of scalp burns or I may go down to 10-12 minutes or I may do a combination of both. It is a learning process that is different for every person :)

I rinse and apply Aphogee protein for 2-3 minutes

Then I use neutralizing shampoo and fully rinse the relaxer from my hair.

I finish it off by doing a moisturizing deep conditioner.

One of my biggest concerns is keeping my relaxed hair healthy so that I can retain my length

Currently I stretch for 3-4 months

Last edited:

Wishin4BSL

Hey, I was just thinking about making a thread like this! I've been transitioning to texlax for 14 months now and it's going great. It's difficult to detangle, but my siggy pic shows my texlaxed hair after a relaxer and rollerset. I have layers, but I don't like them anymore and I'm growing them out.

My stylist is great! She doesn't believe in relaxing bone straight, she's helping me complete my transition to texlaxed, and she doesn't mind that I prefer to trim my own hair. I have three more inches to go! I am still too nervous to chop the rest of it off. Oh, and my stylist uses Optimum lye.

I don't know of any products, but I would love to find something to help me with detangling! Right now I just co-wash every 2-3 days and detangle it while coated in my Nexxus Humectress and ORS Replenishing Conditioner. It's not particularly helpful in detangling, but it definitely keeps ALL of my hair very soft. I've also stopped using leave-ins and just go straight for the coconut oil to seal in moisture while my hair is still wet.

I get a lot of compliments now on the texture and thickness of my hair! Texlaxing is great! I just need a detangler! I ordered some red palm butter and it should be here tomorrow so I'll let you all know how it goes!:D

Softresses

How I apply a relaxer By Me Softresses

Date Posted: 09-26-2006 at 11:02 AM - Comments (0)
Hi Everyone!

I am at just below BSL and have done my own relaxers/texturizer for YEARS!

I make four sections, since my hair is so thick I have to divide each of those sections in half.

I do a loose two strand twist with each of those sections, (making sure that the newgrowth itself is not twisted) put nutralizer shampoo on the ends and secure. I then start to put in my relaxer on one twist at a time starting with where I have my tightest curls (front,middle). I do not take down the twist before I apply the relaxer. The twists are very loose and secured only on the end loosely with ouchless bands. I work reallly carefully and fast. (You could say I only texturize.)

Once I have finished applying relaxer to the new growth, I take down the loose twists,
(this method really works to keep from getting the relaxer on the ends and to keep longer hair from tangling if you are doing it by yourself). I shed very little hair applying it this way.

I then nutralize shampoo until all the "pink" has turned white and then do it once or twice more (yes, I am paranoid). Then I condition.

I hope some of this will help.

Softresses,

(Sorry I was lazy and copied it from my journal).

Last edited:

KnottyGurl

All these ladies talking about texlax and nobody has anything to say! Well FINALLY! :lachen: J/K

It looks like you ladies like your hair straight but full. I am definitely going to add olive oil and separate the hair into banded sections. Have any of you just loosely relaxed the curl in the past? Maybe tried to go natural at one point? Can you wash and go your relaxed hair now (thinking about the Relax and Go support thread)?

Thanks ladies.:p

Last edited:

shynessqueen

I'm Tex and love it. I cut off all my hair Nov 05 and Tex a year later. I'm fully Tex. I use just for me Tex. I leave it in for 5 mins.:cool:

Chanel's Tresses

I am texlazed. I use ors relaxer and leave it in a max of 10 mins. My scalp is really sensitive so I burn easily and that is how I kind of discovered the method. I love the way I can still have wash n go curly hair and my hair is not bone straight. Now if you put any heat to it my hair looks all the way permed but during this summer I am trying to cut out all heat expect for the occasional roller set. Here is a pic of my hair wet as you can see it is still wavy and as it dries it curls and shrinks more.

KnottyGurl

Your hair looks really good! I just purchased the PCJ relaxer and plan to mix oil in it. Do you have a pic of it dry? Do you have any problems with tangles?

Chanel's Tresses said:
I am texlazed. I use ors relaxer and leave it in a max of 10 mins. My scalp is really sensitive so I burn easily and that is how I kind of discovered the method. I love the way I can still have wash n go curly hair and my hair is not bone straight. Now if you put any heat to it my hair looks all the way permed but during this summer I am trying to cut out all heat expect for the occasional roller set. Here is a pic of my hair wet as you can see it is still wavy and as it dries it curls and shrinks more.

Treasure2k6

I've been texlaxing with ORS No Lye for about 9 months now. I still have some relaxed ends but the majority of my hair 95% is texlaxed. I mix any type of oil that i am trying to get rid of and a moisturizing conditioner into it before i apply it. I section my hair into 4 areas and apply the texlax only to my new growth. I usually wait about 10-13 weeks at a time (tryna go longer) .

After i've rinsed, I shampoo with a neautralizing shampoo about 3 x's then I use OR Replenshing. At times I will deep condition with this. From that point i follow my routine of leave in's. I am strayin away from blow drying and heat but i have found it hard to airdry my texlaxed hair. So, i am looking for info on this as we speak. The versatility of being texlaxed has worked for me. It helped me to regain thickness as well. When i get my hair blown out of flat ironed it looks completely relaxed.(Don't really know my hair type) Any tips ladies??

Amour

texturiser/ texlaxer checking in... I tex with s-curl. I leave it in for about 17mins.

I text after i stretched for 12months, but I still have about 2inches of relaxed ends that I don't really want to part with now.

I am in love with the thickness my hair has, before it was sooo thin, lifeless and limp.

When my hair gets longer I am looking forward to trying out a wash n Go, it will look fierce, I've tried it on my hair now and it looks super cute but my SL hair shrinks to ear/neck length.

At the moment I am looking for a product/ technique that will help me define/ enchance my 'curls' without all the shrinkage.

lshevonne

Texlax checking in.

I did my first texlax touch in Mar 07. I'm still trying to learn how to take care of this hair and keep it up. I'm known for doing really well then stopping for no reason. I think this is why my back area has broken off. (That's an old picture when I joined LHCF)

I shampoo once a week unless my hair needs more.
Deep Condition, Detangle with Conditioner in hair,
rinse, apply Leave-in, some Oil or Serum. Once it's about 60-70% dry I
put in 2 low baby ponytails. I have to had more oil or leave-in to my ends
during this time if I want it to dry soft and some what smooth.
To get it even smoother I wrap with a scarf.

I've just started working on only airdrying and no blowdryer. I've always used the flat iron but I'm trying to cut back on that as well. It's very hard since my hair loves heat. I did cheat the other day when I washed during the week and after it dried. I took my curling iron and just ran it on top of the hair while it was in a low pony. I've been wearing a french roll all week.

sareca

I texlaxed wth Phyto II (for about 10 minutes). I stretch for 12 months. I'm currently 8 months post.

I love my WnGs although with 4 inches of NG they shrink my almost APL hair to above SL.:ohwell:

Here's my relaxer technique http://public.fotki.com/Serica/hair-to-stay/regime/pr2.html pw:sareca

My biggest issue has been getting consistent results. My first texturizer was perfect. It just took a tiny bit of curl out but I could still get it to rollerset straight. The second one a little too straight. The third was bone straight (in spots, luckily not many). I'm a little over 60 days from texturizer number 4. I think I've nailed down how to prevent overprocessing but only time will tell. :ohwell:

Chanel's Tresses

GeechyGurl said:
Your hair looks really good! I just purchased the PCJ relaxer and plan to mix oil in it. Do you have a pic of it dry? Do you have any problems with tangles?

Thanks :) . I don't normally mix oil in but I may try that next time. I am trying to stretch until at least October (my b-day). Pic in my siggy is my hair air dried air in a banna clip. I just put in two bantu nights and then the next day took it down and put a banna clip in. No problems with tangels as of yet but I know when my hair was longer and all the way permed I did but hopefully with just texlaxing I wont have tangle issues. I cowash almost daily also that helps a lot. HTH!!

RabiaElaine

Softresses said:
How I apply a relaxer By Me Softresses

Date Posted: 09-26-2006 at 11:02 AM - Comments (0)
Hi Everyone!

I am at just below BSL and have done my own relaxers/texturizer for YEARS!

I make four sections, since my hair is so thick I have to divide each of those sections in half.

I do a loose two strand twist with each of those sections, (making sure that the newgrowth itself is not twisted) put nutralizer shampoo on the ends and secure. I then start to put in my relaxer on one twist at a time starting with where I have my tightest curls (front,middle). I do not take down the twist before I apply the relaxer. The twists are very loose and secured only on the end loosely with ouchless bands. I work reallly carefully and fast. (You could say I only texturize.)

Once I have finished applying relaxer to the new growth, I take down the loose twists,
(this method really works to keep from getting the relaxer on the ends and to keep longer hair from tangling if you are doing it by yourself). I shed very little hair applying it this way.

I then nutralize shampoo until all the "pink" has turned white and then do it once or twice more (yes, I am paranoid). Then I condition.

I hope some of this will help.

Softresses,

(Sorry I was lazy and copied it from my journal).

Seriously that was a big help for me. I self-relax. I'm going to try your 2 strand twist idea. When I self-relax I've been parting it in 4 then parting each of those sections in 5 smaller sections so that I don't miss anywhere. I'm starting to realize all of that may not be necessary. I just need to apply a good coating to 2 smaller sections. This will help me to work faster.

How often do you relax?

RabiaElaine

I am texlaxed for about a 1.5 years. I have at least 8 inches of texlaxed hair at the crown of my head (where it's the longest). I still have about 4-5 inches of bone straight hair.

I almost quit texlaxing after about 4-5 months. I'm glad I didn't stop because I love the body my hair now has. If you are new to texlaxing and are getting frustrated, push past it and wait it out...you won't regret it.

I am contemplating switching from Affirm Mild to Silk Elements Mild. I started a thread on that, but haven't received any responses here. I am looking to get a slightly more "silky" (excuse the pun) texlax and less coarse. It seems that SE can provide me with that. If any of you have any opinions on this let me know.

Oh I relax no sooner than 13 weeks. I am currently 16 weeks post and plan to relax either this sunday or sometime next week. I've gone as long as 20 weeks since I've been texlaxed. I don't think I could stretch this long without texlaxing.

Radianthealth

Hi Rabia :wave:

I can't wait for your reveal! I use Silk Elements Regular. I like it but I don't know how Affirm works so it is hard to compare. The only reason I continue to use Silk Elements is because it is cheap, does not smell like relaxer, easy to find, and I want to be consistent with the brand of relaxer that I use. The only potential drawback is that the hair does seem to revert a little, I don't mind this because I like to keep as much texture as possible. Another drawback is that it can burn the scalp. The last time I relaxed I burned my scalp. I think it was because I still had trace amounts of Boundless tresses on my scalp. I am thinking about switching to Mild but I haven't decided yet. Hopefully that was enough information:perplexed

The product that I am most happy about right now is Aveda Damage Remedy. I am going to try and do a rollerset tonight using it :)

Softresses

RabiaElaine said:
Seriously that was a big help for me. I self-relax. I'm going to try your 2 strand twist idea. When I self-relax I've been parting it in 4 then parting each of those sections in 5 smaller sections so that I don't miss anywhere. I'm starting to realize all of that may not be necessary. I just need to apply a good coating to 2 smaller sections. This will help me to work faster.

How often do you relax?

Hi RabiaElaine, I texturize every 3-4 months, sometimes longer. I love doing the sections with the twists because application time is drastically cut. It only takes about 5-6 min total.

Softresses

yokourt

What I like about texlax'n is braid outs. They come out great! I got one in October 06 and I last had one May 07 to tell you how long I can stretch. I use to be a every 6 weeks relaxed girl. I have come a long way. I love my stylist, she is so good about only doing my roots. I use Affirm for about 10 mins and it runs me about $80.00 for the whole service, but I only go about twice a year. I only trust her to do it, so in the end it's worth it.

Attachments

• b w.jpg
    b w.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 248
  • 172636371973_0_1.jpg
    172636371973_0_1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 244
  • 171357312517_0_1.jpg
    171357312517_0_1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 192

RubyWoo

Softresses said:
Hi RabiaElaine, I texturize every 3-4 months, sometimes longer. I love doing the sections with the twists because application time is drastically cut. It only takes about 5-6 min total.

Softresses

Hi Softresses,

How long does it take to untwist each section? I'm loving your twisting technique because it seems like you won't get any relaxer on any of the relaxed ends. I'm relaxing in two weeks and I'm planning to use your twisting technique. TIA:)!

Anyhow to address the thread, I'm not sure if I'm considered texlax but I think I may be because I'm not bone straight and don't desire to be. I find adding oil to my relaxer very, very helpful. The last time I relaxed I added 1-2 tbsp of oil( EVOO & Aphogee EFA) and relaxed for the prescribed time (18 minutes). I relaxed about 90% where it was fairly straight but still a slight wave. This helped me achieve body. If you want more texture then adding more oil would do the trick.
The next time I relax, I plan to add 1-2tbsp oil and relax for 15min. I'm using a stronger relaxer and also using lye(Mizani) for the first time so that's why I'm reducing the processing time.

Last edited:

KnottyGurl

Softresses said:

Softresses

Your hair looks great! I appreciate the tips you posted. They will come in handy. 5-6 minutes to apply a relaxer? I'm definitely going to have to try that method! My only problem now is styling. I tried the braidout and the rollerset to no avail. My hair is about shoulder length but not all over. The hair either comes out too curly or (with the braidout) dry looking. I'm only 8 weeks post and the only thing I've been able to do is a weavy-tail. :p

Ladies, your pics show styles with long hair. Does anyone have any suggestions? What am I doing wrong? Anyway, I'll keep my eye on this thread. I am going to try to hold out for another month or two with any luck. Thanks ladies for your replies. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

KnottyGurl

I :love: your hair! So thick and so pretty. I'm definitely not going back to bone straight, ever. Thick hair just looks sooo much healthier.

yokourt said:
What I like about texlax'n is braid outs. They come out great! I got one in October 06 and I last had one May 07 to tell you how long I can stretch. I use to be a every 6 weeks relaxed girl. I have come a long way. I love my stylist, she is so good about only doing my roots. I use Affirm for about 10 mins and it runs me about $80.00 for the whole service, but I only go about twice a year. I only trust her to do it, so in the end it's worth it.

Aura

When I first came to this board last June, I had shoulder length hair and I just reached bra strap....thanks to all the wonderful ladies from this board. :) I've been texlaxing now for about 8 months. I started using Phyto index 1 which was great and I didn't have to time it really because it is SO mild! I just put it in, and no matter what, my hair would still be thick. But I decided to try something that wasn't so expensive since there was so many girls texturized who did it using cheaper brands. So I went on a quest and found the new Optimum bodifying relaxer for fine hair....and LOVED IT :D ! The Optimum Bodifying relaxer is specifically made with texturizers like us in mind it is VERY mild, but not AS mild as Phyto Index 1. I tried Isis's method of relaxing half of the head first for 10 min, rinse/ neutralize, get out the shower and relaxer the front half for ten minutes, rinse/neutralize, condition with a moisturizing conditioner sit under dryer, rinse/ infusium 23, then IC Olive Oil serum and roller set and airdry. This worked great so I don't think I'll be using Phyto anymore although Phyto is good too....I have no complaints about Phyto it's just $60.00 and I'm NOT a stretcher :perplexed , I don't go beyond 8 weeks, I don't see the need, my hair sheds less and it's still uber thick regardless....so why suffer (THANKS ISIS FOR SHARING YOUR TEXLAX ROUTINE! ;) )

For my washes, I part my hair into 8 sections, 4 on each side, put in a lil ORS replenishing pak conditioner (costs $1.00 from BSS) on each section and braid it, then wash with braids in it, mainly washing the roots. And since texlaxing, my roots are so thick, but since I have fine strands I still have to run a warm flat-iron over my roots at least 3/4 inches or it just doesn't lay down right. (I CAN"T LIVE WITHOUT MY FHI TOURMALINE FLAT-IRON:) ) I don't have to touch my ends however, since it's still bone straight. It'll probably take me another 2/3 years before I'll clip off all the bone straight ends, I'm trying to reach my goal to waist length first, hopefully reached by Dec 2008. Texlaxing has helped me keep my hair strands stronger, my nape and hairline is the longest it's ever been. Also, Infusium 23 helps!!!!. I notice from weeks 3 till I touch it up, I have to do the crown and glory method to prevent my hair from becoming tangled and matted....it works wonders and I have LOTS less hair in my comb now from detangling while wet, the crown and glory method is a gem for us texlaxers with 4bcdef....z hair. To see how to do the crown and glory method go to>> www.growafrohairlong.com go to washing...

I also still protect my hair with phony ponies and falls using the baggie method and washing 2x a week, it helped my hair grow VERY fast last year with NO DAMAGE! I'll probably go back to it in a month and continue it through the fall and winter months.

My staples now are
ORS Replenishing pac - pre poo for crown and glory method
Optimum Bodifying Relaxer (new texlax)
Aphogee Reconstructor (deep conditioner)
Jamila Henna regimen (week after my relaxer and every 2 weeks till t/up)
Aphogee Protein Conditioner (every 6 weeks)
LeKair Cholesterol plus (Softens like nobody's business)
Creme of Nature Moisturizing formula/Keracare detangling Poo
IC Pure tea Shampoo (clarifying)
Infusium 23 (original) (protein leave-in)
IC Olive Oil serum (sealant)
Mane and tail cond or Organics hair mayo leave-in with a lil Wonder 8/NTM
serum for moisturizing
CHI silk infusion or Silk Elements heat Protectant for flat ironing
Elasta Qp Glaze or TCB lite hair moist gel for hairline smoothing
Profectiv Break-Free Creme (moisturizer)
Vitapointe for UBER shine and a lil moisture (PERFECT FOR PONYTAILS!) :D

Softresses

Nixx said:
Hi Softresses,

How long does it take to untwist each section? I'm loving your twisting technique because it seems like you won't get any relaxer on any of the relaxed ends. I'm relaxing in two weeks and I'm planning to use your twisting technique. TIA:)!

Anyhow to address the thread, I'm not sure if I'm considered texlax but I think I may be because I'm not bone straight and don't desire to be. I find adding oil to my relaxer very, very helpful. The last time I relaxed I added 1-2 tbsp of oil( EVOO & Aphogee EFA) and relaxed for the prescribed time (18 minutes). I relaxed about 90% where it was fairly straight but still a slight wave. This helped me achieve body. If you want more texture then adding more oil would do the trick.
The next time I relax, I plan to add 1-2tbsp oil and relax for 15min. I'm using a stronger relaxer and also using lye(Mizani) for the first time so that's why I'm reducing the processing time.

Hi Nixx, it takes no time at all, there are eight big twists in all, sometimes 10. since they are loose it takes short time to make them and a short time to take them down.

I love the oil idea, redhotlala, does this and her hair is tailbone length and SUPER thick.

Softresses

Softresses

GeechyGurl said:
Your hair looks great! I appreciate the tips you posted. They will come in handy. 5-6 minutes to apply a relaxer? I'm definitely going to have to try that method! My only problem now is styling. I tried the braidout and the rollerset to no avail. My hair is about shoulder length but not all over. The hair either comes out too curly or (with the braidout) dry looking. I'm only 8 weeks post and the only thing I've been able to do is a weavy-tail. :p

Ladies, your pics show styles with long hair. Does anyone have any suggestions? What am I doing wrong? Anyway, I'll keep my eye on this thread. I am going to try to hold out for another month or two with any luck. Thanks ladies for your replies. I appreciate it.

Thanks GeechyGurl, I love wearing nice updos and usually will have my hair up most of the time. My hair is still curly too. I wrap it reallly tight and put on a scull cap to get it to dry straight. I do not use heat anymore so I don't flat iron. In the pics I had undone my damp wrapped hair. Carusos also work great too. If you do pinups try collecting pretty clips to dress them up so you don't feel bored.

HTH

Softresses

RabiaElaine

Softresses said:

Softresses

Thanks soooooooo much Softresses!!!!!!!!!!!! I relax about the same as you. But I have gone as long as 5 months before. I think I'm going to settle at 4 months.